Fcp Official Golf Thread

Since I pretty much play 4x the amount of golf that I do poker lately, and since we really do not have a thread for everything golf, I figured I'd start one. I don't have the time and energy to join a golf related forum anyway. :)I have played since I was 8 or 9, played in Hs, worked at a course as a kid, etc. I went through a long period of time however where I didn't play very often and my game reflected it. My low in HS was a 4 handicap or so, but for most of my 20s I'd say I played as a 6-9 handicap. I'd go low here and there, but just as often I'd shoot in the mid 80s.About 4 months ago, I joined my parents country club (Salinas Golf and Country Club in Salinas, Ca, 70.1/128 and 6145 from the blue tees) and have pretty much been playing 4-5 times a week (to the detriment of my poker game). I'm down to a 1.6 handicap, with a couple rounds under par. An average day for me is usually a 74-75, and if I make birdie putts I go lower. If I don't then it's a whole lot of pars. Take me away from my home course though and I'm probably only a 3 handicap or so.I tend to play a draw and most people would consider me a 'long' hitter. That is pretty subjective though, since I only average 275-280 or so and that is only long on the LPGA tour. :club: Even though I'm 6ft3, my swing problems tend to come when I get too flat and I start snapping everything. I prefer a strong grip, although I have started experimenting with a weaker grip when I want to work the ball from left to right. Like most mortals, I'm pretty streaky with the putter but I would consider my short game an asset. My weaknesses are my long iron play (considering a hybrid but I'm old school) and still a tendency to try and hit the 'perfect' shot too often (better now though then when I was a kid).I play Mizuno MP32 irons, 3-pw with standard lie and lofts. I'm in the process of getting slightly bigger grips since I have bigger hands. I also carry a Cleveland 588 60* lob wedge and a 52* attack/approach wedge. I semi recently got a '09 Cleveland Launcher driver (9.5*) and 3 wood (15*) and love both. Prior to that I was playing an outdated Titleist 983k driver. I am also one of the few people left who you will find a 2 iron in their bag, but as I said before I'm leaning towards picking up a hybrid. My putter is an older Odyssey 'white hot' model and I switched to the Bridgestone tour balls a month or so back and love them.I'd like to pick up a new set of irons eventually, maybe the Cleveland Red Tour model, or the Mizuno MP57s. If anyone has either set, I'd love to hear what you think of them.Anyway, I figured this thread could be used for anything golf related...Course reviews, equipment reviews, brag posts, problems with people's swings etc etc.

you hit a 2 iron...god bless you. Hybred = nuts!! I know of only one guy who plays 2 and 3 irons any more. He also has old "real" 3 and 5 woods...LOL, but he hits them prety damn well.my index is down to a 12.1 (72, 131 at my club is a 14)...that is my lowest so far in my golfing history. It has taken me 3 years to lose a basebal swing and start to feel good about a golf swing.the bigest leak in my golf game aside from lack of talent, a tendency to hook and miss a little fat would be my head.the plan is to be a 9 or maybe an 8 next year. I think i can get there with some work and playing more then once a week. My index was 15.5 in June of this year so it is going the right way.golf is way cheaper then online poker!!

• 3 months later...

PGA Tour starts tonight and it promises to be a fascinating season what with the Tiger situation, the new grooves, the Ryder Cup and the return to some classic courses (St Andrews and Pebble Beach) for the majors.My money is on Dustin Johnson and Nick Watney for this weeks SBS Championship.

Nick Watney is a great player and I hope he can have a big 2010. I think there will be a relative unknown who wins this first event. Possibly someone from the Nationwide Tour or from Q school.EDIT: I'm retarded, I forgot that the Hawaii event only features the winners from the past season. So push my notes above to the first full event of the season! :club:

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I would have picked Hoffman over Fowler and JB Holmes over Cink
I loved the Fowler pick, the kid seems to have that swagger and in match play that can be the difference. Sergio has it, AK has it and hopfully ricky will show he has it as well.Ryder Cup weekend is the best weekend in golf....a small tick higher then even the Matsers IMO! looking forward to it.

Golf course..set up for America to winvs.Weather set up for Europeans to winWhich will prevail?I really like Johnson and Bubba, especially when the guy at the first tee says Bubba in an English accent.But I don't see any real leaks in our team.But the Europeans have some on fire players right now, I think they said of the last 10 European golf tournaments, the team now had won like 7 of them.Leading going into Sat, but lets hope for better weather.

losing the cup sucks, but it's even worse with Montgomery as European captain
I believe we can all look Mr. Mickelson and say WTF!!!
losing the cup sucks, but it's even worse with Montgomery as European captain
I'm Scottish, so more than a bit biased but Monty is a LEGEND!
Mrs. Doubtfire
Crap film :)edit i should put some Golf comment in here rather than talk about the merits of a movie.Tiger Woods will be replaced by Lee Westwood as World Number 1 if Westwood finishes 1st or 2nd in the Dunhill Links Championship this weekend.
Crap film :club: edit i should put some Golf comment in here rather than talk about the merits of a movie.Tiger Woods will be replaced by Lee Westwood as World Number 1 if Westwood finishes 1st or 2nd in the Dunhill Links Championship this weekend.
and tiger only had to take 6 months off, go through a nasty public divorce and play like crap for the last 5 months for it to possibly happen. I am not in anyway a big tiger fan but lets face it when he has it going there is nobody close not Westwood or Phil. It will be one of the young guys to take him down...some day, regardless if Westwood nudges ahead of him this week or not.
and tiger only had to take 6 months off, go through a nasty public divorce and play like crap for the last 5 months for it to possibly happen. I am not in anyway a big tiger fan but lets face it when he has it going there is nobody close not Westwood or Phil. It will be one of the young guys to take him down...some day, regardless if Westwood nudges ahead of him this week or not.
The thing about Tiger is that no matter what, when he is playing good he has the best chance out of anyone to win. None of the younger guys have that moxie yet. I was hoping to see it in Dustin Johnson, but he lacks the consistency as well. Lets face it. I don't see any of the young kids right now who have the dominance that Tiger did when he burst onto the scene. Granted the iron curtain that Tiger had for so long is somewhat cracked, but just wait till he can focus all his energy on golf again. It may be next year or the year after, but I believe he will return to form and with that will come his dominance once again.

I found a pretty sweet golf game. I play it pretty much every day. You can play on lots of very famous courses, including Celtic Manor. I am not trying to sell you guys into buying game credit. I play for free. You can buy better equipment but I do just fine with the free gear. We could set up FCP golf tournaments and play for some real money. If you want to play let me know and I can send you an invite (I get free upgraded golf balls if you sign up through me.) or go to www.wgt.comWow that sounded like an advertisement.

• 3 months later...

Fun day.Followed David Duvall around for a bit, then Ogilvie, Kucher, Justin Leonard, Calcavecchia, Faxon, Bubba Watson, and local David Stockton Jr.Also saw Bo Jackson almost eagle, Kevin Nealon lose another ball, Kurt Russel dump two in the water, Alice Cooper, guitarist from Kiss, quarterback of Cardinals, PK of the Vikings, Dr J., Tom Dreeson, Greg Maddux, Grant Fuhr, and Sugar Ray Leonard.Perfect day, low 80s, slight breeze. Smoked two cigars and walked for 6 hours, came home ate and then went to my weekly poker game where I ran AK into AA and lost.

Fun day.Followed David Duvall around for a bit, then Ogilvie, Kucher, Justin Leonard, Calcavecchia, Faxon, Bubba Watson, and local David Stockton Jr.Also saw Bo Jackson almost eagle, Kevin Nealon lose another ball, Kurt Russel dump two in the water, Alice Cooper, guitarist from Kiss, quarterback of Cardinals, PK of the Vikings, Dr J., Tom Dreeson, Greg Maddux, Grant Fuhr, and Sugar Ray Leonard.Perfect day, low 80s, slight breeze. Smoked two cigars and walked for 6 hours, came home ate and then went to my weekly poker game where I ran AK into AA and lost.
Bubba is el hombre