How Strong Is Your Home Game?

I play in a neighborhood/co-worker cash game monthly...7-8 regulars. .25/.50 cent blinds. We play on a Friday from 7 pm - Midnight. I would put this group up against most other home games. 4 top, strong players, 2 decent players and 1-2 poor players...and the poor players are very aggressive, so they have their moments. How would you rate your home game?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 years ago I started going to a regular home game. All these guys went to college together ( we are all in our mid 30's and up) and have been playing for like 12 yrs or something. We play the second Saturday of the month, 2 $25 SNG's. Starts at 4pm and we finish around 2am since the structure is good. We have anywhere from 10-16 players. We run a Grand Prix where we get points based on our finish in 6 months worth or games (12 total). $2.50 gets taken out of the buy-in for each person all 12 games and then the top 3 point getters get a share of that pot. We have one guy who makes trophies and such so it's pretty corny but cool. The main players are actually pretty good. They pay attention to the game, they take it seriously, and one guy who is a teacher used to grind it out in Vegas during summer vacation. Still does but not as much. He has cashed in some limit WSOP events in the past as well, so he isn't some weekend donk. Another player plays big tourney's all the time and cashed at the Bellagio Cup or something a couple years ago. Don't ask me how as he is a donk with lots of money to burn. He does very poorly in our game. Every now and then we get some dead money but all in all it's a pretty solid and competitive group. I think it is fun to play with the same people this much because it makes you make changes to your game so that you are not easily read.

i play 3 weekly home games.every thursday at my house $25 buy in 10k in chips normal 25/50 start blind, every half hour increse. doesn't hit 500/1000 untell 3 1/2 hours in very good structure. usally 9-12 players pays to 3rd. good game about 3 good players, 4 average and the rest r donks. good for the game. :club: next is friday nights me and whatgreatis drive 50 miles to this game. it is a 1/2 NL average buy in is $125 cap is $200 we always buy max. usally full table of 10. adn sometimes 2-5 waiting. there is an alltime dealer with a low rake. there is a few semi pros, 2-3 decent ( whatgreatis and myself) and then about 5 donks. there is usally about 2.5-5k in play after an hour or so. this is my most profitable game. u have lots of donks and then the semi pros always think they have the edge and true to make obv players. in my opinion. (whatgreatis will prob reply to this with a different opinion. :D ) we usally grind for 3-5 hours. it starts at 9 and we leave around 2 cuz we still have a hour drive home.then the family sunday game. obv i have a huge edge at this. except u cant bluff your mom!!! it is a $10 buy in 5k in chips if busto in first hour u get 5k rebuy for $10 if no rebuy at hour break and chip up add on 5k for $10 so everyone always puts in $20 max. usally around 7-11 players 2 decent rest r all out donks. the last 7 weeks i got heads up 5 times was with my mom. usally gets chopped cuz it is a fun family game but usally profit about $50 a week.

Meh, there are a few good players in my home game, and then there are a couple of semi-retarded guys that I'm pretty sure could do well in a deep stacked live event if they improved just a bit. Tom West (SBrounder) is a semi regular when he isn't out on the circuit, and both BKice and Toilet have played as well.

Well, there's this group of guys from here at FCP that play in Chicago that get together once in awhile to play. All I have to say isDONKS!!

my home game is the absolute worst donks! its at some rich dudes apartment and its one of the nicest apartments ive ever seen. 8 bedrooms upstairs.... and another 8 bedrooms downstairs. The blinds go up ridiculously fast and not one person knows when the action is on them.... .Its kind of annoying but I only play there for fun.

Well, there's this group of guys from here at FCP that play in Chicago that get together once in awhile to play. All I have to say isDONKS!!
QFT
my home game is the absolute worst donks! its at some rich dudes apartment and its one of the nicest apartments ive ever seen. 8 bedrooms upstairs.... and another 8 bedrooms downstairs. The blinds go up ridiculously fast and not one person knows when the action is on them.... .Its kind of annoying but I only play there for fun.
Same here... the only way I can have fun is if I'm drinking heavily. I hate telling someone that its your turn to act, but my buddies are soooo retarded that it is almost unbearable to play. I mean how many ****ing times does someone need to tell you that its your turn to act? They will be in the middle of some story when it is their turn to act, or someone goes to the bathroom and we have to wait for them to come back we dont muck their cards.Moral of the story, I hate my friends.And by the way it is only a $10 buy in, almost not worth playing.
QF....wait a second!Mark

The home game that I play in has about 7 regulars and about 4-6 occassional players that rotate in and out depending on availability and work obligations. We never have a table with more than 9-10 as the action dries right up. 6-7 players is perfect. Everyone who plays in our game buys in for $100 and you get $200 in chips (so essentially we play $0.50/1 blinds). We always play a cash game and never play tournaments anymore. You can reload at any time you like. Generally, each player comes with about $300-400 on them so there is about $2000-3000 in the room. We have 4 players that are good poker players, 4 players that are ok and 2 that are donks. The ones who are the donks have the most dough and almost always go home as losers. The problem with our home game is that we have a number of players who are SQUEEKY tight. No action would happen at our table unless myself and two other friends are leading the way. If we didn't push the edges everyone would show down the nuts everytime or fold on the flop.We enjoy playing with live straddles (I have seen a $1SB, $2BB, $4, $8 and $16 straddle on) and we always have a props game going on between 4 or 5 players. Our prop games are simple...pick two cards out of the deck and if they come out on the flop you get paid $1 per player if your is the only card out there...and you see it. If two of your cards are out there solo it is a $5 prop and if you get 3 on the flop its $25 a player. We have 4-5 agressive players at our game and 3-4 players that use the same bet over and over...if they bet $10 on the flop, they bet $10 on the turn. The average players in our game have to rely on an above average cards to go home winners.The hardest part about our game is trying to find regular dates. Almost all are married with kids and that throws a real wrench in our game!

I run a game . We play ten dollar tournaments with unlimited rebuys for an hour. Followed by 1/2 nl cash game. It is full of some of the worst players I've ever encountered. I never win. We have this one player who's daughter is dating an nba player so he has unlimited funds. The other day he insta called an eighty eight dollar all in raise on a gutshot. The all in kid had flopped a set of queens. Dude hit the gutshot on the river of course. He usually loses between 1000-1500.

I play in a neighborhood/co-worker cash game monthly...7-8 regulars. .25/.50 cent blinds. We play on a Friday from 7 pm - Midnight. I would put this group up against most other home games. 4 top, strong players, 2 decent players and 1-2 poor players...and the poor players are very aggressive, so they have their moments. How would you rate your home game?
i play with this jaimaican dude and his girlfriend some times.. shes freakin smokin.. and he is dumbed out by all the weed..other game is with my girlfriends brother and his preppy friends.. they think they're great, they're horrible. Easy to read.. most annoying thing.. I never get any ****in hands.
i play with this jaimaican dude and his girlfriend some times.. shes freakin smokin.. and he is dumbed out by all the weed..other game is with my girlfriends brother and his preppy friends.. they think they're great, they're horrible. Easy to read.. most annoying thing.. I never get any ****in hands.
LOL.Cuz poker's all about the cards.

I've posted this before, but I will put it in here. Our home game (which has not run in months). Is a 1/2 PL dealers choice between HE, Omaha, Omaha8b, A-5, 2-7 and if we play stud games we play 2/4 or 4/8 w/ antes.Buy in for 100 rebuy whatever, whever. Max been on table is about $4,000. A couple players that have played as high as 40/80 at Bay 101 and taken down some smaller tourneys. A couple of younger lagtards and a couple of old lagtards. Good mix, never hurting for action. Lots of prop bets and side action and drinking.Good times.

I run two games a week. Monday night is a 1-2 with average buy in of about $150. Some really solid players and some complete donks. Half and Half Id say. Then Wed night is a 2-5 with more donks then sharks. Theres also a 5-10 game with close to 100k on the table. Its not even poker, its a bunch of rich ass dudes gambling there ass off. And a 2-5-10-20 game (straddle and restraddle 90% of the hands.)

I run two games a week. Monday night is a 1-2 with average buy in of about $150. Some really solid players and some complete donks. Half and Half Id say. Then Wed night is a 2-5 with more donks then sharks. Theres also a 5-10 game with close to 100k on the table. Its not even poker, its a bunch of rich ass dudes gambling there ass off. And a 2-5-10-20 game (straddle and restraddle 90% of the hands.)
Huh? Is it 10 Handed with each person having 1000 BB? This makes no sense.

My home game is a little wild. We can sometimes get 6-8 grand in a pot with top pair decent kicker being a calling hand. Mostly the guys come alone, but some of them bring muscle, since there is always a little rough house. We used to deny guns but then the crooked guys were the only ones with guns. so now it's a free for all, don't bring your gun though unless you are ready to use it. We play in a houes that used to be haunted, but I aint never seen nothing from the dead that scares me half as bad as the living in our game.Funny though how when you win a pot, as long as you show they got no problems. One time a guy in our game was all acting bad, bluffed this big guy off a pot and showed. he joined the peace corp, heard he's building a bridge in Thialand now.Once the drinking starts then it goes downhill. Most night at least one guy gets his head bashed open.I would quit going but then if there is a raid they will assume you ratted em out and then you got problems, so best to just show, try to break even and keep your mouth shut.There are 2 seats available, anyone?