Pittsburgh Penguins Thread

Ok guys - I vow not to touch anything blue tomorrow, wear my lucky underwear, my Lemieux jersey, and I will be in attendance to help turn things around and win this series. Hopefully the actual players will meet me halfway.

• Replies 14.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Zach6668

• dEv~

• serge

• doox

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Brag post time. Lots of people saw pictures of Malkin practicing and Fleury in his new pads but I just saw them in person during a closed practice.     I was down at the arena to get my security

Yes I agree that Crosby kids gotta go. Can I interest you in a phaneuf?

JapersRink ‏@JapersRink · 20m Really looking forward to Dan Bylsma being either an idiot who can't win with Sid or a genius who can win without a bottom-6 after tonight.

Was listening to Mark Madden, he was on a Toronto radio show. Man that guy is fun. Some things he said :

Dan Bylsma is an Ahl coach that got lucky with a Stanley cup in 2009. Any coach would have won

Crosby is not playing like an elite player. Coaches fault

Penguins need massive changes.

He's a complete idiot.

Not that he may not be wrong here, but he's a complete idiot.

Ya he sounded like one of those shock jock sports guys, who says things just to create controversy...

He made fun of the city of Toronto a lot...

Ya he sounded like one of those shock jock sports guys, who says things just to create controversy...

He is and does but that doesn't mean he's wrong, especially about the penguins.

He's a complete idiot.

this.

Also, Crosby is going to have a huge game tonight I think, and he is who I fear as a temp fan of the Rangers.

Thing is, I'd rather have Lundqvist than him tonight. In 1 game, Id rather have the best goalie in the league, than the best player in the world.

this.

Also, Crosby is going to have a huge game tonight I think, and he is who I fear as a temp fan of the Rangers.

Thing is, I'd rather have Lundqvist than him tonight. In 1 game, Id rather have the best goalie in the league, than the best player in the world.

Interesting. Best goalie or best player. I think Ovechkin is the best player in the world tho, but for sake of the argument, we will pretend Crosby is. I think the answer is neither, I would rather have the best coach in the world. Game 7 comes down to strategy. You want a guy playing chess when everyone else is playing checkers.

He's a complete idiot.

TSN1200 floated the idea that since the 2009 Stanley Cup victory, given that the east has basically only 2 teams - Penguins & Bruins, Pittsburgh has been one of the most disappointing teams in the playoffs. And if they hadn't won that cup* we'd probably lump them with Washington.

* kind of silly what-if because they did but whatever

Well, it's dumb to call it a two team conference, for one. Washington was putting up 110+ pt seasons, Philly had some, etc.

It's a numbers thing, though. There's only one team that makes it out of the east. Only two make it to the conference finals. You just can't do it every year with the luck factor in hockey.

Let's not forget one of those seasons, Pittsburgh was without Crosby AND Malkin for Christ's sake. Can we just write that one off? We probably should. (That was 10/11)

Look, I don't want to sit here and make excuses for them, of course I hoped they'd have won another Cup right now, but look at the facts.

In 5 seasons of having Crosby/Malkin, the won a Cup, they lost in the finals once, they lost in the conference finals once. You take that all day long. IMO. That's what I keep coming back to. I don't care, it's good. Winning in hockey is hard.

Was listening to Mark Madden, he was on a Toronto radio show. Man that guy is fun. Some things he said :

Dan Bylsma is an Ahl coach that got lucky with a Stanley cup in 2009. Any coach would have won

Crosby is not playing like an elite player. Coaches fault

Penguins need massive changes.

I agree with everything but the bolded part. Therrien, for one, wouldn't have won them the Cup. I think Bylsma was the coach they needed at the time, for a breath of fresh air. They were in a rut, but you can't discount Therrien's influence on that team. I think the combination of a fresh outlook with Bylsma, along with Therrien's lingering discipline and structure made for the perfect storm. I was hoping Jacques Martin would provide a nice structure to help balance out the offensive talent, and in a lot of ways, I think he has. It's a tied series - it isn't like the Pens are being blown out. However, it's all about results and not getting to the Conference Finals, let alone the Cup, would not be an acceptable result.

I think tonights game is a career defining moment for Sidney Crosby...We maybe overstating it, but the media will be all over this....Have a bad game and all summer it will be talked about..

Lets see how he answers..

by the way Ovechkin is nowhere near the best player in hockey..

Its between Crosby and Toews and looks like its a consensus that Toews has taken over...

I agree with everything but the bolded part. Therrien, for one, wouldn't have won them the Cup. I think Bylsma was the coach they needed at the time, for a breath of fresh air. They were in a rut, but you can't discount Therrien's influence on that team. I think the combination of a fresh outlook with Bylsma, along with Therrien's lingering discipline and structure made for the perfect storm. I was hoping Jacques Martin would provide a nice structure to help balance out the offensive talent, and in a lot of ways, I think he has. It's a tied series - it isn't like the Pens are being blown out. However, it's all about results and not getting to the Conference Finals, let alone the Cup, would not be an acceptable result.

its tough to quantify, but say a coach like Mike Babcock , does he win 3 stanley Cups in the last 6 years? Or at least give them a chance..Its hard to say...

Some people blamed the poor showing of Team USA on Disco Dan as well...I think he is a good coach..But the expiry date has come to move on...

by the way Ovechkin is nowhere near the best player in hockey..

Its between Crosby and Toews and looks like its a consensus that Toews has taken over...

lol. ok. I don't even care if it's Crosby or not, but I find it hilarious how small the samples we need to determine that someone is the new "consensus" best player in hockey.

Remember when Giroux was because the Flyers won a playoff series against the Penguins?

May I remind you that Jonathan Toews had 1 goal in his first 20 (TWENTY!) games last playoffs? (He added a whole 8 assists). Remember when Seabrook had to calm HIM down in the penalty box?

Short memories and ignorance of sample size runs rampant in the media in these types of discussions.

I love Toews as a player, he's a wonderful captain, leader, and he has a pretty good history of showing up in big games, but his streak last season should go on to remind us how much luck is involved in hockey.

By the way, the consensus best player in the NHL wasn't even a consensus top 3 in the regular season... so...?

lol. ok. I don't even care if it's Crosby or not, but I find it hilarious how small the samples we need to determine that someone is the new "consensus" best player in hockey.

Remember when Giroux was because the Flyers won a playoff series against the Penguins?

May I remind you that Jonathan Toews had 1 goal in his first 20 (TWENTY!) games last playoffs? (He added a whole 8 assists). Remember when Seabrook had to calm HIM down in the penalty box?

Short memories and ignorance of sample size runs rampant in the media in these types of discussions.

I love Toews as a player, he's a wonderful captain, leader, and he has a pretty good history of showing up in big games, but his streak last season should go on to remind us how much luck is involved in hockey.

By the way, the consensus best player in the NHL wasn't even a consensus top 3 in the regular season... so...?

Ya I dont know, its a good discussion none the less....IF Crosby loses tonight and Toews goes on to win another cup this year, its hard to disagree with this line of thinking....He has proven time and time again, he is a big game player..Including the Olympics....

I dont think its a small sample size..If he leads his team to a third Stanley Cup, its not something we can ignore..And you know as well as anyone its not about goals...ONLY...Ovechkin as we know had a 50 goal year, but thats all he had..Defensively he is one of the worst players in the NHL..Maybe had the worst 50 goal season in history...Maybe an oxymoron but I think you guys get my argument..

Crosby is a great player....Toews is a great player...Its fodder for the media...So we can play along..

JapersRink ‏@JapersRink · 20m

Really looking forward to Dan Bylsma being either an idiot who can't win with Sid or a genius who can win without a bottom-6 after tonight.

• Like 3

I think it's crazy to base "best player" on a team award, but winning Cups certain strengthens ones case.

They're both great. Toews has clearly had more help in Chicago than Crosby in Pittsburgh the last couple years but whatever. I don't care all that much. I would put Crosby number one, followed by some ranking of Malkin, Toews, Stamkos, Kane, Giroux, Getzlaf... I guess. And really, that's ignoring defensemen and goalies.

John, I've been telling you since early April....Rangers....Cup, its a done deal, just sit back and enjoy.

And if the mood strikes you, place some bets so you can cash in a little too.

I kept repeating to myself "Arp knows best" over and over but it is not helping

Nervous as hell

TSN1200 floated the idea that since the 2009 Stanley Cup victory, given that the east has basically only 2 teams - Penguins & Bruins, Pittsburgh has been one of the most disappointing teams in the playoffs. And if they hadn't won that cup* we'd probably lump them with Washington.

* kind of silly what-if because they did but whatever

TSN1200 can go **** themself.