Turn Trips, Now What?

I know it's not converted. Villain is new to the table.Full Tilt Poker Game #22776012691: $16,500 Guarantee (175726702), Table 12 - 150/300 Ante 25 - No Limit Hold'em - 12:06:22 ET - 2010/08/02Seat 1: Chess25 (1,362)Seat 2: Im Beamin (12,657)Seat 3: MrAkhurst (14,829)Seat 4: Thebangtrain (9,888)Seat 5: GSW16 (12,705)Seat 6: rmlb (7,915)Seat 7: krooptroop (18,297)Seat 8: vanhungy (24,963)Seat 9: mi3ch (9,851)Chess25 antes 25Im Beamin antes 25MrAkhurst antes 25Thebangtrain antes 25GSW16 antes 25rmlb antes 25krooptroop antes 25vanhungy antes 25mi3ch antes 25Chess25 posts the small blind of 150Im Beamin posts the big blind of 300The button is in seat #9*** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to Thebangtrain [Ah 9h]MrAkhurst foldsThebangtrain raises to 799GSW16 foldsrmlb has 15 seconds left to actrmlb has timed outrmlb foldsrmlb is sitting outkrooptroop foldsvanhungy foldsmi3ch foldsChess25 foldsIm Beamin calls 499*** FLOP *** [5h 6s 9c]rmlb has returnedIm Beamin checksThebangtrain has 15 seconds left to actThebangtrain bets 1,140Im Beamin calls 1,140*** TURN *** [5h 6s 9c] [9d]Im Beamin bets 1,998Thebangtrain ?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Full Tilt Poker $16,500 Guarantee No Limit Hold'em Tournament - t150/t300 Blinds + t25 - 9 players - View hand 835849The Official DeucesCracked.com Hand History ConverterSB: t1362 M = 2.02BB: t12657 M = 18.75UTG: t14829 M = 21.97Hero (UTG+1): t9888 M = 14.65UTG+2: t12705 M = 18.82MP1: t7915 M = 11.73MP2: t18297 M = 27.11CO: t24963 M = 36.98BTN: t9851 M = 14.59Pre Flop: (t675) Hero is UTG+1 with A :4h 9 :5c1 fold, Hero raises to t799, 6 folds, BB calls t499Flop: (t1973) 5 :3h 6 :ts 9 :qh(2 players)BB checks, Hero bets t1140, BB calls t1140Turn: (t4253) 9 :club:(2 players)BB bets t1998Final Pot: t4253call and let him bluff river

What's the reason for raising and not calling? Plus, if I'm raising, it's all in.

nice answer, why not?
I can say right now I called turn. Definitely would like to hear some explanation for this one
Calling turn is correct, also curious on the "no"
me too! lol!

Just waiting for that answer. Obv flatting is right. This guy tried to justify to me how I should raise there. He ended up floating me with Q8 and donkbet the turn and the river was a 7, which I did not fold. Was pissed about it but this guy was fking hilarious. Tried to tell me just because he won the Double Deuce that he knows all and that my play was absolutely terrible. I lold hard

Just waiting for that answer. Obv flatting is right. This guy tried to justify to me how I should raise there. He ended up floating me with Q8 and donkbet the turn and the river was a 7, which I did not fold. Was pissed about it but this guy was fking hilarious. Tried to tell me just because he won the Double Deuce that he knows all and that my play was absolutely terrible. I lold hard
Why'd you post it then?

Cram and kick yourself for playing this hand when priced-in villain turns up 87 for the str8 and you whiff the river.Isn't folding PF pretty standard for A9?

Cram and kick yourself for playing this hand when priced-in villain turns up 87 for the str8 and you whiff the river.Isn't folding PF pretty standard for A9?
i mean it isnt a terrible open, but we have to be very careful with it.
lol, what does shoving here accomplish? if he has a boat or 87, good for him, we're going to get stacked anyway. By shoving we're eliminating all his bluffs and probably only getting called by better. Also a9hh is a fine opening hand from this position.edit: I guess he could donk here with a weaker 9, in which case he's calling that off if we shove, but bluffs make up a bigger part of his range than any 9 or a boat, so we should just let him do the betting for us.
lol, what does shoving here accomplish? if he has a boat or 87, good for him, we're going to get stacked anyway. By shoving we're eliminating all his bluffs and probably only getting called by better. Also a9hh is a fine opening hand from this position.edit: I guess he could donk here with a weaker 9, in which case he's calling that off if we shove, but bluffs make up a bigger part of his range than any 9 or a boat, so we should just let him do the betting for us.
Good points, thx, although I'll stick with a nittier opening range from this position (UTG2). I think you end up missing too many flops or getting too involved in potentially dangerous hands with A9 and the like, regardless of the "power" implied by opening at this position.

A call on the turn given the EP raise and our chip stack looks very strong so i really don't expect villain to bluff the river. I think villain could hero call us with worse(67,77,88...) if we shove the turn. if an 8 or 7 comes on the river we don't know where we are at (we could lose some value or get bluffed if he shoves).

Why would a villain all of the sudden donkbet a medium pocket pair like that on the turn?
he might think his medium pocket pair is good and is trying to control the size of the pot (he's betting ~ half the pot)+ after the board pairs it's less likely we have a 9.
he might think his medium pocket pair is good and is trying to control the size of the pot (he's betting ~ half the pot)+ after the board pairs it's less likely we have a 9.
Exactly, so it's in our best interest to let him think he's value betting here if he has a hand like that. If we raise he's not allowed to pot control anymore and will more than likely fold. Given that with the fact that there are more bluffs in his range than medium pocket pairs, it's in our best interest to allow to continue to bet on the river. You're advocating for trying to play for stacks in this spot, and that's not what we should be doing. We need to be getting the most value out of our hand possible, by raising we are losing value. Let him do the bidding for us. He's not going to put in another cent unless he has a 9 or a boat (which is very unlikely here) if we raise.
You're advocating for trying to play for stacks in this spot, and that's not what we should be doing. We need to be getting the most value out of our hand possible, by raising we are losing value. Let him do the bidding for us. He's not going to put in another cent unless he has a 9 or a boat (which is very unlikely here) if we raise.
I don't think we are getting any more value on the river.I mean from villain's perspective, what does he beat once we call the turn?

i agree with the call line on the turn, no point in raising there but i don't really like the open pf UTG+1 and A9 with your stack size. i fold pf.

i agree with the call line on the turn, no point in raising there but i don't really like the open pf UTG+1 and A9 with your stack size. i fold pf.
The table appears to be fairly deep, and if they're not playing back at him a lot then raising with a9s there is fine.