Do you honestly think the Pistons are going to let him catch the ball without a double team this game?
They were stupid enough to not do it when he scored 25 in a row on them. I like Lebron. He's a great player. Is he the best? Of course not. Will he be considered one of the best when he retires? Most definitely. I think he's great for the game. He has passion for what he does, he tries to be a team player for the most part, and he's never been too disrespectful from what I've seen.I do think Cleveland will win this series. However, it should go without saying that unless the rest of the team plays extremely well, they have no shot against the Spurs in the finals.
  • Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They were stupid enough to not do it when he scored 25 in a row on them.
Exactly, it killed them once, why take the risk of it happening again. Not to mention the chances of him going on that type of a hot streak in game 6 also are pretty damn slim. In his 3 years in the league that may have been the hottest shooting streak he has ever had, if he keeps relying on fall away three's over double teams they will lose.
They were stupid enough to not do it when he scored 25 in a row on them. I like Lebron. He's a great player. Is he the best? Of course not. Will he be considered one of the best when he retires? Most definitely. I think he's great for the game. He has passion for what he does, he tries to be a team player for the most part, and he's never been too disrespectful from what I've seen.I do think Cleveland will win this series. However, it should go without saying that unless the rest of the team plays extremely well, they have no shot against the Spurs in the finals.
I know its because I love the Cavs, but I disagree. They will win.I also think they will win this game Every Cavs player will be motivated more than they have ever been. And of course Lebron won't have as good of a game because Detroit will play him differently, but other players will step up. I've been watching many sports shows and they keep saying that the Pistons lost because they didn't have Mcdyess. But the Cavs didn't have anybody. Pistons still had Rasheed, Tayshaun, Rip, and Billups.
I know its because I love the Cavs, but I disagree. They will win.I also think they will win this game Every Cavs player will be motivated more than they have ever been. And of course Lebron won't have as good of a game because Detroit will play him differently, but other players will step up. I've been watching many sports shows and they keep saying that the Pistons lost because they didn't have Mcdyess. But the Cavs didn't have anybody. Pistons still had Rasheed, Tayshaun, Rip, and Billups.
Spurs in 5 or 6, no way Spurs let Lebron beat them like Detroit did
But if Boobie steps up like he did in the fourth, Cavs are looking good.I'm still waiting for Damon Jones's big game when he goes 7 for 7 for 3's and finishes with 40 points. I also am waiting for Sasha's 40 point game.
I agree. Lebrons good enough to win one game, maybe 2, by himself.I think the Spurs are going to have a huge coaching advantage here. Popovich is no dummy, and I dont have a lot of confidence in Mike Brown. I dont see the Cavs coming close to stopping Parker or Duncan. Both players have seen tougher defensive schemes so far. I'm not sure what Manu's going to do. I imagine he'll be helping out Bowen a lot with Lebron.
I'm still waiting for Damon Jones's big game when he goes 7 for 7 for 3's and finishes with 40 points. I also am waiting for Sasha's 40 point game.
Neither of those two players will come close to a 40 point game in this series.
Neither of those two players will come close to a 40 point game in this series.
It was a joke. But if either Damon or Sasha have a great game, they will become a factor like Boobie did in game 6.
It was a joke. But if either Damon or Sasha have a great game, they will become a factor like Boobie did in game 6.
Damon doesn't look like the same player he was with the Heat. I think after what Gibson did against the Pistons Damon is going to be lucky to get any playing time.

The stage is set for a Cavs upset of the Spurs, but realistically I don't know if I can see it happening. The Spurs would have had a very long time off by the time game 1 rolls around so don't expect the results of that game to be indicative of how the series will go. However I think by game 3 we'll see how the finals are going to play out. If the games are close by game 3 take Cleveland more seriously since the veteran Spurs should have made enough proper adjustments by then, just like the Pistons should have. Just like the Eastern Conference Finals, its the vets series to lose. If Gibson gets open shots (I'm not calling him Boobie that's retarded) I'd be very surprised since the Spurs have had to double team players that are a lot better scorers than LeBron James (Carmelo and AI come to mind). If James keeps hitting faders, someone check the ball. There's no way you've followed the Cavs regularly for more than 3 weeks if you think that's his shot. His jumpers look like Vince Carter in high heels. James tends to be a cut and slasher so expect him to cut and slash to be successful in a long series.

If Gibson gets open shots (I'm not calling him Boobie that's retarded) I'd be very surprised since the Spurs have had to double team players that are a lot better scorers than LeBron James (Carmelo and AI come to mind). If James keeps hitting faders, someone check the ball. There's no way you've followed the Cavs regularly for more than 3 weeks if you think that's his shot. His jumpers look like Vince Carter in high heels. James tends to be a cut and slasher so expect him to cut and slash to be successful in a long series.
I pretty much agree with everything you said.LeBron is going to have Bowen on him and he needs to use his wider body and superior athleticism to his advantage for the Cav's to have a shot in this series. The Spurs are really good at staying home on 3 point shooters so don't expect Gibson (boobie is a dumb nickname, lets just call him tit) to get the open looks he was against the Pistons.I do think the Cavs can take game 1 in this series.They have played more recently, and are riding a pretty good wave of momentum into the beginning of the series.
The stage is set for a Cavs upset of the Spurs, but realistically I don't know if I can see it happening. The Spurs would have had a very long time off by the time game 1 rolls around so don't expect the results of that game to be indicative of how the series will go. However I think by game 3 we'll see how the finals are going to play out. If the games are close by game 3 take Cleveland more seriously since the veteran Spurs should have made enough proper adjustments by then, just like the Pistons should have. Just like the Eastern Conference Finals, its the vets series to lose. If Gibson gets open shots (I'm not calling him Boobie that's retarded) I'd be very surprised since the Spurs have had to double team players that are a lot better scorers than LeBron James (Carmelo and AI come to mind). If James keeps hitting faders, someone check the ball. There's no way you've followed the Cavs regularly for more than 3 weeks if you think that's his shot. His jumpers look like Vince Carter in high heels. James tends to be a cut and slasher so expect him to cut and slash to be successful in a long series.
Boobie is a nickname. Why don't you call him that? It sounds a little weird, but whatever.As for Lebron hitting the faders, I do think that is his shot. If you have been following the Cavs for more that 3 weeks you would know that he is pretty good at those shots. It seems that he is better in hitting those than if he is open. He just likes having a hand in his face. He thrives on the competitivness of a defender in his face.
Boobie is a nickname. Why don't you call him that? It sounds a little weird, but whatever.As for Lebron hitting the faders, I do think that is his shot. If you have been following the Cavs for more that 3 weeks you would know that he is pretty good at those shots. It seems that he is better in hitting those than if he is open. He just likes having a hand in his face. He thrives on the competitivness of a defender in his face.
Funny, I see him chucking up fade away threes that barely get rim as often as they hit. He is not a very good shooter.

why would someone fade away while they're open? yeah if he's in the corner and takes a jumper that's one thing but i think you're misunderstanding the situation. LeBron's problem is VC's problem, only Vince Carter is a better shooter. If they start taking jumpers they get in trouble because its not +EV for them. Once again i'd like to apologize for saying +EVThe majority of the time LeBron James doesn't do well when taking outside shots. In the long run, fold K9o man :club:

why would someone fade away while they're open? yeah if he's in the corner and takes a jumper that's one thing but i think you're misunderstanding the situation. LeBron's problem is VC's problem, only Vince Carter is a better shooter. If they start taking jumpers they get in trouble because its not +EV for them. Once again i'd like to apologize for saying +EVThe majority of the time LeBron James doesn't do well when taking outside shots. In the long run, fold K9o man :club:
He is not the best shooter. Duh. But I think he is more comfortable taking fading away with someone in his face then taking an open shot. Of course he would still take the open shot though. Like in game 5 when he hit that awesome three near the end. He was hitting everything that day so it wasn't that big of a deal, but he seems to like those types of shots.

Food for thought....(from ESPN - TrueHoop By Henry AbbottTale of the Tape: LeBron James vs. the Spurs June 4, 2007 3:23 PMA year ago, when Cleveland faced San Antonio, LeBron James averaged 32 points per game. So you know that, when the Spurs faced the Cavaliers this season, they were taking him seriously.How did it go? Does it tell us anything about what might happen in the Finals?Thanks to the magic of Synergy Sports, I just watched video of every single possession LeBron James had against San Antonio's defense this season.Plenty of food for thought for all those of us who assume San Antonio will win. (I'm thinking long and hard about that at the moment, in fact.)First of all, the Cavaliers won both games. It was 88-81 back in November, and 82-78 in January. But that's only the beginning of the story. The main point is that when LeBron James got the ball against San Antonio's defense, the Cavaliers managed to get a good shot an alarming percentage of the time. There were a smattering of offensive fouls, certainly. And a couple of times James forced a pass that was picked off. I watched 50 possessions, between the two games. Eight times (nine if you count a pretty amazing Tim Duncan block of Anderson Varejao) the Spurs forced the Cavaliers into a turnover, an offensive foul, or a truly difficult shot.Trusting my observations, that means the Cavaliers had good looks 84% of the time. Seems like a high number against any team, but especially San Antonio.Those 42 times San Antonio was not successful? The Cavaliers either:Scored.Got fouled.Scored and got fouled.Missed easy shots (which they do sometimes).I have a feeling what happens with those easy shots will decide the 2006-2007 NBA champion.James finished those two games a combined 21-43 from the field without ever really getting on a hot streak from long range. By my count he missed 15 very makeable shots (not counting "and one" opportunities when he missed shots after being fouled), including an alley-oop, a few layups, and several open jumpers. Give James those same looks every game, and he could have some nights when he makes 70% of his shots.This is hardly the final analysis. In fact, how San Antonio defends Cleveland in the regular season may have very little to do with how they handle the Finals after a ton of time to prepare. And we'll all be learning MUCH more as all the preview insight is published. However, here are some things I noticed from watching that video: Bruce Bowen guards LeBron James almost all the time, except for a couple of Manu Ginobili cameos. Against a lot of players, Bowen is omnipresent and annoying. Against James, Bowen is a barely noticeable gnat. James can use his mighty frame to put Bowen into any and every pick, and then he's often wide open. When isolated against James, Bowen can't do much to bother James' fallaway jump shot, which is sometimes a high percentage shot.With the help of a pick, and sometimes without, James can get to the rim against the Spurs with shocking ease. Now, those of you who watched San Antonio play against Phoenix can tell you that "at the rim" is a nearly impossible place to score against the Spurs. The story is you're better off pulling up in the mid-range (which is the Achilles heel of LeBron James). I am here to tell you, sports fans, that those rules do not apply to LeBron James, who finishes at the rim against San Antonio with regularity -- at least in these two games. One reason is because often Tim Duncan is coming over to help far from the rim, and is not entrenched in the lane. But that only accounts for some possessions. On others? James is that rarest of players who just can score over and around Duncan. The genius of Duncan's defense is that he does not jump. He stays on the ground and saves his jumps for after the shot has been released. But James comes to the hoop so hard, he is so long, he is so strong, he is so fast, and he has a point of release so high, that he can score over or around a stationary Duncan -- forcing the big man into some non-routine habits.You can see James posterizing Duncan. That play was not entirely typical of the James/Duncan relationship. But note how easily James left Bowen behind when he had a pick and a mind to get to the rim. That happened a lot.The kryptonite of the Spurs is getting Tim Duncan in foul trouble. LeBron James could get Tim Duncan in foul trouble. I'm sure this series will be hyped in some fashion as LeBron James vs. Tim Duncan. Of course, they play totally different positions, and that would seem to be all hype. But, in fact, LeBron James vs. Tim Duncan may prove to be the key matchup for the various reasons outlined here. I should also mention that James does not look remotely scared of Duncan. You know how a lot players go away from Merlin? Not LeBron James.James posts Bowen a fair amount. This is not the easiest way for James to score, but it's a very effective way to get Tim Duncan coming over to help -- and when he gets there, James likes to spin to the baseline and lead everyone on a race to the hoop. It's clear, as that race unfolds, who is younger. More than once, in the half-court, James had layups with Duncan entirely behind him.The Spurs were not "going easy" on James in the footage that I saw. They tried a zone in which three players cheated way over to James. They briefly experimented with a high-energy trapping defense (James one-dribbled away from his man, and pulled up for a made jumper). They sent help early and often. And whenever James beat his man baseline -- where the passing angles are tougher -- as many as four Spurs met the young star.

You can see James posterizing Duncan. That play was not entirely typical of the James/Duncan relationship. But note how easily James left Bowen behind when he had a pick and a mind to get to the rim. That happened a lot.
I want this poster hanging in my apartment. Good post by the way. I can't imagine that the Spurs will play Lebron the same way, but you never know.
I'm annoyed with the Spurs, I will be rooting for Cleveland to win.
Sweet!
I want this poster hanging in my apartment. Good post by the way. I can't imagine that the Spurs will play Lebron the same way, but you never know.Sweet!
My guess is the Spurs will single cover Lebron in Quarters 1-3 and make him work for everything, then in the 4th send a hard trap and make other players make plays
My guess is the Spurs will single cover Lebron in Quarters 1-3 and make him work for everything, then in the 4th send a hard trap and make other players make plays
I think it's going to largely depend on how much foul trouble Bowen gets into guarding him. If he can stay out of foul trouble and is making Lebron work for shots your probably right. James is really a bad match-up for all the Spurs defenders, he's too tall and strong for all their guards and to quick for any of their forwards to stay with. If Lebron can keep from picking up to many charging calls while still putting pressure by getting past defenders and into the lane this could be a very interesting series. The other concern for the Cavs is how to play Duncan. I'm not sure they have anyone that matches up well enough to make him have to work really hard for baskets like Kurt Thomas was doing for the Suns. They do have enough big bodies they can keep running different people at him but I'm not sure how effective they will be.
I think it's going to largely depend on how much foul trouble Bowen gets into guarding him. If he can stay out of foul trouble and is making Lebron work for shots your probably right. James is really a bad match-up for all the Spurs defenders, he's too tall and strong for all their guards and to quick for any of their forwards to stay with. If Lebron can keep from picking up to many charging calls while still putting pressure by getting past defenders and into the lane this could be a very interesting series. The other concern for the Cavs is how to play Duncan. I'm not sure they have anyone that matches up well enough to make him have to work really hard for baskets like Kurt Thomas was doing for the Suns. They do have enough big bodies they can keep running different people at him but I'm not sure how effective they will be.
How's this for a thought? They play Scott Pollard against Duncan and have Pollard be extremely aggresive. If he fouls out-who cares, its Scott Pollard but if he doesn't get fouled and plays Duncan extremely aggresively, he might do well.

Even though I'm a huge Pistons fan, I really want to see Cleveland win. LeBron is the star in the NBA, and it would be nice to see him get the ring. Plus, I'm a sucker for the underdog and I hate Tim Duncan (probably more than LeBron.)

Even though I'm a huge Pistons fan, I really want to see Cleveland win. LeBron is the star in the NBA, and it would be nice to see him get the ring. Plus, I'm a sucker for the underdog and I hate Tim Duncan (probably more than LeBron.)
Piston's fan with a Grady Sizemore avatar? Sweet. This is from cavs.com:POINT GUARDLarry Hughes v. Tony ParkerParker – 19.8 ppg, 6.4 apg, 2.9 rpgHughes – 12.6 ppg, 2.6 apg, 4.1 rpgInjured early in the Pistons series, Hughes started the last two games, but Boobie Gibson closed – in style. Hughes gets a couple days to rest his left foot and his length could give Tony Parker problems. Hughes had two great games against the Spurs, going for nine and 13 points in the fourth quarters of both matchups, but Parker's speed – (mixed with Hughes' injury) – could force Mike Brown to go with a larger dose of Gibson in the second half. SHOOTING GUARDSasha Pavlovic vs. Michael FinleyPavlovic – 9.0 ppg, 2.6 rpg, 1.8 apgFinley – 13.1 ppg, 3.1 rpg, 1.2 apgMichael Finley is still in search of a ring and the crafty veteran matches up with the young Pavlovic – who began the Playoffs well, but has struggled to find his range since. Finley averaged a solid 13.1 ppg in 16 postseason games while Pavlovic got out to a good start – averaging 16 points in the first two games against New Jersey – but has reached double-figures only twice in the last 10. His solid defense against Rip Hamilton kept him in the lineup. SMALL FORWARDlebron_sm_070605.jpgLeBron James vs. Bruce BowenJames – 25.8 ppg, 8.3 rpg, 8.3 rpgBowen – 6.6 ppg, 3.7 rpg, 1.3 apgBruce Bowen's reputation as one of the league's best defenders will be put to the test when he faces off against LeBron James. LeBron started out slowly against Detroit, but was unstoppable in the Cavaliers' final four victories. Bowen had his problems with Deron Williams and now he's going against someone bigger, stronger and nearly as quick. Bowen will try to aggravate James and make him work on the defensive end. POWER FORWARDDrew Gooden vs. Tim DuncanGooden – 11.1 ppg, 8.5 rpg, 1.2 apgDuncan – 23.2 ppg, 11.4 rpg, 3.1 apgDrew Gooden has been solid throughout the postseason – averaging 11 and 8 – but he'll face his toughest test yet when he takes on the Big Fundamental, who's been at his best in the postseason. The future Hall of Famer and three-time Finals MVP can do everything but shoot free throws consistently, so look for the Cavaliers to send Anderson Varejao at him to try and get Duncan out of his game. Big Z has done well when matched up with Duncan. CENTERZydrunas Ilgauskas vs. Fabricio ObertoIlgauskas – 13.8 ppg, 9.5 rpg, 0.9 apgOberto – 5.9 ppg, 5.1 rpg, 0.8 apgWhereas Zydrunas Ilgauskas is a mainstay of the Cleveland offense, Fabricio Oberto rarely gets his number called on the offensive end. The Argentinean big man has shot the ball well in the postseason – 67 percent – but this matchup clearly favors the Large Lithuanian, who is shooting 52 percent from the floor and has been reborn in the postseason. Varejao will get plenty of time in the middle during the series. BENCHThe Spurs have one of the deepest benches in the NBA, led by their frenetic swingman, Manu Ginobili – who's as dangerous a reserve as there is in the league. He can create his own shot and stretches the defense with his outside shooting. Robert Horry can still hit the big shot as can Brent Barry – and both have big-time Playoff experience. Jacque Vaughn is a big, stellar backup point and Francisco Elson is their designated banger. The Wild Thing is a frontline jack-of-all-trades and Daniel Gibson is a loaded weapon coming off the Cavs bench who gains confidence with every outing. Donyell Marshall and Damon Jones stretch the defense and play steady, if not solid, D. Eric Snow is the stabilizer who will scrap with just about anyone and run the offense efficiently. He's the only Cavalier with Finals experience. HEAD COACHMike Brown vs. Gregg PopovichMike Brown brought the Spurs' system with him and the Cavaliers have been called "San Antonio East" because of their many ties to the perennial heavyweights. Gregg Popovich is one of Brown's close friends and coaching mentors. Popovich has Finals experience in spades while Brown makes his first foray into the Finals after back-to-back 50 win seasons at the helm of the Cavaliers. He's brought defense to a team that, after some mid-season growing pains, now believes totally in his system and message. Popovich's has commanded that for years in the Lone Star State.
How's this for a thought? They play Scott Pollard against Duncan and have Pollard be extremely aggresive. If he fouls out-who cares, its Scott Pollard but if he doesn't get fouled and plays Duncan extremely aggresively, he might do well.
I don't think your going to see much Pollard this series, Duncan isn't the fastest forward in the league but he is like lightning compared to Pollard. If they use him it will just be to pick up fouls on Duncan and put him at the line on easy shots.The Cavs need to shut down parker to win the series anyway, the team really feeds off him getting into the lane and making the defense collapse to get their shooters open looks. Duncan as big of a threat as he is really doesn't make the whole offense go. Keep that sissy frenchboy Parker out of the lane and from flopping all over and picking up cheap fouls and the Cavs have a good shot.Keys for Cavs winningLebron putting pressure on the Spurs defense by getting into the laneCavs shooters hitting open shotsKeeping Parker out of driving lanesRecovering effectively when there is penetrationReboundingShooting a high % from the free throw lineBench production needs to keep up with the Spurs
Keep that sissy frenchboy Parker out of the lane and fro flopping all over and picking up cheap fouls and the Cavs have a good shot.Keys for Cavs winningLebron putting pressure on the Spurs defense by getting into the lane-I think Lebron will do this well.Cavs shooters hitting open shots-If Boobie has a game like game 6, of Donyell has a game like game 6 vs. the Nets (or Sasha or Damon hitting their shots)-Cavs will be great (especially if the Spurs double team LBJ). Just imagine if two people (lets say Donyell and Boobie) have great games, the Spurs won't be able to double team LBJ because he will dish out the ball and like Mike Brown said, "...or it will be Boobie for 3"Keeping Parker out of driving lanesRecovering effectively when there is penetrationRebounding-Cavs have been great at this. Andy really always gives 100% and he can be pretty good.Shooting a high % from the free throw line This has been a problem-Boobie has been awesome, Z has been good, hopefully Lebron can get to the line a lot and hit a high percentageBench production needs to keep up with the Spurs-like I said, if Andy get rebounds and Boobie, Donyell, Damon, or Sasha have good games-Cavs bench can be great.
I love how you describe Parker.