Official New York Rangers Thread

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great game tonight after a big win yesterday. And another shutout by Lundqvist (5-0). Even though Florida is a weak team, our play was great, we worked together, we skated well, and we completely dominated the entire game. They really didn't have a chance the entire time. Let's hope we keep it up because the playoff race is so tight it's scary.

So, I went to a concert tonight in Manhattan. I saw a band called St. Vincent at a venue called Bowery Ballroom, which is basically on the edge of Chinatown. They have a small bar/lounge area, so I was hanging out there with some friends drinking a beer. Two of my friends to over to an area to the side where they are selling t-shirts and such and I follow them a bit. But it was a bit crowded where I was and I kept bumping into this guy whose back was turned to me, so I decide to go back toward the bar. After a minute or so, my friend comes running back toward me with this really odd look on his face. He points to where I just was and says, "Sean Avery is right there." Sure enough, the guy that I kept bumping into was indeed Sean Avery. I wasn't positive at first, so I found some not so stealthy ways to sneak around him and get a look at his face. It for sure was him. I was pretty darn excited since he's one of my favorite players and I've never really run into a sports figure before.Eventually he goes up to the bar to order a drink and there's a space next to him at the bar, so I went up next to him and ordered a drink. I then turned to him, nervous as heck, and said, "How's it going, Sean?" He looked at me for a sec, said things were going well, and then started talking to me about the band that he had just seen. I was so starstruck and so surprised that he was actually talking to me that I barely heard what he was talking about, but I somehow managed to say that the band we were going to see was good and that he should stick around. I admitted I was a big fan, shook his hand, and he said that he'd see me up at the show. He said he was very happy that the team was doing so well lately.I saw him walk up to the VIP area of the show. During the last song, he came back down, saw me, and came over to talk to me. He said he really enjoyed the show and I wished him good luck as he left. All in all, it was a pretty surreal experience. He was the nicest person and didn't seem to care at all that I was being a total fanboy.

So, I went to a concert tonight in Manhattan. I saw a band called St. Vincent at a venue called Bowery Ballroom, which is basically on the edge of Chinatown. They have a small bar/lounge area, so I was hanging out there with some friends drinking a beer. Two of my friends to over to an area to the side where they are selling t-shirts and such and I follow them a bit. But it was a bit crowded where I was and I kept bumping into this guy whose back was turned to me, so I decide to go back toward the bar. After a minute or so, my friend comes running back toward me with this really odd look on his face. He points to where I just was and says, "Sean Avery is right there." Sure enough, the guy that I kept bumping into was indeed Sean Avery. I wasn't positive at first, so I found some not so stealthy ways to sneak around him and get a look at his face. It for sure was him. I was pretty darn excited since he's one of my favorite players and I've never really run into a sports figure before.Eventually he goes up to the bar to order a drink and there's a space next to him at the bar, so I went up next to him and ordered a drink. I then turned to him, nervous as heck, and said, "How's it going, Sean?" He looked at me for a sec, said things were going well, and then started talking to me about the band that he had just seen. I was so starstruck and so surprised that he was actually talking to me that I barely heard what he was talking about, but I somehow managed to say that the band we were going to see was good and that he should stick around. I admitted I was a big fan, shook his hand, and he said that he'd see me up at the show. He said he was very happy that the team was doing so well lately.I saw him walk up to the VIP area of the show. During the last song, he came back down, saw me, and came over to talk to me. He said he really enjoyed the show and I wished him good luck as he left. All in all, it was a pretty surreal experience. He was the nicest person and didn't seem to care at all that I was being a total fanboy.
Not to complicate matters but if I met him all I would be thinking about is that he banged Elisha Cuthbert. His off ice prowess would have had me starstruck much more than his hockey skills I think.PS: I remember when I met my hero, Stephen Malkmus formerly of Pavement. I asked him what tunings certain songs were in. I think he was frightened.
That's pretty awesome on multiple levels, I'm sure I would just end up blurting out some stupid question that he would laugh at.

To all the Glenn Healy haters:Before the game started he said, what a terrible coaching decision in starting Niitymakki in net...He has lost 3 in a row and Biron has won 4 in a row..Its a huge game with playoff implications...Healy was dead on..

Not a great game by the Rangers, but we were able to come back and get a point out of it.However, I think Jagr looked as good as I've ever seen him. No one can deny that he completely dominated that game, or at least as much as one can without getting a point. Every time he touched the puck, the other team couldn't do a thing to him. He played almost as well last game, and many plays came within inches of being goals. If he continues to play as well as he has in the past two games, other teams should start being afraid.

Big game coming up today vs. Boston. We really should win this one and gain two more points over Boston along with anyone else who loses today. Hopefully our winning streak and Boston's horrible loses this week will set the tone for the game.

i could really do with jagr putting up some points. is he ever gonna score again?!
Yes, but he's become more of an assist maker recently. His line has not put together too many points in the last three games or so, but don't worry, they're by far our most efficient scoring machine and they're going to crank out big numbers toward the end of the season when they get out of their mini funk.As to today's game, Wow is all I can say. We didn't play particularly well. Boston played quite well. But today's game was nothing short of a goalie's duel. The puck went into a net once, and that was in the shootout. Henrik saved our asses time and time again.Here's what he did earlier in the season to Boston:
Here's what he did today:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoGIDrdCfQoYou can't really see today's save all that well in this small youtube link, but rest assured, it was quite fantastic. Watch a bit into it and they replay it several times. He makes the first diving save to the corner as it is passed and he blocks it. It then bounces out in front and is shot into the middle of the goal when he's lying on his side. He kicks up his right leg and deflects it off to the left. WOW.He was also great in the shootout. Another shutout for the KING!

Not a fantastic game on our part, and their goal in the first 14 seconds had me a bit worried. Somehow, we managed to eek out another shootout win. There were a few terrible calls against us in the second period which really hurt our ability to put together coherent offense. Somehow, we managed to kill a full two minutes of 5-on-3, which was pretty miraculous. Shanahan didn't disappoint in the shootout and Gomez sealed the deal.10-0-3 in our last 13 games. Not too bad.

Meh. Florida came and broke our streak. That's fine, though, we've done a pretty good job at securing our playoff spot. Though we still need to keep winning games, and Tampa Bay is a good place to start another streak.

I missed most of the first period, namely the two goals. I'm assuming we must have been playing well to earn two goals off of a formidable team. Let's hope we keep it up, this is a big game for us, especially after two really crappy losses.

The Rangers are the best team in the East right now...Good luck
Thanks. We certainly would be the best team in the East if we never made stupid mistakes like the two we made in the beginning of the 2nd period. We gave away two easy goals by a terrible chance and a stupid goalie handoff. Good thing we got one back too, so our lead is cut to 1.

oohhh, that was really close. It clearly went in, but it depends on exactly when the whistle was blown. I guess they just avoided a goal, but I don't know that the goalie had control of the puck when it was behind him between his feet, sliding past the line. Oh well.

Yeah, his "intent" to blow the whistle was before it went in. When I saw it in real time, live, I thought it was a goal for sure. I wonder though, if there was even reason to blow the whistle there, because it's not like anyone had it solidly covered, but I dunno. I mean, it was under his pad, but never really secure. Whistle goes when the ref loses sight of it, so that works for me.The Rags played a very good first period, but the second was just ugly for both teams. Tons of giveaways and mistakes. Makes for exciting hockey, maybe, but quite frustrating to be a fan of either team, especially the one down 3-2. :PHopefully we see a smoother 3rd, cuz I think that'd favor the Pens.

Yeah, his "intent" to blow the whistle was before it went in. When I saw it in real time, live, I thought it was a goal for sure. I wonder though, if there was even reason to blow the whistle there, because it's not like anyone had it solidly covered, but I dunno. I mean, it was under his pad, but never really secure. Whistle goes when the ref loses sight of it, so that works for me.
Yeah, I don't think it was secure, but since this is the criteria, I guess no goal.
The Rags played a very good first period, but the second was just ugly for both teams. Tons of giveaways and mistakes. Makes for exciting hockey, maybe, but quite frustrating to be a fan of either team, especially the one down 3-2. :club:
Pretty sick period. I thought we'd score for sure on that play where your goalie was out of the net awkwardly, but somehow the shot was blocked by a body.Third period looks to be going okay, though :ts