G3 Heaven

Finally this thread has turned into something interesting.Reminds me that I promised to burn some Petrucci for MDG. I really need to get on that.
A female Petrucci fan?!:: makes a sniverling nerdy boy noise ::I'm in awe and wonder... :-)I'll be honest, though, I've only heard of this G3 thingie ... I've got Vai, Satriani, Dream Theater, LTE, etc. as my "Extremely Musically Talented Awesome Listening Material" of which I listen to DT and LTE on a daily basis.Can someone explain what this G3 is and maybe link video or website about it?
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One instance of Jesus at least not standing up against evil is the lack of clarification he took about slavery. I dont think he said a word about the flourishing practice.
Interestingly, 'slavery' in first century Middle East and Mediteranean Europe was nothing like slavery as we understand it today.Then, young men not fortunate enough to come from wealthy or well established families apprenticed themselves to craftsmen as 'slaves.' They were given all they needed to live, including food, clothing, shelter, and wages. In exchange, they labored for and gave unfailing allegience to their 'masters,' until such time as they had saved enough of their wages to buy their 'freedom.' In terms we are more likely to understand, they were allowed to work off their room and board and pay tuition after the lessons were given. At this time, they were well skilled in a trade and typically in their mid-late twenties. They struck out on their own, establishing their own businesses, marrying, and raising families of their own. In short, it was a way in which the youth without any means or future to speak of were able to provide value to society while gaining marketable skills and a great work ethic, all before they were allowed to marry.So, there's your clarification. Where's the evil?
A female Petrucci fan?!:: makes a sniverling nerdy boy noise ::I'm in awe and wonder... :-)I'll be honest, though, I've only heard of this G3 thingie ... I've got Vai, Satriani, Dream Theater, LTE, etc. as my "Extremely Musically Talented Awesome Listening Material" of which I listen to DT and LTE on a daily basis.Can someone explain what this G3 is and maybe link video or website about it?
Are you kidding me? I would seriously consider having John Petrucci's babies and I don't even like kids.G3 is a tour that Joe Satriani does every year that usually includes Steve Vai and one other guitarist. Some of those 3rd Guitarists (hence G3) have been Eric Johnson, John Petrucci, Yngwie Malmstein, and most currently Paul Gilbert. This year Vai isn't doing the tour but Petrucci has taken over as the 2nd guitarist. They are amazing shows that every guitar fan should see.G3 link

I'm a big fan of exchange of ideas, discussion and not debate. And, as I am not 14 years old, I don't assume someone is attacking me because they disagree with my beliefs. That said:

I want to try to post my thoughts on this, but I hope you don't see this as an outright attack on what you beliefs are, but can see where I'm coming from.So what about the people you were always delighted to not be with, the people who you not only dislike in general, but also dislike because you know they brought out the worse in you? Will they not go to heaven, will you not have to deal with them, will we all just have one attitude about everything so it won't be important?
Dealing with them is of paramount importance and we do. But, when we pass, the only things that go with us are love and knowledge. And, we end up with perfect knowledge of the experience of living here. That person is only love and knowledge, also. If he hasn't enough energy of love, or enough knowledge for growth, he cannot stay on the Other Side. Neither can we. In the presence of God, nothing of the darkness can exist. You will be delighted to see everyone, a little surprised about that, I imagine.
Thats a nice wish, but why is it free from these things. I mean that in the sense that I do believe that at times God suffers. You can see this in Jesus. When his friend dies, he didn't just raise him from the dead, first Jesus cries and grieved for his friend. If God does suffer why should we be spared.
Jesus was human then, as well as God. There is no suffering on the OS, there is nothing bad at all there. Suffering is a function of Time, of dissonance.
If for a hypothetical one of our jobs is to be a guardian spirit for someone. Why would we not be sad if they lose someone, scared if we see the person going the wrong direction, etc. Now it could be indeed completly free from those feelings, but it may not be so.
All I have is an analogy. When my daughter was very small she could not walk. I watched her master this by trying and falling and trying and falling and walking and falling. Lotsa falling. It didn't distress me, this is the only way she can learn - the only way. By doing this, she gained her own goal, to walk, run, and she had a great time doing those things. When people here don't know The Way Things Work, they get all involved in the suffering. But when you know for a fact life is eternal, when you know for a fact love wins in the end and you have as many chances as you need. When you are the one who can walk, who learned and knows the one here must learn also, then you just move the sharp cornered coffee table out of the way and let them fall. Learning to walk here might involve living with a terrible disease, or being very rich. It might be and is, any and every circumstance. To us, subjectively, often a HUGE deal, to our Guides, toddlers learning to walk. They have compassion and care, but not worry or distress. Now, part of this is knowing God has no emotions. Emotions come from the most primitive part of the brain, they are physical manifestations, not spiritual ones. The state of zoe, or perfect joy, is not really an emotion but a state of being - it is God, in a way.
I also question the typical viewpoint of the "you get to Heaven, x occurs and that is it!". Maybe heaven is the final place for you to go on a spiritual journey without the problem of earthly sin in the way. That why I gave my answer because the only thing I am certain of is that God is in Heaven, anything else I do not know.
Then my question for you is: how do you conceive God?
Then my question for you is: how do you conceive God?
I guess I try my best not to conceive what God is as much as the possibility of what God may be, though when you say God I must say my mind goes to the "old man with beard" pictures.I do believe that God is just, merciful, etc. But its not going to be our version of that, its going to be God's version of justice and mercy.I sort of worry that if I conceive too much if I will start dictating to God what God must be and what God must do. I probably a bit of a hypocrite because I do that in other ways, but I try not to.
I sort of worry that if I conceive too much if I will start dictating to God what God must be and what God must do. ....
I think that's very wise, it's why I sometimes say we are all idol worshippers, because any idea we have of God can never really emcompass the ALL of that. But then, it's why I like Hindu gods, they just invented a deity for different aspects of metaphysical power. I think the Japanese ancestor worship might be closer to the truth, though. Of course, that resembles the Catholic perception of Saints and their intervention on our behalf. I love it when a plan comes together!
Are you kidding me? I would seriously consider having John Petrucci's babies and I don't even like kids.G3 is a tour that Joe Satriani does every year that usually includes Steve Vai and one other guitarist. Some of those 3rd Guitarists (hence G3) have been Eric Johnson, John Petrucci, Yngwie Malmstein, and most currently Paul Gilbert. This year Vai isn't doing the tour but Petrucci has taken over as the 2nd guitarist. They are amazing shows that every guitar fan should see.G3 link
OMG a fellow Yngwie fan, too, possibly? I think I'm in love..... Michael Angelo as well, maybe, possibly, kinda sorta?It's sad to say that I haven't heard of Paul Gilbert or Eric Johnson (God I'm such a failure to music :club: )Thanks for the link!For you noobs who need to be in the know :D :DMichael Angelo Double Guitar SoloFor the people that consider themselves orchestra buffs, this is Yngwie Malmsteen as part of his Concerto Suite debut performance.And for you rock guitar lovers (although this is a progressive metal group... this song is very rock :D ), guitar god not from this planet, John Petrucci. (yes, the instrument the bald fellow is playing is a bass guitar)
OMG a fellow Yngwie fan, too, possibly? I think I'm in love..... Michael Angelo as well, maybe, possibly, kinda sorta?It's sad to say that I haven't heard of Paul Gilbert or Eric Johnson (God I'm such a failure to music :club: )Thanks for the link!For you noobs who need to be in the know :D :DMichael Angelo Double Guitar SoloFor the people that consider themselves orchestra buffs, this is Yngwie Malmsteen as part of his Concerto Suite debut performance.And for you rock guitar lovers (although this is a progressive metal group... this song is very rock :D ), guitar god not from this planet, John Petrucci. (yes, the instrument the bald fellow is playing is a bass guitar)
I like Yngwie. He's not my favorite but I enjoyed the G3 tour I saw with him. AND OMG! *SQUEAL* You're like only the 3rd person I've ever spoken to who knows who Michael Angelo is! That guy is amazing. His brain is wired differently than the rest of ours.What about Michael Harris? Do you know Michael Harris? Michael Harris GuitarEric Johnson is a Stevie Ray Vaughn protege. His music is really bluesy. Eric JohnsonPaul Gilbert I don't know much about either.
I like Yngwie. He's not my favorite but I enjoyed the G3 tour I saw with him. AND OMG! *SQUEAL* You're like only the 3rd person I've ever spoken to who knows who Michael Angelo is! That guy is amazing. His brain is wired differently than the rest of ours.What about Michael Harris? Do you know Michael Harris? Michael Harris GuitarEric Johnson is a Stevie Ray Vaughn protege. His music is really bluesy. Eric JohnsonPaul Gilbert I don't know much about either.
While I don't share your taste in masturbatory guitarists, I find it extraordinarily hot that you like them. I had a couple Satriani albums as a kid. I liked "the extremist" quiet a bit at the time. I also had a god awful Malmsteen album.
While I don't share your taste in masturbatory guitarists, I find it extraordinarily hot that you like them. I had a couple Satriani albums as a kid. I liked "the extremist" quiet a bit at the time. I also had a god awful Malmsteen album.
Why is everything I like masturbatory? I think you just like me and masturbatory in the same sentence. :DDon't make me force you to listen to Satriani's Crystal Planet. It'll only hurt the first time.
Why is everything I like masturbatory? I think you just like me and masturbatory in the same sentence. :DDon't make me force you to listen to Satriani's Crystal Planet. It'll only hurt the first time.
Only hurt the first time? you know that's not how I roll. Green.
I haven't heard of Michael Harris, but I loved the music on his MySpace site. Time to hit up SoulSeek and download every CD and song I can find :club:/agree on the Eric Johnson comment after checking out some of the songs on his site. The only difference in that style to my typical love of prog metal is that I can't STAND the rhythm of the old percussion. It is so insanely repetitive with old beats and never-changing time signatures for looongg songs. I guess I've been spoiled to the ways of musical metal before being learned in the ways of Double Trouble :(My evolution went more from mainstream rock to artists I learned about in Music History class (Bach, Handel, Mozart, Romantic Era) to a personal discovery of Chopin to a friend's introduction to Dream Theater and expanded from there to all different kinds of metal, alternative rock, etc. etc. of which I finally own a 200gb hard drive worth of music that I've, finally, almost heard everything I have.I <3 extremely confusing run-on sentences.Point being, I was, sadly, not very well versed on many of the older popular guitarists that really made their marks on the music scene. I mean... I've got the typical Zeppelin, Hendrix, Floyd, Johnny Cash, etc. (the ultra-popular that EVERYONE knows about), but nothing else that was really too significant.
I also had a god awful Malmsteen album.
i hope you aren't talking about anything he did in the '80s : ) his albums with steeler & alcatrazz + the first 3 rising force may be up and down, but all have multiple moments of musical genius that transcend the "masturbatory" (serenade, hiroshima mon amour, kree nakoorie, evil eye, icarus dream suite etc.)in '85 (yes i'm old) i saw rising force headlining a small club, standing next to the stage with yngwie a few feet away. my friend next to me touched him and his strat several times while he was playing.
I <3 extremely confusing run-on sentences.Point being, I was, sadly, not very well versed on many of the older popular guitarists that really made their marks on the music scene. I mean... I've got the typical Zeppelin, Hendrix, Floyd, Johnny Cash, etc. (the ultra-popular that EVERYONE knows about), but nothing else that was really too significant.
<3 michael schenker & john sykes

Teacchhh meeeeeee the ways of the ollldddd, oh wise ones!I want to know what amazing areas I should discover from the 80s and 90s that I know nothing about!