I Turned "pro" Today

hey, GL.a few things\180 is a horrible day for a pro player. 180 for a part timer is good, for someone living off the game, its poop, why? cuz you have down swings, so there are days, or weeks where u wont make much at all, and thats why your bragging days need to be that much higher.if u are bragging about 180, you need to re-exam your choice.also, whoever questioned living comfortably off 4,800 a month, yes thats a good salary.thats above average by a fair bit. Not everyone lives in major cities with high rent.
i have two things that i'll add that may or may not be worthwhile to this conversation.a: when i was plaing a lot i made 5k in rake a month.b: best day in my life 41k worst day 27kc: i think op was trying to say he wanted to stop with a modest gain today to make sure he didn't end up starting his pro career on a down.and i can totally see that side of it just don't get in the habit of taking modest gains when you are running good. when i feel like i'm running good it's just another edge i feel like i need to take advantage of, if i'm running bad and/or playing bad then i'm much more inclined to stop after only winning modestly. my cents
  • Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't need to book huge wins and losses to be a "pro", lots of average days add up :club: If $180 is an average day that still works out to the same wage that someone working 8 hours at $22.50/hr makes.I've been toying with the idea of playing for a living as well. I just finished school, haven't gotten a job yet but play very often and do well. I don't count it as playing for a living since I am at home still, paying next to nothing for rent/food. My biggest issue has been not putting in enough tables hours. Since about May I've averaged about $25/hr playing lower fixed limit holdem and PLO (including rakeback), but I only book about 40-70 hours a month. Liveable if I could play a full 6-8 hours a day on average while still playing my B+/A game and not burning myself out.GL OP, keep us updated.
You failed to put his post in collaboration with mine. The dude stated winning 180 for a few hours today as a good day.This comes off as a semi brag type post, saying that he won the 180 today.I've lost more in 1 hand and i'm no where near turning pro.P.S. dont play for a living, you'll get killed.
i have two things that i'll add that may or may not be worthwhile to this conversation.a: when i was plaing a lot i made 5k in rake a month.b: best day in my life 41k worst day 27kc: i think op was trying to say he wanted to stop with a modest gain today to make sure he didn't end up starting his pro career on a down.and i can totally see that side of it just don't get in the habit of taking modest gains when you are running good. when i feel like i'm running good it's just another edge i feel like i need to take advantage of, if i'm running bad and/or playing bad then i'm much more inclined to stop after only winning modestly. my cents
Ideally, how well you're running shouldnt have much (if any) influence on your decisions.And i think if you've been playing at a level long enough and made enough, you tend to stop sweating over the small things.But you play higher than me by quite a bit. I dont know that i'd ever get really used to throwing around thousands of dollars.
wait wait, Your worst day so far since turning pro is 27k?you have yet to have a losing session?do you have software? wtf chucky I dont think i'm alone when i question wtf is up, if all is true, you're making millions in 3 months of turning pro?
wait wait, Your worst day so far since turning pro is 27k?you have yet to have a losing session?do you have software? wtf chucky I dont think i'm alone when i question wtf is up, if all is true, you're making millions in 3 months of turning pro?
obv he means -27k.
He clearly meant down 27k.Maybe it's clear that you knew that and were joking around and im a dumbass.Or maybe I know you know and im just giving you a hard time!Who knows.
lolroyal my worst day is 27 going the otherway. i have plenty of bad days
I know retards, He just didnt put the " - " so i was giving him a hard time, if his worst day was up 27k, i think he would of quit by now and retired at 28? or 29? 30 yet?
obv he means -27k.
and i do think running good is an edge. it's an untangible and defintely part psycholgoical but i consider it alot. not in decision making as far as wheter to call or fold only wheter or not to play or just do sometghing else.
and i do think running good is an edge. it's an untangible and defintely part psycholgoical but i consider it alot. not in decision making as far as wheter to call or fold only wheter or not to play or just do sometghing else.
Mathematically and statistically, it is not. Each hand is an independent event, with the except of something like meta-game implications. Nonetheless, I know where you are coming from.
what kinda limits/# of tables do you have to play to earn 5k a month in rake back? Where you makeing more in rakeback or at the table? What sucks more tourney grind or cash game (not in $ wise, but in thorwing your computer against the wall-wise)?

I play more when im losing, if anything.Not in a bad way. I just want to book a win, so i play more to try and bump it out of the red.I dont think i play differently though.

what kinda limits/# of tables do you have to play to earn 5k a month in rake back? Where you makeing more in rakeback or at the table?
I think at 5/10 limit or 2/4 NL you can pull in those kinds of numbers in rakeback. It probably takes something in the area of 40k hands a month.Im assuming you're getting 28-32% rakeback.
Mathematically and statistically, it is not. Each hand is an independent event, with the except of something like meta-game implications. Nonetheless, I know where you are coming from.
thus the word intangible. but this isn't limit poker. psychology, balls, quantam physics, and the green power bar at the bottom of the scream being fully charged so that combo moves can be executed with more power, effenciency and overall sweetness. things smash would have never understood.p.s. erik what is a stop loss and do you know where i can get one. you should see what my worst week looks like. my bankroll looks like a ****ing a guy bungee jumping out of an airplane if you graphed it. p.s.s. erik i love plo now.
you should see what my worst week looks like. my bankroll looks like a ****ing a guy bungee jumping out of an airplane if you graphed it.
i'm pretty sure a bunch of that happened when i was at your place for a few weeks, i'm just straight up bad luck to myself and others.
i'm pretty sure a bunch of that happened when i was at your place for a few weeks, i'm just straight up bad luck to myself and others.
that was probalby in my top 3 or 4 bad weeks. magically i think i won it all back in like 15 mintues after you left.

GL op, live the dream.I hope you reach your goals and don't have to go back to running a video store or card trading.Make all us dreamers ambitious and FT the ME next year or something... and tell me how to get the girl I want, I forget how to do these things."here's to being drunk at 5am, when I started at 3am."

hey ive been playing "pro" for the last year and ive done well but its not something that i would want to continue. The ups are great but hwne you have a bad month you can really struggle paying the bill. Im starting my new job in two weeks and im glad.... I was averaging about 1k a week but when you have your bad weeks that seem to never end you will second guess yourself.... my advice is to do this for at the most a year and try to get another job. You cant live on poker for you whole life so go out and get a real job and play poker for fun.

I've been playing full time for 6 months, but the reason I can do that is I live in pretty much the cheapest country in the world (where people arent trying to kill u... except the ones that know me anyway).I average $1500 a month... not week.. month.. I know that's pathetic, but I play 4 hours a day on avg and that kind of money goes a long way here in Bali, Indonesia.For me it's a lifestyle choice, I get to be home with my two kids and not work too hard... If I wanted to earn serious money I simply couldn't do it at poker, I'd have to find a real job.Hence my only income is poker, but I don't consider myself a pro as 1) I'm not that good and 2) I don't earn much money.My advice for the OP is this. If you plan to work more than 5-6 hours a day I think you'll burnout. Perhaps not in a week or a month, but month in month out too many hours simply grinds you down. You lose perspective and your A game is a distant memory.. then you start making less.. working harder.. etc.. Plan to work reasonable hours if you want to last more than 3 months. cheersTosr

hey, GL.a few things\180 is a horrible day for a pro player. 180 for a part timer is good, for someone living off the game, its poop, why? cuz you have down swings, so there are days, or weeks where u wont make much at all, and thats why your bragging days need to be that much higher.if u are bragging about 180, you need to re-exam your choice.also, whoever questioned living comfortably off 4,800 a month, yes thats a good salary.thats above average by a fair bit. Not everyone lives in major cities with high rent.
It is a great salary. It's crap when you have to split it between buffing up your bank roll and paying yourself.