Amazing play, if only slightly risky.Really, Ivey showed what he had with his raise pre flop and im sure Booth felt if the right texture came down he would make a move. That flop cant of helped Ivey as it was obvious he had a big pair, but Booth could easially have a middle pair and flopped a set. I know alot of people would call but Ivey is good enough to know that he should lay down a pair there. Unfortunatly for him though, so did Booth!If you want to talk about Risky bluffs what about Ivey's against Benyamine in the first hand of the Aussie Millions cash game? Now THAT hand is a reckless naked bluff!

If you want to talk about Risky bluffs what about Ivey's against Benyamine in the first hand of the Aussie Millions cash game? Now THAT hand is a reckless naked bluff!
i don't remember that one. refresh my memory.
Amazing play, if only slightly risky.If you want to talk about Risky bluffs what about Ivey's against Benyamine in the first hand of the Aussie Millions cash game? Now THAT hand is a reckless naked bluff!
Slightly risky?Not much more reckless than betting $250,000 with the nut low in a game where the high hand wins.

Brad knows its hard for anyone to call off 300k real money here, with 1 pair. Ivey knows that Brad is capable of having a lot of hands here, including AA. Loved the play, and thought the lay down was expected.

Easily the sickest hand in HSP history.

I think Booth needs a piece of it to push. I've never been an advocate of the totally naked bluff. Every time I've seen it tried, the perpetrator has eventually walked off, broke.
"The cardinal ****in rule, always leave yourself an out" - Rounders.Did anyone notice how Booth put the money out? It was kind of in an, in your face, I dare you to call this ****, way. Nothing like over a quarter million dollars staring you in the face, to intimidate you, and the others at the table probably picked up on the fact that Booth was semibluffing.I still don't blame Ivey though for folding, can you imagine facing a decision at the table for a quarter of a million dollars???I was walking around saying "Ugh, SO sick" for like the whole next day.

On 2+2 Barry G said that Ivey called him during the break to talk about the hand and Ivey said he thought Booth had AA and that he though Booth was a rich businessman and that even though they both play alot at the Bellagio they have never played together. I cant beleive Ivey goes into these games without knowing anything about an opponent.

There's an alternative version of this hand. In the other version Phil Ivey calls and when his opponent blanks he rips off his Brad Booth mask to reveal Mike Matusow. Mike then walks solemnly from the table after yet another "blow up".

Okay, before I say anything about this hand, I acknowledge the superior skill level of all those involved.That said, I thought Booth's play looked like the typical aggressive internet move on a draw. Granted, I would've assumed a bigger draw than the one he had, but a draw nonetheless. He clearly doesn't want to be called. I wouldn't think a set would do this. He's not representing an overpair here since that could be the best hand here and he's getting no value out of it.I think Gabe made a valid point on the broadcast, that he ran this bluff to advertise for the future. I would imagine every person he plays online will remember him going all in over the top of Ivey for 300k with 4-high. I personally didn't care for the actual play itself.

For everyone who is characterizing how Booth put in the money and how much he bet and everything, there's one key fact that we have to consider of all players who play at that level:They know what they're doing and how they expect their opponent to interpret their actions. When Booth makes the bet, Ivey can't automatically think "that's a huge intimidating bet which looks like he's on a draw" becuase Ivey knows that Booth might have wanted him to think that. The way he put in his cash was not something impulsive, it was something that was planned.And you're right about Gabe mentioning the advertising of it. Yeah, he might not have showed the hand in the game because he didn't want to be immediately impacted by it, but he knew that tons of people would see it on TV and it would help his image in the long run.

Okay, before I say anything about this hand, I acknowledge the superior skill level of all those involved.That said, I thought Booth's play looked like the typical aggressive internet move on a draw. Granted, I would've assumed a bigger draw than the one he had, but a draw nonetheless. He clearly doesn't want to be called. I wouldn't think a set would do this. He's not representing an overpair here since that could be the best hand here and he's getting no value out of it.I think Gabe made a valid point on the broadcast, that he ran this bluff to advertise for the future. I would imagine every person he plays online will remember him going all in over the top of Ivey for 300k with 4-high. I personally didn't care for the actual play itself.
Booth is well known (supposedly) for making overbets with the nuts and with other hands. Ivey obviously didn't know this having never played with him, but I would expect Booth to play a big made hand like this as well as his big draws (and occasional bluffs).
Booth is well known (supposedly) for making overbets with the nuts and with other hands. Ivey obviously didn't know this having never played with him, but I would expect Booth to play a big made hand like this as well as his big draws (and occasional bluffs).
Interesting. I've never seen Booth play nor know anything about him. I read in a few spots where Townsend told Ivey that this is an auto-call and Greenstein told Ivey he'd never fold to Booth in this spot.
I read in a few spots where Townsend told Ivey that this is an auto-call and Greenstein told Ivey he'd never fold to Booth in this spot.
See, but Booth wouldnt try this on them. He was playing the MAN. HE WAS PLAYING THE MANNNNNNAlso, I thought Booth represented AA more than anything else in this hand, and I read that's what Ivey was the most scared of.

From Chris Fargis' blog:

Also at my day one table was Brad Booth. I like Brad a lot. He is a funny, witty guy and a great poker player. Here is a play he made that I do not understand. It was a limped pot in one of the early levels, call it the 150-300 level. The flop came three small suited cards. Everyone checked to David Singer on the button and he bet 1500, which was about 2/3 of the pot. Then Brad moved in for 22k. David called with the KQ flush and Brad had the naked A. Of course Brad won the hand and I busted David a few hands later. I just don't see the value in this play. You will never get called by a weaker hand. Obviously it is a semi-bluff. But I think most flushes will call you here. The play screams out that he has exactly the hand he does. Would he ever move 22k into a 2500 pot with the nuts? I don't think so. It just seems like some of the time you win a small pot and some of the time you have 30% equity in an enormous one.
Basically Booth does these moves with draws and with huge hands which makes him pretty much unexploitable - either you pay off his big hands or you fold to his draws too often. It is one method that Bill Chen talks about in his book.
From Chris Fargis' blog:Basically Booth does these moves with draws and with huge hands which makes him pretty much unexploitable - either you pay off his big hands or you fold to his draws too often. It is one method that Bill Chen talks about in his book.
So go all in everytime he does it. Big hands are hard to come by!!! :club:
So go all in everytime he does it. Big hands are hard to come by!!! :club:
I'm sure he does it in reasonable balance. It is fairly close to an optimal strategy if you get the balance right.
I'm sure he does it in reasonable balance. It is fairly close to an optimal strategy if you get the balance right.
Yeah, I was joking...I think. :club:
Interesting. I've never seen Booth play nor know anything about him. I read in a few spots where Townsend told Ivey that this is an auto-call and Greenstein told Ivey he'd never fold to Booth in this spot.
I was actually playing with Booth one day at the Bellagio. I had been playing 10/20 NL after work and was up to like $6000. A seat opened up to my left and he sat down. He took one look at me (I came from work, wearing khakis and a polo, looking like a tourist) and I could tell he thought it'd be a great game. I only wound up playing an hour or so with him there and hardly played at all since I was pretty card dead. He played probably like 40-50% of the hands. Despite my not playing hands, he still looked disappointed when I racked up my chips, since he figured he'd get them if I ever played a hand. But, I actually knew who he was and was not happy to have him sitting to my left.
I was actually playing with Booth one day at the Bellagio. I had been playing 10/20 NL after work and was up to like $6000. A seat opened up to my left and he sat down. He took one look at me (I came from work, wearing khakis and a polo, looking like a tourist) and I could tell he thought it'd be a great game. I only wound up playing an hour or so with him there and hardly played at all since I was pretty card dead. He played probably like 40-50% of the hands. Despite my not playing hands, he still looked disappointed when I racked up my chips, since he figured he'd get them if I ever played a hand. But, I actually knew who he was and was not happy to have him sitting to my left.
coughcoughnamedroppingcoughcoughEDIT: Wait, you work? I thought this was your work!
coughcoughnamedroppingcoughcoughEDIT: Wait, you work? I thought this was your work!
QFT.Your job must be fukking awesome, since you arent playing teh pokre full time.
EDIT: Wait, you work? I thought this was your work!
No, I like that when I play, there's no pressure on me because my bills still get paid and everything whether I win or lose. I am a Structural Engineer and I actually really enjoy my job. Otherwise, I would probably play poker for a living.
But, I actually knew who he was...
Is that because he was wearing the puffy shirt from Seinfeld like on HSP?

I'd been aiting for this hand for weeks, and wow, to knock Ivey off of KK. The man is not a god.Congrats to the Yukoner