Oop With Overpair Against Scary(not Really?) River

PokerStars 10/20 Hold'em (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FlopTurnRiver)Im gonna be posting a bunch of hands today since the forum seems fairly dead.No reads new to table.Preflop: Hero is SB with Qdiamond.gif, Qheart.gif. UTG raises, 1 fold, MP1 calls, 1 fold, MP3 3-bets, 2 folds, Hero caps, 1 fold, UTG calls, MP1 calls, MP3 calls.Flop: (17 SB) 9spade.gif, 9club.gif, Tdiamond.gif(4 players)Hero bets, UTG calls, MP1 calls, MP3 raises, Hero 3-bets, UTG folds, MP1 calls, MP3 calls.Turn: (13.50 BB) 6diamond.gif(3 players)Hero bets, MP1 calls, MP3 calls.River: (16.50 BB) 8heart.gif(3 players)Hero bets?Seems standard? Cant put anyone on a 7. MP1 may have QJ but seems unlikely given my hand. What if Im raised?

Are you looking for call from JJ ?I don't see the value in a bet unless you can fold and I can't in this pot when scare cards hit (and I can't argue that b/f is ever correct here)check call.
I guess I just expect to almost always have the best hand here and hope I will get called by something like JJ which is a huge part of villains range. I also dont expect to be bluffed here often enough to try to induce a bluff. One of my weaknesses though is often narrowing my opponents range too much to the point where Im not giving other possible hands enough credit. I think there is a bit of value to not showing my hand too, but that value is very small.
. I think there is a bit of value to not showing my hand too, but that value is very small.
Checking too often on the river imo, lets them peel more turns, knowing the showdown is free.Here, I would think of the hands that call or bet, you beat almost as many of the ones that bet, and never play for 2 bets

Wow! What in the world is so good about MP1's hand where he is only flat callling all that action preflop and on the flop? He has either got a monster and is playing it cool or is a super duper calling station. No way I put him on a 7, not even pocket 7's. The only pocket pairs where anyone can keep calling preflop and on the flop would be 9's (IMO submarginal with all that action preflop) or 10's for the nuts. But wouldn't he bet that on the turn? Seems he would be losing a bet on the turn by not raising.Tough situation to find yourself in, especially being new to the table.Your bet is standard. But there is no way you can fold to any raise at this point. However, I would expect to lose if MP1 starts firing on the river.

qj and 87 just hit. c/c
Those hands shouldnt even see the flop though! MP1 could have 99 or 1010 by his actions. He probably wont have AA or KK cause he would have raised. He would have folded 910 preflop so we could rule that out. MP3 probably has AA or KK so I think you are beat. I think you should C/C and save a bet. If you had good reads on the others you could even muck if MP1 bet and MP3 raises. But again I think you are beat!
plenty of players cal with 87s and qjs there preflopWe beat several hands on the river, not sure we beat a lot that call the and play as they did
I just cant see people calling with 87s or QJs in THIS situation. Too much preflop action and calling too many bets cold for someone to hold one of those hands
I just cant see people calling with 87s or QJs in THIS situation. Too much preflop action and calling too many bets cold for someone to hold one of those hands
You are grossly underestimating how much most people suck at poker.

I'm in the c/c crowd, unless you're looking to not show your hand. There doesn't seem to be enough hands that you beat which would call here (JTs, ATs, JJ) and a raise would almost always mean you're beat, but I think you're stuck calling it anyway. I don't know how many worse hands will take a shot if you check, but I think the bets you get from a river call will not outweigh the bets saved from getting raised or called with by better hand. I hope that makes sense...I need another cup of coffee :club:

Lol, thanks. that's how I make all my money, check/call is the way to beat any game. I think I read that in a book somewhere.
That doesn't sound right.I feast off of passive check-callers.--CM

I'm not sure possible straight draws would raise or call a cap bet preflop, no matter how bad they suck at poker. Maybe at a play money 10/20 table.What I'd be concerned about is TT, KK and AA, all of which likely would, and all of which have you beat. So does 9x though like the straight draws, not sure what 9x would have raised or called cap preflop, other than the highly unlikely 99.Much like the others, I'm cool with c/cing from the turn forward.

I'm not sure possible straight draws would raise or call a cap bet preflop, no matter how bad they suck at poker. Maybe at a play money 10/20 table.What I'd be concerned about is TT, KK and AA, all of which likely would, and all of which have you beat. So does 9x though like the straight draws, not sure what 9x would have raised or called cap preflop, other than the highly unlikely 99.Much like the others, I'm cool with c/cing from the turn forward.
I dont think AA or KK are that likely. I think they would have capped the flop. Also I dont think anyone else is c/c the turn. Its way too passive with what is likely the best hand and there are lots of bad river cards.