Flush Draw With Overcards

Last night on AP I was in a large MTT 5 dollar 2500 gtd. tourney..Out of the 600 that played, it was down to the final 29, I was 8th.Anyways to the hand..Blinds: 800/1600Villain: 21kHero:21.5kVillain raises from EP to 4kI am dealt AhJh in the small blind I callFlop: 9h 3h 2sI check, villain immediately goes all in?I knew at this point the villain had an overpair, I was putting him on queens... Do I make this call?If I win, I've set myself up to cruise to the FT, if not I'm done

I agree hes probably got an overpair to the board, though I dont think you can narrow it further. Putting all of the overpairs in his range your about a 55:45 underdog. Youve got a decent odds edge, and given the overall tourney position you have when you win its probably even better for $EV. Call.

Well, you've certainly got the odds to call, especially against QQ and KK. Aces and flopped sets are really the only hands that make it a bad call based on odds, and he probably doesn't have a set based on the action. As for actually calling, well, that depends mostly on the other players/the money involved and its meaning to you. If the players are fairly weak and you can see yourself being able to pick up a lot of small pots, that's an argument for folding. If they are aggressive and you find yourself waiting for premium hands, that's an argument for calling. If moving up a couple of spots means a lot to your bankroll, that's an argument for folding. If the payout structure is really flat and the prizes are insignificant until the final table, that's an argument for calling. All that said, I would probably call. You're pretty much guaranteed to have 12 outs twice, and you're unlikely to be in a spot this good for a while. I always hate going out of a tournament after folding in a bunch of 50-50 situations and then going all-in w/ pocket 3's short-stacked and losing to J-7.

Yeah...I call....9 outs twice...often 12 outs....sometimes 15.I also probably lead all in...get hands like AK/AQ to fold.With an M of 9, anyone reraise all-in preflop?

Yeah...I call....9 outs twice...often 12 outs....sometimes 15.I also probably lead all in...get hands like AK/AQ to fold.With an M of 9, anyone reraise all-in preflop?
Ahhh...I lost track of that in doing the odds calculation. My first inclination was reraise preflop, not wanting to play AJs OOP on most flops, and given the stacks all-in is probably the only reasonable raise.
Well, you've certainly got the odds to call, especially against QQ and KK. Aces and flopped sets are really the only hands that make it a bad call based on odds, and he probably doesn't have a set based on the action. As for actually calling, well, that depends mostly on the other players/the money involved and its meaning to you. If the players are fairly weak and you can see yourself being able to pick up a lot of small pots, that's an argument for folding. If they are aggressive and you find yourself waiting for premium hands, that's an argument for calling. If moving up a couple of spots means a lot to your bankroll, that's an argument for folding. If the payout structure is really flat and the prizes are insignificant until the final table, that's an argument for calling. All that said, I would probably call. You're pretty much guaranteed to have 12 outs twice, and you're unlikely to be in a spot this good for a while. I always hate going out of a tournament after folding in a bunch of 50-50 situations and then going all-in w/ pocket 3's short-stacked and losing to J-7.
It's tough to win small pots when you only have 11x the BB
It's tough to win small pots when you only have 11x the BB
Actually, it's quite easy...blinds or blinds with limpers are small pots that get picked up with all-ins against weak players.

Well, what ended up happening was I called he flipped over JJ..The turn was a 4 which gave me a draw,but a blank on river left me crippled and I went out the next hand...Not angry with the results, but not happy either. You have to win these types of coin flips in order to fair well large tourneys, oh well, I already won this tourney on Tuesday, so 28th is alright...Thanks for the help guys

Well, what ended up happening was I called he flipped over JJ..The turn was a 4 which gave me a draw,but a blank on river left me crippled and I went out the next hand...Not angry with the results, but not happy either. You have to win these types of coin flips in order to fair well large tourneys, oh well, I already won this tourney on Tuesday, so 28th is alright...Thanks for the help guys
He played it right... looked like a flop for 10,10 or JJ and is protecting hi hand.

Tough spot. I am gonna lean towards folding since you were 8th in chips. Yes, the blinds are really high, but calling off your stack here isn't the best move. All you have to do is pick up a round or two of blinds and antes and you make up for what you lost in the hand.I think flat calling against an EP raiser at a full table is the correct move with AJ. I'm probably leading the flop and committing myself to the pot. If you check, I think it's with the intention of check-folding if he pushes like that.