Pleased Don't Give Kobe The Mvp

I think when it's all said and done, Lebron will have one of the best careers of any NBA player ever. Personally, I think he can reach the level which Jordan has reached, as long as he can win some championships. He is the most physically gifted basketball player I've ever seen. Freakish athleticism and a high basketball IQ just usually don't go together, but it does with Lebron. Once Lebron gets a consistent jumpshot, he will dominate in the NBA. That's the only chink in his armor right now, but it's already getting a lot better.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Without Cassel Brand is the same guy he has always been.
You mean he is one of the least recognised big men in the game.Brands league rankings...24.7 ppg (11th)10.0 rpg (7th)2.54 bpg (5th)52.6 fg% (7th) I call that a model of consistancy that most teams would love (except the Bulls) to be able to build a team around. Sure an experienced PG helps, they help any team. When was the last time the Clippers were favored to get out of the first round, something neither Lebron or Kobe's teams are likely to do?Sure Kobe lead the league in scoring as is in the top 10 in steals, he is also 2nd in technical fouls and also had more turovers per game than steals, kind of negates his defensive value that people seem to love to harp on.
The true MVP is Elton Brand. The guy has been the rock the Clippers have leaned on all season to be where they are, a team to be dealt with in the playoffs. Something they have not been for long time.Kobe's rebounds and assists are down from previous years... ballhogs shouldn't get MVP. LeBron is improved, but up until the last few weeks he was about the weakest 4th quarter preformer in the league. He might be over that hump now, but for body of work for the entire season Nash and Brand should be the top 2 names for MVP.
You are wrong...He is way better than most in the clutch. Getting a teammate an open shot by drawing a double team and dishing it is just as effective as taking the shot yourself. It's actually better than forcing up a shot over a double team.
Kobe is a better player than Dirk......but I'm not so sure about Lebron. He's a better pure scorer....but I don't think he's NEAR as good of a passer (Lebron has more assists AND less turnovers) or rebounder (Lebron has more boards).....and I really don't know about defense quite frankly.....Kobe has more steals..Lebron has more blocks.....just because Kobe scores a ton of points every game because he doesn't have much help doesn't automatically make him a better player than Lebron, who at least somewhat works with his teammates on the offensive side of the ball...at the expense of his numbers perhaps. As an overall basketball player, I'd give the nod to Lebron. And don't bring up the rings Kobe has with Shaq....I could be the second option to Shaq in his prime and take home three rings. (of course..not really...but you get the idea. Lebron would do the exact same thing...and perhaps not be so selfish and drive Shaq away and maybe get even more than three rings??)
Koop, I agree with you for the most part, but you have to look away from the numbers to compare Kobe and Lebron's defensive abilities. If you watch the games, Kobe is a far superior on the ball defender, meaning he alters more shots and is better at preventing his counterpart from scoring. I think that is the big difference between the two when it comes to defense.
Guest Guest

Look at the cavs playoff game Lebron dominates in the first quarter scoring at will and then when they start trapping and double teaming he starts hitting the open man Kobe would keep shooting

the above is me :club:
That's because he has NO ONE to pass to. Did you see Donyell Marshall in the first playoff game. Please, let's not even pretend that the Cavs would be as bad as the Lakers without Kobe and Lebron, Kobe has carried a team in which he starts with 4 bench players on any other team (except for MAYBE Odom, on some teams).
Guest Guest

Odum starts for most teams in the league except maybe the pistons and spurs, he is a nightmare matchup for any defender it's just they (meaning Kobe) never gives him the ball.

Kobe certainly had an MVP-esque outing tonight. The Lakers didn't do anything without him. And he completely dominated the same Raja Bell he dismissed as being unimportant a couple months ago....Oh, wait.

That's because he has NO ONE to pass to. Did you see Donyell Marshall in the first playoff game. Please, let's not even pretend that the Cavs would be as bad as the Lakers without Kobe and Lebron, Kobe has carried a team in which he starts with 4 bench players on any other team (except for MAYBE Odom, on some teams).
point taken although i really think Kobe defangs odom with his game - if odom gets to handle the ball he's an all star
Yeah, he sure torched the Suns last night. Good effort by him, getting to the foul line on a whim whenever he wanted because the refs called a horrible game. (And it certainly helped that the Suns were missing 4/5 of their starting lineup.) But that's okay, we want to face the Lakers in the first round anyway.Kobe for MVP? He's the best player on that team without a question, and one of the best players in the league, but he's not indispensible. You could replace him with a healthy Tracy McGrady and the Lakers would probably be in a similar position going into the playoffs as a low-end seed. It's not necessarily that he does anything particularly special -- he just has more opportunities (to the tune of 30+ shots a game) to show off his talent. My vote's to Lebron. As much as I love Nash, his defense -- although improved -- is still horrific, and he was torched by a series of PGs (Billups, Kidd, Davis) in a row toward the end of the season, which is going to kill his chance of a repeat. Lebron has taken his play to a new level this season to offset the absence of Hughes, and the kid is still ridiculously young to be doing it.
I would be fine with Lebron getting MVP, but I really think Kobe should get it. Everyone's definition of MVP differs, which makes the award sort of a crapshoot (Nash should NOT have won it last year, he cannot play defense at all, like you have said). I disagree with you, however about Kobe not being indispensible. He is by far the most indispensable player in the league. If you replace him with an average player at his position, Lakers win less than 20 games. Really, their team is not good. Replacing T-Mac with him is kind of meaningless, since you're putting in a star for another star, although I think Lakers barely miss playoffs in this scenario, because T-Mac doesn't play D like Kobe. But replace Kobe with an average shooting guard and they give the Knicks a run for their money for the number one pick. By the way, using the same logic for Lebron, I really don't mind Lebron for MVP. His team is really, really bad if you replace Lebron with an average small forward as well. The same cannot be said for other MVP candidates. Pistons still win their division if Chauncey is replaced, Mavericks are still a solid team if Dirk is replaced, same for Heat and Wade. Suns probably take a bid drop without Nash, but I still can't give the award to someone that is so bad at defense.
I would be fine with Lebron getting MVP, but I really think Kobe should get it. Everyone's definition of MVP differs, which makes the award sort of a crapshoot (Nash should NOT have won it last year, he cannot play defense at all, like you have said). I disagree with you, however about Kobe not being indispensible. He is by far the most indispensable player in the league. If you replace him with an average player at his position, Lakers win less than 20 games. Really, their team is not good. Replacing T-Mac with him is kind of meaningless, since you're putting in a star for another star, although I think Lakers barely miss playoffs in this scenario, because T-Mac doesn't play D like Kobe. But replace Kobe with an average shooting guard and they give the Knicks a run for their money for the number one pick. By the way, using the same logic for Lebron, I really don't mind Lebron for MVP. His team is really, really bad if you replace Lebron with an average small forward as well. The same cannot be said for other MVP candidates. Pistons still win their division if Chauncey is replaced, Mavericks are still a solid team if Dirk is replaced, same for Heat and Wade. Suns probably take a bid drop without Nash, but I still can't give the award to someone that is so bad at defense.
Without Nash, and even with a healthy Stoudemire, the Suns miss the playoffs this year. And I still wouldn't give him the MVP. There are too many other solid condidates, and his defense compared to theirs cripples his grip on the award this season.The Lakers are not a good team, but they're also not as horrible as they're made out to be, particularly with the progression Kwame Brown has made this year -- a situation only created because of Mihm's injury. Odom, Walton and Mihm are solid, and Parker would make a great complimentary player, just not a good starting PG.Being by far the best player on a horrible team shouldn't be enough to win the MVP. If it was, Kevin Garnett would have won last year and could win again this year despite them not making the playoffs.For the record, I think Nash deserved the MVP last season. It's not like Shaq plays much defense either, he just exists. And his existence in the middle of the paint warrants him a couple blocks and changed shots every game.

No way. I told all y'all it's going to be Nash.Check this article:http://www.tsn.ca/nba/news_story/?ID=163920&hubname=

The 32-year-old from Victoria posted career highs this season in scoring (18.8 points per game), rebounding (4.2 per game), field goal percentage (.512) and free-throw percentage (NBA-best .921). He led the league in assists again with 10.5 per game and finished sixth in three-point shooting (43.9 per cent).
If he was good enough to win last year, he's pretty much got to win this year given his career best season!
If he was good enough to win last year, he's pretty much got to win this year given his career best season!
That's saying that what everybody else does doesn't matter. There are a lot more worthy candidates this year. And he really wasn't good enough to win last year because of the whole no defense thing.

Yeah! Saw that article this morning too!I agree that there are many good candidates this year, although I think Kobe and Lebron are most worthy (after Nash). I was even surprised they gave it to him last year, so twice in a row would really REALLY surprise me. Still, there is no doubt he's deserving. He makes that team click.He might be weak on D, but the suns don't play D anyway! :club: I hope he gets it now, otherwise that article is quite the tease.

Lol to whoever said the Lakers would win 20 without Kobe and he means much more to his team than Lebron. Without James, the Cavs win 16 games. First game of the series vs the Wizards he absolutely dominates, and I admit the Cavs did pretty much blow the Wizards out. Second game he comes back to earth with 10 tos and Wiz prevail to even the series. The Lakers have a pretty darn good player in Lamar Odom, as well as a solid bench, and some ok players in Smush and Devean George, plus they have a MUCH better coach in Phil Jackson. They would probably win 27 games without Kobe, yes exactly 27. It would be nice if we knew the respective teams' plus/minus without their superstars. But we all know Lebron is more important to his team(especially since he gets mad assists) than Kobe is to the Lakers. Kobe will not get the MVP this year unless the Lakers can somehow magically beat the Suns.

Well I disagree. I think Lebron has more help in Cleveland than Kobe has in LA (although I definately agree that Kobe has the better coach).Sure Kobe has Odom, but Lebron does have Ilgauskas who is probably the 5th best center in the league. If you look at Ilgauskas stats they're practically a wash with Odom. I would actually rate Ilgauskas as being more important since he plays center and is only really outmatched by 3 other centerss in the league (Shaq, Yao, and Wallace).The big difference is in the rest of the team. Here's how they compareLakersSmush Parker Kwame Walton Cook George Vujacic Mihm (injured) CavsHughes (who was injured)GoodenMarshallJonesSnowVarejaoMurray (acquired in trade)Neither group looks great, but I like the Cavs group a lot better, and in general the Cavs group has better career numbers. The Lakers group are all bench guys at best, and Walton is really the only guy I would want.It's still hard to evaluate those players because they are left open all game long. Kobe demands double teams and Odom has to be covered. The same applies to Lebron and Big Z. This makes it real hard to evaluate a guy like Smush Parker. I still dont think he's that good. There's a reason he's on his 4th team in 3 years.And when comapring the Lakers to the Cavs, you have to take into account that the Lakers played in a tougher conference. In the East, the Bucks made the playoffs despite being below .500 and the Pacers and Bulls each had exactly a .500 record. The 8th seed in the West had a better record than the bottom 4 seeds in the East. Thats significant.I would not assume that if roles were reversed, Lebron could lead the Lakers to the playoffs in the West, but I think Kobe would still lead the Cavs to the playoffs in the East.

Nash over Kobe for MVP? What a joke Story Tools: XML Print Email Blog This DIME Magazine / Dime Magazine Posted: 26 minutes ago I stole this from Fox Sports. Couldn't have said it any better. Word leaked Wednesday morning that Steve Nash will be named this year's MVP. While it won't be officially announced for some time, it looks like it's a done deal. And we think it's absurd. The fact that Steve Nash is going to win the award isn't the problem. The problem is that Kobe Bryant didn't. Honestly, what more could Kobe have done this season to win the MVP? It's a joke. And what makes the whole thing even more outrageous is that his losing out is clearly personal. To be blunt, he didn't win it because the people with the votes just don't like him. And that's a shame.Heading into this season, if someone asked you to make a list of what Kobe would have to do in the 2005-06 NBA season to win the MVP, what would you have said? Something like that Kobe would have to show that he's the best player in the NBA and he would have to take that god-awful Lakers team to the playoffs — not an easy thing to do in the Western Conference.So what did Kobe do? Here are three numbers: 81, 62 and 35.4. The 81-point explosion against the Raptors in January completely eclipsed the fact that he gave the Mavericks 62 in just three quarters a few weeks prior. His 35.4 points per game, easily enough to secure him the league's scoring title, was the eighth-highest single-season scoring average in league history and the most since MJ put up 37.1 points per game back in '87. No. 8 put together two separate streaks this season where he scored 40 or more points in four straight games.Let's be blunt: Kobe Bryant is clearly the best basketball player in the world.We've said it so many times: Steve Nash's supporting cast includes Shawn Marion (a guy who should have received some MVP attention) and Boris Diaw (potentially the NBA's Most Improved Player). But if you substituted any other elite NBA shooting guard for Kobe Bryant and kept that same Lakers supporting cast, L.A.'s season would have been very, very different. Is there any doubt that Los Angeles would have finished with a record that was just as abysmal as that of the Knicks, Raptors or Trail Blazers?Kobe didn't barely get the Lakers to the playoffs, just scraping out the eighth seed. They finished seventh, were firmly entrenched in the playoff picture for much of the year, and their 45-game win total in the West was more than all but four teams in the Eastern Conference. With complimentary pieces like Chris Mihm, Devean George, Brian Cook and Sasha Vujacic surrounding Kobe, 45 wins in the Western Conference is nothing short of a miracle.So why no love for Kobe? Like we said earlier, it's strictly personal. There's no other explanation. The writers with the votes just don't like him. They're blurring their feelings about Kobe as a person with how they view him as a basketball player.We've been hearing all year that Kobe shouldn't win the MVP because he "doesn't make the players around him better." We don't necessarily agree, but if that's what we're basing this on, then by all means, give Steve Nash the "Makes Those Around Him Better Award" and be done with it.Kobe perfectly fits the two criteria that voters traditionally use when deciding on an MVP: he's the best player in the league and he's invaluable to his team.Kobe Bryant is the NBA's Most Valuable Player. It's not even close.

People keep arguing that Nash won it last year ans he's playing better this year, but they fail to realize that last year was a really weak year in the MVP race. James and Wade were only in their second year and Kobe had an off year (mostly by his own actions). All three of those players have made huge improvements this year. I still think Shaq should've had it last year, but it was close.I was watching the game tonight and they posted all the back-to-back MVP winners. I'm not ready to put Nash in that class of players.

Yea, cause under his leadership 7 players on that team had career years this year and his numbers are up from last year. He is a horrible choice :rolleyes:The MVP is not for the best player in the league. Kobe loses Shaq, they miss the playoffs. Suns lose Amare and they win the division, see the difference.Being the best player on the 7th best team in the conference doesn't make you the MVP.

The fact that Steve Nash is going to win the award isn't the problem. The problem is that Kobe Bryant didn't. Honestly, what more could Kobe have done this season to win the MVP?I dunno, pass the ball or rebound? Improve his assist and rebound numbers which went DOWN from last year.It's a joke. And what makes the whole thing even more outrageous is that his losing out is clearly personal. To be blunt, he didn't win it because the people with the votes just don't like him. And that's a shame.So they know everyone who votes on this award has a personal vendetta agaisnt Kobe. I don't buy it.Heading into this season, if someone asked you to make a list of what Kobe would have to do in the 2005-06 NBA season to win the MVP, what would you have said? Something like that Kobe would have to show that he's the best player in the NBA and he would have to take that god-awful Lakers team to the playoffs — not an easy thing to do in the Western Conference.Being the best player in the league doesn't make you MVP, or Jordan would have about 12 of them instead of 3. The western conference isn't as strong as it has been in past years, so the making the playoffs arguement doesn't hold as much weight as it would have 2 years ago.So what did Kobe do? Here are three numbers: 81, 62 and 35.4. The 81-point explosion against the Raptors in January completely eclipsed the fact that he gave the Mavericks 62 in just three quarters a few weeks prior. His 35.4 points per game, easily enough to secure him the league's scoring title, was the eighth-highest single-season scoring average in league history and the most since MJ put up 37.1 points per game back in '87. No. 8 put together two separate streaks this season where he scored 40 or more points in four straight games.2 huge scoring games... wow. MVp is about yoru body of work, not if you went off in 2 games. Sure he lead the league in scoring, I'm pretty sure leading the league in scoring and shots taken doesn't make you the MVP.Let's be blunt: Kobe Bryant is clearly the best basketball player in the world.I don't think so. The most talented offensively, maybe from a pure scoring standpoint. We've said it so many times: Steve Nash's supporting cast includes Shawn Marion (a guy who should have received some MVP attention) and Boris Diaw (potentially the NBA's Most Improved Player).Marion is good, no doubt about it. But he is undersized at his position and can cause matchup problems for his team on D. There is a reason Diaw is the most improved player in the league, might just be because he has Nash on his team, a true team first player.But if you substituted any other elite NBA shooting guard for Kobe Bryant and kept that same Lakers supporting cast, L.A.'s season would have been very, very different. Is there any doubt that Los Angeles would have finished with a record that was just as abysmal as that of the Knicks, Raptors or Trail Blazers?There are several all star quality shooting guards in the league capable of Kobe's numbers if they got his shot attempts. Kobe didn't barely get the Lakers to the playoffs, just scraping out the eighth seed. They finished seventh, were firmly entrenched in the playoff picture for much of the year, and their 45-game win total in the West was more than all but four teams in the Eastern Conference. With complimentary pieces like Chris Mihm, Devean George, Brian Cook and Sasha Vujacic surrounding Kobe, 45 wins in the Western Conference is nothing short of a miracle.Mihm is serviceable as evidenced by his 10+ ppg in 26 minutes. George has plenty of talent, and is a solid wing defender. Neither Cook nor Vujacic play even 1/2 of a game, so the 7th and 8th men arguements are retarded. None of the players you mentioned average more than 26 minutes a game.So why no love for Kobe? Like we said earlier, it's strictly personal. There's no other explanation. The writers with the votes just don't like him. They're blurring their feelings about Kobe as a person with how they view him as a basketball player.Proof please. Baseball writiers hate Barry Bonds, didn't stop him from getting the MVP 7 times now. I don't buy it.We've been hearing all year that Kobe shouldn't win the MVP because he "doesn't make the players around him better." We don't necessarily agree, but if that's what we're basing this on, then by all means, give Steve Nash the "Makes Those Around Him Better Award" and be done with it.So they don't agree that he doesn't make the players around him better? I guess Nash makes everyone worse too. So, why don't we give Kobe the ballhog award and call it a day?Kobe perfectly fits the two criteria that voters traditionally use when deciding on an MVP: he's the best player in the league and he's invaluable to his team.Best player in the league (which is very debateable) isn't criteria, and there are plenty of players that are invaluable to thier team.Kobe Bryant is the NBA's Most Valuable Player. It's not even close.
Apparently the people who voted disagree.

Jadaki is owning in this thread. Well done. Nash is the MVP..and he should be. Kobe is the better SCORER. That is it. That's like giving the MVP in baseball just to the person who has the most RBI. Doesn't work that way.

Jadaki is owning in this thread. Well done. Nash is the MVP..and he should be. Kobe is the better SCORER. That is it. That's like giving the MVP in baseball just to the person who has the most RBI. Doesn't work that way.
Bah! Who gives a crap about regular season hardware anyway. The Suns can take home MVP. Last year all of their awards and 50 cents got them a coke at the end of the day. This year isn't looking much better.--RuffRidr
Bah! Who gives a crap about regular season hardware anyway. The Suns can take home MVP. Last year all of their awards and 50 cents got them a coke at the end of the day. This year isn't looking much better.--RuffRidr
That's a lot more than 28 other teams in the NBA got.If success were based solely on winning a championship every year, Avery Johnson wouldn't have won Coach of the Year because he would already have been fired.