Top Posters In This Topic

• Ron_Mexico

• speedz99

• Napa Lite

• ShakeZuma

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

and after 3 days, he is risen!

If you are paying $20 for a haircut, I imagine people assume you did it yourself anyway.

Pocket change cost me my first and only black girlfriend.   It was in the middle of a roaring poker boom and I was flush in ways most men don't even bother dreaming of. Money, it was like dirt to me

Posted Images

I don't really care very much about Steve Jobs dying...
Me neither. I appreciate his contributions but have no need to join the social network love-in. These FB/Twat posts are less about remembering Jobs and more about wanting to belong to a group. I found the irony of posting a tweet celebrating Jobs while being completely ignorant of his suffering to be pretty funny. It probably isn't irony.
loogie: ssssnnnnaaaaaaaaaaaakkkkkeeee!
I would never say sssnnnnaaaaaaaaaaaakkkkkeee.Though, I might say sssnnnnaaaaaaaaaaake.Whoop, baby's crying. Gotta go.Snaaaaaaaaaaaaake.Huh. We were both wrong.
Me neither. I appreciate his contributions but have no need to join the social network love-in. These FB/Twat posts are less about remembering Jobs and more about wanting to belong to a group. I found the irony of posting a tweet celebrating Jobs while being completely ignorant of his suffering to be pretty funny. It probably isn't irony.
At least Traina handled it was. That is, he immediately called himself an idiot.
I don't really care very much about Steve Jobs dying, not any more than I care about anyone dying from cancer at age 56. Is is because I don't own any Apple products? Because, judging by facebook, this is VERY sad. Like, much more sad than natural disasters that kill thousands of people...but, then again, those people were probably sooper poor.
...as you type this on your personal computer...but I think the main sadness is going to be experienced by anyone who's bought apple stock in the last 3 or so years.you'll appreciate this drayton: just saw on facebook yesterday that a girl I know just bought her first house. she's 5 years younger than me, and she's a mechanical engineer with like 3 years of experience. put her on the salary.com ranking and she should be making around 8k a year less than me right now. and she just bought a house. with a 2 car garage on 3 acres. I suppose I can at least take solace in the fact that I must be one of the most cost efficient employee in the entire country.

I kind of doubt aapl drops much on the news. the market probably almost fully priced it in the moment it was announced tim cook was not just a temp replacement.

...as you type this on your personal computer...
Let's not pretend he was the lone inventor, marketer, and distributor of the first personal computers. Yeah, he had a large part of one of the first computers, but so did many others, and pc's were on the way regardless. But really, people aren't even upset because of that...most of the people on twitter and facebook mentioning his death probably have no clue about the early days of his career, they just know him as the ipad powerpoint guy.Yeah, the guy did some cool shit, and we've got some fun stuff to play with in part because of him. It's still hilarious that he's being mourned like this when other far more important people are basically ignored. I wasn't inundated with silly "tributes" when Norman Borlaug died, and he really was solely responsible for saving millions of lives. But when the guy whose company brought us the ipod dies...Whatever, it is sad, I'll give people that. It's just a funny thing to get so worked up about, in my opinion.
you'll appreciate this drayton: just saw on facebook yesterday that a girl I know just bought her first house. she's 5 years younger than me, and she's a mechanical engineer with like 3 years of experience. put her on the salary.com ranking and she should be making around 8k a year less than me right now. and she just bought a house. with a 2 car garage on 3 acres. I suppose I can at least take solace in the fact that I must be one of the most cost efficient employee in the entire country.
Do you not apply for other, higher paying, jobs? And what happened at that meeting where you were going to ask for a bump?
I kind of doubt aapl drops much on the news. the market probably almost fully priced it in the moment it was announced tim cook was not just a temp replacement.
I wonder if people shorted aapl thinking that he'd die soon and it would drop.
SHUT UP AND DO THE JOB YOU WERE HIRED FOR
I don't care either.Sent from my iPhone
haha, and hi

speedz: well internally you can't post out until you've been in your position for two years, so I've got a year to go there. and externally, I mean, I just got here, so nobody's gonna even look at my resume since they'd just see me as a job hopper. but really, the only thing I don't like about my job is the salary: I like the company, the people, the work I do, and the perks/benefits are pretty good too. just wish I wasn't paid half price. and when I asked for a raise, they told me they can't give raises unless you change jobs, either by posting out to another department or by them creating a new position basically for me (and I haven't heard anything about them trying to do anything like that since then).also: saving millions of lives does not allow me to jam like a schoolgirl to cults while mowing grass, so your point is moo.

SHUT UP AND DO THE JOB YOU WERE HIRED FORhaha, and hi
herro.
speedz: well internally you can't post out until you've been in your position for two years, so I've got a year to go there. and externally, I mean, I just got here, so nobody's gonna even look at my resume since they'd just see me as a job hopper. but really, the only thing I don't like about my job is the salary: I like the company, the people, the work I do, and the perks/benefits are pretty good too. just wish I wasn't paid half price. and when I asked for a raise, they told me they can't give raises unless you change jobs, either by posting out to another department or by them creating a new position basically for me (and I haven't heard anything about them trying to do anything like that since then).also: saving millions of lives does not allow me to jam like a schoolgirl to cults while mowing grass, so your point is moo.
That's pretty much the exact opposite of my job. Been here for 3 years and have done everything there is to do (small company, that really only handles one small niche) and other than the MILFy employee at my store (who's also awesome) my pay is the only thing I can't complain about. For the job I do, I'm pretty grossly overpaid. For example, I'll probably be posting here all day til I leave at 1pm. I would've been doing this all along if I didn't kind of forget this place existed for a while. I randomly spotted a tweet from negreanu on some website after that whole Full Tilt thing happened and my first thought was about this place.

Also, I figure you guys would appreciate this. You know those ads on the side of your facebook that are supposed to be tailored to your interests/life? Well, this is what came up on mine the other day. 28982396997751029216100.jpgUploaded with ImageShack.us

speedz: well internally you can't post out until you've been in your position for two years, so I've got a year to go there. and externally, I mean, I just got here, so nobody's gonna even look at my resume since they'd just see me as a job hopper. but really, the only thing I don't like about my job is the salary: I like the company, the people, the work I do, and the perks/benefits are pretty good too. just wish I wasn't paid half price. and when I asked for a raise, they told me they can't give raises unless you change jobs, either by posting out to another department or by them creating a new position basically for me (and I haven't heard anything about them trying to do anything like that since then).
Looks boring, didn't read it.
also: saving millions of lives does not allow me to jam like a schoolgirl to cults while mowing grass, so your point is moo.
Fair enough.
That's pretty much the exact opposite of my job. Been here for 3 years and have done everything there is to do (small company, that really only handles one small niche) and other than the MILFy employee at my store (who's also awesome) my pay is the only thing I can't complain about. For the job I do, I'm pretty grossly overpaid. For example, I'll probably be posting here all day til I leave at 1pm. I would've been doing this all along if I didn't kind of forget this place existed for a while. I randomly spotted a tweet from negreanu on some website after that whole Full Tilt thing happened and my first thought was about this place.
Well, don't get too excited, we're pretty dull these days.

I'm not dancing on the guy's grave, but, again, this outburst is fucking ridiculous, and it just goes to show how much more importance people place on their gadgets than almost anything else.The Mystery of Steve Jobs' public giving."Mr. Jobs’s views on charity are unclear since he rarely talks about it. But in 1997, when Mr. Jobs returned to Apple, he closed the company’s philanthropic programs. At the time, he said he wanted to restore the company’s profitability. Despite the company’s $14 billion in profits last year and its $76 billion cash pile today, the giving programs have never been reinstated."

I'm not dancing on the guy's grave, but, again, this outburst is fucking ridiculous, and it just goes to show how much more importance people place on their gadgets than almost anything else.The Mystery of Steve Jobs' public giving."Mr. Jobs’s views on charity are unclear since he rarely talks about it. But in 1997, when Mr. Jobs returned to Apple, he closed the company’s philanthropic programs. At the time, he said he wanted to restore the company’s profitability. Despite the company’s $14 billion in profits last year and its $76 billion cash pile today, the giving programs have never been reinstated."
I think you're way off on this speedz. We don't mourn people based on some abstract accounting of what their worth was to humanity*. We have emotional responses to what they meant to us. The guy meant something to people more than even the usefulness of his "gadgets" because of the way he went about his life and because of what Apple represented to them. I think the "Think Different" campaign they had back in the early 2000's captured well what Apple and by proxy SJ represented: 'The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes.The ones who see things differently. They're not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them.About the only thing you can't do is ignore them. Because they change things. They invent. They imagine. They heal. They explore. They create. They inspire. They push the human race forward.Maybe they have to be crazy.How else can you stare at an empty canvas and see a work of art? Or sit in silence and hear a song that's never been written? Or gaze at a red planet and see a laboratory on wheels?We make tools for these kinds of people.While some see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.Was this all just a creation of marketing? I don't think so. I've owned a mac since 1987, so maybe this is more personal for me than for some other people, but I was on the mac side of things back when we were an uncool minority. I can't really think of someone I've never met who has affected my daily life more than he has. *but I also object to the idea that giving money away to charity is somehow worth more than creating the kind of technology that he created -- for one thing charity is often fleeting and ineffective. SJ's effect on the world will be long-lasting and tangible.
I think you're way off on this speedz. We don't mourn people based on some abstract accounting of what their worth was to humanity*. We have emotional responses to what they meant to us.
Agreed. It'd be impossible to indiscriminately care about every person that dies, so there needs to be some way of ranking them in order of importance. A saint who did lots for a bunch of people, but had no direct impact on your life (or anyone that's close to you) should get ranked below someone who had an impact on you, even if it's just your phone and gadgets, imo. Maybe not in an ideal world, where people are admired based on humanitarian merit, but what they did that affected you personally, but in reality. That sentence was awfully structured.
We don't mourn people based on some abstract accounting of what their worth was to humanity*. We have emotional responses to what they meant to us. The guy meant something to people more than even the usefulness of his "gadgets" because of the way he went about his life and because of what Apple represented to them.
Apple did not go out of business.
I think the "Think Different" campaign they had back in the early 2000's captured well what Apple and by proxy SJ represented: Was this all just a creation of marketing? I don't think so.
Haha. Man, did they reel you in. Yeah, Apple is about rebellion and changing the world. How am I the one to break to you the fact that Apple is merely about the same thing every other technology company is about? They just do it better, in a lot of cases.
I've owned a mac since 1987, so maybe this is more personal for me than for some other people, but I was on the mac side of things back when we were an uncool minority. I can't really think of someone I've never met who has affected my daily life more than he has.
First of all, he wasn't even part of the company from '85-'97. And after his reinstatement he wasn't focused on shit like making computers work faster, he was focused on things like making them lighter and cooler looking. Oh, and making powerpoint presentations about cool gadgets that other people who worked for him invented and marketed. I find it weird that you associate your love for apple products with one guy.
*but I also object to the idea that giving money away to charity is somehow worth more than creating the kind of technology that he created -- for one thing charity is often fleeting and ineffective. SJ's effect on the world will be long-lasting and tangible.
I'm unimpressed with the fact that he gets to take credit for inventions that came out of his company. The CEO of Intel doesn't take credit for increasing processor speed (or whatever)...maybe he should start doing cool powerpoints about it. And every single technological creation that came out of his company, which, again, he didn't really create (although he was a part of the driving force), was already in the works on multiple platforms. Yeah, his company did it first in some cases. Let's all worship him.If you think that the Gates/Buffet foundation will have less of a lasting effect, you're crazy. Jobs did NOTHING that wouldn't have been done anyway. The foundation is quite tangibly making the world a better place, you just don't know or care how. Not that I blame you, since it really doesn't affect your daily life in any way. I didn't mean that to sound as bitchy as it came out.
Maybe not in an ideal world, where people are admired based on humanitarian merit, but what they did that affected you personally, but in reality.
My argument boils down to two things:1. A CEO, in general, gets too much credit for his company's successes (and blame for failures). I'm sorry, but the generic random chick with an iPhone does not need to be mourning Jobs' death. It's not like he personally invented the first smart phone, refined it, built it, and delivered it to her door. Yeah, he gets some credit, but give me a fucking break, being all pensive about his death because iTunes is awesome.2. I disagree with your above statement. The world doesn't have to be completely ideal to add humanitarian merit into the equation. Maybe that's not true for the death of a friend or family member, but certainly for a public figure.My girlfriend made the only compelling argument I've heard today, that his death represents that of someone even younger than the parents of the Apple generation, so it hits home to those of us who haven't lost a parent yet. If a guy that age with that wealth could die of an illness...you know. I understand the emotional response connected to tha.
We don't mourn people based on some abstract accounting of what their worth was to humanity*. We have emotional responses to what they meant to us. The guy meant something to people more than even the usefulness of his "gadgets" because of the way he went about his life and because of what Apple represented to them. I think the "Think Different" campaign they had back in the early 2000's captured well what Apple and by proxy SJ represented:
I should mention this, because it pertains to the point I was trying to make.Did you not reading the section I quoted about him shutting down Apple's philanthropy program and never starting it back up even when the company was making an obscene amount of money? Seems to me he was just about building up his company, and I really don't see anything that convinces me he was doing so to help the world. So yeah, I'm not super impressed with the way he went about his life. And I still think that, while you might have a legitimate reason for feeling a connection to his death, a lot of people are just giving it lip service to look cool and remind everyone that they're sooper hip and have Apple products.Edit: Really, I'm fine with some people mourning him and what he represented to them. Just not the outpouring that's going on. I absolutely think a lot of it is total bullshit.
My argument boils down to two things:1. A CEO, in general, gets too much credit for his company's successes (and blame for failures). I'm sorry, but the generic random chick with an iPhone does not need to be mourning Jobs' death. It's not like he personally invented the first smart phone, refined it, built it, and delivered it to her door. Yeah, he gets some credit, but give me a fucking break, being all pensive about his death because iTunes is awesome.2. I disagree with your above statement. The world doesn't have to be completely ideal to add humanitarian merit into the equation. Maybe that's not true for the death of a friend or family member, but certainly for a public figure.My girlfriend made the only compelling argument I've heard today, that his death represents that of someone even younger than the parents of the Apple generation, so it hits home to those of us who haven't lost a parent yet. If a guy that age with that wealth could die of an illness...you know. I understand the emotional response connected to tha.
I'm not saying I was sitting crying over my macbook when I heard the news because 1- I can't afford a macbook and 2- I really can't think of one celebrity or public figure that I'd be really, truly upset about if they passed. Ok fine, Kelly Clarkson, but that's about it. My thing is just that i salute the guy for his accomplishments, and thank him because it's his company (and yes, I acknowledge the work of the employees under him, but let's face it, there always has to be a figure head of anything. Head coaches, quarterbacks, lead singers, CEOs, they'll always get too much credit when things are going well, and take an unfair amount of heat when they're not.) that helped (not alone obviously, but helped refine to a large degree) bring us the medium in which we all read this stuff to begin with. Plus, I have a soft spot for the tale of the college drop out who became a success, and as cliche as it is, the "follow your dreams" and "do what you love" crowds. I hate a lot of aspects of my job, and love my life outside work,so i'll always have a soft spot for that kind of stuff. I read his commencement speech a while back that I really liked, and it did hit home to me pretty significantly, or at least as much as text summarized on a website could. But on the other hand, I was equally moved by a cartoon of Mario, one of which had him plumbing a toilet and the other had him stomping mushrooms that said "Quit your day job and do what you love".Regardless, I'd rather be reading debates on whether or not the guy deserved praise from strangers than people tweeting about what club they're going to tonight.