"New RuleTournament officials just made an announcement about a new rule that is in place at the World Poker Open. It was announced that after the river is out and you are the last to act, if you hold the nuts and check, you will receive a 10-minute penalty.Needless to say, this has spurred many interesting conversations at almost every table."-Cardplayer's live updates....?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

imo, i think this rule will seriously change the implications of poker. I think that with this rule in place, the game will become a much better, and wholesome place for players, staff, floorpeople and dealers alike.SW?seriously though, it will make no difference. unless a guy is playing a hand in the blind, what happens then ?

I thought this was a joke, but it is really posted on cardplayer. WTF? I suppose now they will make a rule if you hold pocket aces before the flop in the BB and no raises have been made you must check? I don't see why this needs to be a rule. Am I missing something here?

I thought this was a joke, but it is really posted on cardplayer. WTF? I suppose now they will make a rule if you hold pocket aces before the flop in the BB and no raises have been made you must check? I don't see why this needs to be a rule. Am I missing something here?
SW
?

I would guess what happened was someone checked the nuts when they were last to act and that outraged some people at the table who complained to the tourney director who decided to make this rule.What's interesting though, is if you're in a multi-way pot and you're first to act and want to check to induce action later. Would this be against the rules? Or is it only if you're last to act?

It makes perfect sense. If you're holding the nuts and action is checked around to you and you check as well, you're soft-playing your opponent. And nobody should have mistaken this rule to mean that you can't check with the nuts in any other position but last to act.An easy way around this for 2 friends who might try to soft play each other... Agree that if someone has the absolute nuts at the river, just go all-in. The other guy folds without losing another chip. Same effect, no penalty.

It makes perfect sense. If you're holding the nuts and action is checked around to you and you check as well, you're soft-playing your opponent. And nobody should have mistaken this rule to mean that you can't check with the nuts in any other position but last to act.An easy way around this for 2 friends who might try to soft play each other... Agree that if someone has the absolute nuts at the river, just go all-in. The other guy folds without losing another chip. Same effect, no penalty.
Oh..Okay.... :club:

So in limit tournament, with both players having broadway, no flushes.They must reraise till all the money is in, then let the dealer split the pot?sw

This makes perfect senseIf you are soft playing your opponents, you should receive a penaltyif you are too stupid to realize you have the nuts, you should also receive a penaltyI doubt you will see it inforced that often though

this is such an awful rule, it should be critiqued by all. there are situations in hands where you hold the nut flush and you're quite sure the other guy has second nut flush. if you lead he's only going to call, but you may be able to get a check raise in. it takes away a very important aspect of the game.

this is such an awful rule, it should be critiqued by all. there are situations in hands where you hold the nut flush and you're quite sure the other guy has second nut flush. if you lead he's only going to call, but you may be able to get a check raise in. it takes away a very important aspect of the game.
you only get the penalty if you are LAST to act.in which case, you cant try and check/raise someone
last to act big guy
"New RuleTournament officials just made an announcement about a new rule that is in place at the World Poker Open. It was announced that after the river is out and you are the last to act, if you hold the nuts and check, you will receive a 10-minute penalty.
I must be the dumbest person here but I have to ask: how would you know? Sometimes you might know - but .....My daughter was playing an online mtt and had pocket Ks. She flopped the third and made the fourth K on the river. One other player was calling al her raises and she managed to get all the money in. He had a straight flush. So, in this situation under the new rule, if she sees the possibility and checks and he doesn't have it and she wins, does she get a penalty? Do you always know when you have the nuts on the river? I think this is a stupid and invasive rule. And it's just more catering to the mediocre. But some of you think it's a good rule, so, why, exactly? Obviously I am missing something.

1) It is only if you are LAST to act2) This is just a rule for this tournament so what dose it matter what happens at a limit tourney3) its always posible to know what the nuts are. If there is a posible straight flush then quads arn't the nuts.