Any Tip For Avoiding Tilt?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well before the flop I didnt expect him to call with A3 so I didnt think he would have flopped the straight. I thought I was definately ahead on the flop which why I raised, and it turns out I was correct in my assessment.
it was too small, that was my point.But not horrible.carry on
it was too small, that was my point.But not horrible.carry on
You think my raise on the flop was too small? What do you think would have been a better raise?Thanks for your input!
You think my raise on the flop was too small? What do you think would have been a better raise?Thanks for your input!
After your raise on the flop, villain only has to call $3 to win an $11 pot. That's odds of 3.67-1. Plus the amount he'll win off of you if he hits his hand.A better raise would be to about $8-9, which gives villain odds of just over 2-1.
After your raise on the flop, villain only has to call $3 to win an $11 pot. That's odds of 3.67-1. Plus the amount he'll win off of you if he hits his hand.A better raise would be to about $8-9, which gives villain odds of just over 2-1.
Thanks for your thoughts, I hve had one of my friends who is a much better player than I am (He has paid off his student loans and 3years of tution from poker winnings, and we've only just finised) look at the hand and he aired similar thoughts. I will definately start to try and bet in a way that the odds work in my favour more.Thanks again guys!

generally, if you want to make smaller bets, to charge for one card at a time, you have to be able to lay hands down and recognize (read) hands and draws well.when you first start, it may be easier to keep the bets bigger and your bad opponents will over pay for their draws. Then when you "pay them off", its ok in the long run because they have over paid for them time and time again without hitting, in prior hands.

Barry greensterins web site has music playing in the background that he says is very effective to listen to while you play avoild tilt ans such...www.barrygreenstein.com
that music tilts me. and im very open minded about music.

After trying like 9284 things to defeat tilt, I have found only one that works every time.Right when the "trigger" occurs (bad beat, etc) do this:Yell "TTTTTTIIIIIIIILLLLLLTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" at the top of your lungs directly at your monitor. It will make you feel so silly and help you realize how stupid and pointless tilt is.

After trying like 9284 things to defeat tilt, I have found only one that works every time.Right when the "trigger" occurs (bad beat, etc) do this:Yell "TTTTTTIIIIIIIILLLLLLTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" at the top of your lungs directly at your monitor. It will make you feel so silly and help you realize how stupid and pointless tilt is.
What happens when you lose your voice?
well done.On that same note, I find posting another "how Do I Avoid Tilt" thread works wonders, for the same reason
  • 5 weeks later...

When I take a sick beat or am mad about not hitting draws or weak hole cards, I just walk away. Go do something else for a while and relax. Winning players win becasue they make better decisions more often than losing ones. The best descision when tilting is to get up.

go play windows solitaire, vegas style, 3 card draw. sometimes you'll go on a heater & make lots of fake money, other times you'll be redealing faster than a... than a fast redealer. that's just how it goes.

I didn't read the thread, nor even your whole post... but to answer the question in the title, play within your roll. Play with at least 50 buy-in's for NL, and if you tilt a lot, play with more. The more money you have in relative to the steaks, the less the beats will effect you.

I have a little stick figure person (i suck at art) playing video poker drawn on a sheet of paper in front of my computer. Whenever I take a beat and get knocked out of a tourney/SNG, I look at the piece of paper to remind myself of the thousands upon thousands of blue hairs and low IQ mouth breathers sitting in front of video poker machines at that very moment with a 0% chance to come out ahead in the wild world of cards. Then I realize in the time it took me to blow 2 or 4 (I play small ball) bucks in a STT or MTT, that stick figure blew through $100.I know we shouldn't laugh at the short comings of others, but this mental image helps me cope when the inevitable beats rear their ugly head.

go play windows solitaire, vegas style, 3 card draw. sometimes you'll go on a heater & make lots of fake money, other times you'll be redealing faster than a... than a fast redealer. that's just how it goes.
I'd like to add that if you start up your .MP3 player while playing Vegas solitare, you can look up and realize 3 hours have passed in the blink of an eye. I call this "time travel" :club:

You have to approach your sessions as a business and make sure that you are VERY disciplined in both your money management and approach to the game. Fisrt of all, set a daily limit for how much you can take to the table and make sure that you stick by it. No matter what happens, or how the hands go...always stick to your limit. Secondly, realize that even if you are the best poker player in the world, and you are playing every hand the way that you should....you will still lose some of them. Why?? Simply because that is the nature of poker. Don't get steamed or go on tilt when someone calls you with a very bad hand only to crack your Aces or what ever. Those situations will happen all the time and you have to realize that it is part of the game. If you don't allow it to affect you...then you will eventually get it back and your solid play will win in the long run. if you want to see my method in action...come to Pokerroom.com and look for TDotplaya. The best way to develop this level headed approach is to practice in large field tournaments online. I play in at least 3 a day at PokerRoom and I almost always finish in the money.

To avoid tilt:Do not play SH LHE./thread.
I was actually just about to post that exact phrase when I saw this thread. Weird.I played an hour of 3/6 SHLHE yesterday and very quickly lost with A9 to JT on an AT9 flop, and then with QQ to a guy with 92o (w/9s) who capped preflop, capped a J-7-5 all spade flop (I had no spade), and got 3 bets in on a blank turn. I checked behind on the spade river. Stupid game.Yeah, I know. BBFIDTS.

I didn't read the topic itself, just the title. But I will ad general advice. Very few people can avoid tilt completely. But there certainly are things you can do to prevent it. Any time that you feel like you are just "giving" money away, remember that there are plenty of charities out there that could genuinely use those funds. I'm not joking.The second is HALT. Do not play poker if you are hungry, angry, lonely or tired. Hope that helps.

find a nice, sturdy chairthen, throw itpreferably at a wall you dont much care about
+1I do this in my home games, after taking a terrible beat, I'll pick raise my hand like i'm going to throw it, then take a deep breath and calmly place it down on the table, all my friends let out a sigh of relief, then i stand up, pick my chair over my head, and throw it across the room, and calmly walk away. It's great.
To avoid tilt:Do not play SH LHE./thread.
Oddly enough I almost never tilt playing SH LHE. I guess I just expect the beats there and I give some beats too. Unless of course I face 4 or 5 beats in a row.In NL I find I rarely give any beats. My big hands tend to be coolers. My biggest losing hands in NL seem to be getting it in good vs a short stack and having them suckout. One or two suckouts doesn't cause tilt but a number in a row can. Also when someone is just ruling over me - pushing me off marginal hands repeatedly where I can't tell if they have the goods or air. But yes the trick is to stop when you're tilting. I've found I'm able to grind a small profit fairly regularly and then give it back plus some with one horrid tilt fueled session.