need help with other games than nl hold 'em

Hey Guys, Lately I've realized that if i want to start making more money playing cards I'm going to need to learn to play other games. When I started playing cards, it was me and a bunch of friends saying "Hey lets all get together and play some No-Limit Texas Hold-Em" so we were all relatively new to poker. All of us built and improved our game together and basically rotaded our money around between us. A group of four or five of us took the game more seriously then the rest of the players, and this group of us now do very well in all the local home games in our area. Now im wondering how I can learn other games with out losing to much money. (I know I need to be willing to pay a little money to learn a new game) Any suggestions you all have would be appreciated. Thanks, Mitch

Get some books. I don't know if you've read much about poker, but books are a wonderful way to expand you base. Try books like Supersystem and Supersystem 2 as they cover multiple games. As for me, primarily a hold 'em player, my favorite game to play is Pot Limit Omaha. I'd suggest trying to grasp Omaha and Omaha 8 or better first as those are flop games like Hold 'Em. After that my other personal fave is 2-7 triple draw. It's another big action game (much like PL Omaha). If you have home games maybe designate one game per month to mixed games, so you can all learn at the same pace. You're ahead of the game in that you've already realized that in order to be a good card player you need to master more games than Hold 'Em. Good luck on your journey.ben

Play some low-limit 7 card stud and 7 card h/l, low-limit omaha, omaha8, all of them are on PStars. Play some Triple draw on Ultimate and Razz on Full tilt. That pretty much covers the mainstream games.

Get some books.  I don't know if you've read much about poker, but books are a wonderful way to expand you base.  Try books like Supersystem and Supersystem 2 as they cover multiple games.  As for me, primarily a hold 'em player, my favorite game to play is Pot Limit Omaha.  I'd suggest trying to grasp Omaha and Omaha 8 or better first as those are flop games like Hold 'Em.  After that my other personal fave is 2-7 triple draw.  It's another big action game (much like PL Omaha).  If you have home games maybe designate one game per month to mixed games, so you can all learn at the same pace.  You're ahead of the game in that you've already realized that in order to be a good card player you need to master more games than Hold 'Em.  Good luck on your journey.ben
But Stud is a lot less complex then Omaha...Just s thought.Dutch.

well you should start trying to get good at limit holdem. It is really a different apporach and is a good way for you to learn pot odds and try a different take on holdem. Learn to play Stud as Holdem is originally a derivation of it. Stud is a classic and if you already own SS1 then you already have one of best stud sections ever written. Get used to these games first and then you can branch off from there, good luck and have fun

Get some books.  I don't know if you've read much about poker, but books are a wonderful way to expand you base.  Try books like Supersystem and Supersystem 2 as they cover multiple games.  As for me, primarily a hold 'em player, my favorite game to play is Pot Limit Omaha.  I'd suggest trying to grasp Omaha and Omaha 8 or better first as those are flop games like Hold 'Em.  After that my other personal fave is 2-7 triple draw.  It's another big action game (much like PL Omaha).  If you have home games maybe designate one game per month to mixed games, so you can all learn at the same pace.  You're ahead of the game in that you've already realized that in order to be a good card player you need to master more games than Hold 'Em.  Good luck on your journey.ben
But Stud is a lot less complex then Omaha...Just s thought.Dutch.
Eh, that's really just a matter of opinion. I find Omaha far simpler than Stud. It's just individual preference and natural default for certain games.
Get some books. I don't know if you've read much about poker' date=' but books are a wonderful way to expand you base. Try books like Supersystem and Supersystem 2 as they cover multiple games. As for me' date=' primarily a hold 'em player' date=' my favorite game to play is Pot Limit Omaha. I'd suggest trying to grasp Omaha and Omaha 8 or better first as those are flop games like Hold 'Em. After that my other personal fave is 2-7 triple draw. It's another big action game (much like PL Omaha). If you have home games maybe designate one game per month to mixed games, so you can all learn at the same pace. You're ahead of the game in that you've already realized that in order to be a good card player you need to master more games than Hold 'Em. Good luck on your journey.ben[/quote''']But Stud is a lot less complex then Omaha...Just s thought.Dutch.
Eh, that's really just a matter of opinion. I find Omaha far simpler than Stud. It's just individual preference and natural default for certain games.
Dutch.
good point, I guess I just get stud better.Dutch.

To me stud is a much harder game to grasp, which is odd since I've been playing it since I was like 15 (I'm 26 now) but I just find many more variables in stud than a flop game like Omaha.

The reason why stud is more complicated is because hand strength is far more disguised. In Omaha or Holdem there's only a range of hands that a player could have.In stud, I've seen 3 hidden cards making a four of a kind with 4 different cards exposed. No way you can put someone on that effectively.

The reason why stud is more complicated is because hand strength is far more disguised. In Omaha or Holdem there's only a range of hands that a player could have.In stud, I've seen 3 hidden cards making a four of a kind with 4 different cards exposed. No way you can put someone on that effectively.
Agreed, and trying to remember things like how many open :spade:'s were folded when you're on a flush draw is annoying as heck.
And in hi-lo you can have some really nasty surprises since you can draw one way while your board represents the other way, or draw to a concealed scoop hand. Stud 8 is really, really hard.EDIT: Forgot to mention keeping track of all the cards you need when drawing to straights, and also looking for gap cards when playing like K-Q-T or whatever, and all your 2-pair outs to make aces-up, and people with 2 small pair making a hidden boat on the river and yeah, stud is hard.

Stud Hi is maybe my best game, but stud 8 just hasn't clicked with me. Don't know, I'm not that great at split pot games. I'm competant at Omaha 8, but I wouldn't say I'm even above average, but it is easy to win at if you know what your doing

A group of four or five of us took the game more seriously then the rest of the players, and this group of us now do very well in all the local home games in our area. You understand this has very little to do with if you have any idea how to play NL Holdem well or not, right?

i've just started playing stud hi/lo, and i've fallen in love with it. i'm a decent stud player and a decent omaha hi/lo player, and i find this game fairly easily beatable at the micro limits if you just combine concepts from both of the other games. it's tough memorizing up-cards and trying to read opponents' hands, etc., but it's definitely a crushable game like omaha hi/lo once you figure it out.to the OP, just read books and articles, and just play as much as you can. there's not really much other advice besides that. the major ones to learn are:texas hold'em (fixed, pot and no limit)omaha hold'em (fixed, pot and no limit)seven-card stud (fixed limit)omaha hi/lo (fixed, pot and no limit)stud hi/lo (fixed limit)razz (fixed limit)lowball single draw (no limit)lowball triple draw (fixed limit)good luck,aseem

I really like stud 8.It's great to have a low on 6th street, and have 2 or 3 opponents with no possible low. Like a pair KT showing or similar.Plus unlike omaha hi/lo, you can't get counterfeit on the turn or river. Your low can only get better as cards come out, not worse.-smak-

If you don't want to lose money while your initially learning new games you can always play online with play money or something. that way you can get the grasp of betting and playing without anything coming out of your own pocket.

A group of four or five of us took the game more seriously then the rest of the players, and this group of us now do very well in all the local home games in our area.  You understand this has very little to do with if you have any idea how to play NL Holdem well or not, right?
Ok, Smash. Why do you think you are better then anyone on this forum. I was seriously considering just not posting since some like you ALWAYS has to put a negative spin on a good thread. I used to respect you as you do help a lot of people on this forum, but over the last couple of weeks I've noticed that you almost always have something negative to say. I don't want a flame war, I just come on this forum to improve my game, and i dont neep people like you to put me down. To the rest of you, thanks for the good advice. I've read a pretty good number of books on poker, and I have SS1, but my brother is borrowing it right now, but I'm gonna got get it back today. I've read the whole thing but only studied the Hold 'em section so far. So I will go back and give the other sections a better look. I've also mentioned this topic to my buddies that i play with the most and they all agreed that we should start playing some other games sometimes. Thanks again to those of you who have actually been HELPFULL, Mitch.