Living Above My Means

For the first time in my life, I am going to have to rely on poker for income. I am moving away from August to December, and my income from my job cannot accomodate my high rolling lifestyle.Anyway, I feel that since I finally rely on poker for money, a terrible downswingn is about to ensue. So, those living off poker, please explain how you do it while keeping your brain in chekc. Thanks.

Maybe you can take the "high rolling lifestyle " down a notch for a while until you're comfortable with relying on poker for income. It'll take the sting out of a downswing that might hurt more if you had just purchased a fancy leather couch like the one "Suited Up" bought. :club:

Maybe you can take the "high rolling lifestyle " down a notch for a while until you're comfortable with relying on poker for income. It'll take the sting out of a downswing that might hurt more if you had just purchased a fancy leather couch like the one "Suited Up" bought. :club:
Hahaha. His couch is awesome. I can easily take out what I think my extra expenses from my balling lifefstyle will be from my br. Besides, knowing that I make a better hourly rate than most lawyers makes me want to live in something that is not a run down bachelor apartment.But youre right, if I hit a bad downswing, I'll be ****ed. Luckily there is no such thing as a downsing in NL (apparently), and luckily I practice super safe bankroll management.
You're moving to December?
I'll be gone til novemeber.
Hahaha. His couch is awesome. I can easily take out what I think my extra expenses from my balling lifefstyle will be from my br. Besides, knowing that I make a better hourly rate than most lawyers makes me want to live in something that is not a run down bachelor apartment.But youre right, if I hit a bad downswing, I'll be ****ed. Luckily there is no such thing as a downsing in NL (apparently), and luckily I practice super safe bankroll management.I'll be gone til novemeber.
Cuidado.- Jordan

Well, I've grown accustomed to certain High Rolling lifestyle and I'm not really even rich by any means. I guess I'm better off than your average college student, but when you've become accustomed to a certain lifestyle, it's difficult to go back to a more normal one. It's a lot more pressure on you playing when you're relying on it to pay the bills, but it will also motivate you to play your A game and play more often as well, so it's a positive and a negative at the same time, depends on the way you look at it and approach it.So, yeah get a nice place that you are comfortable living in. Try not to spend too excessively and buy too many things you don't need. I do this anyways though, I can manage a bankroll pretty well, but money management has never been a strong point. There's not all that much to it, just try and be more aware of how much you're spending on things you don't need and eventually you won't be doing it anymore or at least as often.

Well, I've grown accustomed to certain High Rolling lifestyle and I'm not really even rich by any means. I guess I'm better off than your average college student, but when you've become accustomed to a certain lifestyle, it's difficult to go back to a more normal one. It's a lot more pressure on you playing when you're relying on it to pay the bills, but it will also motivate you to play your A game and play more often as well, so it's a positive and a negative at the same time, depends on the way you look at it and approach it.So, yeah get a nice place that you are comfortable living in. Try not to spend too excessively and buy too many things you don't need. I do this anyways though, I can manage a bankroll pretty well, but money management has never been a strong point. There's not all that much to it, just try and be more aware of how much you're spending on things you don't need and eventually you won't be doing it anymore or at least as often.
Sounds like the advice I need. Thanks jay.

Luckily there is no such thing as a downsing in NL (apparently), and luckily I practice super safe bankroll managementThere isn't???? Strange, I didn't get the memo. :club:

Luckily there is no such thing as a downsing in NL (apparently), and luckily I practice super safe bankroll managementThere isn't???? Strange, I didn't get the memo. :club:
Yeah, I'm way past due to crash hard. Ive had like 2 losing sessions out of 20 since I've started playing nl.

I found that when I started playing to support myself I would always look at my bank account and poker account balances, like 200 times a day. I was soo worried about getting ahead early on that I played bad/scared. But after I realized what was going on I sat down and wrote down my finances for each month, and figured out that I had more than enough and it really eased the tension on my brain. Now the only times I check my balances are after cash outs and bills, just to make sure everything is Kosher. I guess you just need to budget a lil more and cut back a lil bit, which was hard for me at first too, but its easy to get used to. Hope this helps a lil bit.JEFF

I found that when I started playing to support myself I would always look at my bank account and poker account balances, like 200 times a day. I was soo worried about getting ahead early on that I played bad/scared. But after I realized what was going on I sat down and wrote down my finances for each month, and figured out that I had more than enough and it really eased the tension on my brain. Now the only times I check my balances are after cash outs and bills, just to make sure everything is Kosher. I guess you just need to budget a lil more and cut back a lil bit, which was hard for me at first too, but its easy to get used to. Hope this helps a lil bit.JEFF
This reminds me a lot of a passage I read from 'fooled by randomnes'. It talks about how if someone playing the stock market watches their daily rates, they will go crazy. Apparently the -ve swings effect or minds a lot more than the +ve ones.
This reminds me a lot of a passage I read from 'fooled by randomnes'. It talks about how if someone playing the stock market watches their daily rates, they will go crazy. Apparently the -ve swings effect or minds a lot more than the +ve ones.
I wish i could know the results of my play until the end of the month.It'd make things a lot easier.Im depressed when i have a down da. I cant imagine how down i'd be on myself if i was down for a whole week, let alone a month. I'd probably freak out. It's why i started accounting for rakeback due and bonus' cleared when i tally up my daily totals.
Its easy. Just get money in with big hands, and fold not so big ones. Actually, stox's videos helped me out a ton.
Stox's videos?? What is that?

I remember sitting down in a live 30 game with all the money I owned on the table. I was running bad, the worst ive ever ran, and I had just started living on my own sort of. If I had lost my buy in, I was fully prepared to pack my **** and go home. Luckily I broke even this day, and came back the next day and made ~100BB. That was back when I didnt handle money that well. If you just keep check on your BR and your situation you should be able to keep yourself out of spots like that.My BR is more important than anything else. I try and keep it healthy.Im not sure what you're really worried about anyway, cant you figure out how much you need to work via PT?BTW, i came out of the wood work. ill probably never post again.I love Actuary! He tought me how to play LHE.

Screech I highly recommend budgeting and writting down how much it costs you to live. Trust me it will take so much pressure off your head if you know exactly how much it costs you to live.

this could be a completly out of the box answer but could help you emmensly. Can you cook for yourself? I ask this becuase when I was living on my own and playing poker to supplement income i found being able to properly plan menus, cook ahead and buy food on budget helped tons. Eating out even though yummy , is -EV. I have more to say on this subject PM me if you'd like