My wife and I were travelling from the UK back to Canada a little while after 9/11. As usual you hear people whispering about others in the lineup.We were the only ones that were stopped in the whole line up to have our bags checked.Is that accurate racial profiling?
Well, I guess that depends, are you a terrorist Arabic Muslim?
  • Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok folks ... it might be time for the moderator to lock this topic. When I started this thread, I didn't realize it would degenerate into this whole crazy thing so quickly. I sincerely apologize if the thread offended, annoyed or disturbed anyone. It was simply intended to pose some questions regarding the parameters of racial profiling and generate some discussion as to whether it in fact prevented terrorism. Thanks to everyone, regardless of which side you take, who responded. I appreciate it.

My wife and I were travelling from the UK back to Canada a little while after 9/11. As usual you hear people whispering about others in the lineup.We were the only ones that were stopped in the whole line up to have our bags checked.Is that accurate racial profiling?
are you a Muslim terrorist and do you wear a towel on your head?if not, maybe you should send me some photos of your wife and I'll take a looksey
Ok folks ... it might be time for the moderator to lock this topic. When I started this thread, I didn't realize it would degenerate into this whole crazy thing so quickly. I sincerely apologize if the thread offended, annoyed or disturbed anyone. It was simply intended to pose some questions regarding the parameters of racial profiling and generate some discussion as to whether it in fact prevented terrorism. Thanks to everyone, regardless of which side you take, who responded. I appreciate it.
happy to participate in a good, civil discussion. Thanks

STUPID AIRPORT SECURITY IIISeveral airport security screeners have sent me polite letters criticizing some of my comments in my last two columns, prompting this question to you: In managing our personal security, should we guard against possible or probable threats? Consider the measures and the resource expenditures I might take to guard Mrs. Williams and me against all possible threats to our security.Even though I live in Pennsylvania, well outside of tornado alley, I'd construct a tornado shelter because it's possible for a tornado to strike anywhere. I'd no longer get into my car and drive off without doing a thorough check of my car's hydraulic brake system for leakage. I'd build an iron-reinforced roof to guard against the possibility of a meteor. I'd also purchase a metal detector to do sweeps of my property, to guard against the possibility someone might have buried a land mine. I'd hire a detective and forensic accountant. Even though Mrs. Williams and I have been married 45 years, it is possible that she might be stashing some of my money into a Swiss bank account.Were I to take those measures, I'm sure the average person would label me as either paranoid or stupid. Why? It would take resources away from guarding against more probable threats to our security, such as burglary. While my focusing on all possible threats wouldn't be smart, it would make me a prime candidate to become a Transportation Security Administration (TSA) official. Their vision of airport security is to focus on the possible as well as the probable.It is indeed possible for an 88-year-old man crippled with debilitating arthritis to be a terrorist. It's possible that one of our Marines returning from Iraq for stateside reassignment, carrying ID and official reassignment orders, is also a member of al Qaeda ready to take out an airplane. It's possible for a mother accompanied by her four children, or a 92-year-old woman, to be "mules" paid by terrorists to bring something on board to blow up the plane. It is also possible that a pilot plans to blow his plane up with a shoe bomb. That's reason for making him take his shoes off. It's possible that a blind person carrying a cigarette lighter will give it to a terrorist accomplice to light a shoe bomb in flight. There are other possible security threats. Women's stockings and underwear, as well as men's ties and belts, can be used as garrotes for strangulation. Soda straws can be used to blow poison darts.While these are all possible threats, the question is, how probable are they? Resource expenditure on security threats just because they are possible means that those same resources cannot be spent on those far more probable. Moreover, if there were full implementation of the program to permit pilots to be armed, the more probable threats would become less so. In other words, arming pilots and some crew members would lessen a whole class of security threats.The TSA's determined opposition to passenger profiling is in itself a threat to airport security. Take their additional screening. They have every incentive to be politically correct. But suppose the TSA had to pay $1,000 to each passenger they selected for additional screening who was found to be no security threat. You can bet they'd develop a screening method that made more sense, and it would include some sort of passenger profiling, including racial profiling. And, by the way, liberals shouldn't fret, because the U.S. Supreme Court has ruled in several affirmative action cases that provided there's a compelling state interest, race can be used in decision making.It's my opinion that sensible TSA security measures would allow us to reallocate resources away from policing against possible but improbable threats to policing the far more probable source of threats -- one being our border with Mexico.

Well, I guess that depends, are you a terrorist Arabic Muslim?
No I am not an Arabic Muslim and neither is my wife.
are you a Muslim terrorist and do you wear a towel on your head?if not, maybe you should send me some photos of your wife and I'll take a lookseyhappy to participate in a good, civil discussion. Thanks
Ron, it would be an honour for man of your caliber to take a looksey at my wife.

The thing I find funny about the increased security measures in airports is this:It would be extremely simple to shape and paint a wad of C4 plastic explosive into anything you want it to look like (toothbrush, ball point pen, stapler, contact lens case, whatever) and detonate the explosives with a 9 volt battery, yet we're banning hair gel and Diet Coke from planes. Absolutely hilarious when you think about it.

and by honour, you mean degenerate scumbag. I feel ya.
got it in one :club:
The thing I find funny about the increased security measures in airports is this:It would be extremely simple to shape and paint a wad of C4 plastic explosive into anything you want it to look like (toothbrush, ball point pen, stapler, contact lens case, whatever) and detonate the explosives with a 9 volt battery, yet we're banning hair gel and Diet Coke from planes. Absolutely hilarious when you think about it.
they are also banning toothepaste etc.
No I am not an Arabic Muslim and neither is my wife.
They were probably looking for drugs or large amounts of undeclared cash then, since you fit one of the other profiles. Damn smugglers...and I of course mean plum smugglers.
got it in one :club:
I'm not nearly as dumb as I portray. I'm dummer
They were probably looking for drugs or large amounts of undeclared cash then, since you fit one of the other profiles. Damn smugglers...and I of course mean plum smugglers.
I never told you my nickname did I?
I feel bad for non-terrorist Muslims. I feel like both of them should find a new religion that's less violent...maybe Buddhism.
That was the best part
No, only your honorary Native American tribal name "Twig and Two Grapes"
and I was told that through lack of use those grapes are now raisins
Once in a while you scare the bajeezus out of me.
Once in a while you scare the bajeezus out of me.
I have the booksmarts, imagination, and overall technical ability to really cause some damage, but none of the desire to hurt innocent people, get myself on the news, or pad a body count. Just a creative thinking hobby, nothing more.

I like Carlos Mencia's outlook on this whole ethnic profiling at airports of just searching Arabs...He basically said that if he were in charge of airport security he would post pictures of the people involved in the attacks on 9/11. He said he would search anyone that was Arab.Arab: But Carlos why are you only picking on me?Carlos: Look at the pictures!! (Points to pictures of the attackers on the wall.)

In Italy a couple summers ago, this white Italian gypsy-woman walked up to me trying to sell me some hippie looking shirt. About the same time, a black guy walked past me, wearing way too nice of clothes. This made me suspicious, so I checked to see if my wallet was there. Sure enough, it was gone.I ran after that colored fella and pummelled him, but I'll be damned if he hadn't planted my wallet on that white gypsy lady. My teacher must have seen him plant it on her, because as I was beating that guy's ass he caught the lady and got my wallet back. Moral of the story: always check your wallet after you see a colored person.

In Italy a couple summers ago, this white Italian gypsy-woman walked up to me trying to sell me some hippie looking shirt. About the same time, a black guy walked past me, wearing way too nice of clothes. This made me suspicious, so I checked to see if my wallet was there. Sure enough, it was gone.I ran after that colored fella and pummelled him, but I'll be damned if he hadn't planted my wallet on that white gypsy lady. My teacher must have seen him plant it on her, because as I was beating that guy's ass he caught the lady and got my wallet back. Moral of the story: always check your wallet after you see a colored person.
you really have to start posting more

Ok, let me make some points in this argument that I feel need to be brought up. First of all George Bush is not a terrorist and we weren't "lied to" prior to going to war in Iraq. George Bush never said there was a direct link between Al'Queda and Iraq. What he did say was that members of Osama's inner circle had been in contact with key members of the Iraqi government, which was true..they met numerous times in the 1990's.(http://www.hannity.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-3288.html) (Bill Clinton was president then wasn’t he?) The thread he took was that since Iraq had a WMD program and was hostile to the US it would not be much of a stretch to envision a scenario where Iraq gave Al'Queda WMD's or money to purchase them on the black market. Second, As far as WMD's go....Iraq had them, we know Iraq had them, every country in the world (including Iraq itself) said they had them and had known about them for the previous 10 years. In addition if at any time Sadam had given complete and un fettered access to UN weapons inspectors (something he NEVER did) and complied with the 16 UN resolutions that were in place against his country he could have avoided all of this and would still be in power. That being said what we DID find in Iraq was 500 tons (that’s a MILLION pounds folks) of yellow cake uranium and 1.8 tons of enriched uranium. (primary application of enriched uranium is making nukes) Both of these items were found in a building labeled WEAPONS RESEARCH on facilities diagrams. Centrifuge parts (needed to enrich uranium) and bomb diagrams buried in the back yard of a man known as the director of Sadam's Nuclear weapons program. Dozens of artillery shells loaded with Sarin and Nerve Gas. Yes, most of the agents were somewhat degraded but do you know what degraded nerve agent does.....IT STILL KILLS YOU...It just does it slower and it takes a larger dose to do it. We are also still digging up ammo dumps across the country that contain...guess what.... chemical weapons or munitions that are intended to deliver chemical payloads. There is also a great deal of intelligence that points to several large munitions shipments that went to Syria just prior to the beginning of the ground war in GWII. Was it a mistake to go into Iraq...No. Is it a mistake to fight the war like we are now? Yes. Politicians are running the war, not soldiers. We all remember the last time that happened...it was about 40 years ago and they still haven't learned anything. Being a terrorist is not about killing people..it’s about how you kill people and why and the intent of the action. George Bush is not a terrorist because the orders he gives do not intentionally target civilians. Do they sometimes get caught in the cross fire...yes; it’s an unavoidable consequence of war. Terrorist deliberately target innocent civilians (soft targets) in order to instill terror in a population...hence the word terrorist. If anything the restraint we have used in Iraq should be commended. Need an example? Look at the city of Faluja. It is a hotbed of insurgent activity. Tactically it takes too many men to control the city and strategically it’s not that important so militarily it makes the most sense to evacuate the city and scour it from the face of the earth. Have we done that? No. Have we used tactics like we used against the Germans or the Japanese in WWII? No, if so we would have fire bombed every major city in Iraq like we did to Dresden and Tokyo. A guidance system malfunction on a smart bomb or cruse missile that causes it to over shoot its target and hit an apartment building is no less tragic but it is NOT a terrorist act. Driving a 2 1/2 ton truck loaded with explosives into the same apartment building and detonating it specifically to kill civilians is. What the war in Iraq has done is show the world who (and what) the true enemy we face today is. Fundamentalist Islam. That religion has been hijacked by the fanatical wing that truthfully believes that the world needs to be united under the guidance of the Muslim religion. In addition they also believe that anyone who does not subscribe to their beliefs (including moderate Muslims) is an infidel and should be destroyed or enslaved. Our getting out of Iraq will not make the Islamo-facists any less hostile to us. We could completely pull out of the middle east, stop our support of Israel, and divest all interests in the region and they would still hate us because of the influence our movies, media, and freedoms have over the people in their countries and because we are not Muslim. This is a battle that we will be fighting for the next 20 years and unfortunately until the moderate Islamic countries and most of Europe grow a set and are willing to confront this enemy in their midst we (and the brits) remain the lone voices railing against the enemy that everyone sees but nobody wants to acknowledge.Erik