Cosmo Kramer

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this could be a train wreck.
And it was, I just watched it on letterman. Oh my god...that my friends was television history.
It was Carson who used to say that.
Holy shit I suck...

i saw it and didnt think it was that much of a train wreck, considering what he had to do and who he had to face. he said all that needed to be said, albeit awkwardly, but i think thats about the best he could do.

I'm not sure what I think of Dave for cracking jokes about the incident in the monologue. He knew Mike would be apologizing on national TV in front of this same audience later in the show. They were primed and ready to laugh at Mike, and did a few times while he was struggling to express his remorse. I honestly thought it might have been some kind of Andy Kaufman-esque joke. I was expecting him to start laughing mid-apology, but I realized it wasn't a prank when Seinfeld told the audience to stop laughing.

i saw it and didnt think it was that much of a train wreck, considering what he had to do and who he had to face. he said all that needed to be said, albeit awkwardly, but i think thats about the best he could do.
Are you kidding??? Half the time he couldn't even get his words out. There was a full thirty seconds while he struggled to get out a halfway coherent sentence, and in the end, he failed! That was seriously 10 of the most awkward minutes ever put on TV
I'm not sure what I think of Dave for cracking jokes about the incident in the monologue. He knew Mike would be apologizing on national TV in front of this same audience later in the show. They were primed and ready to laugh at Mike, and did a few times while he was struggling to express his remorse. I honestly thought it might have been some kind of Andy Kaufman-esque joke. I was expecting him to start laughing mid-apology, but I realized it wasn't a prank when Seinfeld told the audience to stop laughing.
Yeah, but you could tell by just how uncomfortable Michael Richards looked that this wasn't going to be a joke. It was serious, it was insane, and he was scared shitless. He knows his career is dead now and I sincerely doubt there's very little, if any, hope of reviving it.
That was seriously 10 of the most awkward minutes ever put on TVYeah, but you could tell by just how uncomfortable Michael Richards looked that this wasn't going to be a joke. It was serious, it was insane, and he was scared shitless. He knows his career is dead now and I sincerely doubt there's very little, if any, hope of reviving it.
i totally agree - something you guys may want to note since you mentioned Kauffman - was that Michael Richards was in the Friday's sketch where Andy Kauffman broke character and refused to do the sketch. My understanding of that prank by Kauffman was that Richards didn't find it funny and got upset that Kauffman did it. This whole thing is too weird - i've spent hours trying to figure out what could have happened to him and have nothing - It's as if Mel Gibson was sober and on stage when he did what he didBeing onstage though can be a kind of getting high add in a little anger and who knows?
what Kauffman sketch are you talking about? Not familiar, care to give the story?
kauffman was hosting Fridays which was ABC's Saturday Night Livehe was supposed to do a sketch where he was high and then without telling anyone on live tv just said I don't want to be in this sketch i can't do it - and started a big ruckusthe next week he did a fake apology telling people it was a joke - but did the apology in a way you knew he wasn't sorryMichael Richards was in the sketch and acted like he was pissed - i'm not sure whether he knew about it before hand = probably not - as it was happening he acted really angry at Kauffman hijacking the show - but if he was in on it - that too changed things - I'm pretty sure he wasn't and was angryhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1wip6a2fMQ
WOW! That was difficult to watch. More difficult than the actual incident. Personally I really do think that outbursts like this and Mel Gibson's are nothing. These are people in high pressure situations just spewing junk. People say anything when they fly off the handle. Everyone's done it and its just unfortunate that these guys went down the 'race road'.

Watching that was like seeing a mother dragging her shoplifting child back to the store he stole from and making him apologize to the manager. Richards looked like a beaten puppy, kind of sad to watch.

i thought it was a great video. That had to be fricking impossible to do and I respect his courage to do that. I dont think his career is over and I dont think he is a racist. He has definitely hurt himself/career and this will never be forgotten, always will be a footnote no matter what he does. I agree that I believe he tried to make it funny and kept digging deeper and deeper until he got to the point where there was no way out. I forgive ya Cosmo, good first steps.
what Kauffman sketch are you talking about? Not familiar, care to give the story?
I wasn't referring to any specific one, although what keith brings up seems like a close match. Andy was notorious for doing things as a joke, specifically to get an audience angry and unhappy with him.
I wasn't referring to any specific one, although what keith brings up seems like a close match. Andy was notorious for doing things as a joke, specifically to get an audience angry and unhappy with him.
he had a whole character made up for just that purpose, fat suit, wig, makeup and all.:keithcrime will now pop in and give the name of said character:
he had a whole character made up for just that purpose, fat suit, wig, makeup and all.:keithcrime will now pop in and give the name of said character:
tony clifton but that's not what the fridays skit wasit was a regular sketch in which andy just decided to break character and refuse to do it as a joke on the audience and the other members of the casti've kind of decided that Richards just got frustrated and mad and the only thing he could think of to lash back at the guys was racist stuffhe probably knew he didn't have anything he could say to change their minds and that's all he hadi don't expect him of def comedy jam any time soonalthough maybe he and jeff foxworthy could try to resurrect his career together
tony clifton but that's not what the fridays skit wasit was a regular sketch in which andy just decided to break character and refuse to do it as a joke on the audience and the other members of the cast
I know what you meant, I was just looking for the Tony Clifton name. and Kaufman doing that to the other comedians during a sketch show isn't funny, its just pretentious. Basically saying "I'm too good for this sketch, so I'm gonna derail it"I think
I know what you meant, I was just looking for the Tony Clifton name. and Kaufman doing that to the other comedians during a sketch show isn't funny, its just pretentious. Basically saying "I'm too good for this sketch, so I'm gonna derail it"I think
well that would be the argument of the people that got mad at himhe was just trying to cause chaos and enjoy it - he was saying he was too good for the sketch and that he hated the sketch and thus destroying ithe hated regular entertainment and tried to sabotage itor he was just a jerk - probably both GEORGE So you've got this big elaborate joke, which is really only funny to two people in the universe. (dry) You... and you. ZMUDA Sure! But WE think it's kickass!
No, no, no, Kathleen Robertson *and* her vagina went to Ouch's school, he already won the thread.
Ya you are right...unless someone has a famous boobi story from highschool.Horaay for boobies.-Bear
i thought it was a great video. That had to be fricking impossible to do and I respect his courage to do that. I dont think his career is over and I dont think he is a racist. He has definitely hurt himself/career and this will never be forgotten, always will be a footnote no matter what he does. I agree that I believe he tried to make it funny and kept digging deeper and deeper until he got to the point where there was no way out. I forgive ya Cosmo, good first steps.
I pretty much agree with that.I also think people in the general public react way too strongly to things that celebrities do. Like normal people don't just fly off the handle every day or something. It happens constantly... just because you know who this person is, suddenly it's the end of the world, and it has to cause some commentary on the state of whatever.To be honest... I can see myself losing it like this (Not that I have, or neccisarily ever will).... But what I mean, is that I think that it's within me. And not because I'm a racist whatsoever..... Moreso because I hate that people are so offended by stereotypes and I like to defy that a bit. I have a pretty strong feeling that the world is way too uptight about almost everything, and I can see myself, under a lot of stress, possibly flip out and just spit in the face of everyone by doing the one thing that i'm completely supposed to avoid doing. (Such as what happened to Michael).Just giving another view, not saying this is what happened, but if something like this ever happened to me, it would probably be because of something like that.
Just giving another view, not saying this is what happened, but if something like this ever happened to me, it would probably be because of something like that.
well but you're career doesn't depend on strangers liking you - his unfortunately for him doesif andrew dice clay said it - well he's andrew dice clay
well but you're career doesn't depend on strangers liking you - his unfortunately for him doesif andrew dice clay said it - well he's andrew dice clay
my self esteem is based on strangers liking me.or, as Katt Williams says."Its called self esteem. Its the steem of yo motherfcking self. How can I fuck up how you feel about you, simple bitch."It really has no relevance here, I just wanted to use that line.Towards the middle, you could see Michael Richards try to play it off as "just words" or something along those lines, but nobody was buying it.