Official Offseason Thread

Manny is indeed a special player. I question how important the "protection for Ortiz" thing is. Without Manny in the lineup last year, Ortiz's numbers were actually better. He will walk more, but getting on base is a good thing so long as there are competant hitters behind him. Drew would help. Obviously, he wouldn't make up for Manny's bat being gone, but it's a good start.If say it's Gonzalez and Peavy for Ramirez, you have to do it. A young, cost-controlled #1 starter and a very good 24-year old first baseman would be a sick deal if we could pull it off. And if no money changes hands? Wow. I have trouble believing that could possibly be an option. In that scenario, the Sox would come out ahead and that's what it's all about. I just hope that the Sox's measure for coming out ahead is not too much lower than mine. They seem really eager to move him. I just hope they're only so eager because they believe they can get a whole lot in return for him and not because they can finally find a team willing to take him for 60 cents on the dollar. Should they get Peavy (a longshot, I feel), imagine the rotation in 2-3 years: Matsuzaka, Peavy, Beckett, Papelbon, and Lester all hitting their primes at once, with Bard and Bucholtz about to enter theirs. I'm going to have trouble sleeping now...
Well said. By the way, did you see the story about Jeff Reardon in last week's Globe? Really good story, sad for sure. I meant to post the link before, but forgot. Anyway in it he mentions that he thinks Papelbon should close, but maybe that's just his closer's pride...http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/reds.../toughest_save/Even without Peavy, that's a pretty nice looking rotation. If we sign Matsuzaka it'll be Schilling, Daisuke, Papelbon, Wakefield, Beckett this season I guess. Pretty solid, especially if Papelbon lives up to expectations even sort of (I personally expect him to go 22-7 with a 2.79 ERA :club: ).And apparently the Sox are close to signing Hideki Okajima, LH reliever who was on the Yomiuri Giants for like 8 seasons, and in 2006 played for the Hokkaido Nippon Ham Fighters. The HAM FIGHTERS.Somewhat related - I thought this was hilarious. http://www.sethmnookin.com/blog/2006/11/29/
  • Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Drew expected to sign within the week. Any chance we land Gagne? I woulnd't mind it...Dodgers reportedly offered up Andy LaRoche and Jonathon Broxton for Manny and were turned down. If there was ever a sign that Manny will be at Fenway next year, that's probably it.

Drew expected to sign within the week. Any chance we land Gagne? I woulnd't mind it...Dodgers reportedly offered up Andy LaRoche and Jonathon Broxton for Manny and were turned down. If there was ever a sign that Manny will be at Fenway next year, that's probably it.
I'm happy with this development. It shows that they want full value for Manny and are not simply trying to dump him. I like how the worst case scenario has one of the ten best right handed hitters ever batting cleanup next year.

The Red Sox are asking WAY too much for Manny. Reports out of the winter meetings say that Boston wanted 3 of the Dodgers top 5 prospects for him. Manny is a good hitter, but his HR numbers will definitely dip if he were to play his home games in the cavern that is Dodger Stadium.

The Red Sox are asking WAY too much for Manny. Reports out of the winter meetings say that Boston wanted 3 of the Dodgers top 5 prospects for him. Manny is a good hitter, but his HR numbers will definitely dip if he were to play his home games in the cavern that is Dodger Stadium.
Maybe slightly. Manny hits for power equally well to the opposite field, and Fenway is deep in right and right center. He'd still hit 30-40 hr in LA. Also, remember that the Wall giveth and the Wall taketh away. A lot of line drive singles or doubles off the wall would be gone in other parks.

Getting rid of Manny would be a mistake. I don't think there's anybody who hits the Yanks better than him. The Red Sox will now have a pretty solid rotation, but this bullpen is terrible. Some good news for the Red Sox is Jon Lester is nearly cancer free. I'm rooting hard for his return and hopefully he'll be able to stink it up on the mound once again this year.

Getting rid of Manny would be a mistake. I don't think there's anybody who hits the Yanks better than him. The Red Sox will now have a pretty solid rotation, but this bullpen is terrible. Some good news for the Red Sox is Jon Lester is nearly cancer free. I'm rooting hard for his return and hopefully he'll be able to stink it up on the mound once again this year.
Yeah, I heard that on the radio. They said he is being taken off of chemo and will be ready for Spring Training. Cancer is no laughing matter and it runs in my family. I am definitely rooting for him.
I'm rooting hard for his return and hopefully he'll be able to stink it up on the mound once again this year.
Nice to hear that you're rooting for him to get better, but uh he went 7-2 as a rookie last year, he certainly didnt "stink it up."
he didn't "stink it up" but he didn't light the world on fire. 4.76 and 1.65 WHIP aint anything to write home to mom about. But it is decent considering he was a rookie and only pitched 100 innings.
And did it with cancer. I bet the cancer-free Lester is even better.This is good surprising news. I had already written him off for 2007. Also: Drew is a done deal. 5/70, with the fifth year incentive based, capping at 14 million.
I think it's less that the Red Sox are asking too much for Manny, and more that it wouldn't be the best match of teams involved. My initial reaction is that his home run numbers wouldn't drop all that much. I agree with Tim that the wall robs him of a lot of home runs and Manny's natural power predisposition is to go to right-center field. Fenway doesn't help much with that. Even if they do drop, he'll still be wildly productive.

Good news on Lugo, Drew I'm not so sure about. In other news, Maddux signed a 1 year deal for $10m with the Padres. IMO that is a retardedly big contract for an over-the-hill hall of famer.

Nice to hear that you're rooting for him to get better, but uh he went 7-2 as a rookie last year, he certainly didnt "stink it up."
He certainly stunk it up against the Yankees last year. However, there weren't too many Red Sox pitchers who didn't.
Good news on Lugo, Drew I'm not so sure about. In other news, Maddux signed a 1 year deal for $10m with the Padres. IMO that is a retardedly big contract for an over-the-hill hall of famer.
This is ridiculous... JD Drew for 5yr/70 million. :club:
Not to mention an incentive based option for a 2nd year that gets him another 10 if he pitches 180 innings.

I liken JD Drew to the girl that looks good when she decides to get dressed up and throw on some makeup and go out but instead she'd much rather sit on the couch in sweatpants eating large bowls of popcorn watching Felicity reruns while demanding things like soy milk. She's great to go out with once in awhile when she's in the mood to give you action but you wouldn't commit 5 years like Boston did. I told the Sports guy this, this morning.

how desperate are the Red Sox? Drew for 70 million. I hope he plays well for the 35 games hes healthy for. :club:
Desperate? Please. He's one of the better signings of the offseason.
Desperate? Please. He's one of the better signings of the offseason.
It's true, Drew's contract looks like a steal compared to what Soriano and Carlos Lee got, I just think it's ridiculous that they'd give Drew a contract like this while Damon couldn't get anywhere near that from the Sox last year, and Damon >>>>>>>>> Drew.
It's true, Drew's contract looks like a steal compared to what Soriano and Carlos Lee got, I just think it's ridiculous that they'd give Drew a contract like this while Damon couldn't get anywhere near that from the Sox last year, and Damon >>>>>>>>> Drew.
Heh....you had me until you suggested that Damon was in any way better than Drew. Fielding bible has J. D. as the third best defensive right fielder in baseball, only behind Ichiro and Rios. Damon is unspectacular. He gets great jumps on balls, but has a notoriously bad arm.Offense is cut and dried:Drew: 133 OPS+ 7.25 RC/27 (career)Damon: 104 OPS+ 5.57 RC/27Damon narrows the gap in value when you consider his durability, but not enough to make him more cost-effective at just 1 million/year less. This is especially true when you consider that Damon is more likely to decline based on age and skillset and by the end of his contract, he'll have to move from center where he'll be a liability. When you consider the markets, it's even more of a no-brainer.And that's IF we could have signed him for what the Yankees got him for. As I understand it, Boras told the Sox it's 6/72 or don't even bother to make an offer.EDIT: Bill James handbook, not Fielding Bible
Drew > Damon
Fair enough, I really haven't seen Drew play much. However, Damon is one of the game's absolute top leadoff hitters, whereas Drew seems like a solid #5 or 6....in other words - replaceable.edit: #5 or 6 in the AL. I'm sure in the NL he could be a strong 3 or 4 hitter.
Fair enough, I really haven't seen Drew play much. However, Damon is one of the game's absolute top leadoff hitters, whereas Drew seems like a solid #5 or 6....in other words - replaceable.edit: #5 or 6 in the AL. I'm sure in the NL he could be a strong 3 or 4 hitter.
Yet Drew would outperform Damon from the leadoff spot. He's got a 40 point edge in OBP. That's pretty significant.
Yet Drew would outperform Damon from the leadoff spot. He's got a 40 point edge in OBP. That's pretty significant.
you do realize that Drew will be hurt before the end May. right? He cant stay healthy.
you do realize that Drew will be hurt before the end May. right? He cant stay healthy.
In the last few seasons, he's only missed serious playing time because he broke his wrist getting hit by pitch (this happened twice). This is not a chronic injury. I don't think he'll play 162 games, but he should be very productive for the 130 he does play. With 4 solid outfielders, missing 30 games wouldn't be a big problem.