College Football Preseason Rankings

Discuss.They are a joke. Ohio St. loses it's entire defense..but gets to be #1 because they are a "traditional powerhouse" or some bullsh*t. There should be no rankings until Week 4 at the very earliest.

Discuss.They are a joke. Ohio St. loses it's entire defense..but gets to be #1 because they are a "traditional powerhouse" or some bullsh*t. There should be no rankings until Week 4 at the very earliest.
yeahno one really cares about the rankings till like week 6 anyway

My beloved Nittany Lions are ranked 19th!?These rankings are bullshit. We were unranked at the beginning of last season and proved to everybody who the boss was (aside from Texas and USC). Looks like we'll have to do it again.They seem to forget about how incredible Derrick Williams and Justin King are. And now Paul Posluszny will head the PSU defense and dominate as much as he did last season.What horrible rankings.

I hate agreeing with Koop, but preseason rankings for college football are a steaming pile of midget dung.Best example I can think of is a few years back when Auburn ran the table and went undefeated but didn't get a shot at the championship game. They played a tougher schedule than Oklahoma by far and never got a shot at the championship because of preseason rankings making them do to much catch up while Oklahoma got into the championship game with a loss because of them being ranked at the beginning of the year.Everyone should start off on even footing, and no rankings till at least week 3 or 4.

Everyone should start off on even footing, and no rankings till at least week 3 or 4.
I agree. And if a sports magazine should happen to prognosticate and publish a preseason ranking, we should .... Seriously, rankings are basically a mirror of end of the three previous season's standings. And they are MEANINGLESS. Anyone who believes anything else needs their head examined.

I'm a die hard buckeye and i have to agree. The rankings are crap. Penn State should be up there, along with several others.I'm not sure if we should be #1 or not, but it doesn't really mean anything anyway.

Louisville is going to dismantle West Virginia in Cardinal Stadium this year. We should have won last year, but pissed it away in Blacksburg. Probably a good thing, though...WVU fans are bat-****-crazy, and we might not have made it out alive if we beat them there.

My beloved Nittany Lions are ranked 19th!?These rankings are bullshit. We were unranked at the beginning of last season and proved to everybody who the boss was (aside from Texas and USC). Looks like we'll have to do it again.They seem to forget about how incredible Derrick Williams and Justin King are. And now Paul Posluszny will head the PSU defense and dominate as much as he did last season.What horrible rankings.
Losing their QB, O-Line, and secondary may have something to do with that. Hey I'm a alum '06 and I don't think they were ranked unfairly. All they gotta do is prove them wrong, preseason rankings mean nothing.
  • 2 weeks later...
I'm a die hard buckeye and i have to agree. The rankings are crap. Penn State should be up there, along with several others.I'm not sure if we should be #1 or not, but it doesn't really mean anything anyway.
Actually, them being ranked #1 is extremely significant for all the wrong reasons. It gives them a very distinct advantage in the national title hunt just because they are more hyped than other teams. It is bullsh*t at it's best. If they and 2 other teams go undefeated, they are in the national championship game pretty much only because they got more votes in early August. It's retarded.
Actually, them being ranked #1 is extremely significant for all the wrong reasons. It gives them a very distinct advantage in the national title hunt just because they are more hyped than other teams. It is bullsh*t at it's best. If they and 2 other teams go undefeated, they are in the national championship game pretty much only because they got more votes in early August. It's retarded.
This is spot on, and I dont know how the people in charge dont realize it. This is pretty much how Auburn got screwed out of playing for the National Championship a couple years ago
So if they and two other teams go undefeated, the team that was ranked #1 pre-season shouldn't get the notch on the others? How do you determine who gets the spots then? Just about any other category is even more subjective than a collective pre-season ranking.
This is spot on, and I dont know how the people in charge dont realize it. This is pretty much how Auburn got screwed out of playing for the National Championship a couple years ago
I agree. They should have been in the national championship game.
So if they and two other teams go undefeated, the team that was ranked #1 pre-season shouldn't get the notch on the others? How do you determine who gets the spots then? Just about any other category is even more subjective than a collective pre-season ranking.I agree. They should have been in the national championship game.
That is why you don't have rankings until EVERY TEAM has played 3 or 4 or 5 games...and then you can determine who should be #1 at the time. There is not one good reason why Ohio State is ranked #1 while other teams are ranked #2 or #4 or whatever......the Auburn example is a good one, and there are many others.
This surprises you why? The traditional powers ALWAYS get preferential treatment. Every single poll in every single poll is like this. The basketball poll is just as bad where the Dukes and the UNC's of the world get all the pub.If you had Duke and a school like Southeast Missouri State play identical schedules and both finish with 20 wins and 9 losses (losing to the same teams), it would be a certainty that Duke would be in the top 10 while SEMO might get a vote or two for the Top 25. It works the same way in football. A school like Ohio State will always get the benefit of the doubt over schools without a great football program like Illinois, Kansas, Baylor, etc. It's wrong, it's unfair, and unfortunately it's all we have.

Well I think everyone reading this know the preseason polls don't mean a damn thing. I am a Buckeye fan and honestly hate that they are ranked #1 preseason because I'd rather see them pulling "upsets" if they beat the god teams they play this year (UM, PSU, Texas). Although they lost the whole defense, that offense is gonna score a LOT of points.

This surprises you why? The traditional powers ALWAYS get preferential treatment. Every single poll in every single poll is like this. The basketball poll is just as bad where the Dukes and the UNC's of the world get all the pub.If you had Duke and a school like Southeast Missouri State play identical schedules and both finish with 20 wins and 9 losses (losing to the same teams), it would be a certainty that Duke would be in the top 10 while SEMO might get a vote or two for the Top 25. It works the same way in football. A school like Ohio State will always get the benefit of the doubt over schools without a great football program like Illinois, Kansas, Baylor, etc. It's wrong, it's unfair, and unfortunately it's all we have.
Apples and oranges, basketball and football rankings are not even remotely similar.
They most certainly are and I have already proven why.
First of all in basketball you can lose a game during the week and still retain your spot in the polls, where if you take a loss in football it has a more dramatic effect on your ranking, since most teams only play 11-12 games as opposed to the 30+ they play in college basketball.Second, college basketball has playoffs, college football does not... which is where preseason rankings provide a very dramatic effect on the bowl game system. Your little podunk MO school just has to beat the other teams in it's conference and it can get a shot at all the big boys in the tournament, weather they are ranked or not. On the otherhand if same school ran the table in football and was unranked in the preseason, they would never see a national title game.It's apples to oranges because the way the finish the season is completely different, rankings dont exactly decide if you get to keep playing in basketball. In Football they have everything to do with weather or not you can make the BCS.
Well, when you have no defense whatsoever, you're bound to get left off. Seriously, Stanton can't play 22 positions.
im not sure he can play one with the way everyone else plays