I Got Called A Donk After This Hand

Did I really play this hand badly?PokerStars 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FlopTurnRiver)Preflop: Hero is MP2 with Theart.gif, Tclub.gif. UTG raises, 2 folds, Hero 3-bets, 5 folds, UTG calls.Flop: (7.50 SB) 7spade.gif, 9club.gif, 6spade.gif(2 players)UTG checks, Hero bets, UTG calls.Turn: (4.75 BB) 3spade.gif(2 players)UTG checks, Hero bets, UTG calls.River: (6.75 BB) 5heart.gif(2 players)UTG checks, Hero bets, UTG calls.Final Pot: 8.75 BBWas it the 3bet preflop?

Unless you KNOW that UTG is the Rock of Gilbraltar and will only every raise UTG with AA or KK, never AK etc, then you played it straight up. Board is all smaller cards, so you bet out each time. Buddy did nothing but call, so why would you think your hand is bad?Without knowing his hand, it's hard to say if he is calling you a donk because he's upset he lost, or just being a poor winner. If I had to guess, first case is he had AK and missed, second case is he had Jacks and got scared by your 3 bet, so he just called down and then felt stupid after because he was so weak tight.

Reads would help, but AK calls here a lot.Any 9x (again, reads plz), and possibly even some other pairs. I really think you have to bet this river.
just because we win some times doesn't mean we win enough to bet.We have to be ahead 50%_ of_ the_hands_that_call and that if we never call a raise from a better hand, or fold to a c/r from a worse handTHe flush got there, so even AK isn't calling down all the way. (edit: I mean AsKs might have crying called the river after calling the rest of the way, or AsQs...etc... but those got thereOk, A9s.On balance I think it's a passive JJ-QQ more than hands that we beat AND that call (or an occassional slow played 99)

I just can't think of any reason why it's not OK to bet the river when checked to again. Without a read of a very tricky player, it has to be OK to bet here. Maybe, teeny tiny maybe, it would be wise to check-call if first to act.

I think you are good over 50% of the time here (against calling hands). It is certainly marginal, but you have to squeze every BB out of someone you can. If he has shown that he is passive with good hands or he has the ability to check raise this river, then a check is good.IMO, with the rake at this level, finding an extra bet on these hands is key to winning.

if he had AK or less and called all the way down and then called you a donki wouldve just laughed at him
Never defend yourself against negative comments at the table.It is in your best interest for all opponents to think you are a donk.And Villain's words are simply good advertising for this.--CM
Never defend yourself against negative comments at the table.It is in your best interest for all opponents to think you are a donk.And Villain's words are simply good advertising for this.--CM
i meant to myself. i do lose it every now and then, though, in the middle of a really bad session or streak, when beat by ridiculous stuff.i try not to.
I just can't think of any reason why it's not OK to bet the river when checked to again. Without a read of a very tricky player, it has to be OK to bet here. Maybe, teeny tiny maybe, it would be wise to check-call if first to act.
There are a million reasons, and Actuary is correct to ask the question. If you think about it, there aren't a whole ton of hands calling here that we beat, especially considering that the raise came from UTG. But this could be something retarded like A9 or A7. If his UTG raising range is wide, AND he has a propensity to call down too frequently with any pair or A-hi, then it's an easy bet. Otherwise, this might be a check/back. Wang
. If his UTG raising range is wide,
we also dont beat any pocket pair except for 22, so I think it'd have to be real widebut he hasnt played it like any of those.i think AK and maybe AQ call down enough here to offset really passive JJ/QQ
we also dont beat any pocket pair except for 22, so I think it'd have to be real widebut he hasnt played it like any of those.i think AK and maybe AQ call down enough here to offset really passive JJ/QQ
maybe I'm coming around a bit?He need a As or Ks, maybe Qs..then we can justify a villain turn call too.Or he's just super looseI'll say read dependent and my style is to chk behind against unknowns

Without reading replies...100% standard. Value bet that river every single time.If he gets all mad, be sure to point out to him that evidently, you had and bet the best hand on every single street.

we also dont beat any pocket pair except for 22, so I think it'd have to be real wide
Very good point - I hadn't thought it through in those terms.OK, now I can think of some reasons to check the river. Betting here could well be a bet that is most likely called by a better hand. The villan may have chased to the river with AK or AQ, but how likely is he to call a bet and pay you off, versus all the times he calls with all those other pairs that beat you. Or check raises. (The villan wasn't Actuary was it?!?)
Very good point - I hadn't thought it through in those terms.OK, now I can think of some reasons to check the river. Betting here could well be a bet that is most likely called by a better hand. The villan may have chased to the river with AK or AQ, but how likely is he to call a bet and pay you off, versus all the times he calls with all those other pairs that beat you. Or check raises. (The villan wasn't Actuary was it?!?)
No no no! We have to bet the river. A9s calls 100% of the time... and all sorts of other weird hands from bad players will give this river bet value. Just because us tight aggressive players wouldn't end up on the river without a hand that could beat TT, there are so many worse, passive players out there that will call with a lot of things. ESPECIALLY at these stakes.And calling a river check/raise is an instantaneous easy decision.
you've lost it.really.
Almost a 7 BB pot on the river with an overpair and no paired board?I've seen sillier plays than the ol' river check/raise with air... on a board that straightens out... with a hand that can be read fairly easily as "playing defense" from the betting.
Not calling for one more bet here is bad.And you want to bet in a 5 way pot with QQ on a K5678 board... mkay...
no sw?Calling a c/r is really bad.And I solicit opinions on the QQ hand and later in the thread gave reason why I think c/c was probably better