Well...lost My Roll.

I want to start this off by saying that I'm waaay underage; still in high school. I just wanted to give you some perspective there.I guess I'll just start from the beginning. A couple of months ago I deposited $50 into FTP. I won and cashed a few MTTs and did well in some ring games. I quickly built my roll to near $1200. Long story short, I moved up stakes and lost it all.So, with that being said, should I just give up playing online for a while? I mean, I obviously can't get a live game. Should I make another deposit and take my chances of blowing it again? I'm just looking for some insight here. Thanks.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends, are you gonna be a dumb *** again? :club::D:D:D
As harsh as this sounds, it's a pretty good question. Make another deposit if you're willing to play within your roll.
I want to start this off by saying that I'm waaay underage; still in high school. I just wanted to give you some perspective there.I guess I'll just start from the beginning. A couple of months ago I deposited $50 into FTP. I won and cashed a few MTTs and did well in some ring games. I quickly built my roll to near $1200. Long story short, I moved up stakes and lost it all.So, with that being said, should I just give up playing online for a while? I mean, I obviously can't get a live game. Should I make another deposit and take my chances of blowing it again? I'm just looking for some insight here. Thanks.
I'm a senior in high school too I know how it feels trying to get a live game. You should be proud to run $50 to $1200, of course if you're under 18 it's illegal so that should be considered. I'd say reload for another $50 and see what you can grind out, given that you won't play over your head again. Out of curiousity what stakes were you playing?

Yeah, if I reload I'll definitely play within my limits. To the poster above me, I'm actually a freshman =(. As far as stakes go, I went from 1/2 (possibly too high already) to (this is embarrasing to admit) 3/6. So I guess yeah, I was definitely being a dumbass.

I had a similar problem holiday break I blew through my 400 roll and tried to get it back with black jack. It's ok you're hella young. Not the end of your career at all. 200 dollars double or nothing! 14 against a jack o rly?

I'm Junior in HS. It sounds like you are atleast semi-decent enough if you ran $50 into $1200 over a semi-long period of time (you didn't just hit one big pay day). I'd say put another $50 on, $100 would be better, but its your money (I put $50 on Absolute twice when I was a freshman, it was around the time of Raymer's win and I was getting into poker but didn't really understand it well so I lost it both times, I have since won plenty as I've learned the game from top to bottom over the past 3 years).As for live play. See if there's home game in your area that will let you play, if you want to that is. I have found a lot of them around my town. Most guys don't care if your underage, as long as you have the money and don't complain a lot. Live play will make you a better player than online will. Atleast that's my opinion...

This is what they call "paying your dues".Congratulations on taking your first steps towards TP/MM.

$50 life lesson...cheap.
Agreed.I like to look at it as paying your stupid tax! :club:
As for live play. See if there's home game in your area that will let you play, if you want to that is. I have found a lot of them around my town. Most guys don't care if your underage, as long as you have the money and don't complain a lot. Live play will make you a better player than online will. Atleast that's my opinion...
Yeah, I doubt there is one in my little conservative town, but I'll definitely look into finding one. Any ideas as to where to start?"I like to look at it as paying your stupid tax! "Mmm...Had to do it sooner or later. =P

Keep playing. You're in HS, you have nothing to lose. Just play within basic BR requirements and if you're serious about poker and good enough you'll have a nice fat roll before you know it. If you make a habit of playing too high you'll just keep going broke and end up nowhere.What I would give to be 16, 17 years old and start building a bankroll. I look at playing poker while in HS or College as a freeroll and you can choose to build up for years and years conservatively and graduate from College with a financial head start -or- you can try and get lucky and play higher than you should and keep going broke time and time again. Sure you could get a big score but if you continue to play too high it's only a matter of time before you're broke again, unless you're Phil Ivey good. But, if you're Phil Ivey good you'll get there anyway right?Sorry, a little long and perhaps preachy I just think about this situation sometimes and wonder what it would be like to start that young.

Keep playing. You're in HS, you have nothing to lose. Just play within basic BR requirements and if you're serious about poker and good enough you'll have a nice fat roll before you know it. If you make a habit of playing too high you'll just keep going broke and end up nowhere.What I would give to be 16, 17 years old and start building a bankroll. I look at playing poker while in HS or College as a freeroll and you can choose to build up for years and years conservatively and graduate from College with a financial head start -or- you can try and get lucky and play higher than you should and keep going broke time and time again. Sure you could get a big score but if you continue to play too high it's only a matter of time before you're broke again, unless you're Phil Ivey good. But, if you're Phil Ivey good you'll get there anyway right?Sorry, a little long and perhaps preachy I just think about this situation sometimes and wonder what it would be like to start that young.
Wow, that was actually really inspiring. I'm completely convinced to reload and rebuild at the low stakes. Thanks.

well you must be a pretty average player if you were to get your roll up to 1200$. It cant be all from luck or can it?just make sure you play within your BR and if u do win, still keep the same game plan as before. If u do so, it'll be harder for you to go busto. I've been there before and i know how it is when u win big, u want to move up in limits, i did so too. But i was a hard head and didnt listen to my own advice and to what ppl were telling me. Now i'm more wiser w/my roll and more cautious. So just stick it out and grind at the correct limits your BR has to offer.jcash

well you must be a pretty average player if you were to get your roll up to 1200$. It cant be all from luck or can it?just make sure you play within your BR and if u do win, still keep the same game plan as before. If u do so, it'll be harder for you to go busto. I've been there before and i know how it is when u win big, u want to move up in limits, i did so too. But i was a hard head and didnt listen to my own advice and to what ppl were telling me. Now i'm more wiser w/my roll and more cautious. So just stick it out and grind at the correct limits your BR has to offer.jcash
It can absolutely be from all luck. Not even debateable. I'm not saying this guy can't play, I have no frieken idea. But ANYbody can play way above their roll and keep doubling up with a little bit of luck. It doesn't take too many flush draws and 3 outers to turn $100 into $200, $200 into $400, $400 into $800...etc...running goot while playing above your bankroll is not success, it is pure luck.
Yeah, if I reload I'll definitely play within my limits. To the poster above me, I'm actually a freshman =(. As far as stakes go, I went from 1/2 (possibly too high already) to (this is embarrasing to admit) 3/6. So I guess yeah, I was definitely being a dumbass.
You deposited $50 and started with 1/2? That's suicide. I would deposit $50, short buy into a .05/.10 game and grind my way to atleast $200 before moving to .10/.25. If you played 3/6 with a 1200 BR that will never work in the long run. That's 2 buy-ins. Most people on this forum have atleast 20 buy-ins in their BR. Use your head, and you will move up quickly.
You deposited $50 and started with 1/2? That's suicide. I would deposit $50, short buy into a .05/.10 game and grind my way to atleast $200 before moving to .10/.25. If you played 3/6 with a 1200 BR that will never work in the long run. That's 2 buy-ins. Most people on this forum have atleast 20 buy-ins in their BR. Use your head, and you will move up quickly.
Nonononono. I didn't start at 1/2. I'm not that terrible. I started at .5/.10, won an MTT and cashed another, then started playing 1/2. Moved up to 3/6 a couple days later.
It can absolutely be from all luck. Not even debateable. I'm not saying this guy can't play, I have no frieken idea. But ANYbody can play way above their roll and keep doubling up with a little bit of luck. It doesn't take too many flush draws and 3 outers to turn $100 into $200, $200 into $400, $400 into $800...etc...running goot while playing above your bankroll is not success, it is pure luck.
I'm not an all-in on a draw kind of guy. ^_- But I do understand completely where you're coming from, but it wasn't an "OMG 1200 IN AN HOUR!!!!" kind of thing.
Yeah, I doubt there is one in my little conservative town, but I'll definitely look into finding one. Any ideas as to where to start?"I like to look at it as paying your stupid tax! "Mmm...Had to do it sooner or later. =P
Arent any of your High school buddies into playing poker? Start your own game.
Arent any of your High school buddies into playing poker? Start your own game.
None of them are willing to play a decent game. I told them .25/50 was about as low as I'd go. They won't go higher than a $1 sit and go, which really isn't worth the amount of time it takes. I just found a game in my town though on homepokergames (thanks omaha hi/lo) and I emailed the guy in charge. Hopefully they'll let me in.
I'm not an all-in on a draw kind of guy. ^_- But I do understand completely where you're coming from, but it wasn't an "OMG 1200 IN AN HOUR!!!!" kind of thing.
That's a plus..