Official English Premier League Thread

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A european superleague would be the worst thing to happen to European football in forever IMO. Great for th clubs invited but a slow death for the rest.

Don't you boys have the best sponsorship deal in the league with Mansion? I know it was when it was first agreed, is that still the case?
Yea we robbed them pretty much, the people at Mansion who made the deal have been let go for incompetence. :club: And now (apparently) we are approaching them for more money to supplement the wages of signing Samuel Etoo. He wants 100k a week but our wage structure has a top tier of 60k, and it is thought Mansion might be willing to pay the extra for the privilege of having such a player wearing their logo.
honestly, why would europe be better off with a 20 club only super league. It would kill all of the domestic leagues, its the same reason that Rangers and Celtic most likely will never play in england. THe money that the smaller clubs get from playing the bigger clubs and being in the top division is massive for them and it also provides those fans with fun memories. Imagine if you are a Bradford City fan, while your club may now be in the crapper like it normally is, you still have those great memories of those two seasons in the top flight that hadn't happened in something like 80 years. You can say that any top flight league in europe is a joke because x clubs are in it. SerieA has had clubs recently that have a long history of being in SerieC1 and SerieB same with LaLiga. Can you logically come up with a model that would make it work so that the smaller clubs can benefit from such a super league, because they won't
I really don't care if it would benefit the smaller clubs, to be honest.And Rangers and Celtic not joining the Premiership has more to do with ENglish clubs not wanting to potentially give up lucrative European invitations than it does with the impact leaving would have on the smaller scottish clubs.
I really don't care if it would benefit the smaller clubs, to be honest.And Rangers and Celtic not joining the Premiership has more to do with ENglish clubs not wanting to potentially give up lucrative European invitations than it does with the impact leaving would have on the smaller scottish clubs.
Perhaps, but the sad fact is without the Old Firm Scottish football shrivels and dies like an untreated, diseased testicle.Rangers/Celtic's average gate ~50000. Everyone else ~3000 and that's being generous!For the record though Old Firm > than a lot of the Premiership and I'd reckon they could hold their own, not challenging for Champions League but certainly UEFA places.
basically with this post you are saying that you don't like football. the non big sides are a neccessary and everything is cyclical. 25 years ago, Stoke, Watford, and Forrest were the better sides in the League while Chelsea and newcastle were in the second division and ManU was a mid table sideRangers and Celtic wouldn't be able to leave the Scottish prem anyway because they would need a major vote to be allowed to leave, and the scottish clubs won't do that. Actually, there's a lot of English Clubs that would welcome the Old Firm as it would mean big gates for them
For the record though Old Firm > than a lot of the Premiership and I'd reckon they could hold their own, not challenging for Champions League but certainly UEFA places.
This is without question and anyone who argues otherwise is an idiot. In fact, I think that Rangers would've qualified for the CL this year over the boys from beatletown and the old firm would certainly challenge for those spots on a very consistent basis

Rangers or Celtic wouldnt crack the top four consistently, they have nowhere near the quality. They would be fighting for the UEFA Cup spots with teams of similar ability such as Everton, Blackburn, and Villa. (and Spurs apart from this season :club: )

Rangers or Celtic wouldnt crack the top four consistently, they have nowhere near the quality. They would be fighting for the UEFA Cup spots with teams of similar ability such as Everton, Blackburn, and Villa. (and Spurs apart from this season :club: )
I agree with this, but after 2-4 years in the Premiership the Old Firm would be genuine CL spot contenders. They are massive, massive clubs. Just look at the support they took to their UEFA cup finals. Rangers ~100000 to Manchester and Celtic ~80000 to Seville. Mental. They would definately attract top quality players if they were CL sides playing in Europe's top league.Also, to anyone from Manchester, any word what happened with the Rangers fans last night? Lots of "they were a credit to their club" but similarly "they rioted". Plus, the fact that a Zenit fan got stabbed makes me sick.
I agree with this, but after 2-4 years in the Premiership the Old Firm would be genuine CL spot contenders. They are massive, massive clubs. Just look at the support they took to their UEFA cup finals. Rangers ~100000 to Manchester and Celtic ~80000 to Seville. Mental. They would definately attract top quality players if they were CL sides playing in Europe's top league.Also, to anyone from Manchester, any word what happened with the Rangers fans last night? Lots of "they were a credit to their club" but similarly "they rioted". Plus, the fact that a Zenit fan got stabbed makes me sick.
Agree, it wouldnt be long before their gate sales + the extra TV money from the Premiership helped them move up the ladder. But then again they could have all these things, spend a lot of money, and still end up like Newcastle.....shit.
Agree, it wouldnt be long before their gate sales + the extra TV money from the Premiership helped them move up the ladder. But then again they could have all these things, spend a lot of money, and still end up like Newcastle.....shit.
Bwahahaha! Newcastle are the worst run team in the Premiership, nay, the Universe! It's comedic to watch their inevitable slide to the Championship, anyone want to take the over/under on them being down by the next Olympics?
Also, to anyone from Manchester, any word what happened with the Rangers fans last night? Lots of "they were a credit to their club" but similarly "they rioted". Plus, the fact that a Zenit fan got stabbed makes me sick.
They ****en disgraced themselves, have a look on the video on Skynews below, they manage to isolate one police officer and as he trips up the dickless wonders all kick the shit out of him.http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30100-1316114,00.htmlThen they set upon ambulance crews etc :club:
They ****en disgraced themselves, have a look on the video on Skynews below, they manage to isolate one police officer and as he trips up the dickless wonders all kick the shit out of him.http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30100-1316114,00.htmlThen they set upon ambulance crews etc :club:
I saw this on the BBC website. It's horrifying when they all fly on him, poor guy must have been terrified. I see a UEFA investigation and more trouble for Rangers. Remember they were warned after poor behaviour at Villareal last year?
basically with this post you are saying that you don't like football. the non big sides are a neccessary and everything is cyclical. 25 years ago, Stoke, Watford, and Forrest were the better sides in the League while Chelsea and newcastle were in the second division and ManU was a mid table side
!) The money in the game is different now, than it was 25 years ago... the Cycle is over. There is too big of gap between the mega teams and the second division. Chelsea is never going to be in the second division again, and Stoke and Watford, baring a crazy russian buying them, are never going to the top.2) I Do not see at all why non big sides are necessary at all. I think there is nothing necessary about 8-1 games, and games than Man U plays 1 normal starter, because their bench can easily beat the teams on the lower end of the tables. 3) I like football. But I like good football. maybe I'm selfish, but I'd like to see evenly matched, great teams play each other, all the time. I want to see Liverpool play AC Milan, Barca play Chelsea, Real Madrid play Man U twice a year. Are you really telling me you'd rather See Man U's backups crush Stoke twice a year than battle Real Madrid twice a year?
Perhaps, but the sad fact is without the Old Firm Scottish football shrivels and dies like an untreated, diseased testicle.Rangers/Celtic's average gate ~50000. Everyone else ~3000 and that's being generous!For the record though Old Firm > than a lot of the Premiership and I'd reckon they could hold their own, not challenging for Champions League but certainly UEFA places.
I guess what I'm saying is I don't give a damn what happens to Hearts and Hibs... If I grew up in Edinburgh I might feel different, but I didn't so I don't. The gap between Rangers and Celtic and the rest of the Scottish league is obscene. It would be like the Yankee's playing the toledo mud hens and the durham bulls. I'd prefer to watch competitive soccer than bloodbaths.
I saw this on the BBC website. It's horrifying when they all fly on him, poor guy must have been terrified. I see a UEFA investigation and more trouble for Rangers. Remember they were warned after poor behaviour at Villareal last year?
Yea shame theyve ruined it for all the United fans who dont get big screens for the CL final next week now tho.And a Zenit fan was stabbed inside the ground, really hope that doesnt come back to haunt the English fans in Moscow next week. Dont see Russian hooligans being smart enough to make the distinction between who to get back for it.
Bump!It's going to be great. Please let Drogba and Ronaldo shine on the main stage.
If only someone started a champions league thread... I'm going to post my prediction in there.
If only someone started a champions league thread... I'm going to post my prediction in there.
Dammit!!I went into the champs league thread thinking thats where I bumped, seen your bump and got so confused and a bit freaked out
  • 1 month later...

LOL!This isn't Premiership related, but I had to bump a thread to post this... Drunk Referee In Belarus!Drunk ref in a Belarus game... so hammered he can't even walk un-aided.. lmao this cracked me up. Check out the wave to the crowd on .59 sec too. Classic.One thing though, surely someone would have noticed this before he was let out onto the pitch???

Ronaldo to Real.. oh, man, I love that idea.
?I can't work out what you mean here. You've just heard about this... or you've just decided that you like the idea?... because if it's the former, this has been going on since the day after we won the CL. In summary, the most ridiculously drawn out transfer/request/non-request/drama/bs ever in the history of football. No-one has come out of it looking good, especially Ronaldo himself (and Real Madrid and Sepp Blatter, the twat.. but that's another story).Now it looks like he's staying, and ALL things considered... I wish we'd just sold him. For c£75m.
?I can't work out what you mean here. You've just heard about this... or you've just decided that you like the idea?... because if it's the former, this has been going on since the day after we won the CL. In summary, the most ridiculously drawn out transfer/request/non-request/drama/bs ever in the history of football. No-one has come out of it looking good, especially Ronaldo himself (and Real Madrid and Sepp Blatter, the twat.. but that's another story).Now it looks like he's staying, and ALL things considered... I wish we'd just sold him. For c£75m.
I think you should sell him now, its gonna turn into anelka all over again when he was at arsenal.Mind you could all be press
I think you should sell him now, its gonna turn into anelka all over again when he was at arsenal.Mind you could all be press
Obv the press will have made up/embellished certain stories and details, but the main issues are clear and true.Who knows what will happen come the opening day of the season, apparently Fergie met him on Monday and said there's no way he's going.. but jeez, Ronaldo's proved himself to be a bit of a shit tbh, so I'm not sure. We're bigger than one player and Fergie's triumphed after getting rid of Ince/Hughes/Kanchelskis (season when Hansen said we can't win anything with kids, lol)... Cantona, Schmeichel, Stam, Beckham, and other great players have come and gone. So maybe it's time to thank him for everything he's done, remember the good times and move on.Because it'll be hard to cheer for him next season if he's at OT. I know football's changing and loyalties are different these days with agents basically running the game, but Man Utd seem to have avoided such issues so, as a fan, it's a new thing to me.And wtf with the 'slave' talk. Cristiano, you signed a ****ing contract for £100,000+ per week, for 5 years. Get a clue.
Obv the press will have made up/embellished certain stories and details, but the main issues are clear and true.Who knows what will happen come the opening day of the season, apparently Fergie met him on Monday and said there's no way he's going.. but jeez, Ronaldo's proved himself to be a bit of a shit tbh, so I'm not sure. We're bigger than one player and Fergie's triumphed after getting rid of Ince/Hughes/Kanchelskis (season when Hansen said we can't win anything with kids, lol)... Cantona, Schmeichel, Stam, Beckham, and other great players have come and gone. So maybe it's time to thank him for everything he's done, remember the good times and move on.Because it'll be hard to cheer for him next season if he's at OT. I know football's changing and loyalties are different these days with agents basically running the game, but Man Utd seem to have avoided such issues so, as a fan, it's a new thing to me.And wtf with the 'slave' talk. Cristiano, you signed a ****ing contract for £100,000+ per week, for 5 years. Get a clue.
i know what you mean, i used to be a big football fan but all the money in the game ruined it for me, still watch now and again but rugby is my main thing now.i work next door to the ospreys stadium, and were going to the nou camp this year in the euro cup should be good.
?I can't work out what you mean here. You've just heard about this... or you've just decided that you like the idea?
No, it's just that no one has been talking about it in this thread, so I wanted to bring it up and gauge the red devil fanbase's reaction.
I thought Ronaldos mother handled herself very well