Random Hockey Observations

Dubnyk looks hurt.

Hope not. I'll be in St.Paul tomorrow night watching Anton Lander and his Oilers take on the Wild and superstar Mikael Granlund.

(maybe that McDavid kid too)

look for me, I'll be the extremely tired looking guy in the 2nd row behind the goalie.

• Replies 22.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• serge

• Zach6668

• digitalmonkey

• MapleLeafpoker

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Taking Jin to his first NHL game Sunday. Seats close to the glass and I get to see McDavid. Probably the last game I see at The Joe.

I want Subban to win all the Norrises now.

vezina NOMINATION for Dev. **** yeahhhhhhhhhhhh. Going to vegas in June

Posted Images

Parayko has 10 shots on net tonight already, plus another 3 "shot attempts".

he just scored off a shot attempt that hit the back board, and went in off goalies skate.

its incredible how many great shots you can get off and nothing goes in, and then you miss the net, and its a goal.

Observations from the game I saw in Minnesota. (Oilers vs Wild)

- never met fans like this before in other cities. They know their hockey, all the rules, how the game is played, why coaches match lines....even the 55year old woman beside me knew about zone starts. BUT, they know very little about the NHL, in that, they could care less about the Eastern Conference, and when they found out we were from TO, they barely knew how the Leafs were doing. Its Wild, its college/high school hockey, or they dont care.

- my friends are insane. After finding out I was going to layover on my flight back from Europe for 24hrs in Minneapolis to see a game, 2 of them drove 15hrs to come for the day, and then drove back. We had a blast, but I dont think I could spend 30 out of 50 hours driving.

- McDavid. Superstar. Will be best player in the NHL in 3yrs. I already sort of believed it anyway, but seeing it live....worth the travel just to see him. If you get a chance to see him anywhere, make it happen. Many a shift I just watched him, and was amazed how often he made the best play possible.

- the arena was the best I have ever been. We trekked up to the top to see the views, and they were great. This makes arena #8 for me (maybe 9?) and this was prob best yet. Beautiful place.

- My section was in love with Dubeys brother. I was tempted to tell them my best friend in the whole wide world was his brother, but I didnt bother. :)

- I dont think Daniel ever reads the other threads, but fyi to all, at a bar for the pre game we got into some convos with fans, and the topic of the Vegas team came up, and I asked a huge group the question of whether they would travel to Vegas to see the Wild. Almost all of them said yes, and it was about 15guys, 5girls.

- They really drink in the twin cities. And friendly people. Glad Ive been, another one off the bucket list.

• Like 2

Nice. I've been to that rink, but it was for a concert. I went to the old Met Center to watch the Jets and the North Stars in the early 90s, though. My first NHL game, I think. Or my 2nd. My first could have been at the Winnipeg Arena earlier that year or the year before. I always forget the order in which I saw them.

And ya, they love their hockey there. Many northern MN hockey tournaments when I was a kid.

I like Minneapolis-St. Paul. It's been a long time since I've been though, I'd like to get back eventually. I haven't even had a Jucy Lucy yet.

I was wondering about McDavid too... I was wondering how long it would take for him to overtake Sid. Sid's 28, so he's probably past his scoring prime, though I'd still expect him to be challenging for the scoring title for a few years more. It wouldn't surprise me if we see McDavid up there very soon.

I haven't even had a Jucy Lucy yet.

ya, a few things like that I didnt get to. Had some of the popular local micro brewery stuff, but no juicy lucy, and didnt even make it to Whitecastle. the guys found it on their way back though.

sitting in front of me at game ended up a guy who had lived in Winnipeg, and he mentioned its only 6hrs or so from Wpg. (he was originally from Neepawa, where Ive actually been to see a client, small world)

I was wondering about McDavid too... I was wondering how long it would take for him to overtake Sid. Sid's 28, so he's probably past his scoring prime, though I'd still expect him to be challenging for the scoring title for a few years more. It wouldn't surprise me if we see McDavid up there very soon.

is it too late to take him for Art Ross bet? because if its 10-1 or more, i would take it

Observations from the game I saw in Minnesota. (Oilers vs Wild)

- They really drink in the twin cities. And friendly people. Glad Ive been, another one off the bucket list.

Watching a game in Minnesota is on your bucket list?

I don't think most of us understand the attitude towards driving that people in Western Canada (TB is more Manitoba than Ontario) have. To them a 6 hour drive is nothing to make on a regular basis.

I don't know about a 6-hour drive on the regular, but a couple hours isn't crazy, I guess?

I don't know, compared to what in the south? Like, people from here are taking road trips all the time. Toronto-MTL is 6 hours, or Toronto to Pittsburgh, etc. There's just no other options to driving from Thunder Bay. We have an "international" airport, but you can't just pop down to Minneapolis from there directly.

We would always drive to Winnipeg (7-8 hours), but that's like twice a year, tops. And rarely, if ever, in the winter. My Mom won't drive it in the winter anymore, in fact, she's flying there for Christmas (so am I!).

My dad used to drive between TB and Fort Frances every week or two. That'd be like driving to Kingston.

But remember, there's never 401 traffic, there's never a long delay. Like, almost never. There's been a couple I remember. One was like a forest fire, and another was a huge wreck closing the highway.

And again, there are basically no other options.

In California a 4-6 hour drive isn't far. A 3 hour drive is normal.

We drive a lot for hockey and it's not a big deal. Traffic isn't bad at all, rarely any. Obviously LA being the exception.

Currently from where we live we can drive to the beach to swim and in the same day drive and go skiing.

Watching a game in Minnesota is on your bucket list?

I dont have a list. I just have a desire to see as many places as possible in my life, and enjoy them as they are. Whether its a hockey game in Minnesota, or a bar in Dublin, or a pizzeria in Verona,Italy....I just love being somewhere I have never been before. Im not a sightseeing type, I just like to walk around a city and enjoy its culture/food/drink/life. Travel/people fascinate me.

(essentially, I want to be Bourdain, but a bigger sports fan)

• Like 1

I dont have a list. I just have a desire to see as many places as possible in my life, and enjoy them as they are. Whether its a hockey game in Minnesota, or a bar in Dublin, or a pizzeria in Verona,Italy....I just love being somewhere I have never been before. Im not a sightseeing type, I just like to walk around a city and enjoy its culture/food/drink/life. Travel/people fascinate me.

(essentially, I want to be Bourdain, but a bigger sports fan)

I hear you. Back in my younger days I only had 2 things on my bucket list. Watching a game in the Old Boston Garden and the Old Chicago Stadium. Since my wife has family in Chicago meeting that goal was no issue since we drive there alot back in the 90s.

I think walking around a city is tremendous and you get to soak alot more in. New York is tough since there is so much to see and we want to head back again. Boston is actually on our list of things to do as a family.

The thing is I have never ever travel overseas. Call me crazy but I don't want to head over to Europe or Asia. I rather travel in North America.