Do Unto Others

cooperation is the antonym for competition. That means that it is the oppositeof competition. Sorry, try again.
Not necessarily, it depends on the context in which it is used.You try again :club:
  • Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe that competition is bad
Debate is competition. That's what you're engaging in through this thread.You say competition is bad because it's inherently selfish. Well...what if it's not? What if you're competing for your country or others?
You think humans aren't capable of ever living in harmony without competition? You have got to be kidding.
I'm sorry, but communism isn't practical in the current world.
There is no possible way that you can argue that competition right now (evolution is irrelevant to my basic argument wakefield) and zero sum games like poker do more good than harm. Again, how is competition necessary at this point in time? You think humans aren't capable of ever living in harmony without competition? You have got to be kidding.
I guess that's a good way of tidying things up. I show a counter-example, and you simply say "ok but that's irrelevant" with no further explanation.I'll just assume your "I was wrong" button is broken. Please explain.....you were talking about competition as a concept, not human competition, no?
Yorke, I see you reading this (and other posts).You should post more....
I am sorry Wakefield you must be right. After all what could possibly be wrong with a little competition? Hint: look at the picture you are posting.
Debate is competition. That's what you're engaging in through this thread.You say competition is bad because it's inherently selfish. Well...what if it's not? What if you're competing for your country or others?I'm sorry, but communism isn't practical in the current world.
People fighting for their country sounds pretty selfish to me. You decide.
People fighting for their country sounds pretty selfish to me. You decide.
I wouldn't call it 'selfish' per se. So you believe the Olympics are immoral then?And are you conceding that you're involved in a debate/competition?

the main point i see is that there is debate over whether making money is a bad thing. Whether it is selfish or not. Makin money isnt a selfish endeavor. Never has been. We can point to Paul selling umbrellas to earn money when necessary. As for competition. There really isnt any way to avoid it.

I wouldn't call it 'selfish' per se. So you believe the Olympics are immoral then?And are you conceding that you're involved in a debate/competition?
If you think being selfish is immoral then yesI'm not trying to win anything here. Obviously that is impossibleto do considering all the close minded people I am talking to.Have a nice day!
the main point i see is that there is debate over whether making money is a bad thing. Whether it is selfish or not. Makin money isnt a selfish endeavor. Never has been. We can point to Paul selling umbrellas to earn money when necessary. As for competition. There really isnt any way to avoid it.
So If we don't compete we will die? Really? Don't think so.But maybe there isn't enough food and water to go around. I guessthat means there is no point in fighting poverty because it will never go away.Also, last I heard air was in short supply. Better compete for that too.Have a nice day!
So If we don't compete we will die? Really? Don't think so.But maybe there isn't enough food and water to go around. I guessthat means there is no point in fighting poverty because it will never go away.Also, last I heard air was in short supply. Better compete for that too.Have a nice day!
Hi this doesnt answer anything I talked about. Money is a necessity. Paul many times in the bible said it was necessary. So claiming that it is selfish to make sure u have necessary items isnt selfish at all.
I am sorry Wakefield you must be right. After all what could possibly be wrong with a little competition? Hint: look at the picture you are posting.
And you continue to entirely ignore what I wrote. There are examples of "good" competition and "bad" competition. Your response is, look here is an example of "bad" competition. So competition is bad. You're wrong.
I'm not trying to win anything here. Obviously that is impossibleto do considering all the close minded people I am talking to.
See...that second sentence there belies the first. You're implying that you "would win" if we were more open-minded. That said, I don't see how I'm being close-minded. I've considered your view. I've also discussed it with a number of other people.I think the stance that some competition is good and some is bad is a nice, moderate, open-minded view. Stating that all competition is bad is fairly close-minded. You've said that people can play games for fun, right? So what games do you play?
Hi this doesnt answer anything I talked about. Money is a necessity. Paul many times in the bible said it was necessary. So claiming that it is selfish to make sure u have necessary items isnt selfish at all.
If you knew how to read you would realize that there is no need for competiton for the things we NEED.
See...that second sentence there belies the first. You're implying that you "would win" if we were more open-minded. That said, I don't see how I'm being close-minded. I've considered your view. I've also discussed it with a number of other people.I think the stance that some competition is good and some is bad is a nice, moderate, open-minded view. Stating that all competition is bad is fairly close-minded. You've said that people can play games for fun, right? So what games do you play?
I guess I'm not perfect. Darn. I used to play many different games growing up for fun. The more I won the more fun I had. Selfish? Yes. Enough side tracking. My view on life is that deep down we are all the same. Anything that goes against that is wrong. Competition is wrong. ALL competition promotes having a winner and a loser. Otherwise it wouldn't be a competition. Cooperation (exact opposite word for competition (look it up if you don't believe me)) goes with my view that everyone can exist as equals. You can't be in support of my view on life and believe that all competition is not wrong.It is as simple as that. Case Closed.
And you continue to entirely ignore what I wrote. There are examples of "good" competition and "bad" competition. Your response is, look here is an example of "bad" competition. So competition is bad. You're wrong.
In ALL competitions there is a winner and a loser. I believe that it is not needed and therefore wrong. An example of competition in today's world that is right? I am very sorry, but it doesn't exist. I am sure you will argue with this, but that is becuase you don't understand. Maybe someday you will.
Paul was wrong. You don't need money to survive. Food? Yes. Water? Yes.Air? Yes. Money? Sorry, but no
hahahaha
Are you saying I'm wrong? I believe your friend Jesus did just fine without money (and competition for that matter). Although with money he could have hired a good lawyer.
In ALL competitions there is a winner and a loser. I believe that it is not needed and therefore wrong. An example of competition in today's world that is right? I am very sorry, but it doesn't exist. I am sure you will argue with this, but that is becuase you don't understand. Maybe someday you will.
You're right, a poker game would be much more fun if, at the end, everybody just got their money back and were declared equal winners.

I guess I'm not perfect. Darn.I used to play many different games growing up for fun. The more I won the more fun I had. Selfish? Yes. Enough side tracking. My view on life is that deep down we are all the same. Anything that goes against that is wrong.
So...it's wrong to compete and telling us that we're wrong in competing...and yet you're still debating. I think that's a bit hypocritical.I've played many different games for fun over the years with friends and family. I didn't really care if I won or not. In fact, on a number of occasions, I had a lot of fun when other people won.Yes, we're all the same. And yet at the same time, we're all different; we're all individuals. Individuals have different abilities. Does that make someone 'better' than someone else? Maybe at particular tasks, but how does that detract from everyone's shared humanity?

One thing I will add is that if you do everything for money then you are really going to hate life. If you dont enjoy what you are doing and have fun at it then life is goign to be a drag. Money should be the byproduct of your job..not the goal

A FRIGGIN BASEBALL GAME!!! The game cannot be played without it being a competition, and people often enjoy playing and watching it.......even if their team loses.
So...it's wrong to compete and telling us that we're wrong in competing...and yet you're still debating. I think that's a bit hypocritical.I've played many different games for fun over the years with friends and family. I didn't really care if I won or not. In fact, on a number of occasions, I had a lot of fun when other people won.Yes, we're all the same. And yet at the same time, we're all different; we're all individuals. Individuals have different abilities. Does that make someone 'better' than someone else? Maybe at particular tasks, but how does that detract from everyone's shared humanity?
It wasn't a competition then. Have a nice day!
A FRIGGIN BASEBALL GAME!!! The game cannot be played without it being a competition, and people often enjoy playing and watching it.......even if their team loses.
I'm sure your just tickled when your favorite team loses a big game :club: .
I'm sure your just tickled when your favorite team loses a big game :club: .
Well you can't win every game. So you think that we should abolish baseball because it involves declaring somebody the loser? What exactly are you trying to say? Seriously, are you even thinking? Do you know how much people in Boston love the Red Sox??????? This is not new....when they hadn't won for 86 years we still loved them. People love the Cubs. They never win it.
It wasn't a competition then. Have a nice day!
Also, that is just wrong. One individual's level of desire to win does not affect the structure of the game.
Well you can't win every game. So you think that we should abolish baseball because it involves declaring somebody the loser? What exactly are you trying to say? Seriously, are you even thinking? Do you know how much people in Boston love the Red Sox??????? This is not new....when they hadn't won for 86 years we still loved them. People love the Cubs. They never win it.Also, that is just wrong. One individual's level of desire to win does not affect the structure of the game.
If you don't understand what I'm trying to say by now you have more problems than I thought. If a player's main desire is to have fun and not to win then it is not a true competition now is it. Sorry, but that is just a fact.Nothing can be wrong with loving the Red Sox. Nice kid.
If you don't understand what I'm trying to say by now you have more problems than I thought. If a player's main desire is to have fun and not to win then it is not a true competition now is it. Sorry, but that is just a fact.Nothing can be wrong with loving the Red Sox. Nice kid.
From Merriam-Webster Online: compete - [first definition] - to strive consciously or unconsciously for an objective (as position, profit, or a prize) : be in a state of rivalrySo there. The participants' desire to win has no relation to how we define their actions, and if they are playing baseball, football, etc, we define their actions as being a competition, whether they are competing consciously or not. Also, that kid rules!!!!!!!! What's your problem with the kid???? He's having a ball! To my eyes, he's not full of hate and anger, he's having a great time. He obviously saw somebody else do that, and thought it would be fun to mimick.