starting a legal card room in ohio?

I am from NE Ohio and have been looking for cardrooms around forever.Where the hell was I when all these popped up?!If it's membership only, etc. How do you go about joining, it would be great to drive < 3 hours to play a decent game. Especially from Cleveland.PS. To OP and others that play around OH, What limits/games are played, or do you wish to offer? Feel free to PM me if you wish.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, brief history. There are tons of places in NorthWest Ohio that run card rooms out of public commercial spaces. They pull rake to keep the lights on, and pay for supplies and stuff. I thought this was illegal, but they informed me of a few loop holes:
  • - There are no dollar signs on the chips- It's a private membership club, requiring a membership fee (I think makes it a legal membership, to do anything they wish to inside, like play poker)- No cash on the tables at all, all chips are sold through the cashier or players will be "playing back X amount of dollar, of which they sold the chips"
    • That's all I can think of for now. They said that they did get raided but all they could do by the fire marshall was put "exit" signs above the doors.My question is, does anyone own a cardroom willing to share the secrets? Anyone know where I can find this info on the internet? Perhaps someone has some opinions on what makes a card room fun (pool table, PS2 + TV, free rolls, etc)? Obviously I'm in it for the money, but as a poker player I want it to be all about the players, not just a cheap place to play so Ican make a buck.
Your already looking at it the wrong way, you want Xbox 360's and ping pong tables for the place to be boomin', at least thats what i would do.Good Luck my friend.

Jay - XBOX 360's would be boomin' you're right. Forgot about that. Also I think pool and poker go hand and hand, so I'll keep the pool table over the ping pong table. But I like ping pong too. :oops: Teph - as long as there is enough people to spread the game, it will be dealt. We'll have a chart and a waiting list, and once enough people are on it - the game will be dealt. As for the memberships, I don't think it's legal to advertise the actual club, but maybe the memberships? As long as you know someone on the inside that can vouch for you to get in, everything should be OK. I think it's illegal to advertise, but we both know word like this spreads like wildfire. (email, forums, etc)Slash - I understand and appreciate your opinions. However, as fellow poker players realize that this is about poker, and as long as I give them a reason to get out of the house, they will come. I won't open it until every alley is cleared and I understand this completely. Most poker players know most of the rules, and most of the ettiquite involved, so I don't feel like I'll have to step over the line too often. As long as I'm fair to the poker players involved, most will have "my back" if any situation ever comes up.

I am still awaiting notice of how many clubs I regularly passed while driving to a game >:[ (lol)Anyways, yea, that is a cool idea and everything, I will say this though, if you are charging "membership fees" (even if sake for legal issues), you should be sure to have a decent atmosphere. I also dare say regular security.Other than that, good luck if its in my area, I will definately check it out upon completion! Where is it at exactly in OH

capthowdy: Where abouts are you from and where are you looking to start one at?I'm from the Toledo/SE Michigan area and I'd be more than happy to try to get something going with you. I'll graduate with my 4-year BA in Communication in May and this is the kind of idea that I've been really serious about doing for quite some time now. My best friends dad is a lawyer in Toledo (and a former cop) so I'm sure he can provide us with some legal insight. And my step-dad owns a very successful company and could give some input on running any type of business.If you'd like, I can bring you out to the card room in TOL that I play at and we can discuss some things, or if you'd like you can drop me an e-mail at wandigo@linuxmail.org. I believe we have similiar goals in starting something like this.Hope to hear from ya soon,-Ken

I live about 10 mins north of Dayton. There are 2 card clubs there. Just need to go with a member to get in or a membership. Been there a couple of times but I'm not a member. Also I have a friend who owns a private club, That we play cards at everyday. If you have any exact question you want me to ask him shoot me a pm. I'll see what i can get answered for you. Also anyone stoppin thru or lives in the area shoot me a pm if you wanna play I can get a game set up. We play Dealers choice usually 1-2 ante NL. 90% of the time everyone choices 7 card stud. Me personally I usally play hold'em or 5 card stud on my deal.

capthowdy: Where abouts are you from and where are you looking to start one at?I'm from the Toledo/SE Michigan area and I'd be more than happy to try to get something going with you. I'll graduate with my 4-year BA in Communication in May and this is the kind of idea that I've been really serious about doing for quite some time now. My best friends dad is a lawyer in Toledo (and a former cop) so I'm sure he can provide us with some legal insight. And my step-dad owns a very successful company and could give some input on running any type of business.If you'd like, I can bring you out to the card room in TOL that I play at and we can discuss some things, or if you'd like you can drop me an e-mail at wandigo@linuxmail.org. I believe we have similiar goals in starting something like this.Hope to hear from ya soon,-Ken
I am in Toledo area as well. Interested in finding a game. Let me know.
I am in Toledo area as well. Interested in finding a game. Let me know.
Send me an e-mail or give me your AIM or MSN s/n if you have one and we can talk there.
Actually in Toledo, somewhere off of alexis I assume would be where I'd open it.
I think I've seen a few places along Alexis that would be good for it... And if we ever want to get some pool tables, my best friend works at Poolside Shop and can get us some deals on either tables and/or accessories.
Sounds good, lets handle this through PM's though.Food for thought: Alexis and Lewis has 27,000 cars pass a day, and is 3 miles away from UT.Check your PMs
I think I know what you mean... We could each stand on the corners and when the light turns red, we could walk by cars collecting donations. how genius! :club:

I'm a police officer in Ohio, and all card rooms are unfortunately illegal in this state. Anywhere the house takes a cut, and money is being exchanged is illegal. Don't forget to pack the KY when you go to prison.

I'm a police officer in Ohio, and all card rooms are unfortunately illegal in this state. Anywhere the house takes a cut, and money is being exchanged is illegal. Don't forget to pack the KY when you go to prison.
Nobody likes you :cry:
What's your name, Sarg?
What's your name, Sarg?
What's your name, Sarg?
His name is Farva.