Hey, I Was Thinking.

That's it, I was just thinking.j/kI was thinking that maybe we should have a Pokerthon here at FCP. You know, something similar to the more traditional walkathon where instead of walking which is really rather pointless unless you're going somewhere and then it's really unnecessary as there are much more efficient modes of transportation....where was I? Oh yeah, a pokerthon. We could get sponsors and play poker for 24 hours straight (not a stretch for many of you I'm sure) and donate all the money to charity. Besides the obvious benefit to charity it would also serve as something positive in the poker world right now. Plus I would have a legitimate excuse to play poker for 24 hours straight to which there is no possible way my wife could object.Obviously the logistics would have to be worked out, but I see some points being...1. You must register and receive something official from FCP to solicit sponsors. We don't want any scams.2. The poker should be freerolls for the pokerthon. I don't think we want people losing more money than they raised. Perhaps 24 hours of Sit n Gos would be best so players could accumulate points based on their finishes.3. Prizes for participants. Nothing big; maybe some shirts, hats, a jersey for the guy who came up with this idea. Maybe an official FCP Pokerthon Trophy for the player accumulating the most points during the 24 hours. :club: Obviously this would be a big committment for people and especially FCP to make, but I think it would be worth it.Like I said, I was just thinking...

Here's some advice. Stop thinking.j/k. I dont think I could play for 24 hours...but it sounds like a decent idea.

Would be hard to prove the same person is playing for 24 hours if it is online.
The real point wouldn't be to win, but to try to raise the most money. It's a good idea monkey, if I can find the time to spend 24 hours playing and stay awake.

Where do I send the cheque to sponsor the guy to sit in front of a computer monitor and play poker for 24 hours? Are the beer and nachos consumed to be taken out of the money sent to charity?In related news - Jenna Lambert swam across Lake Ontario to raise money for a local YMCA swimming pool in Kingston, Ontario.Jenna is 15, and also cannot swim with her legs due to cerebal palsy. Took her 32 hours - but I'm sure people will send cheques to FCP's Poker-a-thon.Why not instead just hold a 20+20 tournament on FCP, with the buy-in being matched by someone involved with the website & all going to charity.

i'd have no problem donating to charity, its the adhoc that goes with it that I wouldn't be looking forward to. I tried it once and only made it to 12 hrs

The charity that I would like to see considered isGreatWorldChefsGoWashCarsbecause it's hard to chop vegetables with pruned handsorThe Lost Leader Foundationbecause everyone needs a leader

Where do I send the cheque to sponsor the guy to sit in front of a computer monitor and play poker for 24 hours? Are the beer and nachos consumed to be taken out of the money sent to charity?In related news - Jenna Lambert swam across Lake Ontario to raise money for a local YMCA swimming pool in Kingston, Ontario.Jenna is 15, and also cannot swim with her legs due to cerebal palsy. Took her 32 hours - but I'm sure people will send cheques to FCP's Poker-a-thon.Why not instead just hold a 20+20 tournament on FCP, with the buy-in being matched by someone involved with the website & all going to charity.
Maybe you're not familiar with the concept of raising sponsors. I don't know; some people don't get out much.And that is an incredible thing Jenna Lambert did. I do not have Cerebral Palsy and am not 15, but I don't think a charity will turn away any money I raise.And your last point about holding a 20+20 makes it look more like gambling whereas the whole point is to get others involved while raising money for charity. Perhaps this idea would be better suited to fullcontactpoker.net?
Maybe you're not familiar with the concept of raising sponsors. I don't know; some people don't get out much.And that is an incredible thing Jenna Lambert did. I do not have Cerebral Palsy and am not 15, but I don't think a charity will turn away any money I raise.And your last point about holding a 20+20 makes it look more like gambling whereas the whole point is to get others involved while raising money for charity. Perhaps this idea would be better suited to fullcontactpoker.net?
Actually, something similar was done on Full Tilt for a leukemia charity. Think it was a bit cheaper though.
so if we lose, will these charities pay us our losses?
What losses?
Actually, something similar was done on Full Tilt for a leukemia charity. Think it was a bit cheaper though.
Yeah, I seem to recall tournaments being held for Tsunami relief. I think the pokerathon thing would be different and fun.
Maybe you're not familiar with the concept of raising sponsors. I don't know; some people don't get out much....And your last point about holding a 20+20 makes it look more like gambling whereas the whole point is to get others involved while raising money for charity. Perhaps this idea would be better suited to fullcontactpoker.net?
I'm going to ignore your snide comments - after all, social interaction might be hard for someone who's goal is to play poker 24 hours without getting the wife mad. (damn, I did say I'd take the higher road didn't I...)Re-reading your post, I see you want to make this a 24-hour event, played with 'play' money, wherein the charity would get the donations collected by members? Trust me - setting up a tournament where entires pay a $20 entry fee (whcih goes to the charity) would be much, much easier. Right off the top of my head, I see getting the money in to the charity to be a problem - with misplaced (or stolen?) donations coming into play - which is easier, having 40 people send in various amounts of dollars, or having a poker website cut them a single cheque. Secondly, going door to door or setting up a table at your local mall to gather sponsors will only result in people thinking you're begging to pay for a poker habit...What I'd suggest are 2 different approaches - first, the above-mentioned Charity tournament (or maybe a series of them), or secondly have FCP waive the entry fee into one of their bigger buy-in events for anyone willing to sign-off 10% of their winnings to a charity. Either one of these is far more possible to pull off than the original suggestion.
I'm going to ignore your snide comments - after all, social interaction might be hard for someone who's goal is to play poker 24 hours without getting the wife mad. (damn, I did say I'd take the higher road didn't I...)Re-reading your post, I see you want to make this a 24-hour event, played with 'play' money, wherein the charity would get the donations collected by members? Trust me - setting up a tournament where entires pay a $20 entry fee (whcih goes to the charity) would be much, much easier. Right off the top of my head, I see getting the money in to the charity to be a problem - with misplaced (or stolen?) donations coming into play - which is easier, having 40 people send in various amounts of dollars, or having a poker website cut them a single cheque. Secondly, going door to door or setting up a table at your local mall to gather sponsors will only result in people thinking you're begging to pay for a poker habit...What I'd suggest are 2 different approaches - first, the above-mentioned Charity tournament (or maybe a series of them), or secondly have FCP waive the entry fee into one of their bigger buy-in events for anyone willing to sign-off 10% of their winnings to a charity. Either one of these is far more possible to pull off than the original suggestion.
My snide comments were only in response to yours. You bring up legitimate points, something you could have done the first time without the sarcasm and inclusion of the little Jenna story.You'd be more interested in a tourney with a buyin rather than a pokerthon - gotcha. I'm not suggesting my idea is the best way to make money for charity, I'm suggesting it is a different way.Also, I'm not suggesting or expecting anyone to set up a table at the local mall. Most participants will usually hit up friends and family as is the usual scenario in events like this. If you don't have friends it's okay, just pretend you think the whole thing is stupid and nobody will know the real reason for your lack of participation.