Blackjack Tournament Strategy Information

(So as this is not exactly poker-related, if I am incorrect in posting this here, mods please move this)While I was in Vegas earlier this summer, at the Hilton they had this promotion at the blackjack tables where if you get a suited blackjack, you get an entry into a blackjack tournament in November. So I got that suited blackjack (yay me!) and now I am wondering if anyone on here knows a good website to go to in order to find strategy for these types of tournaments (I know stuff has been posted here about online blackjack so hopefully we have some blackjack experts here). I mean, I know basic strategy and all for the table game version, but of course in a tournament setting, like in poker, I would imagine the strategy would change. I also typed "blackjack strategy" into google, but google could send me anywhere, so I was hoping someone from FCP could guide my search a little bit.Thanks for your help, and if anyone else qualified for this, I'll see you in Vegas November 19-21!

A wise man once told me:Don't play blackjack.
Well, since the tournament is free I'll take my chances.Besides, on that trip, I needed my blackjack winnings to cancel out my losses at the poker table (now there is a phrase that belongs in the "you know you're playing a fish..." thread) :club:

If you get game show network, they often show episodes of the world series of blackjack. You could watch and try to learn. Also I'm positive there are books out there on tournament blackjack strategy, so try checking out any bookstores near you.

If you get game show network, they often show episodes of the world series of blackjack. You could watch and try to learn. Also I'm positive there are books out there on tournament blackjack strategy, so try checking out any bookstores near you.
all in magainzine last month had a whole thing about BJ tourneaments. I dont remember if it had strategy or not

This isn't really a complete strategy but one decent suggestion I read is, when you are the last to bet, bet 1/3 of your remaining chips. If you win that bet, let both the original bet and the winnings ride. If you win both hands you've doubled up and if you lose either you're generally not that poorly off.Example: You have $30,000 and are last to act.Hand 1 - You wager $10,000 and win.Hand 2 - You wager $20,000 and win. If all goes as planned you'll have $60,000 and have doubled up without risking your whole stack on one hand. This is good because you never want to be all in and get something like a pair of 8s.Also be mindful that just betting and beating the dealer doesn't win you tournaments. If the only way you can come out ahead of the other guy on the hand is to double down 18 against a dealer 6 and get rediculously lucky then you have to do it. Standing and winning the hand but losing the tournament doesn't do you a lick of good.Also, insurance can be a viable option for the same reason in tournament blackjack.Other tips:Betting big when acting early with the intention of inducing other large bets and then planning to surrender unfavourable hands can be an effective way of forcing opponents to wager more than they would have otherwise (and can sometimes save you on an elimination hand if the tournament has periodic elimination hands).Consider doubling a blackjack if you've got a big bet out there and the dealer is showing a 5 or 6.Always keep in mind that you're playing against the players, not the house. Sometimes you want the dealer to beat you because it's worse for the other players.

there are lots of books out there. blackjack tournaments are more like poker tournaments than playing blackjack straight. with good strategy, they can be +EV (unlike regular blackjack).if you're interested, grab a book or two, and you'll probably immediately have a small advantage over opponents in low-stakes tournaments.

Here is Ken Smith's website. He's got a trainer on there to get you going as well.http://www.blackjackinfo.com/Ken was a finalist in this years World Series of Blackjack as well as several other top tourney's over the past 10+ years.Tourney blackjack is you against the other players and NOT you against the dealer. You still have to beat the dealers hand but your outcome against the other players is what your interested in. You'll do weird things like splitting tens and hitting 17's in tourney blackjack that you wouldn't do otherwise.

play elimination black jack on UB. It should be a good way to practice. You can try some different strategies and get an idea of the play.gl to ya, and have fun.

Here is Ken Smith's website. He's got a trainer on there to get you going as well.http://www.blackjackinfo.com/
Great advice!That's one of the best blackjack strategy sites out there and also features a very nice and detailed article on tournament play.Additionally, you might want to check out the following sites:http://www.blackjacktournaments.comhttp://www.bj21.comhttp://www.wizardofodds.com
I am almost positive that the tournament blackjack equivalent to supersystem was written by a guy named stanford wong. so check that out too.
True.Most people refer to Wang's work as some kind of "blackjack bible", so if you're really serious about playing, check his books out.Hope my post helped a little.
  • 2 weeks later...
all in magainzine last month had a whole thing about BJ tournaments. I dont remember if it had strategy or not
Hmm, BJ tourneys? Sign me up. Either way - receiving, giving, whatevs.