• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few thoughts:At the prodding of several of my close friends, including Barack Obama, I've started in on this series for the first time.I would say that I was hooked by the middle of episode 2, and Omar hadn't even shown up yet.There is no doubt that this is a good show.-- tangent --I've long thought that the most stressful job in the world would be an undercover DEA agent, and this show is just reinforcing that. I have a close close friend from high school who is an undercover DEA agent who only works internationally. He was undercover in Bolivia, doing drug buys, and he's currently in Afghanistan working the international heroin trade until May. His wife is smokin' hot and he has 4 kids, but he always looks super gross, rarely takes a shower, and never shaves. I haven't ever told him that I feel like he's being an irresponsible husband and father to continue working his current job, since every time he leaves, I assume he will be killed.-- /tangent --I'm currently in season 1, episode 10, and I just had to mention two things that I didn't like.#1 - Why all the gay characters? There are very few openly homosexual people in the general public (something like 4%), and yet, this show has a bunch of sub-plots with gay people. It seemed really pushed and unrealistic, ESPECIALLY with Omar. There is no ****ing way that anyone in the game would get any kind of respect from anyone in urban Baltimore while being openly gay. It's just retarded.#2 - When Greggs is in the backseat in episode 11 and she's barking out "since. we. are. going. northbound. on. North. Church. Street. near. Vine., yo' let's be stoppin' somewheres and gets me some cigs, yo'." That dude would have turned around and shot her in the face immediately, not just turned up the radio. The whole scene was poorly written and poorly acted.This is going to be a running commentary, and I'm not looking back through this thread, except between seasons.

Omar isn't respected, he's feared. For good reasons. Are there more gay people than Kima and Omar? Didn't find that odd at all.
I disagree. It's implied or even mentioned that he has been in the game for many years. He wouldn't be a part of the game at all unless there was respect coming from someone.Oh, just Kima and Omar? So like 20% of the main characters?
I didn't think Kima's scene was bad in anyway, either way the plan was for the other two guys to shoot. And crackhead bitches say all sorts of stupid stuff. He was never going to try kill her.
You should watch it again, her delivery is ridiculous.Oh, one more thing. These guys are terrible at following people/undercover work. They have their van parked right outside the strip club and then the stripper girl walks out and climbs in the van on multiple occasions? *eyeroll*When they put the GPS on D'Angelo's Taurus, they were sitting like 3 spots away, and then didn't move. The GPS transponder was LIT UP(!) on the roof of the car and two guys in suits were sitting a few spots from D. Please note: The show in general seems to be very realistic, so I'm just nitpicking.My favorite characters from Season 1:McNulty (This dude is a good actor)DanielsStringerBubblesWallace (his death scene was amazing. He did a good job.)D'AngeloOmarI'm assuming that Omar and Avon have much bigger roles in the rest of the series and I'll start liking them both a lot more.

Shut it, Shake.I just finished Season 2. I officially love this show. I'm super happy that I get 3 more seasons.1st: LOL at your face Slapstick. (no offense) You KNEW what was coming and you were still defending the amount of gay characters!? I mean, some of the first new characters introduced in season 2 were a lesbian couple that robs drug dealers. Seriously? Two women would be far-fetched enough... so far-fetched, that I'm close to 100% sure that there has never been a gang that robbed criminals made up of only two women in the history of the world. But hey, let's make 'em gay, since this is already so realistic.2nd: I'm suuuuuuper sad that Frank got wacked by the Greeks, I really liked him.My list of favorite characters from Season 2:Frank SobotkaDanielsMcNultyHolly from The OfficeBunkStringerBubblesProp JoeNick SobotkaMy running (and changing) favorite characters overall:DanielsMcNultyFrank SobotkaStringerBubblesProp JoeLester Freamon (I have just really fallen for this dude. He reminds me of Morgan Freeman, and I can't help but like him, even though he's almost non-existent in the 2nd season.)Bunk? (If he steps it up a little in season 3, he'll probably be on this list.People I hate:ZiggyHercEllis Carver

brvy, you're way out of control in here. lock it up dude.
eyeroll. I still love the show. It just has some mild flaws.

because you rolled your eyes at me, i will point out why you are again making a fool of yourself.

#1 - Why all the gay characters? There are very few openly homosexual people in the general public (something like 4%), and yet, this show has a bunch of sub-plots with gay people. It seemed really pushed and unrealistic, ESPECIALLY with Omar. There is no ****ing way that anyone in the game would get any kind of respect from anyone in urban Baltimore while being openly gay. It's just retarded.
omar gets respect because he is amazing at what he does. and in fact, its obvious that avon and stringer underestimate him because he is gay. so your comments serve no purpose and say more about how you feel about homosexuality than anything about the show.
#2 - When Greggs is in the backseat in episode 11 and she's barking out "since. we. are. going. northbound. on. North. Church. Street. near. Vine., yo' let's be stoppin' somewheres and gets me some cigs, yo'." That dude would have turned around and shot her in the face immediately, not just turned up the radio. The whole scene was poorly written and poorly acted.
it's almost like you didnt understand anything about the plan that stringer and avon came up with to get rid of that snitch orlando. they knew he was a snitch and could be wearing a wire, so shooting her himself would be the worst thing he could do. the plan was for him to do the small time for trying to sell fake cocaine, while the shooters remain unidentified. please dont say stupid things about the best show ever.
Oh, one more thing. These guys are terrible at following people/undercover work. They have their van parked right outside the strip club and then the stripper girl walks out and climbs in the van on multiple occasions? *eyeroll*
i'm sure you know more about police work than all the actual police officers and former detectives that worked on the show. thanks for that.

I think I remember reading that Michael K. Williams, the actor who plays Omar, is actually gay as well. And his scar is certainly real. You'd never think Michael K. Williams was gay the same as you'd never guess a guy like Omar is gay, but they are. Anyway it's not a major theme to the show. Across the final 3 seasons there's only one new character I can think of who's gay -- Snoop. Season 2 with the Sobotkas was a bit of a one-off, which you probably guessed since you've seen the season finale. I really loved it though. But seasons 3 and 4 are the real height of the show. Keep updating us with your thoughts, it's almost like watching it vicariously.

omar gets respect because he is amazing at what he does. and in fact, its obvious that avon and stringer underestimate him because he is gay. so your comments serve no purpose and say more about how you feel about homosexuality than anything about the show.
This issue has nothing to do with my personal feelings about homosexuality. In this case, your ASSUME(tions) about my views of homosexuality are only making an ass out of you.I love this show. I think it's wonderful. I also have no problems at all with homosexuals.
it's almost like you didnt understand anything about the plan that stringer and avon came up with to get rid of that snitch orlando. they knew he was a snitch and could be wearing a wire, so shooting her himself would be the worst thing he could do. the plan was for him to do the small time for trying to sell fake cocaine, while the shooters remain unidentified.
You are absolutely right, he wouldn't have killed her because he knew the plan. In fact, I wrote that post while watching the episode, and prior to the ending. It just annoyed me to death, so I posted on it.However, from her perspective, she would have been dead if the ambush wasn't in the plan. Her character played it really stupidly, and I don't think she would have done that in real life. Greggs is too smart to be so stupid.
i'm sure you know more about police work than all the actual police officers and former detectives that worked on the show. thanks for that.
haha. You're right. It had nothing to do with the shot or filming. "Actual police officers and former detectives" normally park their super conspicuous van right outside the front door and have their undercovers jump in and out in plain sight.
I think I remember reading that Michael K. Williams, the actor who plays Omar, is actually gay as well. And his scar is certainly real. You'd never think Michael K. Williams was gay the same as you'd never guess a guy like Omar is gay, but they are. Anyway it's not a major theme to the show. Across the final 3 seasons there's only one new character I can think of who's gay -- Snoop.
Oh my holy hell. There is another one coming!? My goodness. I suppose if he's friends with Omar it would make sense, we shall see.
Oh my holy hell. There is another one coming!? My goodness. I suppose if he's friends with Omar it would make sense, we shall see.
yes i can see that you have no problem with homosexuals. although i'm sure you'll claim to have been joking somehow.
yes i can see that you have no problem with homosexuals. although i'm sure you'll claim to have been joking somehow.
My only issue is the wildly unproportional amount in relation to real life, especially openly in the drug underworld.Suited. Give it up. I'm not ripping on the show. Just say I'm right, and we'll move on.
i admit it. I'm sorry. you're right. I love you.
Apology accepted, Brother. I love you, too.

There was so many incorrect assumptions in that post, I lost interest because of all the work involved.

yeah brv, I think your iowa is showing.

Oh and there is one more gay character, it's a just a bit more subtle.
turtleneck sweater in the bar?

Kima's shooting: Orlando was a pussy and would never have pulled a trigger on her or anyone else. Savino was concentrating more on getting Orlando to the "zone" to take care of business and didn't give Kima much of a thought. This partly conveys a large misogynist streak that runs over the entire series. There is no way Savino would think Kima was wired or even that she's a cop. Any confusion is generated largely on broken comms, misdirections (purposeful and otherwise) and factors that nobody knew would be in playGayness: Nobody is going to credit you or me with knowing the demographics of the Baltimore (or any big city) drug trade. I have met some tough gay people who could crush me like a bug and we've all seen other gay people portrayed in movies who are just as capable of any violence or action as any straight person. And with a cast as big as the Wire has, having a handful of gay characters in prominence is just reality.