How To Recognize A Great Nl Player

I was just in a satellite tourney on Paradise and we were getting down to the final spots for a tourney later in the day, when one guy starts talking about troubles with his infant son. He had to take care of him for the night and his wife wanted him off the computer...or else he would be sleeping on the couch. He was, of course, torn as this was a big tourney coming up (150K prize pool). So everyone at the table started giving advice, like: post and fold, go all in a bunch of times early, find a babysitter, etc. Then a guy named 'collector27' came up with this simple gem-'KILL YOUR WIFE' I immediately wrote in his player notes 'Thinks outside the box'. Incidentally, he ended up leading at the end. I'm going to be watching out for this guy.

a great nl player is always wearing sunglasses (even when he is playing online poker). He has all of the lingo down, and every hand he loses is because of a bad beat.
You have just described Phil Hellmuth
Hes a great NL player because he can come up with a comical anwser....so humor is what makes a good nl player, who knew.
Nah, not necessarily. But he was a very creative player and his creativity showed in the answer. Just struck me as funny.
Hellmuth not only knows all the good lingo, he invents new ones.JOPKE JOPKE JOPKE
I wish Phil Hellmuth had his own forums
Maybe he's a serial killer and rather than thinking out of the box,is just thinking out loud?
Nah, he's never met the other guy's wife. If he was thinking out loud, it'd probably be-"Kill(ing) MY wife" Or "I'm gonna kill my wife" Or "That bi tch undercooked the meat, she's got to go."

See, I see the "kill your wife" joke as pretty cliche, unoriginal humor. It's actually not very imaginitive or creative at all, imo.Basically what it says to me, is that the original poster is a fairly simple guy, at least when it comes to cleverness, and probably plays fairly straight forward unclever game of poker.The guy who made the joke, is probably slightly more clever than the original poster, but that's about it.The joker probably made the final table by playing solid, basic poker.

• 5 months later...
See, I see the "kill your wife" joke as pretty cliche, unoriginal humor. It's actually not very imaginitive or creative at all, imo.Basically what it says to me, is that the original poster is a fairly simple guy, at least when it comes to cleverness, and probably plays fairly straight forward unclever game of poker.The guy who made the joke, is probably slightly more clever than the original poster, but that's about it.The joker probably made the final table by playing solid, basic poker.
Wow, just found this. Aren't you a jerk? Fairly simple? I don't play in 5 dollar tourneys and brag about it. THAT'S SIMPLE. I also don't attack someone who's posting something that they found funny. I made the final table and made more money than you've spent on weed in your life (which is probably considerable). BTW, if "kill your wife" is cliched in your circles, then you hang around some twisted people. Hopefully in the last several months you've matured...doubtful. I forgot that attacking the poster was such a common theme here that I stopped posting. Thanks for reminding me as I passed through the archives.