Official 2006 World Series Thread

Who will win it all?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Cards or Tigers

• Cardinals
    • Tigers

You were there? Cool, what do you do for the MLB?
I dont need to be there or work for MLB to know pine tar when I see it. But apparently its okay for pitchers to use pine tar, they just arent supposed to be so obvious. Rogers ruined it for everyone. So I guess if everyone is doing it, then that would explain La Russa's response to the situation.The whole thing makes me mad. Its just like steroids. MLB knows about the pine tar and they knew about the steroids. Hows about doing something before it gets out of hand. Bud Selig should be ashamed, for so many things, this pine tar incident included.
  • Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this is a little different than the Bonds thing....they have several people involved with him that have been convicted of steroids-related offenses, he admits he might've taken something unknowingly, etc.If we heard him say: "Well, I didn't know it at the time, I thought it was just vitamin spread, but it might've been pine tar" then I think we can line him up with Barry. J/s. It looks like he had pine tar and was cheating, but we can't prove it and we dont' even have any corroboration.

The problem with this issue is that it is a very blurry line between cheating and not cheating. Pitchers don't use Pine Tar every game during the regular season. They only usually use it in cold weather to hold on to the ball better and have the same ability to throw that they would in warm weather. LaRussa doesn't think it's cheating. Peter Gammons and John Kruk both said that if Kenny Rogers had Pine Tar, there's no way he's the only pitcher this postseason who used Pine Tar or some other substance. The hitters said the ball didn't do anything different than normal, he simply could grip the ball. Pine tar doesn't allow him to pinpoint his pitches any differently than he normally could. I think this whole thing should just be put to bed and we should move on to Game 3.

Baseball is rigged.... steroids, corked bats, pine tar, whatever. Anybody who gets caught cheating in any sport should get banned in my opinion... I'm just jealous of millionaires and think they should actually get in trouble when they do something wrong. I don't care if all the pitchers have been doing it... that doesnt make it right. That's just like saying everybody is doing steroids I have to take them to keep up with the others.

Baseball is rigged.... steroids, corked bats, pine tar, whatever. Anybody who gets caught cheating in any sport should get banned in my opinion... I'm just jealous of millionaires and think they should actually get in trouble when they do something wrong. I don't care if all the pitchers have been doing it... that doesnt make it right. That's just like saying everybody is doing steroids I have to take them to keep up with the others.
LOL
If we heard him say: "Well, I didn't know it at the time, I thought it was just vitamin spread, but it might've been pine tar" then I think we can line him up with Barry. J/s. It looks like he had pine tar and was cheating, but we can't prove it and we dont' even have any corroboration.
The situation is different because ANY substance is illegal. If it was "vitamin spread," or leftover oil or whatever that he "forgot" to wipe off, it's just as illegal as pine tar. The only way it's legal is if it was dirt from the field and was there accidentally. But the fact that he had the same smudge for 3 straight starts makes it clear that it was no accident.Rule 8.02.b: The pitcher shall not....Have on his person, or in his possession, any foreign substance. For such infraction of this section b. the penalty shall be immediate ejection from the game. In addition, the pitcher shall be suspended automatically for 10 games.

Yeah that was a rough error by Zumaya. I think that one can be called a mental error, even though he did make a bad throw. Buck and McCarver actually came up with something interesting to say, when they mentioned that a 1-5-3 double play (pitcher to third to first, which Zumaya attempted to start) had not been succesfully completed in any MLB game since something like 1922.

Decision time:With the rain delay do you start Weaver over Reyes or Rogers over Verlander? My opinion is that I would do neither, I think Verlander is due for a strong performance and I've always thought Weaver was junk.

Well it doesn't make a huge difference for the Tigers. If they lose tonight they need to win 3 straight, so it doesn't really matter what order they go because they can't afford a single loss. If they win tonight then maybe go to Rogers for game 5 I think, since it gives them a good chance to take a 3-2 lead with the way he's been pitching. Also if he pitches game 5 then he would be potentially available from the bullpen for game 7.

I don't get the big hubbub with Zumaya. He throws the ball with supreme velocity but straight. He cannot pitch from behind in the count effectively because of this however because he gets max value out of his velocity when he can throw the off speed for strikes and when you repeatedly get to 2-0 counts with hitters it kind of makes that problematic. A guy like Eckstein can sit dead red and hit any straight fastball even at 100 mph.

I don't get the big hubbub with Zumaya. He throws the ball with supreme velocity but straight. He cannot pitch from behind in the count effectively because of this however because he gets max value out of his velocity when he can throw the off speed for strikes and when you repeatedly get to 2-0 counts with hitters it kind of makes that problematic. A guy like Eckstein can sit dead red and hit any straight fastball even at 100 mph.
What you are seeing in this series is not the Zoom Zoom I have seen all season long. Just look at his pitches in the ALDS compared to this series and you will see something completely different. Nerves? Young? Tired? Probably all three at this point. Tigers are most definately beating themselves. Not to take anything away from the Cards, cause they have shown me way more than I expected, but the Tigers are making some huge mistakes and the Cards are capitalizing on them. Series isn't over yet.
Tigers are most definately beating themselves. Not to take anything away from the Cards, cause they have shown me way more than I expected, but the Tigers are making some huge mistakes and the Cards are capitalizing on them. Series isn't over yet.
I dunno, last night was the first game the Tigers were able to string hits together especially in terms of getting production from guys like Pudge. Casey and Guillen have been hitting mostly the whole series but without guys in front of them getting on to do damage. Last night Detroit gave that game away but aside from the Zumaya error the Tigers haven't really been beating themselves too much unless you mean by giving away at bats to Carpenter in Game 3 and Reyes in Game 1 and pitching to Pujols w/1st base open for the first and subsequently last time in Game 1. Aside from the Rodney/Zumaya errors...the others weren't too too significant. The Verlander error came when the Cards were piling on in Game 1 and the Todd Jones error turned out to be insigificant. The errors (I'll count the Granderson slip in there as well), turned out to be big last night though. I like the Cards chances when it gets to 7.

So many places the Tigers could've won that game by making some plays.If Granderson doesn't slipIf Pudge doesn't let the strikeout ball by himIf Craig Monroe lines up 2 more inches to the leftIf Rodney can make a routine groundoutJust sick. I guess we've gotta move on to the next one.