Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

you make a good point, but to be fair, people could say the same thing about your opinion. have you played with him? do you only judge by tv shows. how do you know he's better than 99.98 percent of FCPers. how do you know he's good?i didn't really watch his tournament play, but from what i've seen of his cash game play he is really bad. he limped and called limps with his premium hands very often. he was squeezed with a large raise and called with a top pair hand, a shitty one at that (KQ) playing deep stacked. he is a losing player on pokerstars high stakes cash. the other players reeeaally wanted him to stay and play longer on HSP. after 12 months of playing poker has he made or loss money? (a year is starting to be long enough to tell if you're any good).the fact that johnny chan trained him, doesn't prove he's good. michael jordan could train me to play basketball, but i'd still suck.

How so? Have you played with him? Or do you only judge by TV shows?Jamie didn't play 80-90% of the events so I dont see why people were expecting him to win another bracelet. Sure, he got outplayed by the pros on HSP and PAD #1 (He played well in his 2nd appearance minus one mistake), but all of us would. Just because he doesnt win a bracelet, or doesn't go deep doesn't make him a fluke. He's coached by Johnny Chan, so again that probably makes him better than all of us. Hey guess what, Chris Moneymaker FTed a WPT right after, does that mean he's not a fluke? People seem to be jealous because he caught the sickest run of cards in the ME and won 12 mill. I guess it's only natural. Sure, most of us would be able to win with the rush he got, but that doesn't make him a terrible player. He's not as good as most pros, but he's a hell of a lot better than us amateurs.
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

atleast he is not as bad as that guy who checked a straight flush on the river very late in the Main Event and follow it up by saying "oh i was hoping you would bet".....
um, fyi, that was jamie gold.
Watch the vid again. He stood up. Didn't call. Jamie is a nutso crazy person who freaked out and Wasicka didn't fight it, for reasons he set out in a bluff mag article.
Whaaaaaaaaaaat? Jamie is a lunatic (I mean that as a compliment), but Wasicka didn't call cuz "He was freaked out"...he called becuase Jamie trapped him.OBV he RAN LIKE GOD...everyone who wins the ME basically HAS TO RUN LIKE GOD! But to say he played bad...especially after he got the big stack...is just plain wrong.It's funny...when Raymer won in 2004 EVERYONE labled him a luckbox donkey. Then when he made the run again in 2005 Raymer was SUDDENLY a great player. Did his game change? NO...our perception changed because he proved the 1st time WAS NO FLUKE.Now I don't know if Gold will be a 1 hit wonder or not...time will tell. Like Teddy said...his mentor is JOHHHHHHHHHHHHNNY FRIGGGGGGEN CHAN. I have had some UNREAL poker mentors...NONE of them were Chan. (No insult Steve, Jamie, Mark etc....) For Chan to spend time mentoring you, it can't JUST BE FOR $$$. You have to have some sick skill for him to take time to mentor you.Last...I stand behind what I said about his perfromance. IT WAS THE GREATEST BIG STACK POKER DISPLAY IN WSOP ME HISTORY!!! If it was Allen Cunningham, Ivery, DN, etc...we would have never stopped gushing at how "great" they played if they had done the same things he did. He RAN OVER THE FIELD for 4 days....REPEAT....RAN OVER THE FIELD. /end rant
Whaaaaaaaaaaat? Jamie is a lunatic (I mean that as a compliment), but Wasicka didn't call cuz "He was freaked out"...he called becuase Jamie trapped him.
never said he did, I said jamie thought he had called and freaked out, but wasicka didn't (yet?).....bah nevermind. He's a d-bag with an above average table perception and a sick siiiiiiiiick mentor, who coolered countless people. To support people who think the ME is a bit over-rated, "it's just one tournament".bah nevermind. I guess i'm alone in this.
um, fyi, that was jamie gold.
HMMMMM I DIDNT THINK THE SW WAS NEEDED IN MY POST BUT OK atleast he isnt as bad as the guy who checked the straight flush on the river deep in the Main Event and said i was hoping you would bet......SW (BECAUSE IT WAS JAMIE GOLD I AM MAKING A JOPKE JAMIE GOLD HAD A STRAIGHT FLUSH AND CHECKED IT ON THE RIVER)

I know people who have played with him before the ME, and was beating 10/20 NL BEFORE the ME. No, I haven't played with him, but people who actually do, have respect for his game. The only ones that don't, are people who think they are better than they really are and just hate on him because he ran good for 2 weeks. Oh, and to be honest, the majority of us would be dickheads too if we ran that good.To Joe the pro, lets say you win the ME for 8 million dollars, you get sponsored by pokerstars, and they stake you in HSP and Poker After Dark and Countless WSOP events. Do you think you can win? Do you think you'd be a winning player? Even if you were a high stakes player, it's VERY VERY VERY TOUGH to be a winning player in those events. On HSP and PAD, you are playing in a table full of pros, and like I said, Jamie is not better and will not beat a table of pros. All I'm saying is that all of the people here who bash Jamie Gold, will a) never have as much money as him and B) will never be as good as him.I'm not trying to make Jamie as some sort of God, and even say he's not a fluke. I just think this hatred is unwarranted and the people who say that he sucks, don't know what they're talking about.EDIT: I'm not even gonna go into the straight flush deal, I guess if we judged everyone by one bad play we'd all suck at poker.

HMMMMM I DIDNT THINK THE SW WAS NEEDED IN MY POST BUT OK atleast he isnt as bad as the guy who checked the straight flush on the river deep in the Main Event and said i was hoping you would bet......SW (BECAUSE IT WAS JAMIE GOLD I AM MAKING A JOPKE JAMIE GOLD HAD A STRAIGHT FLUSH AND CHECKED IT ON THE RIVER)
i was suspicious about this being the case, but i'm sick with a severe case of douchebaggery, and it clouded my judgement.
I gotta side w/ Teddy here. Is Jamie better than most high level pro's...prolly not. Is he better than MOST of this Forum...OF COURSE! Yes he went on a sick run last year but there was a DEFINATE method to his madness. It's very easy to look like a genius (or in his case a donk) when u make a ton of hands. However, he DEFINATELY OUTPLAYED his opponents on SEVERAL occasions. A few that come to mind immediately were...A. Bluffing Prahlad off his hand w/ King high. Prahlad is WIDELY regarded as one of the sikest NL players around. Prahlad got OUTPLAYED that hand and NEVER RECOVERED. I think Prahlad played well after that, but it was obvious that bluff had a huge impact on him the rest of the way.B. Getting Wasica to call his all-in HU. Again...are his antics annoying....YES!!! Did they get a call from Wasica FOR ALL THE MARBLES.....YES!!!!There were a handful of other plays for sure that he made along the way but those two stuck out. I think if his name was "Chris Ferguson, DN, Phil Ivey, PA, etc..." then EVERYONE would call his big stack play the BEST THEY EVER SAW AT THE WSOP. He CLEARLY knew how to play a big stack and PUMMELED the field for the last 3-4 days.He ISN'T the greatest player ever...he is better than 99% of FCP land...and I would include myself in the 99% he is better than....
That about covers it. Big stack domination at it's best, however..... luckiest run ever. He did pull a great bluff on Prahlad,but if the hand where he knocked him out goes a different way, who knows? Greatest luck in key situations we will probably ever see.
Jamie Gold is still better than 99.98% of the players on this forum, so I guess it's ok for people to be jealous of him.
lmaothis is definitely not true. he might be better than 80%
you make a good point, but to be fair, people could say the same thing about your opinion. have you played with him? do you only judge by tv shows. how do you know he's better than 99.98 percent of FCPers. how do you know he's good?i didn't really watch his tournament play, but from what i've seen of his cash game play he is really bad. he limped and called limps with his premium hands very often. he was squeezed with a large raise and called with a top pair hand, a shitty one at that (KQ) playing deep stacked. he is a losing player on pokerstars high stakes cash. the other players reeeaally wanted him to stay and play longer on HSP. after 12 months of playing poker has he made or loss money? (a year is starting to be long enough to tell if you're any good).the fact that johnny chan trained him, doesn't prove he's good. michael jordan could train me to play basketball, but i'd still suck.
Actually, that's not true. Taught the right fundamentals anyone can learn basketball, shoot a high percentage, etc., and be good at it. Anyone. Unless you got no arms. Those are neccesary.
Actually, that's not true. Taught the right fundamentals anyone can learn basketball, shoot a high percentage, etc., and be good at it. Anyone. Unless you got no arms. Those are neccesary.
Actually, that's not true. You can't teach speed, agility, height, quickness, etc. which are all important parts of basketball. Standing still not being guarded and being able to shoot well does not equal being a good basketball player, for example.

i dont mind the way he ran the only thing i didnt like about jamie gold was in an interview after he won he said how he completly outplayed allen cunningham and cunningham had no idea where he was at. i believed that UNTIL i saw the ME with the hole card cams and then the truth came out, Allen Cunningham out played the s*** out of him. and again i dont mind that a pro outplayed him its just he said he outplayed Allen.

i dont mind the way he ran the only thing i didnt like about jamie gold was in an interview after he won he said how he completly outplayed allen cunningham and cunningham had no idea where he was at. i believed that UNTIL i saw the ME with the hole card cams and then the truth came out, Allen Cunningham out played the s*** out of him. and again i dont mind that a pro outplayed him its just he said he outplayed Allen.
Fair point, however Jamie didn't see Allen's cards as well, if you are making someone fold while holding mediocre cards, of course you're gonna feel like you are outplaying him.If I had Jamies cards, and if I never saw Allen's cards, of course I'm gonna feel like I've outplayed him, wouldn't you?

I've been watching the 12 hour live main event coverage from last year, and every pro that sat in the booth with Phil and Ali had only good things to say about Jamie and his play. Doyle Brunson was one of them.Who do you think is a better judge of Jamie Gold's play during the series? Several top pros or a bunch of people on the internet who most likely have never even sat with him?

How can you say AC outplayed Gold......Cunningham got worked the whole final table including Wasika(sp) pulling the bluff of the year on Cunningham...Cunningham could not play any worse than he did...period.
I've been watching the 12 hour live main event coverage from last year, and every pro that sat in the booth with Phil and Ali had only good things to say about Jamie and his play. Doyle Brunson was one of them.Who do you think is a better judge of Jamie Gold's play during the series? Several top pros or a bunch of people on the internet who most likely have never even sat with him?
I'm not saying that Doyle & Co. all went on there and straight up lied, but don't you think it's in their best interest to compliment him and schmooze with him in hopes he'll come and jump into some of their cash games and give some of it back? Also, I don't think many people are gonna go on tv and flat out state that the guy winning the Super Bowl of poker is a total hack. Unless you're Phil Hellmuth talking about Varkonyi. Just sayin'...

i understand what you mean by gold thinking he outplayed cunningham but pokerfan are you kdding about cunningham not outplaying him? i havent seen it in about a year so some of my memory on some hands arent as good but i do remember at the time that he outplayed him. I remember one hand where cunningham flopped top pair (i think he had an ace) and gold had flopped a set or something and cunningham lost almost nothing, and considering how gold was playing almost anyone (including you pokerfan) would have pushed that top pair to the max and probably would've gone broke, but cunningham lost only a few chips. there was also a time when i think both gold and cunningham flopped three of a kind 9's but cunningham didnt go broke. Another time cunningham called him down with just ace high and was correct in doing so. you have to remember most people would be pushing any pair because gold was playing so aggressive yet allen didnt when he was beat, and thats not because he was afraid because cunningham did call him down with ace high and won!!! how could you say that cunningham didnt outplay gold?

Well for ego reasons and personal experience, I'm not including myself in the .02%.I played with Jamie Gold for 5 hours in the 3k NL event this year. I'm not saying I'm better than him, though I should, but I don't want to come off as holier-than-tho, but on that day, I was certainly better than him.Of all the players at the table, he was one of the easiest for me to pick up his tendencies. Contrast him with the other guys I had to deal with, Noah Boeken and Dustin Dirksen, and playing Gold was like playing anyone else. I sniffed off 2 bluffs, and folded top pair second best kicker when he flopped a set. When I wasn't in the hands, I was able to sniff out his monster hand against this total station old man who paid him off with KJ on a King high flop for all his chips. For me, and probably Noah and Dustin and anyone with skill at that table, we knew Jamie was very strong, I think Noah even called his exact hand before he flipped it, but that doesn't mean some random guy can see that. He got his chips off the really bad players and for the most part lost them to the better ones and got severely outplayed by Noah Boeken on at least two big pots with ESPN cameras rolling.So yeah...I'm not including myself in that .02%. I'm not being egotistical or "hating" on Mr. Gold when I say I wouldn't mind him at my table. He's not NEARLY as bad as everyone says tho. Obviously, he has some game, and he can be tricky, and people need to get off his back. If you want to hate him for his personality or his antics, that's a whole nother story. :club:

How can you say AC outplayed Gold......Cunningham got worked the whole final table including Wasika(sp) pulling the bluff of the year on Cunningham...Cunningham could not play any worse than he did...period.
i guess for some ppl calling 2 big bets with A 9 os to take down a huge pot with a high isnt very impressive cause just about everyone would have made that call. as for the bluff.... i believe i have heard more than 1 pro say that there are times where they might fold the best hand knowing that they will find a better spot later.