Making Money Playing Pool

thanks for this post. very interesting. 1) do you play APA? if so, are you a SL 7? I'm curious what it takes to be ranked that; no one in my area is. I was curious also because in an interview Nick Shulman says that when he was playing a lot he was one of the 10 best players in NYC. I wonder how good people are in this group.I am a bit of a has been. I played for a living 15 years ago. The tournaments i played were all local and infrequent. I derived 100% of my income from Pool though.2) for cash games, it seems the problem is the same as it is for people very skilled at chess, bridge, backgammon, etc. the best you can do is play with a handicap that is in your favor, but the more you win doing this the greater an edge you have to give your opponentsYes.3) the international poker league mentioned on the previous page is exactly what I was talking about. from the website it seems that they only had one big tourney (efren reyes won 500k) and nothing else besides that. it may just be that the site is not updated or that i'm incompetent at navigating it.4) what is this cue that you speak of? Depends on which one you like. The Samsara is sweet as is the Southwest with reverse points. Also have a couple dishaw, also have a nice Mark Bear.
http://www.billiardsdigest.com/current_iss.../IPTpreview.pdfhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Trudeauafter looking into the internation pool tour a little bit, it appears pretty bad. the guy running it, kevin trudeau, appears on infomercials all the time hawking miracle remedy cures that are obviously a sham. he's also an ex-con, sent to jail for various frauds.the tour itself seems implausible. the cost of running the planned event is 13 million (it seems many have been cancelled) and one of the winners is quoted as indicating that it had been mismanaged. Trudeau also seems delusional saying he's in talks with a 24 hr pool network when there is currently not steady demand for the sport.
I played pool for a living for a couple of years. I played tournaments here and there but mostly I played cash games in bars and pool rooms. The problem in this scenario becomes that once people know your speed you end up having to handicap the games to get a game. It was a lot of fun though.As far as the tournament pool vs snooker thing I dont know that much about it. Those snooker players really do look down on the pool thing though. I was at a christmas party at my business partners house and this one british guy who attended was a snooker player, and was used to crushing any room of average players. He chuckled when my buddy suggested we play. I did not let on that I had ever played more that recreationally. Man I tore him up. He was stunned. BTW if you are looking for a cue that will stand out the next time you go play I may have something for you.
That's the thing about those snooker players. They can't come over here and run the 9ball or 8ball players over, but they think they can. If Efren Reyes (best 9ball player, imo) played Ronnie O'Sullivan (best snooker player, FACT) in a game of 9ball. 10 ahead for $10,000, my money would be on Efren. In fact, if they played snooker it would still be a close match. That's only because Efren is quite possibly the greatest billiards player on this planet.
That's the thing about those snooker players. They can't come over here and run the 9ball or 8ball players over, but they think they can. If Efren Reyes (best 9ball player, imo) played Ronnie O'Sullivan (best snooker player, FACT) in a game of 9ball. 10 ahead for $10,000, my money would be on Efren. In fact, if they played snooker it would still be a close match. That's only because Efren is quite possibly the greatest billiards player on this planet.
I have no clue, who Efren Reyes is, but I once watched a US pool tournament on tv, 9-ball, and some snooker players participated in that (I remember O'Sullivan, and Steve Davis), and they had no chance at all. Sullivan was destroyed by Quinton Hann - who also is a halfway decent snooker player, but nowhere near Sullivans level of play. And apparently that wasn't surprising to anyone who knows anything about pool and snooker. On the other hand, I can guarantee you, that no pool player (who doesn't play snooker as well) would have any kind of chance against any professional snooker player. O'Sullivan could play with his weaker hand and let the pool player make two shots even if he misses the pot every time and he still would have no chance of winning.
people here in uk (like me) enjoy watching snooker, a game of skill. people hate watching pool, a donkeys game, compared to snooker, which needs much much less skill to wintherefore, less money to be made
Im from the UK and I think the opposite of this so don't stereotype us. :club:
I have no clue, who Efren Reyes is, but I once watched a US pool tournament on tv, 9-ball, and some snooker players participated in that (I remember O'Sullivan, and Steve Davis), and they had no chance at all. Sullivan was destroyed by Quinton Hann - who also is a halfway decent snooker player, but nowhere near Sullivans level of play. And apparently that wasn't surprising to anyone who knows anything about pool and snooker. On the other hand, I can guarantee you, that no pool player (who doesn't play snooker as well) would have any kind of chance against any professional snooker player. O'Sullivan could play with his weaker hand and let the pool player make two shots even if he misses the pot every time and he still would have no chance of winning.
You're right about Sullivan, but take my word when I say he would have to try against Reyes. They may have played in the past, I'm not really sure. Haven't followed pool in quite some time. Anyways, try to check out some video online of Reyes (if there is any).
I don't think Efren can beat this level of play in a million years. Ronnie O'SullivanI've been to the Mosconicup a few weeks ago and I had a blast. But I still think if a snookerplayes plays pool, it can be a 50-50 match. And if a poolplayer comes to a snookerpro, the poolplayer has zero chance.Jan
I don't think Efren can beat this level of play in a million years. Ronnie O'SullivanI've been to the Mosconicup a few weeks ago and I had a blast. But I still think if a snookerplayes plays pool, it can be a 50-50 match. And if a poolplayer comes to a snookerpro, the poolplayer has zero chance.Jan
You are underestimating Reyes. Ronnie is the best snooker player alive, but there is no better whole billiards player than Efren. Games that would be close:
  • Snooker
  • Straight Pool

Games that Efren would crush Ronnie in:

• 9ball
  • 8ball
  • One Pocket
  • 3 Cushion Billard
  • any other rotation game

But I still think if a snookerplayes plays pool, it can be a 50-50 match. And if a poolplayer comes to a snookerpro, the poolplayer has zero chance.Jan
The skill level isn't even close getting a pool player in a snooker game would be worse than putting a NLH player in the Horse game.
You are underestimating Reyes. Ronnie is the best snooker player alive, but there is no better whole billiards player than Efren. Games that would be close:
No, no game would be close. Maybe if O'Sullivan did nothing but play pool for a couple years, he could be able to make Reyes sweat a bit (I doubt it though), but Reyes could never beat snooker at the highest level - there are things he just couldn't learn anymore. If he could compete in snooker - he would. Because of the money.
No, no game would be close. Maybe if O'Sullivan did nothing but play pool for a couple years, he could be able to make Reyes sweat a bit (I doubt it though), but Reyes could never beat snooker at the highest level - there are things he just couldn't learn anymore. If he could compete in snooker - he would. Because of the money.
this is a convincing argument. Reyes is known as a very competitive, successful player when money is on the line. He has said in interviews that he doesn't like traveling in Europe much (he prefers the U.S. and presumably the Phillipines) but he would at least turn up for a couple of huge payout events if he could win them. ***btwfor anyone interested in a televised U.S. 8 ball league, you should read the links I posted above. the guy running the International Pool League is the sham artist on tv selling vitamins that "doctors don't want you to know about" that suppposedly cure cancer, this disease, that disease.
Im from the UK and I think the opposite of this so don't stereotype us. :club:
good 4 u. just was saying is all. but, im only basing it on viewing figures. you look at bbc2, snooker is on there all the time. also, eurosport even sky sport. but last time i saw pool on tv here, it was on challenge tv, one show per week or something like that. in general, mind you, this is only in general, people over here prefer watching snooker to pool. just look at the ratings. and i assume the reason for that is because it is more skill based
  • 2 years later...

I played CPA (the Canadian equivalent) for a few years and my team won consecutive trips to Vegas, where we got sandbagged all to hell because of the handicap system, so I'm a little sour on APA/CPA. It was a lot of fun, though, for the most part. Haven't picked up a cue in a couple of years or so.

Haha funny thread. Forgot all about it. Reading my old post makes me think I was a bit presumptious about O'sullivan maybe beating Reyes. Don't really think that would happen. In the 2 years since this thread was started I have seen an interesting match between Corey Duel (?) and Tony Drago playing snooker.Tony drago was always in the higher regions of snooker but always hoovered under the big players. Of course Corey Duel is one of the better players coming from America. After the World Cup Of Pool finished in Rotterdam (The Netherlands) last year, the two of them came to my poolhall to battle it out. First Tony gave Corey 20 point ahead and slaughtered him. Than it went 30 point ahead- 40 points ahead- 50 points ahead and when Corey got 60 points ahead he finally won his first frame. I had to work the next morning but I didn't care going to bed much to late. It was so freaking awesome to see these two players bump heads.Shows a relatively unknown snooker player can beat the living hell out of a good pool player.Jan

Was watching ESPN the other day and they had a silly Trick Shot competition, not really my thing. A very good friend of mine from College was playing and wound up winning the whole thing. I haven't seen him in 20 years. We used to play a ton of poker, pool, and backgammon. He was also an amateur magician. He'd always be working on trick shots even back then. I shot pretty well, but he was always clearly the superior pool player. Very cool to see someone achieve a lifelong dream and be able to reach the highest levels.

Very nice! Were these pool trick shots or 3-rail billiard trick shots?
Pocket Pool It was "ESPN Trick Shot Magic"They set up some elaborate shot often lot's of masse and jump shots going up over and around obstacles on the table (Pool cues, rack, other balls, etc...)
Haha funny thread. Forgot all about it. Reading my old post makes me think I was a bit presumptious about O'sullivan maybe beating Reyes. Don't really think that would happen. In the 2 years since this thread was started I have seen an interesting match between Corey Duel (?) and Tony Drago playing snooker.Tony drago was always in the higher regions of snooker but always hoovered under the big players. Of course Corey Duel is one of the better players coming from America. After the World Cup Of Pool finished in Rotterdam (The Netherlands) last year, the two of them came to my poolhall to battle it out. First Tony gave Corey 20 point ahead and slaughtered him. Than it went 30 point ahead- 40 points ahead- 50 points ahead and when Corey got 60 points ahead he finally won his first frame. I had to work the next morning but I didn't care going to bed much to late. It was so freaking awesome to see these two players bump heads.Shows a relatively unknown snooker player can beat the living hell out of a good pool player.Jan
I would expect Tony to beat Corey all day long on a snooker table but Corey is a mediocre top pro...at one time he was on top, but that i think has since fizzled and he's not really consistantly the top player he was. I might expect Tony to beat Corey on a 9ft as well. There are some 9ball players that have great snooker games that you probably couldn't say that about. I'm sure Reyes puts up a nasty fight on a snooker table, Alex would sooo be able to hang with him too. It's like poker in the sense that there are some very different games, and some people are better at other forms than some of the players....just like most people play NLHE and are phenomenal at it, but if they played razz, they'd be crushed by other pros. Its a specialty. I was watching a pro 8ball tourney a couple weeks ago... honestly, i was saddened by how pathetic some of the pros looked playing the game. They had no concept of mapping a table. In a race to 11 with some sets going fairly deep, there were only 2-3 runouts a match. It was obvious they struggled with patterns and not being able to recognize when a table was too difficult to get out of. I think if most billiard pros put the time in any game, they would have the ability to quickly learn the small details to make them successful, but one player who specializes in one game over another definately has an advantage. But once you have the fundementals, especially if you have a strong base its a matter of honing the specific skill set of another game. 9ball to snooker is much different than snooker to 9ball......Not taking anything away from 9ball, but once you can make balls and play decent shape 9ball is the easiest of the billiard games. It's laid out for you ......shoot the 1, then the 2 and if you know how to get on the next ball, well. The only reason 9 ball is played in NA is because it's fast, and more exciting to the average joe. sorry if none of this made sense....just random thoughts
sorry if none of this made sense....just random thoughts
Yeah you do make sense. By Alex you mean Pagulayan? I think he's got so much natural feel for the sport in general it's freaky. Good point he could be an exelent snooker player.
Yeah you do make sense. By Alex you mean Pagulayan? I think he's got so much natural feel for the sport in general it's freaky. Good point he could be an exelent snooker player.
ya, same alex....i didn't want to attempt spelling that last name. I have a friend who grew up in TO, and used to play alot of snooker. He says that alex used to be seen at the same hall regularly. I'm not sure of his age, but i'm guessing he's a little younger than me, but probably pretty close. Daniel might know the answer to this since he was around that area about the same time.The one thing i don't understand and i really don't think most people realize until you actually stand next to some of these professional pool players is how short most of them are. I'm 5'3" and i have to pull the rest out on a barbox probably once every other game, if i play on a 9' table that increases and on a snooker table, i pretty much walk around the table with the rest. It amazes me that these guys have adapted so well to not using it and still have perfect strokes.i guess that's what separates their game from mine.....or the fact that they are really good and well, i suck.