Just Because I Am Tired Of Arguing...

There are some differences in this Forum that I find fascinating and I would like to thank each and everyone of you for forcing me to think outside of the box at times and forget the same old tired answers and really study and think again. I needed that, and as some of you read a few weeks ago I actually stepped foot into church again. I have a ways to go yet when it comes to me and the essence of me- at heart, I am just not as good as I should or could be, I know this, and admitting it is the first step. I will admit something- I have not believed, for a long time, that the wordl could actually end tommorow, that Christ's return is imminent. I believ- falsely- that I have time, even though I know it to be the opposite- I am guaranteed nothing, especially if I am not giving God his just due in my life. So, I have a question, and I am going to surmise that all of us could use a little more urgency.( And for now I will throw doctrinal differences to the side.) If you knew that the world was goign to end in a year,what would you do differently? How about a month? A week? A year? I will give my first answer, and there will be more as I was at work today and pondered this off and on, but one thing I came up with is I would love more. My family first, and God second but only because I think I honour God by serving my family as best I can. Be more attentive with my daughter, sing with her, sit with her, watch what she wants to watch, go to school and eat lunch with her, all the little things that mean so much but when I am so wrapped up in work, friends, poker and yes this freakin site they just sort of get neglected. I would do that everyday if I knew I only had a year with her. More to come.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are some differences in this Forum that I find fascinating and I would like to thank each and everyone of you for forcing me to think outside of the box at times and forget the same old tired answers and really study and think again. I needed that, and as some of you read a few weeks ago I actually stepped foot into church again. I have a ways to go yet when it comes to me and the essence of me- at heart, I am just not as good as I should or could be, I know this, and admitting it is the first step. I will admit something- I have not believed, for a long time, that the wordl could actually end tommorow, that Christ's return is imminent. I believ- falsely- that I have time, even though I know it to be the opposite- I am guaranteed nothing, especially if I am not giving God his just due in my life. So, I have a question, and I am going to surmise that all of us could use a little more urgency.( And for now I will throw doctrinal differences to the side.) If you knew that the world was goign to end in a year,what would you do differently? How about a month? A week? A year? I will give my first answer, and there will be more as I was at work today and pondered this off and on, but one thing I came up with is I would love more. My family first, and God second but only because I think I honour God by serving my family as best I can. Be more attentive with my daughter, sing with her, sit with her, watch what she wants to watch, go to school and eat lunch with her, all the little things that mean so much but when I am so wrapped up in work, friends, poker and yes this freakin site they just sort of get neglected. I would do that everyday if I knew I only had a year with her. More to come.
Where does it say in the Bible that God thinks it is more honorable to Him to spend time with your family that to worship and serve him?
Where does it say in the Bible that God thinks it is more honorable to Him to spend time with your family that to worship and serve him?
I said I honour God by serving my family. That is obvious. God wants me to be as good a husband as father as I can be.
So, I have a question, and I am going to surmise that all of us could use a little more urgency.( And for now I will throw doctrinal differences to the side.) If you knew that the world was goign to end in a year,what would you do differently? How about a month? A week? A year?
An interesting question that I'll have to think about. I'll assume that only I know the world is going to end because if everyone knew things'd get a bit crazy.

Even though this is in the religious, my answer isn't going to be very spiritual or enlightening, but rather honest. I'd probably do much of what I do now but I'd travel home MUCH more to see my parents and the rest of my family (probably every week). I'd also eat more brownies and junk food since I really don't give a hoot about my long term health. I'd watch less tv and instead spend that time going to museums, seeing the world, or just generally observing people. I'd have to take a trip to Europe at some point consisting of Paris, Rome, and Athens (since I've never been to any of those and feel as a human that I have to at some point in my life). I'd read more books (I mean actual books, not ones that involve poker or physics). I'd reread the most important ones (Iliad, Odyssey, and all of Vonnegut - basically the literary canon in my opinion). I'd see a few awesome concerts and probably stalk Radiohead for a few weeks. I'd have to fly to Vegas at some point and blow some serious cash at the poker tables. I'd probably be a lame fan boy and stalk DN there too.Good topic, Lois. I like how everything I picked off the top of my head is something that I could actually do in the not so distant future.

An interesting question that I'll have to think about. I'll assume that only I know the world is going to end because if everyone knew things'd get a bit crazy.
Yeah, throw that in there. You are the only one who knows, otherwise there would just be mass hysteria. Well, maybe not, but for the most part I think that people are not mentally capable of handling an imminent end- we all like to live as if tommorow is guaranteed. You know, I think about this is alot, because from the christian standpoint you have to live as if everyday is your last, always try and be right with God, work on self, etc., but at the same time there must be a balance in order to live life- we cannnot cross that line where we are hunkering down in bunkers with distilled water and canned food, waiting for the hammer to drop. I suppose that is where faith comes in, in that God will allow me the time it takes to get where I need to be. Alright, for more answers, and this one will be a little more selfish. I would travel, alot, and see some of the parts of the world that I never have because I can't stand flying. I would take my family on safari and watch the look on my daughters face when monkeys sit on the hood of our truck, and swings away when a lion approaches. I would see great architecture, drink wine in places where wine should be enjoyed and make love everywhere. I would enjoy good music without embarrasment- I happen to love Poison, and they do a great show. I would say that line " Poison does a great show " without following with " Well, you know, for what they are. " You know why? Poison is a great hair metal band that is still doing it, and C.C. Deville is a really, really good guitarist, and Bret Michaels is a fun frontman to watch. I digress- I won't turn this into a thread on defending my love of Poison,lol. I do have one more thing, though. I would never, ever do something that the man wants me to do if it meant giving up time with my family. Time is about the most valuable asset we have, next to health and I know I waste so much of it.

I guess I dont' understand why only having a year left would make you want to spend more time being a devoted family man. If you think that the best way to live, the best way to serve god, is spending more time with your family, why don't you do it now? Why wait for a hypothetical countdown timer?

I guess I dont' understand why only having a year left would make you want to spend more time being a devoted family man. If you think that the best way to live, the best way to serve god, is spending more time with your family, why don't you do it now? Why wait for a hypothetical countdown timer?
I think some people are completely missing the point. I liked some of the stuff that Yorke said- and for him, that is what he would do. I AM a devoted family man- but, I could be more so. I am not perfect, and could do better. My family means the world to me- so, that is where I would like to be when it all ends, with them. And with Poison. You know what sucks? I really, really tried to create a topic where everyone could just share a part of themselves, and out of 7 replies,only one person could manage to do that. Everything else has been either critical or non sense, which is just sad.
I wasn't trying to be critical, I was just saying that I thnik everyone should live life like it's their last year, because it very well may be.
Yet most people do not do that, hence the question. It was designed to get people to talk directly about themselves, not whatever there beliefs are.
I said I honour God by serving my family. That is obvious. God wants me to be as good a husband as father as I can be.
sorry to sound like one of those critical people but why is it that you know that God wants you to spend more time with your family, yet you choose to not do it to your full capability now?if you call yourself a Christian then why are you not as of right now trying to spend as much time with your family as you can instead of waiting for this clock if you will.correct me if i am wrong but you dont really seem like a Christian, and if you are then you really do focus on sad parts of Christianity such as not having Christmas at your house, or thinking about the time when the world will end.not the way to live buddy, just enjoy Christ's gifts and give praise to him for them.
sorry to sound like one of those critical people but why is it that you know that God wants you to spend more time with your family, yet you choose to not do it to your full capability now?if you call yourself a Christian then why are you not as of right now trying to spend as much time with your family as you can instead of waiting for this clock if you will.correct me if i am wrong but you dont really seem like a Christian, and if you are then you really do focus on sad parts of Christianity such as not having Christmas at your house, or thinking about the time when the world will end.not the way to live buddy, just enjoy Christ's gifts and give praise to him for them.
How hard is this question? Is it really that much of a brainbuster? Is it really that ball busting that all anyone can do is say that I appparently don't spend enough time with my family, because I would like to spend more? Why is it that Yorke and I are the only 2 that have the nuts to share a little of ourselves- I will omit MDXS because he said he would like to think about it- and the rest of you just criticize, with no basis for it. How sad is it that you have got nothing to say, not even something simple like.. I would like to go skydiving, or I would like to buy a monkey. It really,seriously is that simple.
and the rest of you just criticize, with no basis for it. How sad is it that you have got nothing to say...
I hear ya!Isn't it so annoying when Christians tell you how you should live your life?
and the rest of you just criticize, with no basis for it. How sad is it that you have got nothing to say...I hear ya!Isn't it so annoying when Christians tell you how you should live your life?
I don't think I have ever tried harder in this Forum to keep religion out of a thread, so I am not sure what you mean by that. On top of that, I am not sure if you are a ware of this, but this is a religous forum-- turns out religion may be discussed, and those ideas may cross yours. If you don't like it, don't read. I notice you had nothing worthwhile to say. Big suprise.
I don't think I have ever tried harder in this Forum to keep religion out of a thread, so I am not sure what you mean by that. On top of that, I am not sure if you are a ware of this, but this is a religous forum-- turns out religion may be discussed, and those ideas may cross yours. If you don't like it, don't read. I notice you had nothing worthwhile to say. Big suprise.
Once again another joke goes over your head...Do you have to practice to come over so stupid or is it a natural affliction?
I got the joke. Once again, like last time- not funny. Seee anyone laughing?
I don't expect you to find it funny.Sometimes I think slapstick is beyond you
I don't expect you to find it funny.Sometimes I think slapstick is beyond you
You don't expect me to find it funny yet whine about it if I don't? Who are you, my wife? Only she would expect me to act a certain way and then ***** when I did exactly as expected.

I think I would do a lot more witnessing. One reason people think Christians shove their beliefs into other people's faces is because we care for them. We want them to know the wonderful gift Christ has given to all of us. I try to spread the gospel as much as I can, but I just don't do it often enough. Being life is not going to be much longer anyway, I might even go to some dangerous places where Christianity is not allowed like China, or some third world countries, or sluggos or crowtrobot's houses :club: . If I'm going to die, I might as well sacrifice my life for my Savior. Lois, i gotta tell ya, I don't have much respect for alotta people on this site, but you are one of the few. I appreciate you.