$50 to $1000 on pstars day 24

The GoalTo turn $50 in my first Pokerstars deposit into $1000.The RulesI'll play only Limit games, primarily Holdem, though I might mix in some O8 or Stud etc. later on.I won't move up in limits without at least 300BB for the new limit. I will post hands that I win and lose and explain my thinking behind how I played them.I'm too lazy to spellcheck. Deal with it.Day 24: 700 hands, $17Not a lot of time to post today, I'm off to a party and have some real work to do later one. Haven't really played as much as I'd have liked yesterday and today, but managed to get around 700 hands in. Nothing real exciting. Not many hands today, I'm pressed for time but I didn't want to go too long without getting something up (no gay jokes, dudes, that'd be cheating... ok.)Some hands:Dealt to thecandle [Ad Ah]JK1Rk: folds Big L 11: folds XiaOzI: calls $0.25themayneski: folds The Jezus: folds playschool: folds playschool leaves the tablethecandle: raises $0.25 to $0.50bigbirdbc: folds schnaazz: folds XiaOzI: calls $0.25*** FLOP *** [Qs 4s 7d]XiaOzI: checks thecandle: bets $0.25XiaOzI: calls $0.25*** TURN *** [Qs 4s 7d] [7h]XiaOzI: bets $0.50thecandle: calls $0.50*** RIVER *** [Qs 4s 7d 7h] [4c]XiaOzI: bets $0.50thecandle: calls $0.50AA I raise, get heads up against 75 and lose.*** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to thecandle [Ad 4d]ol paint: calls $0.25sparky_67: calls $0.25scottm77: folds thecandle: calls $0.25BlogReader88: calls $0.25themayneski: folds schnaazz: folds jsk10: calls $0.15Rich1949: checks I limp with A4s.*** FLOP *** [Js 5d 9d]jsk10: checks Rich1949: checks ol paint: bets $0.25sparky_67: calls $0.25thecandle: calls $0.25BlogReader88: calls $0.25jsk10: calls $0.25Rich1949: folds Flop a flush draw and decide not to raise it, going for overcals instead. Raising might clean up my A outs but I felt like there was more money here in just calling.*** TURN *** [Js 5d 9d] [8d]jsk10: checks ol paint: bets $0.50sparky_67: folds thecandle: calls $0.50BlogReader88: calls $0.50jsk10: folds Again I go for overcalls with two left to act and get one. There's nothing particularly scary out there and no one's shown any agression to indicate I'm in trouble of the board paors so I think I may get two bets on the river if I just call.*** RIVER *** [Js 5d 9d 8d] [Ks]ol paint: checks MycroftH joins the table at seat #5 thecandle: bets $0.50BlogReader88: calls $0.50ol paint: calls $0.50*** SHOW DOWN ***thecandle: shows [Ad 4d] (a flush, Ace high)BlogReader88: mucks hand ol paint: mucks hand thecandle collected $5.50 from potWhich I do.*** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to thecandle [As Qd]thecandle: raises $0.25 to $0.50yellowjack: folds hambone317: raises $0.25 to $0.75yoss22: folds blizzcat: folds doodrn: folds Dukecuse: folds Gamblin1: calls $0.50thecandle: calls $0.25I raise AQ UTG, get three bet and call, the BB calls also.*** FLOP *** [4s 8s Ah]Gamblin1: checks thecandle: checks hambone317: bets $0.25Gamblin1: calls $0.25thecandle: calls $0.25I ponder raising here, but paying off AK for extra bets is pointless and pushing out someone with KK on this flop loses money. Nothing particularly scary about the flop.*** TURN *** [4s 8s Ah] [3d]Gamblin1: checks thecandle: checks hambone317: checksWhy position is importnat. I check figuing the PF raiser is likely to lead again and instead it gets cehcked around. I'm 90% sure I'm ahead now. *** RIVER *** [4s 8s Ah 3d] [9h]Gamblin1: checks thecandle: bets $0.50hambone317: calls $0.50Gamblin1: calls $0.50*** SHOW DOWN ***thecandle: shows [As Qd] (a pair of Aces)hambone317: mucks hand Gamblin1: mucks hand thecandle collected $4.60 from potmeh.He three bet KQ pre-flop, and the BB called two cold with 22. They both called my river bet, one with K high and one with a pair of deuces...Bad poker players work in mysterous ways.Dealt to thecandle [Kc Kh]thecandle: raises $0.25 to $0.50yellowjack: folds BicycleBear: calls $0.50yoss22: folds blizzcat: folds doodrn: folds Dukecuse: calls $0.50BuddyB13: folds Gamblin1: calls $0.25I raise KK from UTG and get three callers.*** FLOP *** [6h 9d Qd]Gamblin1: checks thecandle: bets $0.25BicycleBear: calls $0.25Dukecuse: calls $0.25Gamblin1: calls $0.25Bet, call call cal call.*** TURN *** [6h 9d Qd] [3c]Gamblin1: checks thecandle: bets $0.50yellowjack said, "interesting"BicycleBear: calls $0.50Dukecuse: folds Gamblin1: calls $0.50Bet call fold call.*** RIVER *** [6h 9d Qd 3c] [4d]Gamblin1: checks thecandle: checks BicycleBear: checks I figure *someone* has to be hanging aroud with the diamond draw, but no...Seat 6: Gamblin1 (big blind) showed [5h 6s] and lost with a pair of SixesSeat 7: thecandle showed [Kc Kh] and won ($4.60) with a pair of KingsSeat 9: yellowjack folded before Flop (didn't bet)Seat 10: BicycleBear mucked [Ac Kd]Sometimes you win some unlikely largish pots in passive games:*** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to thecandle [8h 7h]Rich1949: folds ol paint: folds scottm77: calls $0.25MycroftH: calls $0.25Rich1949 leaves the tablethecandle: calls $0.25BlogReader88: folds themayneski: raises $0.25 to $0.50schnaazz: folds jsk10: calls $0.25scottm77: calls $0.25MycroftH: calls $0.25thecandle: calls $0.25I limp and call one more with 78s in the CO.. *** FLOP *** [6c 3h 7d]jsk10: checks scottm77: bets $0.25MycroftH: folds thecandle: calls $0.25themayneski: calls $0.25jsk10: calls $0.25Pot's big, I have TP and various weak striahgt and flush draws.*** TURN *** [6c 3h 7d] [Td]jsk10: checks scottm77: checks thecandle: checks themayneski: checksI click "fold to any bet" and ignore the table. *** RIVER *** [6c 3h 7d Td] [3c]jsk10: checks scottm77: checks thecandle: checks themayneski: checks *** SHOW DOWN ***jsk10: shows [2s Ks] (a pair of Threes)scottm77: shows [As 4s] (a pair of Threes - Ace kicker)thecandle: shows [8h 7h] (two pair, Sevens and Threes)themayneski: mucks hand thecandle collected $3.60 from potDidn't even know I'd won this hand untill I looked at the HH.*** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to thecandle [Kd Ks]yoss22: folds chip&putt: folds doodrn: calls $0.25Dukecuse: calls $0.25thecandle: raises $0.25 to $0.50Jstanggt95: folds yellowjack: folds hambone317: folds doodrn: calls $0.25Dukecuse: calls $0.25I raise KK from MP.*** FLOP *** [5h Td 9s]Gambl00r joins the table at seat #6 doodrn: bets $0.25Dukecuse: calls $0.25thecandle: raises $0.25 to $0.50doodrn: calls $0.25Dukecuse: calls $0.25I raise this unscary flop.*** TURN *** [5h Td 9s] [7d]doodrn: bets $0.50Dukecuse: calls $0.45 and is all-inthecandle: calls $0.50I just call this kind of odd continued betting on the turn.*** RIVER *** [5h Td 9s 7d] [Ac]doodrn: bets $0.50thecandle: foldsI fold to the continued agression, figuring he has to have an ace. making good laydowns like this is critical to good limit play.thecandle: calls $0.50*** SHOW DOWN ***doodrn: shows [8s Ts] (a pair of Tens)thecandle: shows [Kd Ks] (a pair of Kings)thecandle collected $0.85 from side potDukecuse: mucks hand thecandle collected $4.70 from main potJust kidding. Folding in a pot that big is horrible.That's it, gotta run. I'll have something more creative and with more content on Monday. Have a good weekend, kids, win lots of money.ResultsStarting Bankroll: $241.71Ending Bankroll: $258.71Playtime: 700 handsNet: $17BB/100: 4 ish.
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

*** RIVER *** [5h Td 9s 7d] [Ac] doodrn: bets $0.50 thecandle: folds I fold to the continued agression, figuring he has to have an ace. making good laydowns like this is critical to good limit play. thecandle: calls $0.50 *** SHOW DOWN *** doodrn: shows [8s Ts] (a pair of Tens) thecandle: shows [Kd Ks] (a pair of Kings) thecandle collected $0.85 from side pot Dukecuse: mucks hand thecandle collected $4.70 from main pot Just kidding.
LOL
*** FLOP *** [Js 5d 9d] jsk10: checks Rich1949: checks ol paint: bets $0.25 sparky_67: calls $0.25 thecandle: calls $0.25 BlogReader88: calls $0.25 jsk10: calls $0.25 Rich1949: folds Flop a flush draw and decide not to raise it, going for overcals instead. Raising might clean up my A outs but I felt like there was more money here in just calling.*** TURN *** [Js 5d 9d] [8d] jsk10: checks ol paint: bets $0.50 sparky_67: folds thecandle: calls $0.50 BlogReader88: calls $0.50 jsk10: folds Again I go for overcalls with two left to act and get one. There's nothing particularly scary out there and no one's shown any agression to indicate I'm in trouble of the board paors so I think I may get two bets on the river if I just call.
I have a couple questions about this. If you raise the turn it will scream that you hit your draw, but isn't this another of the reasons you should raise this hand on the flop? You have 9 outs to the nuts and 12 outs to the best hand on the flop in a pot with five players, two of whom already have money in on the flop when it comes to you. I would raise the flop. That way when you do hit the diamond, it's not a scare card to the other players and you still get action. This is at least something I have found about the micro limit tables.

I would raise the flop. That way when you do hit the diamond, it's not a scare card to the other players and you still get action.Less money.Knocking out one guy with that raise who will call one and then two more BB doesn't help me.If I was closing the action it's an easy raise.

Guest XXEddie
lol great job bro, can't wait until I can catch up to your limits and make a cameo."PStars, day 52. Wow, NormanHaupt is an easy player. I think I busted him back down to .05/.10"
day 117; eddie brought 2xBB to the 50/100 table i played at...worth a try

question about this hand. you had AQ, raised UTG and got four callers.

*** FLOP *** [4s 8s Ah]Gamblin1: checksthecandle: checkshambone317: bets $0.25Gamblin1: calls $0.25thecandle: calls $0.25I ponder raising here, but paying off AK for extra bets is pointless and pushing out someone with KK on this flop loses money. Nothing particularly scary about the flop.
is it a bad play to bet out, or check-raise the flop with top pair? if he raises or three-bets, you can slow down suspecting AK, but other than AA and AK there are so many other hands worth raising, even by a good player. you also get control of the hand and, if in position (not this hand, but in general), you can get a free card if you don't feel your top pair is good, or if you suspect your opponent will check-raise you on the turn.plus, this flop had a spade draw and a possible two pair draw for anybody holding an A, as well as a set draw for anyone with a PP. shouldn't you make these draws and lesser hands pay?
*** TURN *** [4s 8s Ah] [3d]Gamblin1: checksthecandle: checkshambone317: checksWhy position is importnat. I check figuing the PF raiser is likely to lead again and instead it gets cehcked around. I'm 90% sure I'm ahead now.
this is why i raise the flop. a lot of people bet on the flop regardless, if they were the PF raiser, and they tend to shy down on the turn if they still haven't hit. if i had raised and didn't get three-bet (or bet and didn't get raised), i can bet out here again and get more value. i feel like you missed value on this hand because you were too scared of AK. again, the only two likely hands which have you beat right now are AA and AK.thanks,aseem

plus, this flop had a spade draw and a possible two pair draw for anybody holding an A, as well as a set draw for anyone with a PP. shouldn't you make these draws and lesser hands pay?Yeah, on the turn. There's no way to protect this if it's best on the flop, there's only driving out hands I'm way ahead of.C/Ring the turn is where to charge them, it protects it if it's the best hand and charges KK or whatnot to call down.Obviously if it gets checked around raising the flop is better. Barring the sudden onset of psychic abilities though, I'm going to assume that 75% of pf raisers are going to lead out again there.I guess we disagree.

Dealt to thecandle [Ad Ah]JK1Rk: folds Big L 11: folds XiaOzI: calls $0.25themayneski: folds The Jezus: folds playschool: folds playschool leaves the tablethecandle: raises $0.25 to $0.50bigbirdbc: folds schnaazz: folds XiaOzI: calls $0.25*** FLOP *** [Qs 4s 7d]XiaOzI: checks thecandle: bets $0.25XiaOzI: calls $0.25*** TURN *** [Qs 4s 7d] [7h]XiaOzI: bets $0.50thecandle: calls $0.50*** RIVER *** [Qs 4s 7d 7h] [4c]XiaOzI: bets $0.50thecandle: calls $0.50
Why not raise the turn and fold to a 3-bet?
*** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to thecandle [As Qd]thecandle: raises $0.25 to $0.50yellowjack: folds hambone317: raises $0.25 to $0.75yoss22: folds blizzcat: folds doodrn: folds Dukecuse: folds Gamblin1: calls $0.50thecandle: calls $0.25I raise AQ UTG, get three bet and call, the BB calls also.*** FLOP *** [4s 8s Ah]Gamblin1: checks thecandle: checks hambone317: bets $0.25Gamblin1: calls $0.25thecandle: calls $0.25I ponder raising here, but paying off AK for extra bets is pointless and pushing out someone with KK on this flop loses money. Nothing particularly scary about the flop.*** TURN *** [4s 8s Ah] [3d]Gamblin1: checks thecandle: checks hambone317: checksWhy position is importnat. I check figuing the PF raiser is likely to lead again and instead it gets cehcked around. I'm 90% sure I'm ahead now. *** RIVER *** [4s 8s Ah 3d] [9h]Gamblin1: checks thecandle: bets $0.50hambone317: calls $0.50Gamblin1: calls $0.50*** SHOW DOWN ***thecandle: shows [As Qd] (a pair of Aces)hambone317: mucks hand Gamblin1: mucks hand thecandle collected $4.60 from potmeh.He three bet KQ pre-flop, and the BB called two cold with 22. They both called my river bet, one with K high and one with a pair of deuces...Bad poker players work in mysterous ways.
It looks like you missed out on alot of bets. Raise the flop, bet the turn. Sure, sometimes you're going to pay off AK, but more times KK and 22! are gonna pay you off.
Dealt to thecandle [Kc Kh]thecandle: raises $0.25 to $0.50yellowjack: folds BicycleBear: calls $0.50yoss22: folds blizzcat: folds doodrn: folds Dukecuse: calls $0.50BuddyB13: folds Gamblin1: calls $0.25I raise KK from UTG and get three callers.*** FLOP *** [6h 9d Qd]Gamblin1: checks thecandle: bets $0.25BicycleBear: calls $0.25Dukecuse: calls $0.25Gamblin1: calls $0.25Bet, call call cal call.*** TURN *** [6h 9d Qd] [3c]Gamblin1: checks thecandle: bets $0.50yellowjack said, "interesting"BicycleBear: calls $0.50Dukecuse: folds Gamblin1: calls $0.50Bet call fold call.*** RIVER *** [6h 9d Qd 3c] [4d]Gamblin1: checks thecandle: checks BicycleBear: checks I figure *someone* has to be hanging aroud with the diamond draw, but no...
weak/tight... I bet the river every time.
*** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to thecandle [8h 7h]Rich1949: folds ol paint: folds scottm77: calls $0.25MycroftH: calls $0.25Rich1949 leaves the tablethecandle: calls $0.25BlogReader88: folds themayneski: raises $0.25 to $0.50schnaazz: folds jsk10: calls $0.25scottm77: calls $0.25MycroftH: calls $0.25thecandle: calls $0.25I limp and call one more with 78s in the CO.. *** FLOP *** [6c 3h 7d]jsk10: checks scottm77: bets $0.25MycroftH: folds thecandle: calls $0.25themayneski: calls $0.25jsk10: calls $0.25Pot's big, I have TP and various weak striahgt and flush draws.*** TURN *** [6c 3h 7d] [Td]jsk10: checks scottm77: checks thecandle: checks themayneski: checksI click "fold to any bet" and ignore the table. *** RIVER *** [6c 3h 7d Td] [3c]jsk10: checks scottm77: checks thecandle: checks themayneski: checks *** SHOW DOWN ***jsk10: shows [2s Ks] (a pair of Threes)scottm77: shows [As 4s] (a pair of Threes - Ace kicker)thecandle: shows [8h 7h] (two pair, Sevens and Threes)themayneski: mucks hand thecandle collected $3.60 from potDidn't even know I'd won this hand untill I looked at the HH.
You said the pot was big, why aren't you raising to thin the field and clean up your outs? Raise the flop, bet the turn, bet the river. A4 stuck around for the gut shot, I bet you'd have been pissed if your free river card was a 5...The rest looks pretty good. :wink: -Smokey-

You said the pot was big, why aren't you raising to thin the field and clean up your outs? Raise the flop, bet the turn, bet the river. A4 stuck around for the gut shot, I bet you'd have been censored if your free river card was a 5... Because its far too weak a hand.I think you got confused reading SSHE somehwere along the line.

You said the pot was big, why aren't you raising to thin the field and clean up your outs? Raise the flop, bet the turn, bet the river. A4 stuck around for the gut shot, I bet you'd have been censored if your free river card was a 5... Because its far too weak a hand.I think you got confused reading SSHE somehwere along the line.
If your hand isn't good now you got a few BD draws to better ones. It's time to raise. I don't remember SSHE saying to play weak/tight.

Why not raise the turn and fold to a 3-bet? Because I can show down for the same number of bets and not lose to a worse hand whatever percentage of the time I get three bet by one, while losing to a better hand who just calls some percentage of the time as well?Are you serious? If you're going ot raise there it's because you think there's value most of the time, in which case you have to call down a three bet and one on the river. It's just horrible beyond belief to raise and then fold to one more there.weak/tight... I bet the river every time. You're confusing a value bet with pointless chip spewing, then.Happens.You read 2+2 a lot, but seem to not comprehend some of it./shrug.

Just curious? Is some of the FCP hands going in the next update?I hope so even though it's below the current level of the 50-1000 :D

If your hand isn't good now you got a few BD draws to better ones. It's time to raise. I don't remember SSHE saying to play weak/tight.Raising there is horrible./shrug.I understand the concept you're misapplying here, but I think you need to look at it again.

Why not raise the turn and fold to a 3-bet? Because I can show down for the same number of bets and not lose to a worse hand whatever percentage of the time I get three bet by one, while losing to a better hand who just calls some percentage of the time as well?Are you serious? If you're going ot raise there it's because you think there's value most of the time, in which case you have to call down a three bet and one on the river. It's just horrible beyond belief to raise and then fold to one more there.
You lost the same amount folding to a 3-bet but gained an extra BB to a worse hand when he doesn't 3-bet.
weak/tight... I bet the river every time. You're confusing a value bet with pointless chip spewing, then.Happens.You read 2+2 a lot, but seem to not comprehend some of it./shrug.
That's a value bet at these limits. You read some books but unfortunately missed out on EV.

You lost the same amount folding to a 3-bet but gained an extra BB to a worse hand when he doesn't 3-bet.Nope, when you fold to a three-bet from a worse hand you make a huge blunder not even vaguely compensated for by the times you get one more bet from a worse hand.Do you see why?That's a value bet at these limits. You read some books but unfortunately missed out on EV.No, it's pretty terrible, really.It's not even vaguely +EV.Good effort though, perhaps you could type "weak tight" again without any sort of actual foundation in theory.I mean it worked so well the first time....Oh wait.

Guest XXEddie

smokey.....you have no idea who the he'll youre dealing with....just agree with him beofre he takes more of your digity away......if you still have any. everything you are saying is wrong, everything smash is saying is right

You lost the same amount folding to a 3-bet but gained an extra BB to a worse hand when he doesn't 3-bet.Nope, when you fold to a three-bet from a worse hand you make a huge blunder not even vaguely compensated for by the times you get one more bet from a worse hand.Do you see why?
This is completely read dependent. I'm not folding to a 3-bet from a 60/20/10. If a passive player 3-bets that turn, 99.9999999999% of the time you are drawing to a two outter. Either way, you gain. You gain 2 extra bets from an aggressive player and lose the same from a passive player. Sure, folding the best hand is a catastrophe but you wont be doing that much when 3-bet on this board.
Guest XXEddie
Dealt to thecandle [Ad Ah]JK1Rk: folds Big L 11: folds XiaOzI: calls $0.25themayneski: folds The Jezus: folds playschool: folds playschool leaves the tablethecandle: raises $0.25 to $0.50bigbirdbc: folds schnaazz: folds XiaOzI: calls $0.25*** FLOP *** [Qs 4s 7d]XiaOzI: checks thecandle: bets $0.25XiaOzI: calls $0.25*** TURN *** [Qs 4s 7d] [7h]XiaOzI: bets $0.50thecandle: calls $0.50*** RIVER *** [Qs 4s 7d 7h] [4c]XiaOzI: bets $0.50thecandle: calls $0.50
Why not raise the turn and fold to a 3-bet?-
heres a better question...unless you were bluffing, why would would rasie with the intent of folding to a three bet