What would you do?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do?

• Call
    • Fold
    • Raise $10 (pot sized raise)
    • Raise $25
    • Raise all in

I said 'call' in the thread below but nobody agrees with me. I admit that I'm a donkey, but let's see if I get any support.$100 NL holdemYou have AA UTG and limp. All fold to button, who raises $5, blinds fold. You and button both have $100 stacks. Button has tight preflop raising standards and plays predictably post-flop. You have only been at the table for a few orbits and won a few small pots postflop without showdown.

I said 'call' in the thread below but nobody agrees with me. I admit that I'm a donkey, but let's see if I get any support.Of course you will, from other donkeys.Quit playing holdem now. Your ego is too involved for you to ever be any good at it.good luck.

I said 'call' in the thread below but nobody agrees with me. I admit that I'm a donkey, but let's see if I get any support.Of course you will, from other donkeys.Quit playing holdem now. Your ego is too involved for you to ever be any good at it.good luck.
QFT
I already quit and it has nothing to do with ego. But people who are as good as you think you are don't usually go around telling off other people.Good Luck
I said 'call' in the thread below but nobody agrees with me. I admit that I'm a donkey, but let's see if I get any support.$100 NL holdemYou have AA UTG and limp. All fold to button, who raises $5, blinds fold. You and button both have $100 stacks. Button has tight preflop raising standards and plays predictably post-flop. You have only been at the table for a few orbits and won a few small pots postflop without showdown.
Let's go back a step and talk about limping with aces to start with. Are your raises getting too much respect? I'm inclined to raise with more hands in that case, not to limp with my big hands.
Let's go back a step and talk about limping with aces to start with. Are your raises getting too much respect? I'm inclined to raise with more hands in that case, not to limp with my big hands.
Nah the limp isn't atrocious UTG provided the table is aggressive enough to virtually guarantee a raise. But just smooth calling a 5x BB raise w/ aces is atrocious. I don't advocate the limp UTG always but its worth a shot sometimes.

Limping with aces is no good imo, leaves way to many chances to lose with them and when you do come over the top hard on people after limping they pretty much know what you have. I feel much better putting in a small to medium raise at least, and then getting into it with someone who re-raises me. Depend or your table image though I guess, but the last thing I would want with aces is getting 6 callers all limping into a pot

Nah the limp isn't atrocious UTG provided the table is aggressive enough to virtually guarantee a raise. But just smooth calling a 5x BB raise w/ aces is atrocious. I don't advocate the limp UTG always but its worth a shot sometimes.
I find the limp & re-raise with AA or KK to be pretty transparent. I feel that if I limp re-raise with those hands, I need to do it with other hands as well (e.g., AK occassionally), which is taking a big risk.

I already quit and it has nothing to do with ego. But people who are as good as you think you are don't usually go around telling off other people.Right, because good players are modest, right?Ego again.You can stop anytime now.good luck

I already quit and it has nothing to do with ego. But people who are as good as you think you are don't usually go around telling off other people.Right, because good players are modest, right?Ego again.You can stop anytime now.good luck
People who have skills and are confident in their abilities can prove it with their actions without disrespecting others.I just like analyzing hands, as I did mathematically on the other thread. So, if you want to have a strategy discussion, let's have it.Good luck.
I find the limp & re-raise with AA or KK to be pretty transparent. I feel that if I limp re-raise with those hands, I need to do it with other hands as well (e.g., AK occassionally), which is taking a big risk.
Very true. But we aren't talking about the greatest of players here. Honestly I rarely do it but sometimes it can be +EV. As for doing it with other hands well that can happen provided we have solid reads on our opponents and can do this w/ TT or AK.

Limp calling is not the least bit atrocious heads up... say your button is LAG and will CB regardless of flop when checked to him... the smoothcall is disguising the strength of your hand immensily. Limp-reraising from UTG might be the most transparent play in poker. You're simply giving the button an opportunity to get away from his hand by making a massive reraise... and you look like you want a call even worse by the min reraise to price him in. This will set alarms off in even a semi-savvy players mind, and he'll subsequently slow down on the flop even with a piece. Limp calling widens the range of hands the button can put you on... lets see.. small/medium pairs, Q 10 s, KJs, sometimes KQo, AJo.... if the button hits TPTK he's going to have a tough time slowing down on the turn if a blank hits and you haven't shown much strength. On a safe board I might even slowplay this to the turn if I put the button on something I dominate.... if he hits one of his 5 outs on the turn for 2 pair so be it.... I'm using my mathematical advantage on the flop to take a calculated risk. Limp calling in a multiway pot is obviously atrocious.... but heads up theres no way you're gonna get pegged for AA. I've stacked people countless times with this exact play.

I agree with the poster directly above me. Based on the way OP describes the button player there's very little problem with flat calling this players raise. OP basically gave the answer away IMO by providing us with all this info. Reraising this is missing a BIG opportunity. Sure, youre going to lose some big pots with AA if you flat call here however youre going to win more often than you won't...especially if you KNOW that the button has a tight range and is predictable after the flop.You flat call because there's a very good chance you've got button dominated. If the flop comes KQJ, it's not impossible to get off the hand. You've invested $5. Easy fold if trouble comes. However if the flop comes K 9 5, or any other combination of unexciting cards youre in a position to win a fairly sizeable pot, especially in $100 NL. Maybe Smash is playing $500 NL where folding TPTK to a raise is easy and there's not a lot of implied odds for AA as an overpair, however in the $100 NL games I've played, it's not uncommon for someone to lose their hundo with TPTK.

However if the flop comes K 9 5, or any other combination of unexciting cards youre in a position to win a fairly sizeable pot, especially in $100 NL.
How do you know you didn't run into KK instead of just AK?
or 99 or K9s and your read is not so good....IF THE BUTTON IS AS TIGHT AS THE READ SAYS...HE'S NOT PAYING US OFF AND WE ARE MORE LIKELY TO LOSE A BIG POT THAN HE IS.GET IT YET!yes, we probably win this hand no matter how we play.But we drastically increase the risk of losing a lot of chips by slow playing, while harldy increasing the opportunity for a substantial score.Please. We're not trapping a maniac here.So...- Either the read is not so good and we allow 55/99/K9/// to see the flop (what was the flop..well you get the point)...or- the read was Dead on, and tightie aint paying us off anyway. Case 1: we risk losing huge to flopped hands (yes, always arisk) but if you charge properly you will recoup in the long runCase 2: we hardly ever make more by slow playing agianst a tighty vs all the times we end up letting him make the best hand..and paying him off more than he ever would us..no spell check soory

I knew people would actually come back saying what about K9, 99, 55...what flop are you guys looking for with AA? And the OP didn't say the button was a 'tightie'. He said he plays predictably post flop. That doesn't specify TAG v. Tight/passive. I agree we aren't getting paid off huge by this guy but most LAG players aren't paying us off huge either. What it comes down to for me is what this guy's going to do if we reraise...he's going to fold unless he has KK and even then he's spooked into playing it cautiously.

You know, something else that needs to be mentioned here in favor of reraising is that the flop doesn't necessarily need to come down poorly for us in order for it to be a bad move to just flat call. Say for example the button holds QQ (which is almost certain to call a raise that isn't totally out of line) and the flop comes A-K-x. A straightforward/tight player is likely to put on the brakes now when facing action from you. Probably even if just a K fell. Likewise if the flop comes something like 9-8-7. The point here is that flat calling the button raise here lets him get away cheaply from his dominated big hands that could stand to call a limp re-raise but can't stand a flop that doesn't hit them hard.The other thing to consider is that you are out of position, and if the flop comes scary for you (something like Q-J-10), you put yourself to a hard decision about getting away from your rockets if you face too much action, unsure of whether or not you're beat or if you're just getting the pot taken away from you by AQ or KQ. Just because someone is straightforward doesn't mean that they won't be aggressive in position with a hand that might be behind but has a lot of outs to catch up. Plus, someone can be playing straightforwardly on a disturbing board and still have it look like they have a stronger hand than they actually do. Being out of position when this happens really sucks.

whats it matter if he has KK and we slow played it? If we fast play it and we get all in preflop, the poker fairy isnt going to stop him from hitting his set.Also, i think the posts in this thread teach us one thing:Limpin in EP with AA is probably the incorrect move, unless you're going to make the same play semi-regularly with a lesser hand so that you dont send up a flag to KK/QQ and the board comes 9 7 2, and they still put on the breaks because you l/rr