revolutionary idea

I suggest you play guts. you only get 2 cards and no flop. Best 2 card hand wins, no suckouts. But hold em is a 7 card game and its over not over untill all 7 are dealt unless everyone folds. I know suckouts are agonizing especially when they seem to happen every other hand, but without the fish making these plays nobody would be there to pay you off when you do have the best hand. The game your describing wouldn't last longer than a few months when the fish ran out of money and quit redepositing in a game they never win a pot in. Occasional suckouts keep them swimming happily along.
You're right, holdem is the perfect game, no flaws whatsoever.
  • Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't like that, though. I'd much rather make the game more polished. I'm not into "gambling" when I flop Aces and Kings. I would much rather "buy insurance" and ensure that I win the pot.

And don't worry, I'll think of you everytime I beat two overpairs with an underset.
Sure, but the point is, that a good player will not play a crap starting hand and end up getting lucky with an underset against two pairs nearly as much as he will make two pairs and end up losing to a crappy underset when the dude flips 3 8 offsuit... again..protecting the wiser players. I have no idea why that is such a bad idea?Don't you get it? If you are smart enough to not play craptastic starting hands then you will not administer this beat (crappy underset vs. two over-pairs) nearly as much as it will be administered to you, in the long run. That's what we're all playing for, the long run, right?
I'm re-posting this because the logic of it seems to have escaped everyone. Sure fish are good, and we want fish to get lucky now and then. But let fish suckout on other fish. Protect the quality players so we don't have people like Varkonyi winning the d.amn WSOP. This beat will be administered TO you much more than it will be administered FROM you.How do you not understand this? If you consider yourself a good player, why would you EVER want fish to get lucky at YOUR expense?! Preposterous!

Preposterous, thats a big word... I have another one for you... Arbitrary, thats what your rules are. Last time I checked poker had something to do with (keep up with me here) mathematics? Oh wait wait I'm sorry it wasn't mathematics it was whatever you happen to feel at the time thats what poker is based on. Keep up the good work.

ooh ooh and everytime there is a four in your hand and the board comes down Kh, 7(of any suit), 10c, 6 and another 6 you win!!! and then cheetos and hand jobs will rain down from heaven!!! and then you get to wear the special hat that says I BIG POKER SMART MAN!!!! and a T-Shirt that says HANDRANKINGS FOR DUMB I PLAY FEEL GOOD POKER!!! and then magical monkeys can burn books based on probability in the center of the table and every one will have a good laugh cause they're just so happy.

JF... ur an intelligent guy whos got some knowledge about poker and how to play... i enjoy reading your posts... in saying this this could be one of the dumbest things i've ever read in my entire life.. no offense... i understand binges and the things that come to mind during these said binges.. i think u need some sleep bro..

and then cheetos and hand jobs will rain down from heaven!!!
nice very nice... almost urinated all over my desk... but i made it to the trash can...
ooh ooh and everytime there is a four in your hand and the board comes down Kh, 7(of any suit), 10c, 6 and another 6 you win!!! and then cheetos and hand jobs will rain down from heaven!!! and then you get to wear the special hat that says I BIG POKER SMART MAN!!!! and a T-Shirt that says HANDRANKINGS FOR DUMB I PLAY FEEL GOOD POKER!!! and then magical monkeys can burn books based on probability in the center of the table and every one will have a good laugh cause they're just so happy.
lol

You guys may all be laughing now but I will be the one laughing all the way to the bank when the poker gods sent me a check for $1 MILLION DOLLARS. I mean.... $100.... BILLION....DOLLARS.DaVinci, Copernicus, Einstein...all were said to be morons. I don't mind being lumped in with those guys.Thanks for the compliments, guys.-J

i think your poll says it allyou obviously don't understand the concept that you have to lose to suckouts in order to make money. If you don't want 24 to call you down when you have AK and hit 2 pair on the flop, your an idiot. If 24 never hit for them, they'd stop playing it and you wouldn't be getting paid off ever. If weaker hands never called down your stronger hands, you'd never get paid off. It's the same as everybody playing nothing but Aces and Kings, everybody would lose money to the rake in the end if that were the case.Explaining things to you is like explaining things to a child, you have to tell them repeatedly No, No and No and they still don't listen. You obviously have your own opinion which can't be changed, I mean when do you ever feel your wrong?

ahem, who said Da Vinci was a moron? and Copernicus? and even (foregoing the fact that he did poorly in some subjects in school) Einstein who said he was a moron??? when??? what were their names?? *a note, the fact that in protecting their hold on their own political supremacy the Catholic Church had to disagree with certain of Galileo's findings and the overarching acceptance of Kepler's medieval model of the concentric universe aside--only a dummy would have called Copernicus a moron.God you're smart.

You guys may all be laughing now but I will be the one laughing all the way to the bank when the poker gods sent me a check for $1 MILLION DOLLARS. I mean.... $100.... BILLION....DOLLARS.-J
Hey man, DO NOT try to muscle in in my mega-million dollar "one suited card in the hole flush (four suited cards come up on the flop/turn/river) loses to any two suited cards in the hole flush" scheme - I MEAN IT!I'm also working on a "one card in the hole straight loses to any two cards in the hole straight" idea. (Unless it's a full moon, then one-eyed jacks and two's are wild and ...)There is a sound mathematical basis for the way hands are ranked.I agree with the others, I'd LOVE to have that clown in my game.
Protect the quality players so we don't have people like Varkonyi winning the d.amn WSOP.
Quality players don't need protection, they win despite occasionally taking bad beats. The reason the "logic" of your position isn't getting much respect is because disguised bad beat stories aren't a particularly logical basis for rule changes.
Explaining things to you is like explaining things to a child, you have to tell them repeatedly No, No and No and they still don't listen. You obviously have your own opinion which can't be changed, I mean when do you ever feel your wrong?
One time I felt like the second wisest man in all the land. I found out I was wrong.
ahem, who said Da Vinci was a moron? and Copernicus? and even (foregoing the fact that he did poorly in some subjects in school) Einstein who said he was a moron??? when??? what were their names?? *a note, the fact that in protecting their hold on their own political supremacy the Catholic Church had to disagree with certain of Galileo's findings and the overarching acceptance of Kepler's medieval model of the concentric universe aside--only a dummy would have called Copernicus a moron.God you're smart.
God, you're a nerd.
Protect the quality players so we don't have people like Varkonyi winning the d.amn WSOP.
Quality players don't need protection, they win despite occasionally taking bad beats. The reason the "logic" of your position isn't getting much respect is because disguised bad beat stories aren't a particularly logical basis for rule changes.
First of all, if you are calling this hand a "Bad beat", then you are admitting that, and thus proving my point that it doesn't protect the better players.Yes quality players win despite "bad beats" (which I never called this hand once), but they will win at a greater rate when there's less luck involved. You guys are all just a bunch of gamblers.

You guys are acting like a fish will fold a set of queens when the board reads AKQQ5. A fish will not fold this hand even if he thinks someone had AK pre-flop. Don't worry about that. Fish will get lucky against other fish. Why let them get lucky against you? The only difference here is that good players will be less likely to play on when say, they have Q 3 in the BB and the flop comes 3 J K...because hitting another 3 may not help you, if you put an opponent on KJ. big F-in deal. So you have to lay down a crappy pair. I'd probably lay this down 95% of the time anyway. The good news is, you wont have to worry when playing a limit game when you have AK and the flop comes AK292, and some dude from the big blind flips over 2 4. I just don't get why you guys like that..

You guys are acting like a fish will fold a set of queens when the board reads AKQQ5. A fish will not fold this hand even if he thinks someone had AK pre-flop.
Two points -1) If a guy with AK pre-flop is dumb enough to let me draw so cheaply that I make QQQxx in the hand above, and if I then put him on AK in the hole (probably because he messes his pants when the Q comes on the turn and I bet at him) then yes, call me a fish, but I'm going to play my QQQxx against his perceived AAKKx. The last time I checked QQQxx beats AAKKx.2) We almost have something in common - your favorite hands are my favorite hole cards.

You know, ghotti, I think you're on to something. Maybe we can call it hold em, since you are indeed holding the card, and just drop what we call "hold em" now. Who wants to play that anyways?This thread has gone on long enough. You obviously aren't smart enough to understand that this would be a very dumb idea, proven by you calling us dumb for not "understanding".No, we understand. You don't.

First of all, if you are calling this hand a "Bad beat", then you are admitting that, and thus proving my point that it doesn't protect the better players.
I'm calling it a bad beat story because that's exactly what it is. That you have chosen this form of whining about it was amusing for almost three whole seconds, but then it got old. And you haven't shown that any good player would be protected - only some guy who whines about bad beats.

I'm happy to see that nobody voted to have 2 pair beat 3 of a kind. This is a funny idea but it probably the worst one I have every heard :-)

you obviously don't understand the concept that you have to lose to suckouts in order to make money.
No, I don't understand how losing money makes money...care to fill me in?
It's fairly obvious. If your a 80% favorite, you should expect to get sucked out on 1 in 5 hands, which means the other 4 hands you will be winning money when your hand holds up and lose money the 1 time your hand doesn't. Now, tell me this, do you want somebody calling you down with 24 when you have Aces and Kings and it holds up? Well obviously, so you should be able to handle the small percentage of the time they suck out. If you don't get the fish calling you down as a 20% underdog, you will make less profit in the long term. If your rule was instituted, then the fish would fold their hand knowing they can not win, since they can't hit their miracle cards for a set. The only reason fish stay in a hand when they're behind is because they have the possibility of sucking out, if this opportunity was gone, they would no longer chase.