Why Bother Playing The Wsop?

Daniel, You've mentioned numerous times that you hate the fact the WSOP is turning into the WSONLH. Why bother playing? I mean I can imagine you'd want to play in the main event. But isn't it a waste of time to play every crappy $1500 dollar buy in NLH tournament they throw out there?

Well, because of the history involved with the WSOP... I love that kind of thing so it's hard for me to pass up.
Do you think that the buy-in for the main event should be increased? If I had the money to enter something like that, I would want at least a shot at winning, which I don't think I would get playing in a field of 8000 players, even the best players in the world are 1000/1 to win, which is big odds for $10,000. It is a massive pay-out of course, but the chances of actually doing well is difficult. But I also think more Omaha should be there. But holdem is the most played game, so its catering for demand.

It's still "the thing to do." And if your looking to beat the biggest fields for the biggest prize pools, only way to go is the WSOP.

Daniel, You've mentioned numerous times that you hate the fact the WSOP is turning into the WSONLH. Why bother playing? I mean I can imagine you'd want to play in the main event. But isn't it a waste of time to play every crappy $1500 dollar buy in NLH tournament they throw out there?
Ever shoot fish in a barrel?

When you talk about great poker players, generally the first thing mentioned is how many bracelets they have. It's probably a lot of ego, but if I were in DN's position, I'd be playing every event.

I think in order to keep the Main Event as close to what it has been in the past, with all the best players vying for bragging rights, they should increase the :club: buy in. The original but in was 10,000 so in terms of today they should at least increase the buy in to 30,000. I mean I like the fact that anyone can win it, but also it would be nice to have the WSOP ME as the holy grail of poker that not necessarily every player can take a shot at, rather playerswho can afford it or guys who really are taking a shot.

except there's also a 50k buyin 3 day h.o.r.s.e. event this year. i assume tourney of the year for DN :club:
I think in order to keep the Main Event as close to what it has been in the past, with all the best players vying for bragging rights, they should increase the :club: buy in. The original but in was 10,000 so in terms of today they should at least increase the buy in to 30,000. I mean I like the fact that anyone can win it, but also it would be nice to have the WSOP ME as the holy grail of poker that not necessarily every player can take a shot at, rather playerswho can afford it or guys who really are taking a shot.
i agree...

I think Omaha is making a comeback...particularly the PL variety, due to its popularity in Europe and the most turnover from NL HE regulars.

I think Omaha is making a comeback...particularly the PL variety, due to its popularity in Europe and the most turnover from NL HE regulars.
i have also been noticing a strong pl omaha comeback...in new orleans for the circuit event, it seemed that the majority of the high rollers(including matusow, and hachem) spent most of their time on the pl omaha table..i think another factor was the size of their bankrolls vs. the size of the average guy in the poker room that week...they were prob. also just looking to play the game with the biggest pots...

Great players seem to be measured by how many bracelets they have, and you can't get any unless you play in the WSOP. It sounds like Daniel is also after the Player of the Year award, which would be a great accomplishment.