I was playing poker at UB and I was talking to some of the players and this subject came up, whos the best poker player out there right now, Some people said Phil Ivey and most of them said Daniel Negreanu. I was just wondering who everybody on this forum thinks is the best poker player out of those two. I myself think Negreanu's the best out there, you dont really hear much about Phil Ivey.

You don't hear much about Ivey, because with the exception of Turning Stone (which most people haven't seen), most people don't see him on TV.People tend to vote with who they see on TV.Again, there's no such thing as the best poker player in the world, although I believe that Doyle Brunson has had the best poker career ever. Longevity, plus 9 bracelets, plus the best poker book ever written etc.

Daniel, Ivey, Juanda are at the top of the list of all around players..I think Scott Fischman is a pretty good all around player..he won the HORSE event and I have read(I forgot where) he is doing well in events this year. Just a thought..im not defending him, I think he has alot of maturing to do, I do think he is solid player tho.A2

brunson wrote the book on it and until the day he dies its his title...after brunson, well let the debate begin

I agree Brunson...best of all time...I would of loved to see Unger and Brunson go heads up..they proabbly did at some point..now that would of been a great match..i just creamed thinking about it.

just to make this clear i was making fun of A2. Of coarse Brunson and Unger went heads up for the WSOP championship in 1980. Unger called off a ton of chips with a gutshot straight draw, and hit the miracle on the turn, Brunson had top 2 pair, and the both were all in. Unger won.

hey a2 suited, the phrase too much information comes to mind....ya stu sucked out on brunson, i pretty sure brunson had two pair and stuey hit hit gutshot to win it. That being said brunson sucked out big time in both of his wins as well.

I'm not saying I know anything but I have heard of this guy named Johnny Moss that was from what Doyle says the best he ever saw. Um Johnny Chan comes to mind also. But this is a question that will just revolve. Gus Hansen seems to be quite a talent. Have fun kids.

i just wanna say, refer to our man dan's article "Asian Poker Players" on this site to add a bunch more names to the list. A bunch of asian players names at least. And id agree with Forest, Helmuth being top players, also Chip Reeses is often considered to be the top cash game player. And in response to Ivey if you dont hear much about him i dont know what you are listening too, hes also one of the best.

Don't hear much on Phil Ivey....BS, Phil Ivey owns man...anyways, my top 5 and reasons (no order):1) Phil Ivey - great player, great pokerface, plays in huge games every night and a very good tournament player2) Doyle Brunson - his career (length + earnings + wsop bracelets), his books, and just what he has done for the game3) Daniel Negreanu - is anyone on this site really gonna argue here? (lmao) very smart player (I first was interested in him because he was in tournaments on TV wearing hockey jerseys , so he seemed like a cool dude(I myself being a hockey player))4) John Juanda - say what you will, Juanda is a great tournament poker player5) Howard Lederer - very smart player, knows the game real well, great tournament playerother good players not quite on the list:Jennifer HarmanDavid PhamDavid Sklansky (sp?)TJ CloutierScotty NguyenGus HansenJohnny Chanpeace :D

Turn the topic a little. Who is your favorite poker player and why? Now we have something. The best player question is right up there with the meaning of life quandry. Stick to what ya know.