The Big Game…

I was wondering if anyone had any information or wanted to speculate on why the big game seemed to drop from 4000-8000 to 3000-6000. It also seems that the game is often shorthanded. My guess is that the purpose for dropping the limit was to invite more players – namely those who may want to step up from 2000-4000, but didn’t feel comfortable jumping to 4000-8000. Also,Management at the new poker room at the Venetian is not being shy about their claims that their poker room will be the Bellagio’s competitor. In fact, they are advertising having a “regular” 4000-8000 game. Does anyone know if any of the big game regulars are going to consider playing at Venetian as well?

Having never been to the Bellagio, its hard to determine. However, i was under the impression that there is only 1 big game, and it varies anywhere between 2/4 to 4/8k limits. I think the players playing that day decide. The next game lower is a regular 1k/2k where guys like lederer (used to play) and dagostino have attempted to play. then 400/800. i don't think they are 'enticing' people to say "hey, they dropped limits by 1/4 of the regular BB, NOW i can play"i don't know. Dont you just love hearing things about the big game tho?

The limits are determined by the players based on their comfort level. DN has written about some players in the past (Gus Hanson, Sammy Farha) who did not want to play 4000, 8000. I think if there is a player or 2 that is only willing to play a little lower, most of the regulars will be willing to drop down. This is especially true if the game is shorthanded to begin with, no reason to price anybody out.

Yeah...whoever's there just decides what limits to play.The "Big Game" is just where those who want to push the envelope are often found. I believe that the game has been 8K/16K with 200K cap at times but obviously the game can't last for any long stretch at those limits.

Also, from what I've gathered, they'll occassionally run two tables in the room. One 4k/8k and the other 2k/4k. Though I believe that's something you'll only see around WSOP or a huge tournament that has everyone in town.

Doyle once said on TV that he walked in one time and saw four tables of 4k/8k mixed game being played. He was commenting on the sudden explosion of poker. Not sure which broadcast or anything but I distinctly remember this comment.

good points.I ask just because I’ve noticed that it’s been at 3k, 6k for the last few posts. I was wondering if there was some other reason why the games were not as full as usual. I don’t think that the Venetian will actually be able to pull away the regular big game players. Therefore, I doubt that there will be a game as big as 4k 8k. With the Wynn and Caesars not being able to spread games that high, I’m not sure that the Venetian will be able to either.

Rumor has it that Doyle and Chip are the 'poker ambasadors' at the new Venetian poker room opening up on April 2.If they have to play exclusively at the Venetian, then I would assume that the big game would naturally migrate over to the Venetian. Just a guess.mc

Personally I don't think the big game will switch, even if Doyle and Chip go there.Now there may be a great chance another Big Game or very large game will start up at the Venetian but I can't see the current game ever leaving Bellagio.

Personally I don't think the big game will switch, even if Doyle and Chip go there.Now there may be a great chance another Big Game or very large game will start up at the Venetian but I can't see the current game ever leaving Bellagio.
I think doyle runs the show, the big game follows him.