no more dry spell, hellmuth is champeeeen

Eh, I'm not too impressed. The players he beat play 'correct' tradional poker. Tighter games and better, predictable hands over the 'internet' or 'new' style player with the looser hands and calls/raises.  Phil is great with the traditional players, but he seems to not think with any other stratagy.
Men Nguyen, Paul Phillips and Antonio Esfandiari play predictable, traditional poker? HAHA, thats the funniest thing ive heard in a while. These are probibly the most non-traditional and unpredictable players in that whole tournement.Actually, the more predictable and solid players seem to have done the best in this tournement, considering Chris and Phil were the top two players, and TJ was also up there.
Ender hit it right on the nose. Many liken Esfandiari to a Gus style player. Men is crafty as hell, and Paul Phillips is far from predictable. Saying that he only beat traditional players is bogus. On top of that, who cares about the style of play! He could've faced Harrington three times for all I care, those guys are all pros. Beating a field of pros in Heads Up poker is an enormous accomplishment. Many players wanted to win this title more than anything, so give Phil some credit.I don't like the man, but congrats to him. You kicked some ass and finally got another win under your belt. Well done.
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My only question is if he is so good heads up, how did he get schooled against Annie Duke in the World Series Champions of Champions event (or whatever it was called). I guess he got lucky not to draw Annie, or he would have lost.

My only question is if he is so good heads up, how did he get schooled against Annie Duke in the World Series Champions of Champions event (or whatever it was called).  I guess he got lucky not to draw Annie, or he would have lost.
Only reason was that annie kept getting hands that had phil's dominated. She got lucky.
My only question is if he is so good heads up, how did he get schooled against Annie Duke in the World Series Champions of Champions event (or whatever it was called).  I guess he got lucky not to draw Annie, or he would have lost.
He played very good poker and made some incredible lay downs against her. He even called her for two pair when he had top pair. She is good but she was hitting cards. He could only lay down top pair so many times. Here is a wager let them play heads up 10 times (heck make it a weekly thing) i will put my money on Phil and you on Annie everytime. You can send me the check weekly.
:shock: That's brilliant. You are a true student of the game. :roll:
I guess he was lucky she wasn't playing him heads up for those 9 WSOP events he won over the years too right? Guess it helps that she hasn't even made 9 final tables in wsop events.

Not to be a douche -- but to clarify:The NHUPC was not so much NBC covering a poker event, but NBC creating a poker event to film. The tournament didn't exist until they decided to create it so that they could test the waters of poker broadcasting. Also, I think Daniel even offered the idea that the broadcast will end up similar to PGA coverage. I guess we'll see!It should be great TV. The format is perfect, and there are a ton of big names. I think it's not live because NBC didn't really know what to expect or how it should be done, having little experience, and having created a fairly unique format. If the ratings are high and NBC bites, I'm sure we'll see a bit of a revolution in the coverage of poker events, for the better.

It should be great TV.  The format is perfect, and there are a ton of big names.  
True enough, and I think the comparison to the NCAA tournament is an apt one here.That said, I would've like to see one of the dark horses--John Myung in particular, though one of the "celebrities" might've made for good TV as well--make a decent run into the tourney. Part of the magic of the NCAAs is that there's always that one Cinderella team that makes it deeper than they have any right to, and I would've like to see some of that from one of said dark horses.Absent that, though, I'm very curious to see how NBC ends up doing the coverage. I don't think anyone expected the matches to generally go as long as they did, so we'll see how this plays out on TV.

The only way they could televise a whole tournament live would be to do it like they do Golf.But they're nowhere near the time where they're going to give 3 or 4 hours a day for 4 days to a poker tournament.So they have to film it like a documentary, edit it up and then show it at a later time.I mean, some final tables can go 10 hours +, they're never going to be able to do justice to that.-smak-

congrats phil!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!looks like i won't have such a hard time defending you over in the poker player profile section from now on :D

I have to agree with suited_up here. I can remember at least three hands where there was a good flop where Phil was dominated but still was able to lay it down. The hand where he finally went out he had to take a stand. He was getting second-bested the whole match with her. A monkey could have played Annie's cards heads up and won the match. In fact, prior to the heads up match, she did play like a monkey.

Phil Hellmuth was is and will be forever one of the BEST poker players alive.Great to see him get some hardware to silence the haters. The guy's emotional, and sometimes takes it too far, but that's his personality and like someone said before it's good for TV and it's damn good for poker.There is no doubt that this year Phil will be the first player to break the 9 WSOP bracelet pack and emerge, undisputed, as one of history's greatest players, ever. Period.And if you don't like his antics, tough. But don't hate on a playa, because Phil can PLAY!.word.And as for the Tournament of Champions, Annie Duke hit a two-outer against Howard to even make it to heads up and if you saw Phil's play during that event, it was pure Phil, absolutely impeccable.Like Phil says "If luck weren't involved, I'd win every hand"When I watch him and see the reads he makes, it's easy to believe that.

I have to agree with suited_up here. I can remember at least three hands where there was a good flop where Phil was dominated but still was able to lay it down. The hand where he finally went out he had to take a stand. He was getting second-bested the whole match with her. A monkey could have played Annie's cards heads up and won the match. In fact, prior to the heads up match, she did play like a monkey.
I was just making fun at Phil, relax I know he is way better than Annie, I mean way better. If they played the same final table 100 more times, I would bet that she doesn't win anymore of those, or if she does, she will have the fewest victories out of everyone there, including Raymer.I've actually played against Annie before and Howard and Juanda, and Siedel and Ben Affleck :-)
I've actually played against Annie before and Howard and Juanda, and Siedel and Ben Affleck :-)
My friend has played with Howard and Annie before. It was actually funny, he was st Foxwoods during a WPT qualifier or something, and during a break they sat down at his low-limit table (Either 1-3 or 2-4 Limit Hold Em). As he told it, "One hand, Howard bets out, and everyone folds. The next hand, Annie bets out, and everyone folds. The next hand, I bet out, and I get called. Clearly I'm not being afforded the same level of respect as Howard and Annie."
Phil Hellmuth was is and will be forever one of the BEST poker players alive.
correction: one of the best hold'em players alive. he is known to have lots of weaknesses in other games, all of his bracelets are in hold'em. this, along with his ego, are some of the reasons other pros dont respect him as much.

The best part about it was that he smoked Paul Phillips on his way to victory :D . Paul has made his dislike for Phil well known and having Phil beat him was cool. I've been starting to like Phil more lately since I read "Bad Beats and Lucky Draws". I can't wait to se him on TILT this week. The previews show a hand where Phil has KQ and Everest has KT. The board is KKQx at the turn. I want to see how this one ends.There is one undeniable fact. When Hellmuth is playing on TV, hate him or love him, you're gonna watch. :wink:

correction: one of the best hold'em players alive. he is known to have lots of weaknesses in other games, all of his bracelets are in hold'em. this, along with his ego, are some of the reasons other pros dont respect him as much.
Thats just bad judgment. Did you not look at this link?http://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/player.php?a=r&n=117So many high finishes in Omaha, Omaha8, and even 2-7 draw. Just because his WSOP bracelets are all hold'em doesn't mean he can't play other games. Try having some idea as to what you're talking about.
r...i...g...h..t. $ 1,000 Omaha Hi/Lo2003 L.A. Poker Classic, Los Angeles 1st $ 55,485 $ 5,000 Omaha Hi-Lo Split Eight or Better32nd World Series of Poker (WSOP) 2001, Las Vegas 2nd $ 103,785 $ 5,000 Deuce to Seven Draw24th World Series of Poker (WSOP) 1993, Las Vegas 2nd $ 72,500 to name a few.