*** Ottawa Senators Thread ***

Alfie: 5.2 mill for a 35-40 year old player? I'm not entirely sold to be honest -- I think if there was fewer unknowns w.r.t. to the cap this would look much better.Fisher: I didn't mind the deal at the time but really was scratching my head at how much of a 'discount' he really gave. I think part of the problem with him is that the Sens just don't have the players to compliment him.. which if they are going to give him 4.2 they should make sure that they do.Goalies: Auld seems to be doing the job.. though apparently he's a bit streaky. The team does need to worry about overspending on a 'real' goaltender with Elliot waiting in the wings. Hopefully there's a chance later in the year for him to get an extended audition before Murray throws Gerbs' 3.7 at someone else.Defence: I'm not suggesting that we go out and get an elite d-man -- just that when you are down to having Richardson play on a regular basis you are in trouble.
I'd hate the contract if Alffie has been declining these last few years. He's actually gotten better. Its not really a discount at his age but look at the money being thrown around at a guy like Sundin. 7-10 million for an older player who I feel isn't as effective as Alffie. The main thing is that next year they have only a couple of FA's and they will have money to spend. This year might be a bit of an off year but going forward I think they are in a good position..
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sens-Sabres   Bring a pillow.

Danny,   My private school wife disagrees. Sadly so do I. I was pretty adamant that we weren't going to pay for private school but now that he's here and it's getting close deciding on schools, I'm

Oh crap I missed the obvious one Lidstrom. Debate over.

Posted Images

The Nikulin "Era" is over in Ottawa/Bingo -- he was traded for a bag of pucks to Phoenix (Drew Fata).Obvervations:- Nikulin wasn't all that good -- his most fame came from his blog that was translated on the fhboards- Phoenix is Ottawa's dumping grounds (Nikulin, Kaigorodov, McGrattan)- If Nikulin thought he had a tough time cracking the lineup in Ottawa good luck in Phoenix- Not sure why we even bothered getting Fata... just one more warm body to take away time from developing youth

The Nikulin "Era" is over in Ottawa/Bingo -- he was traded for a bag of pucks to Phoenix (Drew Fata).Obvervations:- Nikulin wasn't all that good -- his most fame came from his blog that was translated on the fhboards- Phoenix is Ottawa's dumping grounds (Nikulin, Kaigorodov, McGrattan)- If Nikulin thought he had a tough time cracking the lineup in Ottawa good luck in Phoenix- Not sure why we even bothered getting Fata... just one more warm body to take away time from developing youth
He's mid 20's with NHL experience. Probably won't crack our NHL roster but this year the Sens wanted to make the Baby Sens a better team and that's probably why we got him.

I wouldn't say we dominated Washington tonight but the Sens certainly heavily outplayed them. With some better luck and Johnson not standing on his head this could have been 5 or 6 to 1. Auld was very good. They keep this up and they will be making the playoffs. Good to see Fisher finally get his first assist and goal of the year.

Honestly, those were the best seats I've ever had. I splurged on them when they went on sale. I got good tickets for the 50% off games too, Phoenix (11th row, corner), and the Florida game (2nd row, 2nd deck, one section over from the center), and basically, I can't see myself ever going back to the nosebleeds, lol. I wish they offered more 50% off games, $65 for those seats and games was ludicrous.I'm trying to decide on what to get for December and January. I don't see any 50% off games this time around, and I can't afford good seats to all the games I'd want to see, so I think I'm going to go with quality over quantity with this one, and just get one or two 2nd level games, or something like that. I've already got Pens tickets for Dec 6th, as I used some presale coupon. I got 3rd row, penalty box side of the ice, the end where the Pens shoot twice, one section from the centre, again. Basically exact opposite of the Caps tickets, but I dunno what I'm gonna do for the rest. There's also no teams that really stand out as the team to see.

Shitty to lose 2-1 tonight. Had a potential goal not count in the 1st. Both Heatly and Spezza were celebrating but nothing was conclusive to show it went in. Based on there reactions and where Leighton's glove was it was probably in, oh well. Gerber was solid which was a nice change but we faltered in the 3rd. Good to see this team playing well recently. Need to get a few more goals though to put games away when we're outplaying the opposition.

• 2 weeks later...
Ugh, why are we using Vermette in the shootout when he's struggling to score right now.
I agree. He just doesn't have a goal scorer's touch. I thought Bell was gonna get a chance by what the announcers were saying. I wonder if it was just a coincidence that the Habs all went to the backhand or if they have some info on Auld.
I agree. He just doesn't have a goal scorer's touch. I thought Bell was gonna get a chance by what the announcers were saying. I wonder if it was just a coincidence that the Habs all went to the backhand or if they have some info on Auld.
They probably did. Ottawa has been in a few shootouts recently so there's some fresh scouting on him available right there. Even if Vermette did have a decent scoring touch, when he's failed to score on his last 3 or 4 break aways, missed his last shootout attempt and other good chances you just don't go with him. Maybe you give a Kovulchuck the benefit of the doubt but even his coach probably wouldn't go with him if he had been sucking that hard recently.I rather see a kid like Zubov go. Price knows nothing about him and we all know how beginners luck works.
I kinda like the look of these 3rd jerseys the more I see them.They'd look 3.8 times better with a logo on the front, but the striping pattern and colours look pretty cool on the ice, imho.
Really? I was going to say that I'm not a fan of them. I can live with the colors I guess, just really hate the SENS on the chest. And that was some nice goaltender interference from Ruutu.
Really? I was going to say that I'm not a fan of them. I can live with the colors I guess, just really hate the SENS on the chest. And that was some nice goaltender interference from Ruutu.
Ya, Ha, I just saw the replay, and it definitely could have been called.I just think they look sharp on the ice, mostly from behind. The logo, or lack thereof, really does ruin them, though.The biggest thing, is that I've always thought the Sens should be in black. I don't mind the red, but they were black when they came into the league in the early 90s, and I just always thought the black, with red and white looked really sharp.I guess being red and white, primarily makes the most sense, being in the capital, and all.
I don't mind the Sens actually.. better than the semi-circle that Dallas and Vancouver have to use to shoehorn their city names in. I suspect that it will grow on people. What I don't like as much however, is all of the colouring under the arms... might have been nicer to go with something less busy there.And I know on hfboards people much prefered the basic black uniform with the O on the front -- IMHO it conflicts way too much with the 67s.
I like the new jerseys. Not the very best but a good change from the primary ones. Also, the Alfredsson goal shouldn't have counted but I feel the Foligno one should have so its even.
I didn't see the Foligno one, but that's what one of the studio guys said, as well.Also, on the replay, Ruutu ran himself into the net, then tripped over it into Valiquette. It looked like an accident, but it never is with Ruutu, and I'm surprised it didn't get called. If any other player made it look that good, it would have been an obvious accident, but Ruutu's rep usually gets that goal called back (rightfully).
Behold the power of the Moustache!moustache.png(Apparently the Sens have a month-long moustache growing contest)
Oh man, I was just complaining to Zach about how ugly Alfredsson was on the Sens homepage. They finally changed it tonight, it's still bad, but not as bad as the close up of his face they had before.

J-Bo being traded to Ottawa? The team is rumoured to have the best offer on the table."I don't want to speculate on who Ottawa might be offering up but its pretty obvious what the bargaining chips would be for Ottawa when dealing with Jacques Martin and the Panthers. Florida ownership has made it clear they would like to cut some salary with the Panthers struggling out of the gate.""A package of a Jacques Martin favourite, a puck moving prospect and high pick seems like the most logical offer Murray and the Senators could put forward. Will it be enough? We will know soon enough. "Kind of hints at:Vermette, Lee/Schubert, 1st*?*1st being conditional on J-Bo signing.

J-Bo being traded to Ottawa? The team is rumoured to have the best offer on the table."I don't want to speculate on who Ottawa might be offering up but its pretty obvious what the bargaining chips would be for Ottawa when dealing with Jacques Martin and the Panthers. Florida ownership has made it clear they would like to cut some salary with the Panthers struggling out of the gate.""A package of a Jacques Martin favourite, a puck moving prospect and high pick seems like the most logical offer Murray and the Senators could put forward. Will it be enough? We will know soon enough. "Kind of hints at:Vermette, Lee/Schubert, 1st*?*1st being conditional on J-Bo signing.
If I were an Ottawa fan I wouldn't want to see Lee included. I think he'll be just as good, if not better, than Bouwmeester and at a cheaper price right now.