Personally, I NEVER (extremely rarely) tilt in sit n go's or tournaments. In cash games, I find I tilt much more often. wats up wit it? no really though. I'm trying to learn not to tilt in cash games but for some reason it's much harder not to and it's also more expensive to tilt there since the M situation is so much higher. If I didn't tilt there I could maintain 12bb/100 rather then my current 8bb/100. An expensive habit. Anyone have theories as to why I tilt more when playing cash rather than tournament structured games? anyone else find themselves with a similar dilemma?Gabe.

Personally, I NEVER (extremely rarely) tilt in sit n go's or tournaments. In cash games, I find I tilt much more often. wats up wit it? no really though. I'm trying to learn not to tilt in cash games but for some reason it's much harder not to and it's also more expensive to tilt there since the M situation is so much higher. If I didn't tilt there I could maintain 12bb/100 rather then my current 8bb/100. An expensive habit. Anyone have theories as to why I tilt more when playing cash rather than tournament structured games? anyone else find themselves with a similar dilemma?Gabe.
you are pretty new to cash games right?? Well I think poker is just like playing the guitar you have to build a calus to all the horrible beats. Give it time and eventually you won't care...Or maybe it is because it is directly related to money you just lost... either way stuck it out it will get easier.
I tilt way more in tournaments, cash games you just go back and reload, it's no big deal to me. I think if you tilt too much in cash games, the money is an issue and in which case you should drop levels.I keep a big roll relative to the stakes I play, so I can take a pretty big hit until it starts to sting, which is usually about a 15+ buyin swing or more.For tourneys, getting so deep and getting double ur buyin back just infuriates me so bad. Or bubbling a tourney
For tourneys, getting so deep and getting double ur buyin back just infuriates me so bad. Or bubbling a tourney
I always sit in a cash game after and blow off a buyin. Then I realize I am on crazy monkey tilt and sit out....
I tilt way more in tournaments, cash games you just go back and reload, it's no big deal to me. I think if you tilt too much in cash games, the money is an issue and in which case you should drop levels.I keep a big roll relative to the stakes I play, so I can take a pretty big hit until it starts to sting, which is usually about a 15+ buyin swing or more.For tourneys, getting so deep and getting double ur buyin back just infuriates me so bad. Or bubbling a tourney
I keep at least 50 buy ins for a level for 6max. I play 200NL and 400NL. but when i get sucked out for pots or make the wrong decision (especially making the wrong decision) it makes me play worse and i find myself trying to force things to happen. I don't open shove Q2 or anything like that. I don't tilt like that. I bluff when I know i'll get called down and I call when I know i shouldn't. I usually quit quickly after noticing this, but still...Gabe.

I'm actually the opposite of you Gabe. I find myself tilting in tournaments far more than I do in cash games. I know the exact reason why I tilt though. I tilt in tournaments because I will build a decent stack and then find it being chipped away due to bad luck or bad beats. I start to tilt because I allow myself to think about how much better of a position I would be in if I didn't run so poorly in certain spots. Anyone else strggle with this?

at a $10 max buyin table. Just nut bar and get it out of my system. Seems to save me money in the long run

I tilt really bad in cash games once a month and wash away my profits ( had a 7 buyin swing down from tiltiing). Even though I get more mad when I lose a 5 or 10 dollar tournament than when I lose 100 bucks.

When you feel the tilt coming on, do my favorite thing. Sit down in $.02 - >.04 limit with people who have $1 on the table. Buy in for $5000, put a piece of paper over your cards, tape it there and cap every single hand on every single street. When you win a monster pot with 49o and crack KK... laugh and laugh. And make sure to tell the guy with KK how bad he plays. Then, return to your normal game feeling better with a smile on your face.Oh yeah, and remove the tape at some point.

For tourneys, getting so deep and getting double ur buyin back just infuriates me so bad. Or bubbling a tourney
This is one of the reasons I tilt. I tilt because you work so hard to get far in a tourney and are making correct decisions and so one and your cards just don't hold up to the 2 or 1 outters.I don't know if this is tilt, but yesterday I'm playing in an SNG, but this player one player whenever I was in a pot with him and it would be checked down all of a sudden he would bet like 1000 into a 160 pot. It sorta ticked me off. So some hands later I'm the SB and he's BB, I raise it he calls me with some crap and I double his butt up on the flop. So next orbit when I was SB I just went all-in. I did this the rest of the SNG, everytime he was in the BB I just went all-in, I didn't care what cards were and other players noticed so they stayed outta my way. He started calling me a d!ckhead and azzhole. Lol. Basically, I blinded his azz down to nothing. I was happy. :club: (Ok, a small brag post)
When you feel the tilt coming on, do my favorite thing. Sit down in $.02 - >.04 limit with people who have $1 on the table. Buy in for $5000, put a piece of paper over your cards, tape it there and cap every single hand on every single street. When you win a monster pot with 49o and crack KK... laugh and laugh. And make sure to tell the guy with KK how bad he plays. Then, return to your normal game feeling better with a smile on your face.Oh yeah, and remove the tape at some point.
i tilt right after this happens to me...lol

I was going to say I never tilt in sngs, but occassionally I will overthink a situation or overbluff a pot. But these are rare cases and usually have nothing to do with how stupid my opponents are or if I've taken a bad beat or having cashed in 4-5 attempts. Usually it's when I'm playing tired or I'm not focusing as much on the game as I should.I never tilt in tournaments. Doesn't mean I play perfect, but my emotional state throughout usually goes between neutral and positive. Probably because I don't buyin very high compared to my bankroll, so losing 10-20 in a row wouldn't even bother me. I play them for fun and to challenge myslef, so as long as I feel I played well and made very few mistakes I'm happy with the results.I tilt in nl cash games. Usually, for some dumb reason, I'll play nl cash games when I'm already close to tilting. Mostly because of the bordom that sngs can generate.In the cash games I play, people play so terrible, that, if I get sucked out on, I get annoyed and try to force the action more than I should. Also like you, I play 6-handed, which I think leads to a more tilty situations than a full table would, since you have to play more hands and you end up getting in trickier situations.So, now I play a lot more Stud hi/lo and razz, which for some reason I never find myself tilting off money on. Both those games are more mechanical than nl holdem, which means, once you know a solid strategy, you can hunt for tables with bad players and, with a little patience, be very confident in coming out a winner.I think in a tournament or a sng, I know exactly how much I stand to lose or win, which keeps me in a proper frame of mind. In a nl cash game, if I'm reckless enough I could lose my entire roll, or double it. It can lead to bad emotional state. Emotions don't make good poker players.

this player one player whenever I was in a pot with him and it would be checked down all of a sudden he would bet like 1000 into a 160 pot. So next orbit when I was SB I just went all-in. I did this the rest of the SNG, everytime he was in the BB I just went all-in,
So essentially you found someone using a poor strategy (betting huge into tiny pots) and decided to counter that poor strategy by using it yourself?Just think about that for a sec. I'm sure you'll get it.Yes, I know - tilting and emotional response vs rational response ...There's something I like to remind myself of that I figured out (all on my own) that helps avoid tilt in situations like this like someone pushing every hand or betting huge into small pots:- if it's a poor strategy then it hurts them and helps me so it's a good thing- if it's not a poor strategy I can't exactly be mad a someone for using a good strategy in a competitive game and I should learn from it and perhaps incorporate the strategy.Now of course that doesn't say anything about how to counter the strategy and it's certainly easier to do in a cash game than in a tourney but still ...
Because ysap?

I've always thought I wouldn't tilt and was pretty levelheaded. But after examinating my play over the last 2 months in the rebuy-tournaments this night gave me a clear view. I always play the rebuys up to 20 dollars buy-in and I have had some decsent scores.The last 2 months I am the rebuy-maniac from heaven for some players. If you like having a small gamble at the rebuytable I'm tha guy you want at your right side.This night I spend in 1 tournament:Double-rebuyDouble-rebuyDouble-rebuyDouble-rebuyDouble-rebuyDouble-rebuyDouble-rebuyDouble-rebuyDouble-rebuyDouble-rebuyrebuyrebuyrebuyrebuyrebuyrebuyrebuyrebuyrebuyrebuyrebuyrebuyrebuyrebuyrebuyrebuyrebuy... add-onThat's a hundred-and-fourteen dollars in a 3 dollar rebuy tourny. If that is no monstertilt I dunno what is. The last few months have all been the same without any nice scores.I realy have to stop playing rebuys. It's like having a legal tilt or something. Hey it's a rebuy so it is OK TO GO CRAZY!!! No i's not so I have a bad leak in my game to fix.I'm in the 10 dollar rb right now, but it wil be my last for a long time.Jan

So essentially you found someone using a poor strategy (betting huge into tiny pots) and decided to counter that poor strategy by using it yourself?Just think about that for a sec. I'm sure you'll get it.
After the few first times it was just fun doing it every single time after that. :club:

The only time I tilt in a tourney is when I play bad then I get mad at myself or when I make the Final Table and don't win. But otherwise why tilt? Busting out is to be expected, you can't win every one. No matter how well you play you're only going to cash ~20% of the time so why tilt?