Ok, we all know it's great to play against stupid players that don't know what they're doing, but when they make you lose out on pots, it really ticks me off. For instance, 1 player was all in, the flop comes out 776 and this is a multi-way pot, it gets checked around. Turn comes a 2 and someone bets, so I'm thinking ok they've gotta have the 7, so I lay down my pair. River comes another 6 and the player all-in had an A to play the board and his kicker while the other idiot was holding 92 offsuit, this isn't low limit either, this happened at 10/20 and it was actually a 100 dollar pot, so I was pretty annoyed still.Another instance of this is where I'm in my big blind with 88, 5 callers. Flop comes out K 6 4, so I bet out to see where I'm at, 4 callers still, turn comes a 7, so I check, planning on calling 1 bet, but some idiot leads out here and bets, it gets raised, 1 caller and I fold and bettor calls. River comes a 5, so I would have had a straight, then the turn bettor bets again and raiser just calls. Of course this guy flips over 75 for 2 pair and another person has a set of 6's. Had to be the most retarded play ever to lead out here with just a pair. It's bad enough when your running sour, but these things added on top of it make it even worst.

I was playing live with some kids from my dorm. Cheap game, blinds were 10/20 cents. I started out with five dollars. Kids were busting out with K5, Q6, J8, Q3, A rag A rag A rag and making a scene about their hands not holding up. I probably played 100 to 150 hands and my top three were TT, JTs, AJs. Meanwhile, these kids are calling ANY BET at ANY TIME with ANY CARDS in ANY POSITION. I feel like it's a lot harder to play against ignorant players like this. I hate to be all Hellmuth about it, but it drive s me crazy sometimes. Last night my friend made a huge raise with AA in the hole and ended up being outdrawn by J3o. Awesome.

I was playing live with some kids from my dorm. Cheap game, blinds were 10/20 cents. I started out with five dollars. Kids were busting out with K5, Q6, J8, Q3, A rag A rag A rag and making a scene about their hands not holding up. I probably played 100 to 150 hands and my top three were TT, JTs, AJs. Meanwhile, these kids are calling ANY BET at ANY TIME with ANY CARDS in ANY POSITION. I feel like it's a lot harder to play against ignorant players like this. I hate to be all Hellmuth about it, but it drive s me crazy sometimes. Last night my friend made a huge raise with AA in the hole and ended up being outdrawn by J3o. Awesome.
Good times.

I used to be the same way. Hated those damn fish but after playing in some higher limit games(stud mostly) I would have loved to go back to the fishy tables. You have to hate it when you raise with (KK)J and get no callers then raise with (QQ)A and get one caller and run into (AA)K. Suck outs happen but keep your eye on the prize, those fish will make that losing session of non stop suckouts look like chump change when you catch good. Keep the faith.

Ok, we all know it's great to play against stupid players that don't know what they're doing, but when they make you lose out on pots, it really ticks me off. For instance, 1 player was all in, the flop comes out 776 and this is a multi-way pot, it gets checked around. Turn comes a 2 and someone bets, so I'm thinking ok they've gotta have the 7, so I lay down my pair. River comes another 6 and the player all-in had an A to play the board and his kicker while the other idiot was holding 92 offsuit, this isn't low limit either, this happened at 10/20 and it was actually a 100 dollar pot, so I was pretty annoyed still.Another instance of this is where I'm in my big blind with 88, 5 callers. Flop comes out K 6 4, so I bet out to see where I'm at, 4 callers still, turn comes a 7, so I check, planning on calling 1 bet, but some idiot leads out here and bets, it gets raised, 1 caller and I fold and bettor calls. River comes a 5, so I would have had a straight, then the turn bettor bets again and raiser just calls. Of course this guy flips over 75 for 2 pair and another person has a set of 6's. Had to be the most retarded play ever to lead out here with just a pair. It's bad enough when your running sour, but these things added on top of it make it even worst.
Totally disagree, your play was bad not theirs. You forgot the first rule that every poker book teaches (and it's not "fold to the reraise excpt with the top 3 hands") - observe your opponents. The ones who regularly call significantly away from the nuts are a gold mine to be tapped, sure they'll suck out from time to time but who cares when you have pot odds, nuts or close too and they will call or raise for you every time they have anything. Doyle said it best "If you can't beat a calling station you can't beat anyone".Case in point I was at a table (online) where I watched a guy go all in pre-flop, get called he had a pair of queens, good hand. A little while later he did it with a pair of 4's. And later with 7's. Then he did it again, I had pocket 10's... simple calculation, 4 paired sets would put me at a disadvantage 8 would put me at an advantage, the odds of me having the better hand at this time were roughly 2:1 (I discounted A-K and runners from observation). Anyway he had a pair of 9's flop didn't help anyone and I won a very nice pot. And again when he had A-K and called right up to and past the rivr and raised despite the board offering a 4-6-7-8-10 and a possible flush. I had a straight he was the only opponent, and I just called knowing he ignored the board. He sucked out on me the next hand but who cares he won back a quarter of his own money.Anyway, enough of my showing off the key is books(theoretically) illustrate optimal play, when you come across a situation you have to actually think and figure out how to maximize the profit from it (this is anaethema to the recent influx of players) .Just be sure they really are idiots and not setting you up.My 17.98394 cents.

I"m not sure exactly how my play was bad? 1 player was all-in and the side pot was dry, so it'd only make sense to lay it down in most instances. Also, this guy just sat down at the table, so I had no read on him at all. I'm not talking about calling stations, chasers or whatever, but it's the ones that try to bet when they have to know theyre beat and it costed me a few big pots today where I would have called 1 bet, but didn't have the pot odds to call 2.

Well, you dont say how big the bets are, so it's hard to tell if you made the right plays or not. In the second scenario, I dont see what the issue is. I know you would have made your straight, but you would have sucked out. You call if the odds are there, and fold if the odds are wrong for chasing. The raise-re-raise you were facing was a clear indication of strength. One raise could be taking a shot at it, but the re-raise usually has a hand. He did...the set. You were behind, and you shouldn't look back. Second guessing yourself because your straight came in will encourage you to chase more often than you should.The first scenario, it all depends on the pot and bet sizes. In a low-stakes game, the raise could be someone trying to represent a big hand, but if the price is right, I'd be staying in this one. If the raise was large (pot sized), I wouldn't worry about it. You'll get spots with better visibility. If these guys are willing to bet into you with crap hands and a paired board, they'll be doing it wether you have an overpair or a flopped boat. When you hit your hand they will pay you off BIG.These guys are not calling stations. They are loose-aggressive. Play tight and take all their chips when you make a big hand.

this was a 10/20 game, I should probably add this was a limit game, the first pot was small, so it wasnt worth calling a big bet on the turn to see another card, because I figured I'd be facing another bet at a river that wasn't worth it especially if I was drawing to 2 cards. The 2nd pot I"m not saying I played it wrong, but my hand was worth seeing 1 bet on the turn with, but I mean who bets into a field of 4 players with a lousy pair of 7's? You've gotta figure somebody has the King at least. If this guy had just checked, the guy with the set of 6's would have bet and I would have just called it. I think the guy with the set of 6's misplayed his hand as well by not raising the flop and making draws pay to draw out. He's lucky he had somebody bet into him on the turn so he could raise. I've just been seeing bluffs at a dry side pot way too often it makes me sick. 1 player is all-in pre-flop already and 1 other player still in the pot. I have AK and flop comes out 9 5 3, so I just check it considering it was 3 bet pre-flop so they probably had some hand. Turn comes 7, I check again and this guy bets, so I just call to see if I can catch a A or K. The river comes a 4, so I check, he bets again and I fold. Guess what he turns over? 62 offsuit for a straight. At this point, I'm fairly annoyed, because he was bluffing at a dry side pot with 6 hi on the turn. Another instance had 1 guy bluffing with 5 hi in a dry side pot on the river. No betting on the flop or river with 1 player that had all his money in and he bet with 5 hi. The whole point to my rant was that sometimes players like this end up costing you pots that you should be scooping and it's a real piss off when they do. Of course you still want to be playing against them but this just shows you that practically every limit has fish, just with bigger wallets.

Another instance of this is where I'm in my big blind with 88, 5 callers. Flop comes out K 6 4, so I bet out to see where I'm at, 4 callers still, turn comes a 7, so I check, planning on calling 1 bet, but some idiot leads out here and bets, it gets raised, 1 caller and I fold and bettor calls. River comes a 5, so I would have had a straight, then the turn bettor bets again and raiser just calls. Of course this guy flips over 75 for 2 pair and another person has a set of 6's. Had to be the most retarded play ever to lead out here with just a pair. It's bad enough when your running sour, but these things added on top of it make it even worst.
Hey..... don't get me wrong I agree with you on idiots that play the game.... I like to call em monkeys, but I need to argue in defense for this guy.... your curious as to why he bet his 7 on the turn, hmmmm.... lets think..... the flop got checked, so to his beliefe/hope no one has a king. So he hits his 7 (second pair with a straight draw) he's testing the water to see where he stands. GOOD BET. He got raised, so he found out were he stood.Number 2. Your willing to call a $20 (assuming this is 10/20 also) on the turn for what..... 4 outs?? You can't even say you have 6 outs because do you really wanna hit your set and put a four card straight on board? So really your drawing for a 5 only. So I mean your criticizing and yet you were going to make a terrible move yourself. Call 20 for a 50 pot... on a gutshot...... NICE!!!I'm not one to criticize I usually let people keep doing it cause I know they pay me off, but when I see someone complaining about a move when they were gonna do something worse I have to step in and say something. Even if you think I'm an idiot and I don't know what I'm talking about.... thats cool.
this was a 10/20 game, the first pot was small, so it wasnt worth calling a big bet on the turn to see another card, because I figured I'd be facing another bet at a river that wasn't worth it especially if I was drawing to 2 cards. The 2nd pot I"m not saying I played it wrong, but my hand was worth seeing 1 bet on the turn with, but I mean who bets into a field of 4 players with a lousy pair of 7's? You've gotta figure somebody has the King at least. If this guy had just checked, the guy with the set of 6's would have bet and I would have just called it. I think the guy with the set of 6's misplayed his hand as well by not raising the flop and making draws pay to draw out. He's lucky he had somebody bet into him on the turn so he could raise.
666 played it perfect he checked it and knew in a 5 person hand someone is gonna bet the turn so he can pop em back, for $40 instead of $20. He got what he wanted he prevented the draw it worked out.Sometimes slow playing bites you in the a$$, and sometimes it pays off. Thats poker.
Another instance of this is where I'm in my big blind with 88, 5 callers. Flop comes out K 6 4, so I bet out to see where I'm at, 4 callers still, turn comes a 7, so I check, planning on calling 1 bet, but some idiot leads out here and bets, it gets raised, 1 caller and I fold and bettor calls. River comes a 5, so I would have had a straight, then the turn bettor bets again and raiser just calls. Of course this guy flips over 75 for 2 pair and another person has a set of 6's. Had to be the most retarded play ever to lead out here with just a pair. It's bad enough when your running sour, but these things added on top of it make it even worst.
Hey..... don't get me wrong I agree with you on idiots that play the game.... I like to call em monkeys, but I need to argue in defense for this guy.... your curious as to why he bet his 7 on the turn, hmmmm.... lets think..... the flop got checked, so to his beliefe/hope no one has a king. So he hits his 7 (second pair with a straight draw) he's testing the water to see where he stands. GOOD BET. He got raised, so he found out were he stood.Number 2. Your willing to call a $20 (assuming this is 10/20 also) on the turn for what..... 4 outs?? You can't even say you have 6 outs because do you really wanna hit your set and put a four card straight on board? So really your drawing for a 5 only. So I mean your criticizing and yet you were going to make a terrible move yourself. Call 20 for a 50 pot... on a gutshot...... NICE!!!I'm not one to criticize I usually let people keep doing it cause I know they pay me off, but when I see someone complaining about a move when they were gonna do something worse I have to step in and say something. Even if you think I'm an idiot and I don't know what I'm talking about.... thats cool.
The Flop was not checked, I said I bet out, you must have misread it. There was actually $100 in the pot after the flop, so calling a $20 bet wouldnt have been so bad on the turn to peel a card off. Besides the range of hands these guys hold are limitless, my pair of 8's might have been good. Betting out here with a pair of 7's is absolutely stupid with many players left in the hand. If you support this play, I'm not sure what to say.

I wish people would just stop trying to sneak bad beat stories into the forum... just go ahead and admit it. Make sure your subject line is "BAD BEAT STORY!"Ice

My apologies for not noticing that you said you bet the flop.... I now understand what you mean, and agree with you. If you bet the flop then the guy with the seven should be shot for betting into you. He must be a monkey.Sorry for mis-understanding.

this was a 10/20 game, the first pot was small, so it wasnt worth calling a big bet on the turn to see another card, because I figured I'd be facing another bet at a river that wasn't worth it especially if I was drawing to 2 cards. The 2nd pot I"m not saying I played it wrong, but my hand was worth seeing 1 bet on the turn with, but I mean who bets into a field of 4 players with a lousy pair of 7's? You've gotta figure somebody has the King at least. If this guy had just checked, the guy with the set of 6's would have bet and I would have just called it. I think the guy with the set of 6's misplayed his hand as well by not raising the flop and making draws pay to draw out. He's lucky he had somebody bet into him on the turn so he could raise.
666 played it perfect he checked it and knew in a 5 person hand someone is gonna bet the turn so he can pop em back, for $40 instead of $20. He got what he wanted he prevented the draw it worked out.Sometimes slow playing bites you in the a$$, and sometimes it pays off. Thats poker.
again the set of 6's didnt check the flop, he called my bet. He only prevented me from drawing out on him because of the help of a bad play from someone else. It didn't pay off either. He would have made more money theoretically by raising on the flop with his position had his hand held up. When he raised the turn, he knocked out me and the other players. If he had just called, he would have gained 2 or 3 more big bets from us calling which would have been equivalent to the big bets he got from the other player that bet out. Of course, I would have drawn out on him, but if he ws concerned about this, he would have raised the flop to make the draws pay.
I wish people would just stop trying to sneak bad beat stories into the forum... just go ahead and admit it. Make sure your subject line is "BAD BEAT STORY!"Ice
Not exactly a bad beat story if I was behind in the hand. I just felt the need to get it off my chest, because these idiots have been pissing me off as of late.
Not exactly a bad beat story if I was behind in the hand. I just felt the need to get it off my chest, because these idiots have been censored me off as of late.
Its good to talk about it..... it makes me angry all the time.... but in the end they will pay you off thats the best way to look at it.
The Flop was not checked, I said I bet out, you must have misread it. There was actually $100 in the pot after the flop, so calling a $20 bet wouldnt have been so bad on the turn to peel a card off. Besides the range of hands these guys hold are limitless, my pair of 8's might have been good. Betting out here with a pair of 7's is absolutely stupid with many players left in the hand. If you support this play, I'm not sure what to say.
You bet out with what you think is second pair and a runner-runner gutshot on the flop to see where you are at. No one raised you so no one seems to have a particularly strong hand.You, the post-flop aggressor, then check when a middle card hits the flop. So he guesses that you don't have a king otherwise you would have bet out again. So he figures his 2nd pair and OESD is worth a bet.It doesn't look such a horrible play to me.Also your post doesn't give any indications of the suits. Were there any flush draws possible?
Had to be the most retarded play ever to lead out here with just a pair.
preceded by
so I bet out to see where I'm at
So it wasn't retarded for you to bet to see where you're at with 8s, but it was "the most retarded play ever" for him to bet the turn with 7s and a OESD? Gotcha.

My apoligies, if he just sat down you did the right thing. For some reason I presumed you'd been playing with them all night and this was just another instance of it. Once again, sorry.

I"m not sure exactly how my play was bad? 1 player was all-in and the side pot was dry, so it'd only make sense to lay it down in most instances. Also, this guy just sat down at the table, so I had no read on him at all. I'm not talking about calling stations, chasers or whatever, but it's the ones that try to bet when they have to know theyre beat and it costed me a few big pots today where I would have called 1 bet, but didn't have the pot odds to call 2.
Had to be the most retarded play ever to lead out here with just a pair.
preceded by
so I bet out to see where I'm at
So it wasn't retarded for you to bet to see where you're at with 8s, but it was "the most retarded play ever" for him to bet the turn with 7s and a OESD? Gotcha.
Ok, so you would have bet the turn in his position? More power to you buddy. Again you have a pair of 7's, if I was him, I'd be certain I was behind, so why bet there? If you have 4 callers, you've gotta put somebody on at least a king and perhaps a slowplayed big hand. You bet the flop to see where your at, not the turn, you need to have a made hand to be betting the turn against a large field
You bet out with what you think is second pair and a runner-runner gutshot on the flop to see where you are at. No one raised you so no one seems to have a particularly strong hand.You, the post-flop aggressor, then check when a middle card hits the flop. So he guesses that you don't have a king otherwise you would have bet out again. So he figures his 2nd pair and OESD is worth a bet.It doesn't look such a horrible play to me.Also your post doesn't give any indications of the suits. Were there any flush draws possible?
I think you need to keep in mind there are other players in the hand besides myself. I would think somebody has a king or at least something that beats a pair of 7's. I still think it's a dumb play to lead out with a pair of 7's with 3 players to act after. If you get raised, your in bad shape especially isolated like he was, which of course is what happened. With his draw, he wants lots of callers, not raises to get players out, checking and letting somebody else bet is the much better play here, not sure how this could be disputed.There were no flush draws on the board, it was a rainbow flop.