the numbers game

all depends on who you are playing. I use both numbers and my instincts to make calls or raises. Sometimes one more then the other...

Is anyone else getting sick of these "Math vs. Instincts" threads? The way that the question is so often framed, it becomes really meaningless. Every decision in every hand involves both reading ability and poker math. The two are inseparable.

I think it is important to know the numbers, however, many times what happens at the table is more instinctual than mathematical.For instance, the other day I was deep in a tourn and went head to head with the cl. I had raised preflop and bet out post flop, he just called. I checked the turn, as did the other guy. River was a blank for me, I checked and the other guy put out a pot sized bet. With middle pair I really did not have pot odds to call. My instinct and knowledge of his betting patterns allowed me not only make the call, but push my remaining chips in. I dragged a big pot that propelled me to the final table when he showed Ace high.There are also times when pot odds dictate that you call regardless of your cards but you know you have 2nd or 3rd best hand. In that case, you should fold and hang on to your chips for when you have the best hand.I am not saying you should completely disregard the math, but it should not be your only criteria for decision making at the table. Feel free to pick me apart on this one, I know there are people that are much more successful than I who disagree.

anyone care to digress
Yeah, no offense, but if you're going to use a term, use it correctly. To digress does not mean to disagree or even to respond to. Digress means stray off a topic when speaking/writing about it. Thus, by asking someone to "disgress", you're asking for your thread to be hijacked.Read The Professor, the Banker, and the Suicide King for an interesting discussion on the topic.
anyone care to digress
Yeah, no offense, but if you're going to use a term, use it correctly. To digress does not mean to disagree or even to respond to. Digress means stray off a topic when speaking/writing about it. Thus, by asking someone to "disgress", you're asking for your thread to be hijacked.Read The Professor, the Banker, and the Suicide King for an interesting discussion on the topic.
i am aware of this. after no response all i wanted was to talk about anything