First off, let me explain that I timed out and it folded my hand. I didn't care too much because I thought the spot was very marginal. I did not think it was even +EV. here it is. Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FlopTurnRiver)UTG ($109.35)MP ($80)Button ($341.60)Hero ($560.40)BB ($191)Preflop: Hero is SB with Kspade.gif, Adiamond.gif. UTG calls $2, 2 folds, Hero raises to $8, BB calls $6, UTG raises to $32, Hero folds, BB folds.Final Pot: $48I had a reputation for picking off limpers. I do not pick of limpers without a hand OOP though, however, i cannot expect my opponents to know that. Anyway, limp raise UTG screamed I HAVE A MONSTER to me. I thought his range consisted of AK, JJ< and did not mind timing out and folding as a result. Anyone would have done anything differently? Most of the time it's a coinflip but I am NEVER ahead here I don't think unless the guy lost his mind and is doing this with AQs or something. But I had no reason to believe that he's that dumb.

I ran this through pokerstove and gave him a range of 1010 and up and AK and AQs (although i said he'd do that with AQ 1 in 4 times...i think that's reasonable)...Text results appended to pokerstove.txt 56,506,032 games 0.016 secs 3,531,627,000 games/secBoard: Dead: equity win tie pots won pots tied Hand 0: 40.392% 27.16% 13.23% 15347135 7476961.00 { AsKd }Hand 1: 59.608% 46.38% 13.23% 26204975 7476961.00 { TT+, AKs, AsQs, AKo }

You may be 40% against his range, but that doesn't take into account any postflop action. You aren't 40% to outflop him, which is what is key here. For the most part, unless he has AQ, you aren't going to get any action when you hit the flop, unless you are way behind.

You may be 40% against his range, but that doesn't take into account any postflop action. You aren't 40% to outflop him, which is what is key here. For the most part, unless he has AQ, you aren't going to get any action when you hit the flop, unless you are way behind.
exactly. that's another reason i didn't think it was +EV to play this.
He only has half a stack anyway. Not exactly great implied odds. Are you searching for some kind of cosmic justification for timing out?
i was leaning towards folding eitherway...the fact that i had little time made it easier to fold.

these situations are more read dependent. How has he been playing.If he has a shorter stack, i assume its a medium PP or a big ace. if he has been cold decked, he is ready to gambol.If he plays tight and solid.. this looks like a classic limp / re-raise with aces. If he's been cold decked for a couple rotations, he probably starts to think, I'm UTG. how can i extract the most chips with this hand.if he raises, he might look to strong and is worried about everyone folding. All the time i see, and hear people say. i always limp aces UTG. (super systems type strategy) and hope someone raises, so they can then re-pop.I'd probably let it go here

I don't think it's a bad fold, he raised 1/3 of his stack preflop which means it's all going in on the flop and you're going to miss 2/3 of the time. Most likely you're a coin flip at best and dominated the rest of the time. If I had seen him limp/reraise from UTG a few times during the session I might just shove, but if this is the first time he's done it I don't see folding as being a big mistake.

I think you should reraise or fold, calling out of position sucks.
If villain was deeper I agree, but in this situation a raise is putting him ai
If villain was deeper I agree, but in this situation a raise is putting him ai
All the more reason to raise, imho. No more positional disadvantage.I like the fold. I figure limp/raise for aces or kings a lot from most players.
All the more reason to raise, imho. No more positional disadvantage.I like the fold. I figure limp/raise for aces or kings a lot from most players.
Yep. I agree. I really don't feel that laying down AK in these situations is weak at all.
Yup. If you're the villain, you certainly make the initial raise PF for hand definition with QQ or JJ etc. With AA/KK ... you don't want hand definition, you want some aggrodonk raising and then calling off all his chips with AK here. Actually, the only other thing I could do here besides fold is go AIPF, hope he has KK and suck out an A on his short-stacked ***.