If Daniel , Wasnt Daniel

Here's a question, and I want you to really think about the answer before you post. If you could harness any professional poker players skill , who would it be? - Once you have that skill , do you think that your skill alone would make you as famous or as good as that pro currently is? Remember, think hard about this - Because I believe that if I turned around tomorrow and could play poker like Ivey, I still wouldnt have the name or the persona to give me that push in tournaments or cash games. You know what Im talking about ... People play differently against different people, and if you are who you are, but play exactly like Ivey .. do you believe youd get the same kinda action ? I dont believe so. I think if you took Daniel stripped him of all fame (nobody knew him from the next guy), and removed his money of course * but kept his poker skill* that he wouldnt be able to dominate the bottom of the barrel to get back to the top. So , this isnt a question of which pro you would like to play like, but more so do you think that you could dominate the game and move to the spotlight with JUST thier skill ?

I think if you took Daniel stripped him of all fame (nobody knew him from the next guy), and removed his money of course * but kept his poker skill* that he wouldnt be able to dominate the bottom of the barrel to get back to the top.
Why do you think this? I'm not trying to be an ass, it just doesn't make sense to me.It sounds like you are agreeing with the "it's easier to beat good players because they respect your raises" donkey argument.If DN is able to beat some of the best in the world, why wouldn't he be able to mop with floor with people less skilled than top pros?

Seems to me like there are a number of things you could be getting at.Like - would DN be as successful with the same poker ability but a different personality. I do think that his personality lends itself well to his playing style.Another thing OP seems to allude to is - what pros would be able to work their way up from the lowest limits. I'm not going to say that it's easier to play against good opponents than against bad but players like DN who rely a lot on reading their opponents might suffer when playing against a guy who appears strong because he actually believes that 2nd pair is a strong hand.I think if I could have any player's ability and would expect it would allow me to rise to the highest heights I'd take Gus Hansen's. Gus is probably the guy I think of first when I think of a pro who can quickly and appropriately adapt his game to the situation at hand. Of course I'd have to learn to speak Danish to understand all those notes he records.

Jesus did turn nothing into what 10K I think they can do it just fine.

Jesus did turn nothing into what 10K I think they can do it just fine.
Yes he did infact , but he was also "Chris Ferguson" on tilt when he did it. So people played against him alot differently than they would if some joe schoe had the same challenge. PsuJohn - Thanks for your reply it was well thought out. And yes , thats what I was getting at.

if you coud be you but not be you, would u be able to do what you do do without doing it, and when you get it done what will you do next with the same skill that you were stripped of but still have....hypothetical question, but it could be true 3 days from yesterdays tomorrow.

if you coud be you but not be you, would u be able to do what you do do without doing it, and when you get it done what will you do next with the same skill that you were stripped of but still have....hypothetical question, but it could be true 3 days from yesterdays tomorrow.
vnh!
vnh!
Id like to have Annettes skill.. Sorels skill.. and Lil holdems skill.. with my competitive drive and determination.. I guarantee id be the best tourney player in the world:)
I'd listen to what this guy says...I understand he's pretty good at being himself....J

Like everything in our world, it's not enough to be good at what you do. Take for example Bryant. If he was a nice guy that doesn't make any big stories other than his 50+ points a game, he wouldn't be as famous as he is. DN is fun to watch, and ppl love him because he has funny/smart remarks, not only because of his amazing reads. Think about DN that doesn't say what he thinks out loud, or tells everyone what his read is ... I don't think that would be a very popular DN ...

Personally, I would like to be Jennifer Tilly, simply for her pot-controlling abilities.

WTF?This whole question thing you got going on here is simply the right place at the right time.how many people know chris moneymaker? how has he been able to ride the tails of pokerstars for so long? or his 1 win ever.10 years ago, was rounders as good of a movie as it is now? does that make sense? did you even see the movie 10 years ago? what did you think of it?and today, how many times have you seen rounders since 2004? Is matt damon a better actor now, or 10 years ago, if you had matt damon's looks and skill sets could you be as famous... this is retarded

I think if you took Daniel stripped him of all fame (nobody knew him from the next guy), and removed his money of course * but kept his poker skill* that he wouldnt be able to dominate the bottom of the barrel to get back to the top.
I think he could get back on top. He did work his way up from the bottom once. People know who he is now, but I don't think that would be a big drawback. I guess it's possible that he has too much gamble to go play 10/20 properly again. The reality is that if he had no money, someone would stake him. His credibility is something of an asset.

I don't think there's enough large scale interest to make an actual tv show, but I would love to see a pro of Daniel's level of popularity sit down and play $1/2 No limit for a certain amount of time.I remember a few years ago (think that's right) that Daniel sat down at a smaller limit game, but he sat down with like $100k or so and played a lot of hands blind.I just think it would be great to see someone at that level go back and play a "Back to the Roots" game.I realize financially, it wouldn't be worth it for him, but it would be cool to see how they do and how they approach that game.I know in tournaments, it's often times like playing those limits at the beginning stages (he commented to the bad play in the WSOP ME this year).If you get a few days when you're not terribly busy, I'd love a report of you sitting at the $1/2 NL game (possibly $2/5) and letting us know how you did and what it's like. Also realizing that by doing this you create 1. rumors of being broke and 2. many people playing crazy trying to beat you (which skews the experiment some)Still would be cool though.Oh well, might as well dream some.

Id like to have Annettes skill.. Sorels skill.. and Lil holdems skill.. with my competitive drive and determination.. I guarantee id be the best tourney player in the world:)
Id like to have Annettes skill.. Sorels skill.. and Lil holdems WhatArunAA skill.. with my competitive drive and determination.. I guarantee id be the best tourney player in the world :club:

I could do it all over again if I HAD TO. The truth is, though, that it's not a realistic idea because of my status and the fact that if I needed money to play poker I could get enough so that I wouldn't be playing small anyway. As for playing in the smaller games, my people reading skills would actually be WAY BETTER as novice players have more patterns and tells than good players do. If I played small limits (live) I would cross book with anyone in the world. I've done this in the past with Ray D. in an $8-$16 limit hold'em game and it seemed pretty obvious to me that despite him being an awesome player, he simply couldn't earn as much as I could. He didn't get the gifts I would get, and he didn't try to manipulate his opponents verbally into doing exactly what he wanted them to do.

I could do it all over again if I HAD TO. The truth is, though, that it's not a realistic idea because of my status and the fact that if I needed money to play poker I could get enough so that I wouldn't be playing small anyway. As for playing in the smaller games, my people reading skills would actually be WAY BETTER as novice players have more patterns and tells than good players do. If I played small limits (live) I would cross book with anyone in the world. I've done this in the past with Ray D. in an $8-$16 limit hold'em game and it seemed pretty obvious to me that despite him being an awesome player, he simply couldn't earn as much as I could. He didn't get the gifts I would get, and he didn't try to manipulate his opponents verbally into doing exactly what he wanted them to do.
Yeah ok. But sprung and I made a lil daniel negreanu character on the Wii...(lil negs actually) and amazingly, the wii mii character runs awkwardly and sucks at golf. He gets far more dust clouds in tennis than musical notes and his hops aren't nearly as good as lil ali g.It's like...it knows.