why has general started to suck?

I have noticed that some sections have an introductory thread of some sort (Off-Topic) that people should read before posting.  Would it be worth it in General to have an announcement at the top of the page detailing what threads are acceptable, rules, etc?Just a thought.
I don't think we want it to get all gestapo or anything, but a stickied thread about what constitutes "noise" and what constitutes "content" might help some posters see the light. I like how Paul P moderates his blog's comments pages. He just deletes noise (i.e. posts that bring nothing to a thread or are completely off topic).
but, then the forum would be grossly over moderated
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have noticed that some sections have an introductory thread of some sort (Off-Topic) that people should read before posting.  Would it be worth it in General to have an announcement at the top of the page detailing what threads are acceptable, rules, etc?Just a thought.
I don't think we want it to get all gestapo or anything, but a stickied thread about what constitutes "noise" and what constitutes "content" might help some posters see the light. I like how Paul P moderates his blog's comments pages. He just deletes noise (i.e. posts that bring nothing to a thread or are completely off topic).
I completely agree, and realize that's not a viable solution. Paul P explicitly states that his blog is NOT a forum, and whatever he says goes. But a stickied thread asking posters to refrain from posting pure noise couldn't hurt, could it?
your thoughts on why this forum now sucks. I think its due to newbies creating to many new topics.
Well at least we have the hideout and Off Topic. I have to say that i find myself posting a lot more in Off Topic because theres just so many pointless threads in General. It gets annoying to weed through 500 threads.

Ill try to address as much of this as possible.Basically, ya I could definately agree with your status being related to your joining date. I was reading Daniels blog starting in the early summer, and I joined FCP in like august or something, but I didnt really post much. My original s/n got all f'ed up, so I just made a new one. I didnt do it just to be a charter member. I dont even play on FCP, so that would be pointless. Yes, I have a lot of posts for the amount of time i have been on here, but I would say that only slightly more than half have been pointless and/or stupid. :-)

I have noticed that some sections have an introductory thread of some sort (Off-Topic) that people should read before posting. Would it be worth it in General to have an announcement at the top of the page detailing what threads are acceptable, rules, etc?Just a thought.
I completely agree, and realize that's not a viable solution. Paul P explicitly states that his blog is NOT a forum, and whatever he says goes. But a stickied thread asking posters to refrain from posting pure noise couldn't hurt, could it?
It'd just be one more thread that people aren't going to bother reading.

I just want to make one point and I'll leave the rest to you guys.Not to be a dick, but starting threads about how general sucks because people make 50 threads about the same thing makes no sense. It seems everyday I look in OT and another "General Sucks" thread has gotten moved over here, or has sprouted up.Personally, I don't go to general all that much, but I enjoy OT and the strat sections.I don't go around preaching in every thread about how General sucks now, and it's all the n00bs who are ruinining it for everyone, and blah blah blah.Maybe it's because I am a"n00b" since I didn't join FCP back in 1962, but personally, if you don't like General. Don't go there.Posting new threads about how General sucks for having redundant threads is just silly.

I just want to make one point and I'll leave the rest to you guys.Not to be a dick, but starting threads about how general sucks because people make 50 threads about the same thing makes no sense. It seems everyday I look in OT and another "General Sucks" thread has gotten moved over here, or has sprouted up.Personally, I don't go to general all that much, but I enjoy OT and the strat sections.I don't go around preaching in every thread about how General sucks now, and it's all the n00bs who are ruinining it for everyone, and blah blah blah.Maybe it's because I am a"n00b" since I didn't join FCP back in 1962, but personally, if you don't like General. Don't go there.Posting new threads about how General sucks for having redundant threads is just silly.
With 903 posts, you're no longer a noob.

Not to be a dick, but starting threads about how general sucks because people make 50 threads about the same thing makes no sense. Well I think it is because general use to be OK. But now a lot of the "regulars"/"oldtimers" whatever have stayed in their seperate sections (Army, strat, off topic). It use to be where everyone would go, now the site is more people going to a certain clique and everyone else murdering themselves in general.That and the fact the promotions and the poker site bring a lot of idiots.

When I posted earlier in this thread, it was in general. I don't think it should have been moved. It's about general, it was posted in general. If someone posted a topic in Off-topic about Off-topic sucking, it wouldn't be moved to general, would it?Writing that made my head hurt.
Not to be a dick, but starting threads about how general sucks because people make 50 threads about the same thing makes no sense. Well I think it is because general use to be OK.  But now a lot of the "regulars"/"oldtimers" whatever have stayed in their seperate sections (Army, strat, off topic).  It use to be where everyone would go, now the site is more people going to a certain clique and everyone else murdering themselves in general.That and the fact the promotions and the poker site bring a lot of idiots.
mark, start posting in strat again
When I posted earlier in this thread, it was in general. I don't think it should have been moved. It's about general, it was posted in general. If someone posted a topic in Off-topic about Off-topic sucking, it wouldn't be moved to general, would it?Writing that made my head hurt.
General is for poker.Off topic is not.DYSW?

Go to the members page. Seriously, do it. Click on it. Scroll down. Who do you see at #20?Anyway... my point is this. i have been here from the beginning and have seen this site evolve. Post started that the General Forum sucks somewhere in month three. I know of many posters in the begining that were very active and now we never see them at all or they no longer post in General. My theory is this... Questions like what is your favorite hand? Or what do you like best, Limit or No Limit? are appealing when you first join. General seems interesting because everyone is sharing their views on basic poker information. If you primarily play on line and never ventured into a forum before, it can be inticing. I know, because this is how I got hooked. I was one of the people who wrote all of the original lame questions to start people posting and talking. But, after a few months, you pretty much have read everything that would normally go in General execpt post about starting a game or how Daniel is doing in a game. So, you migrate more and more to other areas of the forum. When you go back, you feel like General is filled with lots of lame threads and a bunch of newbies, totally forgetting the lame threads that you started and the fact that you were also a newbie.To be honest with you all, I felt the General forum has improved tremendously of late. Just a month ago, it was a complete mess with all of the Dreamclown stuff and the endless threads of insults back and forth. Oh... and the mods can only do so much. Should we delete a thread that was a topic 2 months ago? Of course not. Most words are common in a multitude of threads. Think of how many times Hellmuth is mentioned in a thread that has absolutely nothing to do with him. So searching, though great in theory, is not always a logical option. One last thing. You guys can help out the mods. Think twice before making a new thread. Also, PM us when there are several threads populating on the same subject at the same time. If you want to go one step further, PM the links so we can act even quicker. Remember, this is a community and your help is very much appreciated. Thanks!Theresa

Theresa and all the mods:Please, please, please - how about a junk forum? I have seen it work on other sites and have suggested it here a number of times. Even Gov liked the idea.It's simple, a place where the completely worthless threads are put to die. That way they are out of general and not tossed into Off-Topic. I think people who frequent Gen and OT would appreciate not having worthless threads cluttering up the forums.And nothing ends up getting deleted.

General is for poker.Off topic is not.DYSW?
Off-Topic should not be General's trash can.
Theresa and all the mods:Please, please, please - how about a junk forum? I have seen it work on other sites and have suggested it here a number of times. Even Gov liked the idea.It's simple, a place where the completely worthless threads are put to die. That way they are out of general and not tossed into Off-Topic. I think people who frequent Gen and OT would appreciate not having worthless threads cluttering up the forums.And nothing ends up getting deleted.
before a junk forum even gets thought about, there need to be changes to the existing forum structure, IE a sports forum off shoot for OT and a short handed forum in strat. I don't think that a junk forum is of any use, and it would have to be gotten a rid of after a short period( as in a couple of months). I have seen it tried at different forums, and it has never worked(I have been posting at internet sites since 2000, though I have only read poker forums since 2003). The key is the mods being able to use their discretion wisely, posters being able to be smart about what to post, and when posters aren't smart, other posters letting them know that. I personally don't like the idea of a "junk forum" as all it does is encourage, well, junk, to be posted on a site. I'm not saying that every site should be obscenely content driven, but, what is the purpose to posting absolutely nothing in a forum of any kind
before a junk forum even gets thought about, there need to be changes to the existing forum structure, IE a sports forum off shoot for OT and a short handed forum in strat. I don't think that a junk forum is of any use, and it would have to be gotten a rid of after a short period( as in a couple of months). I have seen it tried at different forums, and it has never worked(I have been posting at internet sites since 2000, though I have only read poker forums since 2003). The key is the mods being able to use their discretion wisely, posters being able to be smart about what to post, and when posters aren't smart, other posters letting them know that. I personally don't like the idea of a "junk forum" as all it does is encourage, well, junk, to be posted on a site. I'm not saying that every site should be obscenely content driven, but, what is the purpose to posting absolutely nothing in a forum of any kind
I have been posting at forums for quite awhile myself (earlier than 2000) and I have seen a large number of sites have a ton of success with a junk forum. It eliminates threads being dumped from forum to forum, and is a back-up for when moderators "discretion" isn't up to par. Not having it here, or at least trying it, would be a serious error in judgment.

A junk forum is up to the admins, not the mods. You may want to place this in the suggestion area.I am always up for what the consensus wants. I have seen other things works on other forums as well. I think having an open mind is best with these ideas. I think I will spend the next week or so checking out lots of other forums and ones that are not about poker. I also agree that Off Topic should not be the junk forum. Off Topic to me means topics that are not related to poker; not topics that have to do with forum members flaming each other, etc. I doubt if you will see any major changes until the new software is launched. It doesn't make sense to do work twice. I have faith that the admins will listen to the suggestions and make smart choice based on what has been discussed.

General sucks because of topics like, "Does Chip Shuffling Give You Carpal Tunnel?" or "Watching Poker As An Olympic Sport." These are the first topics people are seeing as they open the General Forum. Is there any reason why we're still taken seriously as a poker forum?Honestly.General sucks too, because the quality of posters has changed. The 'talent pool' has been diluted since a lot of the good posters have left the site all together (Iveyfan, Smash?, Clashcityrocker, DKE, DCSports, Marion?). Not to mention the influx of new posters. We all have our forums that we spend most of our time in, let it stand like that. Why try and revamp the general forum or crusade to have it a better place? If it chokes on itself, it chokes on itself. Personally, I'd like to see it deleted all together. Or locked as a forum, if you don't want to delete it. It really serves no purpose. Nearly every post in that forum can go somewhere else and that encourages people to go to the forums that don't get a lot of run.Just tossing these out there as changes I've suggested or that I'd like to suggest that I think make a lot of sense..--Delete General, Immediately--Add Sports Forum as a sub forum of Off Topic(I believe this will be possible under the new site release? With sub-forums?)--Add Music Forum as a sub forum of Off Topic--Add Religion and Politics Forum as a sub forum of Off Topic(If I read another topic about how God does or doesn't exist or why Fox News is Satan himself, I'm going to stab myself in the face--seriously.)--Add short handed LHE and NLHE to Strat--Add a 'Brag Posts' Forum or combine it to be 'Bad Beats and Brag Posts'--Add Mid-Stakes NLHE to Strat(2/4, 3/6 and 5/10, we're getting more of these and the strategy is completely different than .05/.10 and .25/.50)Organizing and sectioning off will make this site more user friendly, more aesthetically pleasing, create richer content and better discussion as people will tend to stick with the forums they know. We've got like 16k members now, this place isn't going to survive if we don't expand with it.

--Add Religion and Politics Forum as a sub forum of Off Topic(If I read another topic about how God does or doesn't exist or why Fox News is Satan himself, I'm going to stab myself in the face--seriously.)
Come on, dude. The entire channel can't be satan. Roger Ailes could be. Rupert Murdoch could be. Just saying. :club:
--Add Religion and Politics Forum as a sub forum of Off Topic(If I read another topic about how God does or doesn't exist or why Fox News is Satan himself, I'm going to stab myself in the face--seriously.)
Come on, dude. The entire channel can't be satan. Roger Ailes could be. Rupert Murdoch could be. Just saying. :club:
Heh, you know what's weird? I wasn't even referring to you so much as I was the random "Bush is an evil bastard" posts that seem to pop up with some regularity in the middle of completely unrelated threads.