jus played a 20+2 satelite mtt on party poker. 70 people registered, top 2 got $640 seats into the million dollar guarantee. so 3 people left, im in second with about 70k in chips. i limp for 4k with AK from the button, sb goes all in (which he had been doin for last couple of hands) for about 65k and i call. he flips over A6s and flops a 6. im left with 5k and am out the next hand. my prize? $60. im so ****kkkkkkking pissed. I was really lookin forward to playing in that million dollar tournament.

he was trapping.. the guy was almost certain too move with a weak hand.. not bad... only the guy had too many chips to want to play an all in pot as probably what's goin to be a 2-1 favshould just raise

should just raise
Um.I cut out the parts of your post that really didn't make any sense to me--no worries, I'm pretty dim.I don't like trapping with AK, period, let alone with someone who can absolutely cripple me. We're not results oriented. If that flop comes A53 and they get it all in, and the guy shows 53, cause we let him complete from the SB then we're kicking ourselves.Just my two cents, I suppose.
I don't like trapping with AK, period, let alone with someone who can absolutely cripple me.
Agree completely.AK isn't a "monster" hand. It's a drawing hand. Granted it hashigh card value, but realistically, you need a flop with it to win.
i knew if i limped he was movin all in for sure... if i raise he might jus fold and im lookin to bust him... i consider AK a trapping hand under these circumstances
I get what you're saying, and I think it's an okay play from time to time.But, 'getting cute' and out thinking yourself can cause you problems in tourneys--just a thought.

he said he knew the guy would move in with anything if he limped, his play worked, and he got ****ed. that sucks, I would be pissed also, I've bubbled a couple satellites in my day. moral of the story - the text book play isn't the absolute right thing to do, and you guys are dicks.

he said he knew the guy would move in with anything if he limped, his play worked, and he got censored. that sucks, I would be censored also, I've bubbled a couple satellites in my day. moral of the story - the text book play isn't the absolute right thing to do, and you guys are censored.
..what was the 'censored' word here? Assholes?I apologize deeply if I don't believe in results oriented analysis--which *is* what you're doing. If he wanted to bitch he should've posted it in the Bad Beat Forum.When you post it here, it's open to critique.Have a good night.

well his play from the beginning was to limp to entice the sb to go all in with a weak hand, which, from a completely objective view is a fine play, probably a good one given the situation he described. That's what I was saying.

Same % for a K or a 6 to drop, so it's really a coinflip that you lost. Tough to go that way but anyone who plays lots of poker knows that AK is just a strong drawing hand. I feel for you.

Same % for a K or a 6 to drop, so it's really a coinflip that you lost. Tough to go that way but anyone who plays lots of poker knows that AK is just a strong drawing hand. I feel for you.
Huh? When is 75/25 a coinflip? A6 needs to hit a 6 and only a six, AK doesn't need to hit anything to win.
he was trapping.. the guy was almost certain too move with a weak hand.. not bad... only the guy had too many chips to want to play an all in pot as probably what's goin to be a 2-1 favshould just raise
Thats like "trapping" someone with a flush drawAK isnt a hand, its A high. most of the time youll need to connect to the flop in order to win
Thats like "trapping" someone with a flush drawAK isnt a hand, its A high. most of the time youll need to connect to the flop in order to win
AK is really a better hand against 3 people also its not a good all in hand a 2 :icon_suit_spade: could take you out. Learn to be the willow
  • 6 months later...
i knew if i limped he was movin all in for sure... if i raise he might jus fold and im lookin to bust him... i consider AK a trapping hand under these circumstances
Actually AK IS a monster hand...4th best is no good? I hate when people say "its just a drawing hand" If thats the case then I can say that JJ is, "Just 1 pair, the 4th highest meaning A and K is higher, so if they come on the board your 1 pair is beat by there 1 pair." I hate this statement....
Actually AK IS a monster hand...4th best is no good? I hate when people say "its just a drawing hand" If thats the case then I can say that JJ is, "Just 1 pair, the 4th highest meaning A and K is higher, so if they come on the board your 1 pair is beat by there 1 pair." I hate this statement....
I'm not sure if I understand you. Are you saying that AK is the 4th best possible two card starting hand?